P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

9 hours ago, tring said:

Oh dear, really sounds a good idea that we have adopted the "If we can't beat um, join um" club, by booing a cruise on Sky Princess as a second trial to our Iona cruise.  As the alternative seems to be becoming "big spenders" it is at least worth a try of the big ships first.  Things have been looking just worse and worse of late, so I have been wondering about a lot of businesses, especially holiday companies.

I had asked on a previous thread if you knew whether people in balcony cabins would be moved to another balcony cabin if they test positive for COVID and then moved to a quarantine area of the ship - do you know anything about that?  Being moved would be a nuisance, but would not want to go on a cruise at all if we were risking being locked in a cabin without a balcony.

Thanks a lot for all the insight you have been able to give us about possible future happenings.  We may not be happy about some of them, but it is better to prepared for possible bad news.

Hope for the best prepare for the worst.

• Like 2

We have got -1c with -5c chill and the ground has hard frost .

Ages ago we bought a cheap roller set as we wanted a cheap brush that was within the paint set. We had no use for the paint roller tray ,so I have used it as a ground level bird bath and they love it .

The Mrs has just been out and put slightly aired water into the tray and the birds were on it in minutes having a good old bath and a drink . They seem to prefer the tray to the bird bath :classic_unsure:

Edited by kalos
  • Like 4

18 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

Definitely heavy snow in StokeIMG_20210123_091636.thumb.jpg.0b2f90cd031c7ea3b39ad8030eb86c93.jpg

We’ve one happy dog who enjoyed his walk this morning. Much more preferable to the ice we have had for much of the last week. Mind you, snow seems to have paused now, just hope Ocado are able to battle through to reach us

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, kalos said:

We have got -1c with -5c chill and the ground has hard frost .

Ages ago we bought a cheap roller set as we wanted a cheap brush that was within the paint set. We had no use for the paint roller tray ,so I have used it as a ground level bird bath and they love it .

The Mrs has just been out and put slightly aired water into the tray and the birds were on it in minutes having a good old bath and a drink . They seem to prefer the tray to the bird bath :classic_unsure:

Breakfast for the local cats?🤨

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, pete14 said:

An extra powerful supersoaker works, as does keeping the bird food high up. That is on the presumption that birds can fly ,but cats can't. They can jump quite high with the encouragement of a good water pistol.

3 hours ago, Angel57 said:

Oh dear. That sounds like an ominous Hmmm. 😢

The longer the no sail goes on the chances of more ships leaving will increase.

The fact carnival said 1 more ship to leave then we hear of the Pacific Princess sale would indicate this was the 1 they were talking about.

1 minute ago, pete14 said:

Street cred or should I say garden cred birds :classic_wink: The garden is pretty large and the birds seem to look out for each other. Like the other afternoon when Mr Sparrow hawk came for a visit Quick as a flash , not a bird to be seen all hidden in the Hawthorn, holly and brambleberry . One Magpie and one Blackbird were brave enough to show themselves and tell Mr sparrow hawk the game is up , just like they do if a cat should come by . It's the breeding season when we get a few casualties but ..that's life .

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

The fact carnival said 1 more ship to leave then we hear of the Pacific Princess sale would indicate this was the 1 they were talking about.

This is far from over Graham, further sales or consolidations could happen to any line in coming months.

Edited by Bloodaxe
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

I hope you right, but I have to say I am not that optimistic.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bloodaxe said:

This is far from over Graham, further sales or consolidations could happen to any line in coming months.

Of course they could that's why I said the longer the no sail continues the chances of more ships leaving will increase and this would apply to every cruiseline.

A lot of fellow posters love Aurora and Arcadia and the sale of Pacific Princess in the short term should alleviate their worries of Carnival disposing of either of these P&O favourites.

There was talk of RC and NCL joining up a while back.

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

The first time we went to Orlando Florida in 1992 when we got on our Thomson flight at Newcastle the first thing we heard was 

Neil Diamond Were Going to America being played on the planes tannoy.

It really got us in the spirit.

Oh yes, a lovely memory for me too!  It wasn't my first visit when I heard it, but it still made an impression.  That, and the warm 'tropical-mixed-with-kerosene' smell as you exit the airport building. My first visit was in 1988 and my son was just 8 years old - a perfect time and we have been fortunate enough to visit Florida every year since then, often at the end of a trip elsewhere, and, deep breath, I have even booked flights to Tampa for the end of September this year 🤞. They are Amex 2-4-1 Club class flights postponed from this month, so 'only' taxes paid and are fully refundable, but it's just so nice to plan.

• Like 3

Its just started snowing here too. I hope Arcadia or Aurora haven't been sold but Molecrochip does seem to have some 'inside' knowledge and I can remember him saying previously that any ship is for sale at the right price.I wonder if there will be an announcement on tues at 10am?Hopefully if there is it will be about some really cheap cruises rather than a sale of a ship

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, pete14 said:

We’ve one happy dog who enjoyed his walk this morning. Much more preferable to the ice we have had for much of the last week. Mind you, snow seems to have paused now, just hope Ocado are able to battle through to reach us

Ocado- no problem. All stocked up now for the next week.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, ann141 said:

Its just started snowing here too. I hope Arcadia or Aurora haven't been sold but Molecrochip does seem to have some 'inside' knowledge and I can remember him saying previously that any ship is for sale at the right price.I wonder if there will be an announcement on tues at 10am?Hopefully if there is it will be about some really cheap cruises rather than a sale of a ship

Let's hope so 👍

Beautiful but cold day here in Teignmouth. Calm sea. Our P&O ships have deserted us. We had Azura, Ventura and Arcadia through the Christmas period but they've all gone.

Queen Victoria and Marella Explorer 1&2 are the only ones left, although I believe Queen Mary 2 is coming back.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AnnieC said:

Grey, dull and cold here, but a spot of brightness in the gloom: about once a year I'm lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time to spot a green woodpecker on my lawn, and today's the day.😄

Let's all hope it's a good omen for the future.

Avril

• Like 3

13 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Thanks for the info but I am a wine man really, I just enjoy a nice IPA occasionally.

Well here is some information that you might find useful, something that brightened my morning too. My favourite wine merchants is now doing a very decent red bag in a box style, perfect for taking onboard for a glass on the balcony.

I’ve tried other box wines and they are usually passable but not great. I have however had a case of stones and bones before and it’s a very drinkable Portuguese. 

Has anyone found other decent wines in a box? I’ve tried a few from supermarkets but they never quite hit the mark for me. Red in this form is particularly handy as I’m the only one who drinks it so the bottle spoils before I get round to finishing it, goes flabby after a couple of days even with a cap on and ends up in the spag Bol.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, ann141 said:

The sale of Azamara shows any sale is possible.