P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

7 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

They won’t progress up the scale unless they achieve their PM targets. 

I often wonder whether many teacher bashers had a poor experience in school themselves! 

My teachers were fantastic - gave up many extra hours,  weekends even, to help me and my fellow students. 

The teaching unions are the ones selling their members down the river. (Can I say that these days?)

But the unions are the teachers! You can’t separate one from the other. I’m only a union member to protect myself, and that’s true of most teachers. 
And teachers still devote hours to extra-curricular activities of all kinds today, but that is so often overlooked. 
It’s a real shame that some people’s perceptions of the profession are so off the mark. Luckily around here, teachers are mostly respected as schools are at the centre of our communities and people can see for themselves what goes on. 

• Like 8

29 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

But the unions are the teachers! You can’t separate one from the other. I’m only a union member to protect myself, and that’s true of most teachers. 
And teachers still devote hours to extra-curricular activities of all kinds today, but that is so often overlooked. 
It’s a real shame that some people’s perceptions of the profession are so off the mark. Luckily around here, teachers are mostly respected as schools are at the centre of our communities and people can see for themselves what goes on. 

Derek Robbinson and Arthur Scargill were elected by their unions as well, and look how that turned out! 

As a union member, of course you need to have representation, but I would argue that some union leaders do not fully represent the views of their members, and have their own political agendas which do not necessarily correspond with the needs of their members   . (See above examples)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Derek Robbinson and Arthur Scargill were elected by their unions as well, and look how that turned out! 

As a union member, of course you need to have representation, but I would argue that some union leaders do not fully represent the views of their members, and have their own political agendas which do not necessarily correspond with the needs of their members   . (See above examples)

That’s probably true of most union leaders, so why just highlight the teaching unions? My union, UCAC, is quite moderate. And why the need to automatically ask what teachers are doing  just because some children are roaming around.? As others have right.said, there has to be some personal responsibility too. It’s a partnership between the school and the home, and some people forget that. 

I too had many wonderful teachers and some pretty poor ones who wouldn’t last a day nowadays. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, wowzz said:

I'm sure you deserve your break. 

But, given the number of children that I see out and about, not in school, what are their teachers doing?

I can only speak for my son’s year at our local school. There are just under 60 kids split across 2 classes. Around 20 kids are in school being taught by a teacher & TA. The rest of the year are home learning via Microsoft Teams hosted by a teacher & TA. The home learning is a full on day from 8:45am to 3:15pm, and the kids have to wear uniform & have their device camera on so that the teacher & TA know who is logging in & can keep an eye on them. The teachers & TA’s alternate between being in school or hosting home learning week by week.

That’s just our school & I’m full of admiration for their organisation. However, I know from friends that other schools are less well organised & it seems to me that this is down to each individual school trust. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, wowzz said:

The issue is that the poor teachers are getting the same salary as the ones working all hours. 

Wowzz, what IS your gripe with teachers and the teaching unions?  Teaching is much like any other profession - good ones and not so good.  The good get on, the bad lose their jobs - yes, really.

Unions are there to protect members.  What's the problem with that?  Doctors have a union, solicitors have a union.  Most Amazon and Sports Direct workers don't - and look what goes on there.  Look what goes on in so many union-free clothing factories.

Teachers do a great job in very difficult circumstances.  Most of us don't have the skills to do it, but constantly knocking the people who educate our children is pointless. 

• Like 15

12 hours ago, pete14 said:

Just to update, one of us will have the NHS vaccination on Wednesday, one won’t need to ☹️😊

I take it one of you had the Novavax vaccine then.  Out of interest, did the one who had the Novavax have any reactions to it ?  I suspected that I had had the vaccine because I had an uncomfortable night after I had my 2 jab (which I now know was the vaccine) because every time I turned on to my side where I had been jabbed my arm hurt and it was also warm to touch.  Sorry that one of you has to go through being vaccinated again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

Wowzz, what IS your gripe with teachers and the teaching unions?  Teaching is much like any other profession - good ones and not so good.  The good get on, the bad lose their jobs - yes, really.

Unions are there to protect members.  What's the problem with that?  Doctors have a union, solicitors have a union.  Most Amazon and Sports Direct workers don't - and look what goes on there.  Look what goes on in so many union-free clothing factories.

Teachers do a great job in very difficult circumstances.  Most of us don't have the skills to do it, but constantly knocking the people who educate our children is pointless. 

Well said.  I know that I would never have had the patience to teach.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

If we did not have unions we would still be 'enjoying' Victorian working conditions. Opinions are viewed by many through a political filter which distorts their judgement.

• Like 7

Good morning , nope no side effects from yesterdays jab . I'm glad I had the jab 
now I have more chance of avoiding  the more nasty side effects that covid could 
give me. Apparently one of the side effects of coronavirus is no taste...
Getting really worried about our next door neighbour as he keeps
playing his Vengaboys record collection . :classic_unsure:

This morning around here is -4.c with a -13.c chill ,it's a wrap up well day .

Not that I'm going anywhere but if you are Keep safe and have a good day .:classic_smile:

• Like 12

Morning all.  Still cold 🥶 I’ve had more than enough but, at this time of year, I suspect that almost every potential change will still bring complaints - too much rain, too muddy, dull, etc.  It’ll soon be March & then we really talk of spring.  
By the way - if we changed the clocks “symmetrically “, either side of the shortest day, we’d be doing it this weekend!  Evenings with light in the sky till about a quarter to seven (round these parts anyway).  Imagine what a lift that would give us.  I’ll never understand why the powers that be decided they’d leave us in the dark’ till the last weekend in March.

And one more thought - I think I read that the EU is not going to stop changing clocks sometime soon.  Wonder what we’ll do?

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

I take it one of you had the Novavax vaccine then.  Out of interest, did the one who had the Novavax have any reactions to it ?  I suspected that I had had the vaccine because I had an uncomfortable night after I had my 2 jab (which I now know was the vaccine) because every time I turned on to my side where I had been jabbed my arm hurt and it was also warm to touch.  Sorry that one of you has to go through being vaccinated again.

One of us had the vaccination and had no adverse reaction, nor did the one who had an armful of salt water.

• Like 3

I hope everyone is looking forward to some "Spring " like weather .

They say it could warm up a bit later in the week . Last week people

were posting photos of Snowdrops &  Daffodils  which like my photo

proves to us ,Spring is really just around the corner :classic_unsure::classic_love::classic_biggrin:

SPRING2.jpg.6a5d2f43135de3485ce328f05f4e51eb.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

31 minutes ago, kalos said:

Good morning , nope no side effects from yesterdays jab . I'm glad I had the jab 
now I have more chance of avoiding  the more nasty side effects that covid could 

Not that I'm going anywhere but if you are Keep safe and have a good day .:classic_smile:

Just resist swapping it for your Macerana cd.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

I wouldn't think that after almost 12 months of home schooling just one child, you'd find  any parent that doesn't appreciate  the work that teachers do.

Avril

• Like 8

48 minutes ago, kalos said:

Glad you had you jab Kalos and feeling good , hope everyone is feeling good and happy today on yet another chilly day , I’m just about catching up on here , been going to bed very late for us around midnight as we have been watching cnn news the trump impeachment trial since Wednesday, should be finishing today , we have not had a invite yet for our jabs we’re a bit too young 😂 but I’m sure it will not be too long before they start the 60 years up wards 

Have a good relaxing warm day everyone 😍

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Ardennais said:

The major problem with any union organisation is that most activists are very left wing in their views.  When I first started working I did join NALGO and in fact deputised for a union rep  colleague at meetings for about 6 months, that experience of needless discussions about trivia, and the bully boy tactics used by the left wingers to silence any dissent, stayed with me throughout my working life, and soured my views about trade unions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kalos said:

I hope everyone is looking forward to some "Spring " like weather .

They say it could warm up a bit later in the week . Last week people

were posting photos of Snowdrops &  Daffodils  which like my photo

proves to us ,Spring is really just around the corner :classic_unsure::classic_love::classic_biggrin:

SPRING2.jpg.6a5d2f43135de3485ce328f05f4e51eb.jpg

"Say what you see?"

• Like 1

My wife got a call yesterday to present herself at Nightingale Hospital in Harrogate at 8:30am today for a scan so all three of us were out at 7:30am for a 2 hour round trip in the cold (the car thermometer said -3C). As soon as I got home it was straight back out to another hospital to deliver papers for my dad who's been admitted again. I'm now happily back home with a very large cup of coffee but if anyone wants taxi-ing or deliveries to hospitals I'm your man.

Edited by DamianG
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, DamianG said:

My wife got a call yesterday to present herself at Nightingale Hospital 8:30am today for a scan so all three of us were out at 7:30am for a 2 hour round trip in the cold (the car thermometer said -3C). As soon as I got home it was straight back out to another hospital to deliver papers for my dad who's been admitted again. I'm now happily back home with a very large cup of coffee but if anyone wants taxi-ing or deliveries to hospitals I'm your man.

Enjoy the coffee, sounds like you deserve it after all that running around.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, kalos said:

-2°C here, sunny,no new snow but plenty of snow still lying on the ground.

Pleased you have had no side effects Kalos.

I lost my taste for a short time then it was hit and miss for about 4 weeks where I could taste things briefly then not at all.

I lost 7lb  in weight with not eating but now taste is back the weight has returned.

Take care everyone and good luck to those getting vaccines today or next week.

Graham.

• Like 3