Zaandam and Rotterdam Situation (merged topics starting March 22, 2020)

bouhunter

7 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

Actually, that sorta is the plan....except it will be the healthy passengers transferred over.

Healthy today does not mean healthy tomorrow. 

If it is COVID and if there are more than 80 cases, passengers and crew, onboard Zaandam, then a very large percentage of the remaining passengers and crew will have been exposed.

Remember, they think it only took one infected person onboard Diamond Princess to set off that whole chain of events....

• Like 3

Just now, cruisemom42 said:

If it is COVID and if there are more than 80 cases, passengers and crew, onboard Zaandam, then a very large percentage of the remaining passengers and crew will have been exposed.

Remember, they think it only took one infected person onboard Diamond Princess to set off that whole chain of events....

True!

1 hour ago, slidergirl said:

OK, so my idea doesn't sound good.  I wasn't trying to condemn to a "leper colony".  They are going to have to quarantined somewhere, anyway.  I don't think HMC or another Carnival island is a "barren" or "desert" island - haven't heard any passengers complain about their stops there.  

I've been watching daily photos of the Port Canaveral ships posted in the Cocoa Beach FB group to which belong.  There have been 3-4 ships hanging out offshore because there isn't enough docking space.  But, some seem to be staying out to avoid having to keep paying docking fees.   3 of the Disney ships have been hanging out there.  

It's not docking fees.  It's 100% dock space.

8 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I agree, but it doesn't change the fact it is the current plan.  

The latest numbers I heard were 100 passengers and 25 crew.  1 death.

35 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

Source, please?  TIA.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

If so it's gone from 40 to 80 to 125.  This does not sound good at all.

6 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Did you read that somewhere?

10 minutes ago, Av8rix said:

Source, please?  TIA.

I'm involved and I see the reports real-time.   I'm especially concerned about Zaandam because she's the worst of all the ships with reports due to still having passengers.  I'm afraid Panana Canal might also be an issue. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Aquahound said:

I'm involved and I see the reports real-time.   I'm especially concerned about Zaandam because she's the worst of all the ships with reports due to still having passengers.  I'm afraid Panana Canal might also be an issue. 

Do you have any explanation as to how Zaandam's crew went from 47 with "flu-like symptoms" two days ago down to now the number 25 while her pax went from 80 up to now the number 125, according to what you are reporting? In other words, one group went down while another skyrocketed up all on the same ship under similar conditions

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Do you have any explanation as to how Zaandam's crew went from 47 with "flu-like symptoms" two days ago down to now the number 25 while her pax went from 80 up to now the number 125, according to what you are reporting? In other words, one group went down while another skyrocketed up all on the same ship under similar conditions

The 47 number a couple days ago was both passengers and crew.  I'm not sure where the 80 number came from because I never saw that number anywhere (official means).  Today's passenger count is 100, not 125.  125 is combined passengers and crew.  There have been some mistakes in the media reporting (as usual), so I can understand the confusion. 

Edited by Aquahound
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

I haven't read all 10 pages of this thread...have the passengers been diagnosed with COVID or not?  Or does the ship even have testing capabilities?

3 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

I haven't read all 10 pages of this thread...have the passengers been diagnosed with COVID or not?  Or does the ship even have testing capabilities?

Ship does not have testing capabilities at this time.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

I don't think the Zaandam has that testing capability right now.  Reportedly, Rotterdam does have test supplies which can be utilized once the 2 ships rendezvous.

Roy

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

My understanding is that the Covid testing supplies are on the Rotterdam (transferred from the Eurodam) which is on it's way to rendezvous with the Zaandam. Source: Capt. Albert's blog.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, HAL4NOW said:

There were 29 crew members sick in the first report. If you really do know what you are talking about (which I doubt) this is great news. Some of the crew are no longer sick and it was just the 24 hour flu.

If there is anyone on this board that would have access to the official information it is Aquahound.  Since his position is related to the coastguard and incident investigations.  I would trust anything he posts.  Far more then anything that you would post.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, npcl said:

If there is anyone on this board that would have access to the official information it is Aquahound.  Since his position is related to the coastguard and incident investigations.  I would trust anything he posts.  Far more then anything that you would post.

I trust Copper 10-8 for the correct information.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

The (which I doubt) comment is a little uncalled for.  I'm just trying to pass some info that I saw in a report today. 

Thank you for the information you were attempting to provide.

As the saying goes no good deed goes unpunished.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, npcl said:

Sorry to offend. I do not know Aquahound or you and have no reason to question the integrity of CC posters. What I am wondering about (and doubting) is the veracity of the report that is being shared. How did the ship's crew numbers change in the way they are being reported to have changed?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, HAL4NOW said:

So where are these "real time" reports coming from and what is your involvement? I didn't mean to disparage you, but I do doubt the reporting that you are sharing.

7 minutes ago, dockman said:

Can u either share your source of one death or stop posting please?  What report?

I'm USCG and the source is the Zaandam herself. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

3 minutes ago, npcl said:

I also trust Copper 10-8, but even he does not have the access to CG info that Aquahound does.

Thank you.  For the record, I totally trust and respect him as well.  In no way shape or form am I trying to contradict him. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, dockman said:

So the death was crew or passenger?  Was it from natural causes or from the flu like symptons?

People die on ships all the time and in these times a bit more detail would be helpful to ascertain worry level re relatives and other passengers.

All I saw was UK citizen, so I'm assuming passenger, but don't know for sure.

17 minutes ago, HAL4NOW said:

Sorry to offend. I do not know Aquahound or you and have no reason to question the integrity of CC posters. What I am wondering about (and doubting) is the veracity of the report that is being shared. How did the ship's crew numbers change in the way they are being reported to have changed?

HAL4NOW, hopefully I can help clear things up a little.  I will be the first to admit that reports coming from individual cruise ships tend to be off.  I don't know what it is, but certain lines (and HAL is one of them) seem to have issues with simple math.  So are the numbers wrong?  It's very possible.  I can't verify the numbers because I'm not on board.  I'm just reporting what Zaandam passed today. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1