P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

3 hours ago, kruzseeka said:

I'd swap the 'amazed' for 'appalled' happy v.  We've kept well clear but apparently the situation yesterday at the beach was horrendous.  Council employees being spat at, huge groups congregating, BBQs, parking everywhere and anywhere,  overnight camping on the beach/cliff top, the rubbish left behind (and what else?) has to be seen to be believed according to the Council Leader who went down on the beach yesterday and painted a grim picture on TV last night.  She has now written to MPs and the Police to ask for travel restrictions to be imposed.  It feels like we are under siege!  Just hope our hospitals don't see an upsurge in a week or two.  🙁

Oh for those lovely, empty Northumberland beaches.  We now walk in the opposite direction to the beach!!!

But we're being philosophical, sensible and hoping for the best!  

(Hope you and yours are well. 😊)

And some of these people could be your future cruise companions, under the possible new guidelines.

Happy Cruising!

This is the life!

Edited by mercury7289
addition

4 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

+1.

Why can't they put the rubbish in litter bins or take it home?.

I see litter left on beaches up here too.

Because they are feral ,we were brought up not dragged up but to some it's the norm Graham.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

Low Newton, The Ship Inn, local crab sandwiches, and this - heaven

9712166_orig.jpg

We've both had the same reaction to this - happy memories of walking there ............and would love to be there now! 

Edited by kruzseeka
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

On the local news tonight, the aftermath of the  visitors to our beaches here in Devon and Cornwall, and on the moors was absolutely disgusting.  Rubbish everywhere, including human waste (yuk), barbecues, never seen anything like it.  So now the locals are having to clear up the mess.  Why are people so disgusting.

Sounds much the same as here Jean.   So many with absolutely no respect. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jeanlyon said:

On the local news tonight, the aftermath of the  visitors to our beaches here in Devon and Cornwall, and on the moors was absolutely disgusting.  Rubbish everywhere, including human waste (yuk), barbecues, never seen anything like it.  So now the locals are having to clear up the mess.  Why are people so disgusting.

Their own homes will probably be pristine.

Avril 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

We always taught our boys to pick up our rubbish and bag it up to take with us if there were no litter bins. But I do notice that the grandchildren are not being taught the same.

9 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

Afternoon all. I’ve done my 5 hr stint on my phone and now having my lunch in the garden, making the most of the sun before it supposedly stops on Wednesday. 

Good news, no Covid deaths in my local hospitals all weekend (Kent)

Sue, how do you get the local Covid information? The data  for Kent and Medway would interest me.

3 hours ago, kruzseeka said:

According to what we've heard and from local tv news, locals say they've never seen the beaches so busy and i assume that would include during the Air Show!  Over the summer holidays and weekends when the weather is good, it does tend to get busy, especially near the pier but is nothing like the reports over the last two days.  Our nearest stretch has room for children to play games even at busy times and the ability for very significantly more than 2m distancing.  Even the Council Leader was shocked - I don't think the likes of this has been seen before.  It is usually really quiet outside of school holidays.

I think so many felt they had been let off the leash and made a bee-line for the beach and came from far and wide and having got here, didn't want to ditch their plans.  No one we have spoken to, went anywhere near the beach!   

I suppose we have never been in a situation like this before.

Seahouses is an hour-ish away from us and after the drive I think my daughter would have had to take granddaughter in the sea even if there were more people there. In all honesty though we do have more beach than people.

So while I can understand the crowds I can't understand why so many think it's OK to leave their rubbish. Absolutely disgusting. I don't know why so many leave litter these days. Who brought them up?

7 hours ago, happy v said:

Are you out now harry?😀

If only!  Just a past memory, I’m afraid.  Theoretically we can go out, but then we always could because it was only ever advisory, but I’ll only be doing that if I can guarantee not meeting anyone.

The risks haven’t changed at all.  Just government policy, and they have no evidence. Just a desire to detract attention from the Cummings affair.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, happy v said:

I suppose we have never been in a situation like this before.

Seahouses is an hour-ish away from us and after the drive I think my daughter would have had to take granddaughter in the sea even if there were more people there. In all honesty though we do have more beach than people.

So while I can understand the crowds I can't understand why so many think it's OK to leave their rubbish. Absolutely disgusting. I don't know why so many leave litter these days. Who brought them up?

Sadly, we’re a filthy nation. Rarely, if ever, do you see abroad anything like the rubbish you see here. They take a pride in their countries that’s real, and doesn’t just involve waving a flag with a pint in your hand.

The schools teach the children properly, and you see that in the keenness of the children to take it seriously and keep places clean.  It goes wrong at home, with slovenly, lazy parents who undo all the good done at school.  Even here in a small pleasant village we see parents from away parking outside the school and tipping all their rubbish into the road. Incredible.

• Like 3

Sue, how do you get the local Covid information? The data  for Kent and Medway would interest me.

Various news websites have a ‘how many cases in your area’ link. I’ve been keeping an eye on Medway & Kent data on the BBC site.
I’ll try to attached the link below but don’t know if it will work. You just type in your postcode

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51768274

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

Sadly, we’re a filthy nation. Rarely, if ever, do you see abroad anything like the rubbish you see here. They take a pride in their countries that’s real, and doesn’t just involve waving a flag with a pint in your hand.

The schools teach the children properly, and you see that in the keenness of the children to take it seriously and keep places clean.  It goes wrong at home, with slovenly, lazy parents who undo all the good done at school.  Even here in a small pleasant village we see parents from away parking outside the school and tipping all their rubbish into the road. Incredible.

Harry I agree with you 100%. We have visited many countries that are often referred to as 'third world', and I can honestly they are cleaner than our own.

Even the small villages are spotless, no rubbish to be seen anywhere. Pride in their country is what they have Harry, and many here unfortunately do not. 

Avril 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

We always taught our boys to pick up our rubbish and bag it up to take with us if there were no litter bins. But I do notice that the grandchildren are not being taught the same.

I’m surprised they aren’t taught that. Thought that was just like parenting 101

then again I’ve been told that I am strict with mine. This is from co workers not the kids. Then again we are different from most other millennials it seems. Mine have always had to do things for themselves and they are completely different to their cousin. 

We had apples the other day and still look a bag for the cores to take home. Plus wet wipes and hand gel for sticky hands

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

I’m surprised they aren’t taught that. Thought that was just like parenting 101

then again I’ve been told that I am strict with mine. This is from co workers not the kids. Then again we are different from most other millennials it seems. Mine have always had to do things for themselves and they are completely different to their cousin. 

We had apples the other day and still look a bag for the cores to take home. Plus wet wipes and hand gel for sticky hands

That's correct parenting vamp, not strict. Good for you.😊

Avril 

Edited by Adawn47
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, ohnonotmeagain said:

I am an ex MUDWAY resident!!😉

GILLINGHAM, then the posh bit at Hempstead 😀😁

I started off in that posh bit, born in Hempstead, parents still there. Then I spent a few dark years near the old Chatham cinema, but then happily moved to the edge of the Parkwood estate, a few roads away from another posh bit, Wigmore. 🙂

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, indiana123 said:

Seems like quite a few of us on here from Kent (Swale/Medway)

We have the problem here that the locals are staying in but the weekenders are still arriving for their jollies... same as other places.grrrrr

Isn't it a bit early for all the townies to come down hop picking?😂

Edited by zap99
Added