PRINCESS CRUISERS: HOW ARE THINGS WHERE YOU ARE?!

Host CJSKIDS

36 minutes ago, Keksie said:

How do businesses survive with all the lockdowns?  Does your government pay them to stay closed?  Here we only had a lockdown for part of March and April 2020.  We are pretty much back to normal now with only one business I frequent requiring masks.  If it weren't for my volunteer job I would lose track of the days too.  Retirement will do that to a person.

Florida has very high Covid case numbers because they are "pretty much back to normal".   In many parts of the USA, where the governors believe in the science and don't try to stop people (schools, etc) from protecting themselves, it is different.  Where I live All school children must wear a mask in school and on the bus.  We walk every day at the local mall (usually before it opens so less people) and I would say that about 60%-70% of the people wear masks even though it is not mandated to do so.  Same for at the grocery store.  I'm in a state with a very high number of people vaccinated.   We just got our Pfizer booster on Sunday.

@getting older slowlyI feel for you in Australia having a long lockdown.  I am sure it is tough for everyone. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Lucky TGO said:

Things are not good at all in Boston right now. My both sports teams just took a beaten ☹️

Patriots and Red Sox 😩
The Captain of The Rowboat,

Tony

What kind of reception is Tom Brady going to get Sunday? In Philly when a former hero returns they get a rousing standing ovation and thereafter the object of merciless booing.

4 hours ago, Keksie said:

How do businesses survive with all the lockdowns?  Does your government pay them to stay closed?  Here we only had a lockdown for part of March and April 2020.  We are pretty much back to normal now with only one business I frequent requiring masks.  If it weren't for my volunteer job I would lose track of the days too.  Retirement will do that to a person.

They do not make it! We have "lost" several of our restaurants in town which have been very established businesses for 20 years or more. These are typically family owned and operated. Our town has only recently grown from 3500 to 7,000 but many of these are not full time residents; we are a small tourist/retirement type community on the coast. Our only national type business in town is a McDonalds.

6 hours ago, Keksie said:

Normal does not include tons of covid cases - we have an indoor mask mandate and all businesses are open here in Oregon.  Our cases are now in decline except for the rural areas.  Glad I don't have any cruises out of Florida for another 15 months, feel much safer here on the "left" coast

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, nini said:

P.S. I personally would love to have a Starbucks, Dairy Queen and Papa Murphys... shhhh... don't tell. The closest ones are a 30 minute drive. We used to have a Dairy Queen but they left about 10 years ago.

Our Papa Murphy's closed early in 2020.  I am not sure if it was covid or just poor management.  I wish one would open back up.  I am really curious how a country like Australia can keep having lockdowns and their citizens can keep their businesses going.  Most of our businesses have made it but that is because we were not locked down for long.  Now it is a matter of finding enough employees.  A few places have had to cut hours because of lack of help.  A local food festival had to cancel not because of covid but because the restaurants needed all the employees at the restaurants and didn't have enough to work the festival.  

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, memoak said:

Normal does not include tons of covid cases - we have an indoor mask mandate and all businesses are open here in Oregon.  Our cases are now in decline except for the rural areas.  Glad I don't have any cruises out of Florida for another 15 months, feel much safer here on the "left" coast

Our cases on the decline too.  I have felt safe since I was vaccinated because even if I contracted a breakthrough case my chances of hospitalization or death is low.

21 hours ago, Keksie said:

In Australia, Melbourne has been hardest hit but Sydney is now getting long lockdowns. The Govt provided some support last year for businesses and individuals who couldn't find work. But like any Govt support it often fell short or was misdirected. 

There have been businesses that have shut for good. We have been pretty lucky with low covid numbers but the state premiers lockdown if there are a couple of cases. 

They are saying once we get to 80% of adults vaccinated we will open.  Time will tell. They can't even get internal borders open so can't see overseas travel happening for a while. 

2 hours ago, sayaguru said:

In Australia, Melbourne has been hardest hit but Sydney is now getting long lockdowns. The Govt provided some support last year for businesses and individuals who couldn't find work. But like any Govt support it often fell short or was misdirected. 

There have been businesses that have shut for good. We have been pretty lucky with low covid numbers but the state premiers lockdown if there are a couple of cases. 

They are saying once we get to 80% of adults vaccinated we will open.  Time will tell. They can't even get internal borders open so can't see overseas travel happening for a while. 

Thank you for answering.  I was curious how your country was handling lockdowns since I kept hearing that they were still going on.  I hope you can get out of them soon and things open up for you.  

Observations from onboard the Majestic Princess:

First, we were onboard the Celebrity Millennium last week. It was probably the finest onboard experience we have ever had. I am keeping in mind that I am comparing our current experiences to something phenomenal and clearly unusual (crew outnumbered passengers by about 4:3, with about 637 passengers onboard and over 800 crew). Service was out of this world, and we met a higher percentage of awesome cruisers we’d love to cruise with again than we usually do. 

We all jumped through all the hoops to ensure our safety, as well as that of the crew. Once onboard, passengers jettisoned masks, with very few exceptions. It honestly felt like we were in the safest place we could possibly be. 

Onboard the Majestic, masks are required in shops, the theater, Princess Live, walking to your table in restaurants, and more. Masks are encouraged elsewhere, but it seems as if they’re actually required. The clear psychological implication is that the protocols don’t work, and that we are unsafe. Even with my immune issues, I felt completely safe last week. We have been following the rules and not wearing our masks in areas where they are not required. We are also getting very dirty looks for doing so. I had a crew member tell me to put my mask on when I was in an area where it was definitely not required. 

Mind you, we must wear our masks while walking through the restaurant to our table, during which time we pass people for a fraction of a second each. Once at the table, even a “private” table, we are seated less than a foot from strangers for 90 minutes, unmasked. It makes no sense whatsoever. 

We absolutely would not be on a ship if we didn’t feel the protocols were adequate. I cannot fathom why Princess is doing it this way. 

Last week, with masked crew and mostly unmasked passengers, things felt very safe, and we wished crew could doff theirs. We were even told about the protocols for getting supplies onboard. They are extremely strict. Kudos to the delivery drivers, forklift operators, etc. They’re the real MVPs. 

This week, masks are everywhere, and it feels like “OMG, folks! Things are scary scary scary!!! Everything you’ve done and we’ve done to keep you safe is pointless!! If you’re not masked for passing people for half a second in the atrium you’re in danger!!!! But it’s totally cool to sit with them, unmasked, for long meals.” 🤔.

We have literally been following Princess’ rules to the letter, and being made to feel like pariahs for doing so. We are considering pretty much giving up and pointlessly wearing the masks everywhere. It’s just not worth dealing with the dirty looks and snide comments. We might cancel our next Princess cruise, a 3 day out of LA. If this were our first Princess cruise, it would also be our last. 

Seeing masks on the crew feels like, okay, it’s an abundance of caution thing. It’s a bummer, but I get it. Seeing the masks on everyone and getting glared at or admonished when we are absolutely following the rules makes it seem like we aren’t actually safe being here, as though we are doing something wrong by cruising. The psychological implication is clear, and the atmosphere reflects that. 

Last week, it was “Woo hoo! We all did the right things to keep others and ourselves safe! Let’s celebrate!” Tables were 2-4 feet apart. Seats were marked off for distancing in the theater. All else was better than normal. 

This week, it’s “Following the protocols and doing the right things makes us no safer than we would be anywhere else. Be afraid, be scared, be more careful than you would at home (unless it’s crowded meal time). It’s a very weird vibe. 

As many of you probably remember, I’ve made and donated hundreds of masks. I wish my son’s school required them. This isn’t an “anti-mask” thing in any way. It’s a “this makes no sense, and the mood reflects it” thing. 

One thing that’s MUCH better this week is that our shower drains efficiently. We love that! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, MamaFej said:

Observations from onboard the Majestic Princess:

First, we were onboard the Celebrity Millennium last week. It was probably the finest onboard experience we have ever had. I am keeping in mind that I am comparing our current experiences to something phenomenal and clearly unusual (crew outnumbered passengers by about 4:3, with about 637 passengers onboard and over 800 crew). Service was out of this world, and we met a higher percentage of awesome cruisers we’d love to cruise with again than we usually do. 

We all jumped through all the hoops to ensure our safety, as well as that of the crew. Once onboard, passengers jettisoned masks, with very few exceptions. It honestly felt like we were in the safest place we could possibly be. 

Onboard the Majestic, masks are required in shops, the theater, Princess Live, walking to your table in restaurants, and more. Masks are encouraged elsewhere, but it seems as if they’re actually required. The clear psychological implication is that the protocols don’t work, and that we are unsafe. Even with my immune issues, I felt completely safe last week. We have been following the rules and not wearing our masks in areas where they are not required. We are also getting very dirty looks for doing so. I had a crew member tell me to put my mask on when I was in an area where it was definitely not required. 

Mind you, we must wear our masks while walking through the restaurant to our table, during which time we pass people for a fraction of a second each. Once at the table, even a “private” table, we are seated less than a foot from strangers for 90 minutes, unmasked. It makes no sense whatsoever. 

We absolutely would not be on a ship if we didn’t feel the protocols were adequate. I cannot fathom why Princess is doing it this way. 

Last week, with masked crew and mostly unmasked passengers, things felt very safe, and we wished crew could doff theirs. We were even told about the protocols for getting supplies onboard. They are extremely strict. Kudos to the delivery drivers, forklift operators, etc. They’re the real MVPs. 

This week, masks are everywhere, and it feels like “OMG, folks! Things are scary scary scary!!! Everything you’ve done and we’ve done to keep you safe is pointless!! If you’re not masked for passing people for half a second in the atrium you’re in danger!!!! But it’s totally cool to sit with them, unmasked, for long meals.” 🤔.

We have literally been following Princess’ rules to the letter, and being made to feel like pariahs for doing so. We are considering pretty much giving up and pointlessly wearing the masks everywhere. It’s just not worth dealing with the dirty looks and snide comments. We might cancel our next Princess cruise, a 3 day out of LA. If this were our first Princess cruise, it would also be our last. 

Seeing masks on the crew feels like, okay, it’s an abundance of caution thing. It’s a bummer, but I get it. Seeing the masks on everyone and getting glared at or admonished when we are absolutely following the rules makes it seem like we aren’t actually safe being here, as though we are doing something wrong by cruising. The psychological implication is clear, and the atmosphere reflects that. 

Last week, it was “Woo hoo! We all did the right things to keep others and ourselves safe! Let’s celebrate!” Tables were 2-4 feet apart. Seats were marked off for distancing in the theater. All else was better than normal. 

This week, it’s “Following the protocols and doing the right things makes us no safer than we would be anywhere else. Be afraid, be scared, be more careful than you would at home (unless it’s crowded meal time). It’s a very weird vibe. 

As many of you probably remember, I’ve made and donated hundreds of masks. I wish my son’s school required them. This isn’t an “anti-mask” thing in any way. It’s a “this makes no sense, and the mood reflects it” thing. 

One thing that’s MUCH better this week is that our shower drains efficiently. We love that! 

Thanks for sharing. I happy you had a good time. 
The Captain of The Rowboat,

Tony

42 minutes ago, Lucky TGO said:

It never has.  Same BS on land as well - at least around here.  I even see people wear a mask into outdoor seating.  The other day, after someone sat down at the next table, they asked the waiter for permission to take off their mask when it is clearly allowed.  Some have been beaten into submission and IDK if some folks will ever return to normal around here.

• Like 2

On 9/28/2021 at 4:52 AM, Keksie said:

retired have to look up the days wish i could work!

Edited by Reader0108598

MamaFej - thanks for your thoughts on Celebrity.  Based on that info I checked availability for Alaska next August since we cancelled our Princess cruise when they switched the Sapphire cruisers to the Royal but as I'd feared - no cabins available for a B2B in the midship areas.  Drat!  We've only sailed with them once on the Eclipse - Southern Caribbean itinerary and did enjoy it greatly.  We treated ourselves to the absolutely best champagne tasting event we've ever attended where it was all top-flight vintages, nice hefty pours and we learned lots.  They even had a volunteer (yes, it was Phil) try sabering-off the cork, which he did successfully and without bloodshed.  Quite an achievement when you consider it was towards the end of the tasting after lots of champagne had been consumed. 

I'll probably continue to ghost the Celebrity site just in case something becomes available.  Would love a cruise in 2022!

On 9/29/2021 at 10:48 PM, Steelers36 said:

It never has.  Same BS on land as well - at least around here.  I even see people wear a mask into outdoor seating.  The other day, after someone sat down at the next table, they asked the waiter for permission to take off their mask when it is clearly allowed.  Some have been beaten into submission and IDK if some folks will ever return to normal around here.

I think I need a disagree button!

It definitely is not BS for people to be cautious and continue wearing masks on land as well as at sea!. Many areas in both Canada and the U.S. still have high case rates  of Covid.  And if people continue to wear masks they are NOT beaten into submission.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I am vaccinated and still wear a mask in public. I can't tell by looking who is or isn't also vaccinated. I have (stable) chronic lung disease. Plus, we're under a mask mandate in both the counties I spend most of my time and it appears most people have forgotten or never learned how to wear a mask.

I am not *afraid* to be in public, I just prefer not to risk my health for an issue that should have been a public health problem instead of one that was turned into a partisan/political issue.

• Like 8

15 hours ago, cnd crsr said:

It definitely is not BS for people to be cautious and continue wearing masks on land as well as at sea!. Many areas in both Canada and the U.S. still have high case rates  of Covid.  And if people continue to wear masks they are NOT beaten into submission.

Okay, disagree.  But I think you missed my point about situations where masks are doing nothing.  Thrak gives another example in the above post.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, PurpleHays said:

I am vaccinated and still wear a mask in public. I can't tell by looking who is or isn't also vaccinated. I have (stable) chronic lung disease. Plus, we're under a mask mandate in both the counties I spend most of my time and it appears most people have forgotten or never learned how to wear a mask.

I am not *afraid* to be in public, I just prefer not to risk my health for an issue that should have been a public health problem instead of one that was turned into a partisan/political issue.

I do the same lung issus! what I find funny is my new neighbor Who walks around her driveway wearing a mask . Her adult son lives with her wonder if she wears it in the house lol

• Like 1

Not my area but Australia is looking into reopening. My next visit downunder is slated for March 2023. I'm a little apprehensive to go to Florida in 2 months but I will cruise from there

Gov Newsom just added Covid-19 to the list of vaccinations kids must have for school (for those in EUA ages) so nothing new there. Except 5, 7, & 8 yr olds aren't under EUA yet

1st Friday returns to Oakland and Fleet Week starts in SF!! So add that to life returns on the Pacific Coast: Philharmonic (yep 1's in that), music in The Grove, plays,  professional sports, cruising!!  And 3 of 4 are gainfully employed again. Another never stopped but now he performs on stage instead of virtually 

Bank of Mom is officially CLOSED

• Like 1

On 9/28/2021 at 9:12 AM, nini said:

P.S. I personally would love to have a Starbucks, Dairy Queen and Papa Murphys... shhhh... don't tell. The closest ones are a 30 minute drive. We used to have a Dairy Queen but they left about 10 years ago.

Where in Washington are you? We are in Vancouver. Do you have a supermarket in your town?

On 10/1/2021 at 2:30 PM, cnd crsr said:
On 9/29/2021 at 7:48 PM, Steelers36 said:

Expand  

Recently I've taken to looking because so much of the perspective depends on where the person lives.

> USA can refare at will, UK cannot

> USA can buy unlimited gift cards, we might be alone in that

> SF just hit summer, not so in NY right now

> We have high vax, low covid rates, & empty ICUs, yeah won't mention a lot of the country

> Australia is planning to reopen, Canada has reopened, and USA is on highest alert according to the rest of the world (even though the counties where I spend my time has positivity rates of 1.7% & 2.5%)

And we still mask indoors

Edited by Ombud