P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

12 hours ago, Ardennais said:

Don’t be daft. We’ve been in lockdown in Wales since before Christmas but this county (Gwynedd) has low rates so certain years were due to return tomorrow. She HAD prepared during the holiday for them to open tomorrow but was told this afternoon that it’s all online until the 18th. If you knew anything about teaching you’d realise that it takes hours to prep for normal teaching. Then now another method has to be utilised at short notice. Blended learning takes hours and hours of prep. 

So.......i don't see what the moanings for,she's still being paid,just tell her to do your job to the best of her ability and try and remember that that these are exceptional times for us all.

I wonder if teachers moaned about sudden changes in the plans during the height of the second world war?

Tell your daughter,who i'm sure is a wonderful teacher,not to set too much hope on the 18th(feb?),her planning has to be extremely flexible and be a little bit more understanding.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

We had the book of remembrance visit booked online for March for my late dad.

Yesterday the council cancelled our visit and said visits are cancelled until further notice.

Do they know something we don't?.

No,they don't know anything we don't,all there doing is preparing for the vaccine to take a lot longer than mid feb.,now you know as well.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mr.Clive Browne said:

I wonder if teachers moaned about sudden changes in the plans during the height of the second world war?

Not WW2, but my Mum was a teacher in the Soviet Union in the late 50's-mid 60's.  After Krushchev exposed Stalin for the mass murderer that he was, Mum and all the other teachers had to tear out the pages relating to Stalin in the history books.  Mind you, they might not have moaned about that change!

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Hey ho, my last day in the office again.  Working from home as of tomorrow.  Sigh.

Our daughter inlaw has spent most of this last year working from home and loves it.They have a son,10,off school till "maybe"march and she does not miss the commute.Of course this suits some more than others and hope your one of them.

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

Sorry to hear that Michelle.

The case is locked with the books of remembrances in and opened in the morning at that date then locked again.

We go to look at the book and to leave some flowers.

That is so nice, I have never heard of that before 

Michelle

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr.Clive Browne said:

So.......i don't see what the moanings for,she's still being paid,just tell her to do your job to the best of her ability and try and remember that that these are exceptional times for us all.

Tell your daughter,who i'm sure is a wonderful teacher,not to set too much hope on the 18th(feb?),her planning has to be extremely flexible and be a little bit more understanding.

You really have no idea do you!

• Like 5

2 hours ago, zap99 said:

Graham. I'm sure teachers can make their case via their representatives. What I do not agree with is that folk think that continually calling folk incompetent is a pleasant quip. They are making lifesaving decisions and working silly hours to keep us alive. They don't need the insults and it reflects more on the insultee.

If that is aimed at me then as NHS staff I will call it as I see it and make no apologies for that. 

The tone on here has become most unpleasant and no longer somewhere I feel comfortable posting so I’ll bid you adieu.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr.Clive Browne said:

And where did you see any mention of moaning? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lancashire_cruisers said:

If that is aimed at me then as NHS staff I will call it as I see it and make no apologies for that. 

The tone on here has become most unpleasant and no longer somewhere I feel comfortable posting so I’ll bid you adieu.

The post was in reply to somebody ending their post by calling decision makers incompetent. Nasty, unnecessary comment about people trying to keep us alive My post did not mention you, or NHS staff. Just pointing out that people outside the loop don't know as much about organisation of multi skilled and disciplined teams as the think they do. Insults all the time reflect in the people making the insults. If you care to read my posts you will find unquestioned support for scientist, professionals and officials and NHS.

7 minutes ago, lancashire_cruisers said:

Please don’t. It’s good to see people still in work posting here with their perspective on things. 

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, lancashire_cruisers said:

Please don't go anywhere. There's one particular poster who has upset the applecart numerous times now and has to be doing it deliberately to fulfil something missing in his/her life; I would hate for the decent posters to be driven away, and you're one of them. 

• Like 10

Use the ignore facility to remove yourself from seeing posts which upset.  I’ve just checked and I’m kinda surprised kinda saddened to see that I have accrued an Ignore list of 8 😳. (Some are probably people who are long gone anyway)

It feels a bit sad but I enjoy it here, mostly, and I will not let characters with whom I feel no connection cause me to leave.  It feels like self preservation.  We all need to put ourselves first.  Maybe that’s what They are doing too?  If we ignore each other the forum can be there for everyone 

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, lancashire_cruisers said:

You are correct and I take my share of that criticism for having risen to the bait and responded when I should have ignored.

Please don’t go anywhere. You are right, we need to make the tone more pleasant again.

Edited by Eglesbrech
Spelling
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, grapau27 said:

So you don't think there should be any protection for teacher's?

That's what I was answering Lancashire cruisers.

There may be a case for older teachers and those with certain health issues to be given the vaccination ahead of their normal slot. However there are very many other groups of workers who could equally claim they should be vaccinated immediately. But the health advice is still that, apart from certain health conditions, age is the most important factor in determining risk.

Working hard in my office, inundated with client calls about new furlough claims, so come on CC during a five minute break for some light relief.

Think I'll get back to work ASAP based on what has been recently posted😂

Edited by Esprit
  • Like 1

It is a great pity that there has been a bit of a political slanging match on here.  I feel sure that a lot of it has to do with the fact that we are all feeling under stress at present - unsurprisingly.

I watched some BBC news just before 1, and was impressed by interviews with various NHS staff workers, mainly doctors and nurses.  I hope it will be shown again, frequently, as it does put everything into perspective - and was aimed in part at those who think they are impervious to catching covid, or to being very ill  with it, and hopefully should be a salutary reminder of the situation.

• Like 7

17 hours ago, Ardennais said:

Or, like my daughter, trying to sort online lessons tonight having been in school during the holiday preparing lessons, photocopying, setting up practical tasks just to be told late this afternoon that school will be closed until Jan 18th. 

So where’s the moaning? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, lincslady said:

It is a great pity that there has been a bit of a political slanging match on here.  I feel sure that a lot of it has to do with the fact that we are all feeling under stress at present - unsurprisingly.

I watched some BBC news just before 1, and was impressed by interviews with various NHS staff workers, mainly doctors and nurses.  I hope it will be shown again, frequently, as it does put everything into perspective - and was aimed in part at those who think they are impervious to catching covid, or to being very ill  with it, and hopefully should be a salutary reminder of the situation.

It's not a slanging match,it's just people expressing their opinions and understandings of how they view the situation that we have all found ourselves in.You mention the BBC NEWS,did you manage to watch the nurse on there the other day saying how the childrens ward was full of covid patients?

59 minutes ago, lancashire_cruisers said:

Please don't go.

I've seriously considered not posting anymore, due to the behaviour of just a couple of people, but everyone else made me feel part of the gang so I felt encouraged to stay.

I've really valued your posts that I've seen over the last few days, as it is important to me to hear from people in the front line. I do hope you'll keep posting.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

Stating facts.

It's my opinion that what i read in 12664 was somebody moaning about what his daughter had been through the day prior to the post.You were responding to someone elses comment in 12664 and after reading it in it's entirity in my opinion you were moaning.If you were not moaning and your intention was not to moan then i can only apologise for my comment about you moaning,which you have said you were not moaning.Hope this clears it up about the moaning that you feel was inacurate.