P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

1 hour ago, Vampiress88 said:

I’d have said bread cake. 
would never have said teacake! That’s got currents in it. Can you imagine going to a cafe and asking for tea cake for you breakfast and they just give you one of these. 
In the chippy tho wouldn’t you just say a chip butty?

At last someone who knows what a round lump of bread is... It's A Breadcake but then she would know this

being from the same town as me .:classic_smile:

Vamps is spot on when she says Teacakes have currants in them .

Apart from that Teacakes can be classed as a very mild insult/telling off:classic_unsure: 

How many can remember years ago maybe your Granddad saying ..

"What are you doing ? You are a right Teacake " If he thought what you were doing was not right.

Thinking about it I got upgraded to a "Barm pot" ,which is another name for a breadcake but this ones in a pot .:classic_wacko: 

Does anyone own one of these vessels and if so what do you do with it ?

Keep your breadcakes inside it maybe ? :classic_tongue::classic_biggrin:     865730878_imagesweekend.png.a834a85f9a2b0b8e97a977dee8ee534d.png

Edited by kalos
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, kalos said:

At last someone who knows what a round lump of bread is... It's A Breadcake but then she would know this

Apart from that Teacakes can be classed as a very mild insult/telling off:classic_unsure: 

"What are you doing ? You are a right Teacake " If he thought what you were doing was not right.

Thinking about it I got upgraded to a "Barm pot" ,which is another name for a breadcake but this ones in a pot .:classic_wacko: 

Keep your breadcakes inside it maybe ? :classic_tongue::classic_biggrin:     865730878_imagesweekend.png.a834a85f9a2b0b8e97a977dee8ee534d.png

Used to be called a fruit cake. Insult basically saying your being an idiot. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, kalos said:

Keep your breadcakes inside it maybe ? :classic_tongue::classic_biggrin:

Teacakes were plain bread ones in my part of West Yorkshire as I was growing up, which was why you signified the sweeter fruity one with the epithet of  "currant" teacake. 

Unfortunately even here this has been adulterated by influences from South, East and even West over the border in the county we don't talk about, so that Bap, Barm and other inappropriate names for the West Yorkshire teacake have infiltrated their way in and taken over, a bit like Kirklees itself.😕 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

All this bread talk is making me hungry 😋 with Vampiress88 eggy bread which is normally our Sunday supper and Terrierjohns mums onion fritters which sound very yummy that I might actually try , thank you Terrierjohn 

3 hours ago, Vampiress88 said:

Asda delivery coming on Tuesday so will hope that eggs will be in there. 

They should be. I've not had a problem getting free range eggs from them. Well not yet anyway😆.

Avril 

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

Fat Rascals

Sounds like some 80's retro Ska Band :classic_unsure:

I've had Yorkshire rock cakes which I think are the same  and I do remember years ago being called a " little rascal "

many years ago:classic_wink:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kalos said:

Keep your breadcakes inside it maybe ?

It could mean a pancheon kalos. It's an old fashioned wide topped narrow bottomed pot for making and proving bread dough. I still use one that used to belong to my grandma. It's terracotta on the outside and cream glazed inside. It's donkey's years old and I treat it like gold. I'm the only one that touches it. If anything happened to it I'd be devastated.

Avril 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kalos said:

Yes, years ago a colleague of a similar age to me was checking some work supposedly finished and said straight away "What's this? Half a teacake that!" The young employee who thought they'd finished the task had no clue what she was saying but I fell about laughing. We then always used that phrase for any job half-done.

Edited by DamianG
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Harry Peterson said:

These:

yorkshire-fat-rascal-box-of-4-2000703.jpg

They look good Harry. On closer inspection they have big red eyes and 3 wonky brown teeth. Are they supposed to have? It's a genuine question.

I'm going to see if I can find a recipe. I'd like to give them a try.

Avril 

15 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

They look good Harry. On closer inspection they have big red eyes and 3 wonky brown teeth. Are they supposed to have? It's a genuine question.

I'm going to see if I can find a recipe. I'd like to give them a try.

Avril 

I doubt it, Avril - though I do see what you mean!  Very much a Bettys thing, but there are some recipes easily available with a quick Google.  No idea how good they  recipes are but there's one here:  https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/fatrascals_93997

Harry

Edited by Harry Peterson

Never seen owt like that before. 

went on a lovely walk by a canal today that’s about 10mins drive from me. We looked at all the canal boats. Wish someone would invite me in to have a nosy. And we saw all the locks too. Baby ducklings everywhere some very little must not have been old but it was very windy. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

No idea how good they  recipes are but there's one

I found that one,  It's a James Martin recipe. I don't have half the ingredients I'll need. Better amend my Asda order 😉

Avril 

1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

I found that one,  It's a James Martin recipe. I don't have half the ingredients I'll need. Better amend my Asda order 😉

Avril 

If it's a James Martin recipe you'd better double up on the butter order.😉

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

If it's a James Martin recipe you'd better double up on the butter order.😉

I never saw anyone use as much butter as James Martin. I have one of his books that was bought for me and the amounts of eggs, butter and cream have put me off trying any of the recipes.  I made a Mary Berry lemon sponge this morning. 🍰🍰

15 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

I never saw anyone use as much butter as James Martin. I have one of his books that was bought for me and the amounts of eggs, butter and cream have put me off trying any of the recipes.  I made a Mary Berry lemon sponge this morning. 🍰🍰

If you ever watch the pioneer woman on the food network, you will find another butter freak.

I think James Martin trained in France which explains a lot!

Much cooler today after a very warm couple of days. Even had a short very heavy shower early afternoon.

Yesterday had a very frustrating work morning as my PC crashed three times 🙄

Followed by some calming down time in the garden!

8 hours ago, Vampiress88 said:

Never seen owt like that before. 

went on a lovely walk by a canal today that’s about 10mins drive from me. We looked at all the canal boats. Wish someone would invite me in to have a nosy. And we saw all the locks too. Baby ducklings everywhere some very little must not have been old but it was very windy. 

Vamps - go on YouTube and search for "Silver Fox". Couple of guys have posted loads of videos of their boat being built. The final result is lush. 

We had one built for us, and had some great times on her. Called her "Little Nell"  - as with all boats, lost money when we sold her, but the memories are priceless.

18 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

Because you have😆.

Did you have a good evening out?

Avril  

Hi "sis",took a while to sort out photos.First,the restrictions,hand gel on entry,all tables 2 top and 1 metre apart which is more practical than UK 2 metre and disposable masks which must be used if you leave table for toilet or any reason.All in all not too bad.We were the only ones in there although the pizza guy was busy with takeouts.Very large voddies,I normally have a carafe of draft prosecco at 8euro a litre but the pump was broke so settled for a Calabrian plonk.Tomato bruschetta and veggie fritter each as part of the cover charge.The rest you can see.There was loads of sea bream fillets under all those toms and olives.Excellant,4 voddy and cokes,1 bottle of wine,1 litre of water and all that food for 64 euro.Cheers,Brian.

20200522_183710.thumb.jpg.ebd44a0adf11e25aee91da0a98aed035.jpg20200522_180643.thumb.jpg.992199f21def76c72ac79c0368c229d6.jpg20200522_185553.thumb.jpg.9752878b4dc5697103a5ff774f378486.jpg20200522_192755.thumb.jpg.15af94e98dafa8026fc2b9b440027de1.jpg20200522_195338.thumb.jpg.53fff3b93f3e65e457a6c505ee3b5428.jpg20200522_195346.thumb.jpg.fba940b781d8cae739e46cf16a223acd.jpg20200522_195401.thumb.jpg.fd3ab2e5e7af01cd553f1a3a59cca54d.jpg

• Like 4