Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

15 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Safe travels wished for you! I am looking forward to those pics of your feet knowing that you are enjoying yourself.

I’m curious how do find out if a plane will be arriving and staying overnight to be the first flight in the morning?

I like the FlightView app to track flights. It will show where the previous flight is coming from and its status as well. United also will show you your flights previous flights and their status (not sure if other airlines do this as well). 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Flight 6AM Sat. morning. Yes, I know all about flying the same day but I have to work today. 

OB, Safe flight. Enjoy your cruise. Looking forward to seeing some photos.

Deb enjoy your cruise. Post pictures for us. Be safe.
Graham and Pauline, Sorry, I totally missed posts on what was wrong with Sarah, but I know she got some treatment. So Sarah hopefully you are feeling better.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I've recently been getting this strong desire to go somewhere.  That would normally mean booking a cruise, but we decided to lay off cruising for a while since the "Wow" factor has been lacking for us lately.  The whole absence makes the heart grow fonder thing.  I had a bunch of Delta upgrade certificates that were expiring at the end of January, so I called Delta and we're booked in about 3 weeks to fly to San Francisco.  We'll spend 3 days in Napa, 3 days in San Francisco, and a couple of days in Monterey.  

Looking for advice from any Napa fans here.  What wineries should we visit?  What activities would you recommend?  What restaurants?  We're staying at the Hotel Yountville.  Unfortunately, The French Laundry is fully booked. 😁 

Any ideas for San Francisco would also be appreciated.  We'll probably visit Alacatraz and drive across the Golden Gate bridge to Sausalito and the viewpoints on the Marin Headlands.  Of course, we'll go to Pier 39/Fisherman's Wharf and drive down Lombard Street.  What other lesser-known things do you like about San Fran?

• Like 10

19 minutes ago, voyager70 said:

I like the FlightView app to track flights. It will show where the previous flight is coming from and its status as well. United also will show you your flights previous flights and their status (not sure if other airlines do this as well). 

Thank you. I will check Flightview.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, voyager70 said:

I use the Flightaware app which is also what United now has imbedded in their flight status screen.  It is very helpful in tracking my DH when he is travelling, like today.  I can see that his flight is on arrival to EWR right now. 🙂 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Well, I probably am a loser but, aside from making music, work is what I really like to do. I think it will be hard to walk away from it some day.... Or maybe not. 

I know you are very sad that your BFF was not nominated for an Oscar this year for the song she wrote for Where The Crawdads Sing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

When it's time, just make sure that you have something to walk away to.  You hear too many stories of people whose entire life was centered around their work and when they retired, didn't have anything to do. 

I loved my job.I was a workaholic and planned to work 38 years for the company where I was employed.The record for length of employment was 37 years .However,I was downsized after 25 years which is the second longest to date.I was not ready to retire .I worked 8 additional years for 4 different companies.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bobmacliberty said:

We'll spend 3 days in Napa, 3 days in San Francisco, and a couple of days in Monterey.  

Looking for advice from any Napa fans here.  What wineries should we visit?  What activities would you recommend?  What restaurants?  We're staying at the Hotel Yountville.  Unfortunately, The French Laundry is fully booked. 😁 

Any ideas for San Francisco would also be appreciated.  We'll probably visit Alacatraz and drive across the Golden Gate bridge to Sausalito and the viewpoints on the Marin Headlands.  Of course, we'll go to Pier 39/Fisherman's Wharf and drive down Lombard Street.  What other lesser-known things do you like about San Fran?

May be my friend Jim ( @Jim_Iain) can chime in ?? Thanks in advance 🌷

2 hours ago, h20skibum said:

I would want to shorten any flight, by as much as possible. Same here 👍

My daughter-in-law has to fly to Singapore on business next week.  From San Francisco, it is a 17 hour and 25 minute direct flight.  I can’t imagine being on a plane that long. 

Mark, I feel for your DIL...

The longest we've been in a plane was 15.5 direct flight from Tel Aviv to LAX. Our DS1 was FA, and we could afford BC. Even in BC, I can't sleep, it's not that you have complete silence and comfort. Luckily, it was mostly night time, since usually flights crossing the "pond" leave after 11PM.

When we flew BC to Sydney [no direct flights anyhow between Tel Aviv and Sydney], we could have had a lay over of just 2 hours in HK and then continue, with Qantas, to Sydney.

My DH, who has many BC hours under his belt and doesn't hate flying like me [he falls immediately asleep in ALL conditions 😉], insisted that he wants to spend at least one night in a real bed, and we broke the trip with a one night stay in HK...

• Like 5

When it's time, just make sure that you have something to walk away to.  You hear too many stories of people whose entire life was centered around their work and when they retired, didn't have anything to do. 

Glad I decided to read through the posts before posting, I was going to post this exact same thing

2 hours ago, voyager70 said:

Air Canada does on their app.  Not sure how many flights back you can go but I've gone back 3

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Arzeena said:

OB, Safe flight. Enjoy your cruise. Looking forward to seeing some photos.

Deb enjoy your cruise. Post pictures for us. Be safe.
Graham and Pauline, Sorry, I totally missed posts on what was wrong with Sarah, but I know she got some treatment. So Sarah hopefully you are feeling better.

She had herniated discs in her spine.

Doctor put her off operation as too dangerous so she had injections instead.

• Like 1

I've recently been getting this strong desire to go somewhere.  That would normally mean booking a cruise, but we decided to lay off cruising for a while since the "Wow" factor has been lacking for us lately.  The whole absence makes the heart grow fonder thing.  I had a bunch of Delta upgrade certificates that were expiring at the end of January, so I called Delta and we're booked in about 3 weeks to fly to San Francisco.  We'll spend 3 days in Napa, 3 days in San Francisco, and a couple of days in Monterey.  

Bob, I will throw in my 2 cents, because we have traveled much of this area with my son and his family.

As far as Napa goes, we have eaten at a couple places up there, but nothing memorable sticks with me.  When we drive there, we go past the Sonoma Speedway on the 121, and this route will pass many wineries on the loop.  One place on this route has something that looks very interesting to me, and I think I would like to try it one time.  Vintage Aircraft company has air tours in vintage aircraft.  We would see them flying over the wineries or restaurants when we were there.  This is their website. 

http://www.vintageaircraft.com/

For San Francisco, it looks like you are hitting the popular spots.  My son lives in Marin County, and they rarely go to the City because the homeless and drug problem is so bad now.  You will likely see many along the Embarcadero, including around Pier 39.  One seafood restaurant we enjoyed was the Waterbar.  It is along the waterfront, almost down to the Bay bridge.  They do have an extensive drink menu.

https://www.waterbarsf.com/

Not too far from Pier 39 is the market place at the ferry terminal.  It is unique to stroll through there, and it is south of the pier for the ferry to Alcatraz.  We definitely enjoyed our trip to Alcatraz.

If Muir Woods National monument interests you, it is a short drive beyond the Golden Gate Bridge.  I think that they have changed to a reservation system to go there now.

Lots of people walk across the Golden Gate Bridge, but it will be even colder and windier when you are there.

Chinatown in San Francisco is unique, but it has been years since we were there.

You probably have your plans already for Monterey, like making the 17 mile drive, visiting Carmel-by-the-Sea and maybe playing one of the golf courses.  If you do go to Carmel for the sunset gathering at the beach, if you walk to the right along the beach, you can climb up to one of the greens of Pebble Beach for an unauthorized photo op.  (I am not saying how I know this, but I just do. 😉)

Hopefully some others will chime in with some more info for you.  Enjoy, but be sure to take warm clothes.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, h20skibum said:

I would want to shorten any flight, by as much as possible.

My daughter-in-law has to fly to Singapore on business next week.  From San Francisco, it is a 17 hour and 25 minute direct flight.  I can’t imagine being on a plane that long. 

I remember 3 movie flights. And that was just to get to LA or San Francisco. Then came the flight home to Florida, which  meant an Atlanta layover. 
Worst was the  DC10s, with the lavatories across the tail. The line was in smoking and I expected to die standing there. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, voyager70 said:

JetBlue recently added this feature to their app as well.

• Thanks 1