P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

4 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

Morning Ann, John is going back to work tomorrow 😱 The first day he could have gone back was yesterday but he wasn’t happy to do that. It was due to be his rota day off today so his manager suggested he goes back tomorrow. He told them he couldn’t guarantee he’d be working very speedily and the manager told him to go at his own pace. I’m a bit worried he’ll overdo it but we’ll see. Seems he got a mild dose ( I hope, bit reluctant to say he’s recovered yet) but his main symptoms were a cough, lack of appetite and very tired.

I think I may have had a milder version of John’s symptoms but didn’t get a test. Hopefully my vaccine protected me even though I only had it a week before John got ill.

It’s my afternoon shift today and the sun is out so we’re going to take a gentle walk in a while.

Great news you both seem to have had a mild dose of covid19.

Pauline reminded me I could hardly speak for a couple of weeks during my covid19 and I just put my thumb up if she asked if I needed anything.👍

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

Just to say, whilst I remember, that Richard Osman’s book, The Thursday Murder Club, is being read on Radio4, 10.45 - 11pm, Monday to Friday for the next 2 weeks, starting Monday coming 

I finished reading it for myself last weekend, I think.  It was fine.  I thought the “denouements” were a little weak but by the time I’d got to the end I was happy with the characters etc.  I’d quite like to have it read to me!  
I see he’s sold the film rights.  It will be a good film - I can imagine the British acting ‘national treasures’ who will take the senior citizen roles.  Judi Dench as Elizabeth, for sure, Michael Caine as Ron, etc

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000rmhy

I enjoyed reading the book so would love to watch the film.Agree about Judi Dench and Michael Caine

37 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

Just to say, whilst I remember, that Richard Osman’s book, The Thursday Murder Club, is being read on Radio4, 10.45 - 11pm, Monday to Friday for the next 2 weeks, starting Monday coming 

I finished reading it for myself last weekend, I think.  It was fine.  I thought the “denouements” were a little weak but by the time I’d got to the end I was happy with the characters etc.  I’d quite like to have it read to me!  
I see he’s sold the film rights.  It will be a good film - I can imagine the British acting ‘national treasures’ who will take the senior citizen roles.  Judi Dench as Elizabeth, for sure, Michael Caine as Ron, etc

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000rmhy

I liked the sound of that book but it’s a little expensive for my kindle at the moment! I’ll keep checking, the prices normally go down after a while!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zap99 said:

Perhaps he is going to say " remember all those posts 10 days ago on cruise critic?. Over promising, underdelivering. Unrealistic targets etc. Well today's number vaccinated is overdelivered and underpromised".👅

Not in Barnsley they're not. We have been over promised and under delivered. The statistics quoted are for the country as a  whole and doesn't give an accurate picture across individual areas. According to our local NHS, we are still only halfway through group 1. Now we are having half our alotted vaccine re-routed beause we are doing so much better in Yorkshire than other areas so we are 'offered' our jabs with a 50 mile round trip. Let's see what else is instore for  the north at 5pm

Avril

• Like 6

1 hour ago, AnnieC said:

Ditto, except mine was a delivery this morning; all present and correct. Hope Eglesbrech's supplies have improved.

Talked to a florist friend this morning and she is rushed off her feet with funeral flowers. Desperately sad.

Not only did I not get the list I whinged about in advance of the delivery that I was told were out of stock I also didn’t get 8 more items on the day. Diverse items form fresh beetroot through to whole meal wraps. 

I have my order in for next week and there are lots of big yellow “ out of stock” labels on a lot of the fresh fruit and veg yet again. Hopefully it improves soon or my skin will be turning Trump orange with all the beta carotene!🥕plenty carrot and turnip.

We are not however as bad as Northern Ireland where the shelf’s are apparently quite empty. This was discussed on question time last night.

glad you got yours 😀

• Like 2

23 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Just had our weekly delivery from Sainsbugs and the only thing missing was my 4 pack of Brewdog Punk IPA. That certainly is not due to import issues  more likely it's because we are all drinking more at home during this pandemic.

I am an “equity punk” and buy it in bulk direct from the company. I really enjoy their alchol free beers. You should have a look as they have a good sale on at the moment.

Just had an email from my travel insurance company regarding our Lanzarote holiday last November,  which we had to curtail, due to the new lockdown measures implemented just as we flew out of the UK

I basically made a claim for a pro rata refund of the unused elements of the holiday: villa hire, car hire, car parking. They are paying out my claim in full, less the excess. Result! 

Means that half the cost of our October Princess cruise is now covered.

Can't stop smiling in these miserable times!

• Like 14
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

Not in Barnsley they're not. We have been over promised and under delivered. The statistics quoted are for the country as a  whole and doesn't give an accurate picture across individual areas. According to our local NHS, we are still only halfway through group 1. Now we are having half our alotted vaccine re-routed beause we are doing so much better in Yorkshire than other areas so we are 'offered' our jabs with a 50 mile round trip. Let's see what else is instore for  the north at 5pm

Avril

As far as I can tell down here we are still waiting to get going. According to the local news a few weeks ago there's a surgery in Penzance administering vaccines. The only people I have heard of having had the vaccination are the priest in Penzance and my daughter, who's a nurse, my mother who's 88 is still waiting!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, purplesea said:

Very true.

It's also very apt as today is my daughter's birthday and at her christening the priest was saying that she had joined everyone on The Train of Life.

Sending happy birthday wishes to your daughter from both of us.

Graham & Pauline x

5 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

I am an “equity punk” and buy it in bulk direct from the company. I really enjoy their alchol free beers. You should have a look as they have a good sale on at the moment.

Thanks for the info but I am a wine man really, I just enjoy a nice IPA occasionally.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Just watching Neil Diamond at Glastonbury on telly. 

2 things stand out, his songs so remind us of cruising and secondly... 

I can't imagine that many people ever being crammed in a field ever again. 

How times have changed so quickly. 

Andy 

Off to watch now

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Angel57 said:

Everything delivered to me this morning too. Happy Days!

Our Tesco delivery this morning one item not available French St Agur cheese, which we us in making sauces for pasta, 2 week it’s been out of stock, only 1 pack of the Lavazza decaff ground coffee (comes from Italy), instead of 2 ordered, out of boxes of 6 eggs so got a dozen for price of six, bonus! Plus the leeks were huge almost 2ft long, had to trim them down it get in veg box! 

Edited by Snow Hill
Typo
  • Like 4

26 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

Hmmm

Oh dear, really sounds a good idea that we have adopted the "If we can't beat um, join um" club, by booing a cruise on Sky Princess as a second trial to our Iona cruise.  As the alternative seems to be becoming "big spenders" it is at least worth a try of the big ships first.  Things have been looking just worse and worse of late, so I have been wondering about a lot of businesses, especially holiday companies.

I had asked on a previous thread if you knew whether people in balcony cabins would be moved to another balcony cabin if they test positive for COVID and then moved to a quarantine area of the ship - do you know anything about that?  Being moved would be a nuisance, but would not want to go on a cruise at all if we were risking being locked in a cabin without a balcony.

Thanks a lot for all the insight you have been able to give us about possible future happenings.  We may not be happy about some of them, but it is better to prepared for possible bad news.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, tring said:

Oh dear, really sounds a good idea that we have adopted the "If we can't beat um, join um" club, by booing a cruise on Sky Princess as a second trial to our Iona cruise.  As the alternative seems to be becoming "big spenders" it is at least worth a try of the big ships first.  Things have been looking just worse and worse of late, so I have been wondering about a lot of businesses, especially holiday companies.

I had asked on a previous thread if you knew whether people in balcony cabins would be moved to another balcony cabin if they test positive for COVID and then moved to a quarantine area of the ship - do you know anything about that?  Being moved would be a nuisance, but would not want to go on a cruise at all if we were risking being locked in a cabin without a balcony.

Thanks a lot for all the insight you have been able to give us about possible future happenings.  We may not be happy about some of them, but it is better to prepared for possible bad news.

Sounds worrying about the future of Arcadia and Aurora.However along with Aurora, Britannia is our favourite ship which I think is similar in size to Sky Princess so hopefully should be ok 🙂 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

Just watching Neil Diamond at Glastonbury on telly. 

2 things stand out, his songs so remind us of cruising and secondly... 

I can't imagine that many people ever being crammed in a field ever again. 

How times have changed so quickly. 

Andy 

The first time we went to Orlando Florida in 1992 when we got on our Thomson flight at Newcastle the first thing we heard was 

Neil Diamond Were Going to America being played on the planes tannoy.

It really got us in the spirit.

This morning it is -3 sunny but a hard frost.

A nice cosy day in the house watching TV today.

Graham.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

The first time we went to Orlando Florida in 1992 when we got on our Thomson flight at Newcastle the first thing we heard was 

Neil Diamond Were Going to America being played on the planes tannoy.

It really got us in the spirit.

This morning it is -3 sunny but a hard frost.

A nice cosy day in the house watching TV today.

Graham.

Happy reminiscences Graham, I remember Thomson playing a whole host of "America" themed songs as we taxied to our stand at Orlando Sanford airport way back in the 90s on our way to a Florida villa holiday.

Edited by terrierjohn
  • Like 1