Zaandam and Rotterdam Situation (merged topics starting March 22, 2020)

bouhunter

1 hour ago, Cruzaholic41 said:

Exactly. When people die on cruise ships, it is not announced to the rest of the passengers, so reports from current passengers saying they heard nothing are totally irrelevant. In fact, the crew is probably under orders not to say anything.

Same goes for numbers of sick. Why would the ship create more panic by announcing a steady increase in the numbers?  

May be "irrelevant" to you but then you are not on the ship sitting in your room 24/7 watching horrible reports from around the world and  wondering what may be happening to the Zaandam passengers and crew.

• Like 3

35 mmi - thanks Wewalt!  The two ships should be able to see each other now, if it is still a clear day.  I am stressing and underlining the word "day".

Did we ever determine how the test results can be determined?  Even in emergencies, results seem to take overnight at only a few select places here in Florida.

I do hope the Panama Canal transit is possible.  If not, it seems destination will be San Diego, following the arrivals of Westerdam and Maasdam there.

Edited by sansterre

26 minutes ago, sansterre said:

35 mmi - thanks Wewalt!  The two ships should be able to see each other now, if it is still a clear day.  I am stressing and underlining the word "day".

I don't think so. The visibility from the Bridge should be about 20 miles, assuming clear air and daylight. Note: 35 NMi equals about 40 statute miles. See this explanation:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horizon 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ducklite said:

I could be wrong, but I believe that they are way outside the jurisdictional waters of the USCG.  

Yes and no.  While a foreign flagged ship on the high seas may be outside the law enforcement jurisdiction of the CG, it isn't outside the humanitarian jurisdiction.  In the manner the CG and other U.S. military branches aided the Carnival Triumph and the Carnival Splendor, they could very well aid the Zaandam.  The problem is logistics and location.  Equipping another HAL ship (Rotterdam) with relief supplies makes sense logistically until Zaandam is able to get to an area where U.S. assets might exist.  

Edited by Aquahound
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Yeah, lots of speculation on this thread. I am ON the Zaandam. There will be NO transfer of passengers to the Rotterdam. The Rotterdam is delivering medical supplies (masks, testing kits, etc) and much needed medical staff. 

That is all.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 4

1 minute ago, viajante74 said:

Yeah, lots of speculation on this thread. I am ON the Zaandam. There will be NO transfer of passengers to the Rotterdam. The Rotterdam is delivering medical supplies (masks, testing kits, etc) and much needed medical staff. 

That is all.

I am VERY glad to hear that.  I really sympathize with you and I am glad The Zandaam is getting medical supplies.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, viajante74 said:

That is all.

Thank you. Stay well, and speedy & safe trip home.

• Like 3

Given that passengers and likely crew onboard the Zaandam (and Rotterdam) are reading this thread, I think everyone should exercise some caution and calm. We don't need to jump to reckless conclusions. 

Take a deep breath and corroborate, corroborate, corroborate. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, DFD1 said:

Cruise Ship Tracker shows the two ships almost alongside. It will be interesting to see how long the transfer operation takes.

And which way they go after the transfer.  We will know if they got transit approval from the canal.

It looks like mission accomplished at any rate!

image.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, viajante74 said:

That is all.

Thank you  for being a voice of reason, the speculation on this thread is beyond reason and I would think it is embarassing to the vast majority of members here. I hope you stay well and have a safe journey home, via whatever transpires over the next few days. Stay safe. best wishes.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1