Zaandam and Rotterdam Situation (merged topics starting March 22, 2020)

bouhunter

We have friends in Panama.  They currently have an incredibly strict lock down and curfew.   Road blocks are in place to isolate certain cities such as Bouqette.  People are allowed out for a few hours a day.  The times are based on their natiional ID numbers.  Lots of support for this action by their leadership team.

Not certain if this will impact the Panama canal option or not.  

• Like 1

Per brother last night someone sent out the US embassy panama contact tel and email to his room.  He does not know if sent to all rooms or what or why.  The capt said this morning that he wishes whoever did that would not have done it.  No idea what that all means.

2 hours ago, ducklite said:

It's not docking fees.  It's 100% dock space.

I heard it's part of it.  It was also docking fees.  (from my Cocoa Beach group).  

The Disney boats are playing pickle ball again today and Carnival is just watching...

12 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

HAL4NOW, hopefully I can help clear things up a little.  I will be the first to admit that reports coming from individual cruise ships tend to be off.  I don't know what it is, but certain lines (and HAL is one of them) seem to have issues with simple math.  So are the numbers wrong?  It's very possible.  I can't verify the numbers because I'm not on board.  I'm just reporting what Zaandam passed today. 

Thank you for the explanation. You sound like a gentleman and I did not intend to question your character, if that was how my earlier comment was taken. If there are fewer sick crew members now than there were when the influenza-like symptoms were reported this is very good news. If it is just a clerical or math reporting error, we are just all still guessing. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Aquahound said:

The 47 number a couple days ago was both passengers and crew.  I'm not sure where the 80 number came from because I never saw that number anywhere (official means).  Today's passenger count is 100, not 125.  125 is combined passengers and crew.  There have been some mistakes in the media reporting (as usual), so I can understand the confusion. 

After being able to check the numbers I posted earlier, they were indeed off, so I offer you and evryone else my apologies for that error!

On 22 Mar it was 13 pax and 29 crew for a total of 42

On 24 Mar it was 40 pax and 47 crew for a total of 87

What you are reporting today is 100 pax and 25 crew for a total of 125

Even though, sad to say, that's an increase in the number of pax, the crew number went down from 47 to 25

And, yes, all we can say at this moment is that hose individuals are suffering from "flu-like" symptoms. since Zaandam does not have any COVID-19 testing ability onboard as we speak. That will change when Rotterdam will rendezvous with her, so hoping and praying for a positive outcome! Unfortunately also, death onboard a cruise ship, and especially on long voyages, is not an uncommon occurrence. My condolences to the family of the deceased

Lastly, having worked closely with them, I have the utmost respect for the members, including you, Sir, of the United States Coast Guard! Bravo Zulu to all of them!

Stay safe! 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Lastly, having worked closely with them, I have the utmost respect for the members, including you, Sir, of the United States Coast Guard! Bravo Zulu to all of them!

Stay safe! 

You're a gentleman and a scholar, sir.  Thank you.  I have to say that my history working with HAL's security folks has been excellent.  I've got 27 years between local and federal LE, so I totally respect the tough jobs performed by the cruise lines' protective forces.  Stay safe and healthy!

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

On 3/24/2020 at 4:17 PM, LMaxwell said:

Developments:  Increased number of cases; Broward County commissioner opposed to ship at Port Everglades 

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/broward/fl-ne-holland-america-port-everglades-20200324-si3fmyuzz5eq3nl77lx5qxb2mm-story.html

Good for Commissioner Furr:  “I think it’s important we maintain our humanity during this entire crisis, that we continue to look out for each other” said Commissioner Beam Furr. “If there’s a ship at sea or somebody struggling wherever they are, we should be looking out for them.”

So true!

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Shouldn’t the American citizens should be allowed to debarked regardless...my guess there’s a ton of Florida residents on board.  Praying for these folks.

Edited by Aj101

19 minutes ago, Aj101 said:

Shouldn’t the American citizens should be allowed to debarked regardless...my guess there’s a ton of Florida residents on board.  Praying for these folks.

Hawaii said no to that idea with the Maasdam, but then said yes to the Norwegian Jewel.   

6 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

So how will the tests be analyzed? The only ones we have here ( that are FDA cleared) require analysis at a specially equipped lab.

I'm wondering that as well.

Perhaps they will take the tests to a Panama City lab Friday night for analysis?

Someone on the roll call just replied to me when I asked about what was going on. They stated the captain told them this morning 58 guests and 86 crew have whatever is going around the ship. We have a friend on this cruise but he is a HAL employee so is not leaking any info.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Aquahound said:

I'm USCG and the source is the Zaandam herself. 

Aquahound has always been the best.

Rickydeemon is onboard and has just posted this on their roll call (yikes):

"We are rendezvousing with the Rotterdam tomorrow evening.  Captain updated the numbers to be 58 guests and 86 crew had reported influenza symptoms with 3 new guest cases and 8 new crew cases coming in the past 24 hours".

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Boatdrill said:

Hawaii said no to that idea with the Maasdam, but then said yes to the Norwegian Jewel.   

But said yes only because the Jewel needed repairs:

"Hawaiian officials then rolled back their initial offer of disembarkation and said that the cruise ship could only refuel and restock supplies, before changing course again and allowing the Jewel to dock in Honolulu because the vessel needed repairs.

The repairs to the Jewel must be made without passengers aboard, the state's Department of Transportation said".

https://www.foxnews.com/travel/cruise-shipnorwegian-jewel-docks-hawaii-port

38 minutes ago, BellKat said:

Someone on the roll call just replied to me when I asked about what was going on. They stated the captain told them this morning 58 guests and 86 crew have whatever is going around the ship. We have a friend on this cruise but he is a HAL employee so is not leaking any info.

Thank you. If those are today's numbers it does look like the passenger isolation is slowing spread. It would be much more difficult for the crew to practice physical (social) distancing. Having room to spread out is a true luxury.  

When cruise lines have crew quarantine...where? Especially on some of the older or smaller ships, private space sometimes simply does not exist until you are a manager; certainly not at dining room staff or kitchen staff level; I imagine most of those rooms either hold 2 or 4 sharing 1 bathroom.  How can a crew member be isolated on a ship?  Not even just Zaandam, but in general?  

6 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

Are we sure any of the cruise ships are disembarking crew for a beach day?  I thought ALL Bahamas ports were closed to cruise ships?  

Don't know about HAL ships but the Edge has been at Coco Cay several days for crew R&R. Capt Kate posts pretty often to her instagram. Well, to two instagram accounts, since her companion the lady BugNaked doesn't, you know, have thumbs.

• Like 1