Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

9 hours ago, island lady said:

Just got the Butterball turkey breast in the oven.  Apples, onions, butter, bacon, and lots of white wine generously poured on top...and of course much of that wine later on goes into the Chef.  😉 

20201126_090539.jpg

That looks delish.  My sister cooked one in a slow cooker and one in the oven today. I’ve only gone the slow cooker route. Can I ask what temp and how long you cooked it?  Also, butter, bacon and onion ok without the apples?Thanks so much!

Edited by maggieq

23 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

We go and check on our new property and see a bunch of Turkeys. We also have deer. Not sure they will stick around after the build starts. 

M8

They will come back.  Our critters get bummed out when we leave on trips, when we take the bird feeder down, and the hand outs of corn/seed go away.  Once we are back, which takes awhile for them sometimes, they will come back again.  

• Like 2

14 hours ago, maggieq said:

That looks delish.  My sister cooked one in a slow cooker and one in the oven today. I’ve only gone the slow cooker route. Can I ask what temp and how long you cooked it?  Also, butter, bacon and onion ok without the apples?Thanks so much!

I did 325 for four hours...but it could have taken less time.  Kept it warm for dinner.  

No real recipe here....can do what you want.  I am the type of cook that just tosses things in and tries to guess on temperature.  Never seem to make the same turkey twice for Thanksgiving.  

And yes, about once a week I am doing a Butterball boneless skinless turkey breast in my crockpot, slathered with mushroom or chicken soup to cook half the day.  It's one of our favorite meals, and also makes for great sandwiches/wraps with the leftovers.  🙂  I don't buy processed lunch meat, and have been unimpressed with the chicken I find lately.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Domino D said:

It's official.  Were watching the parade and know about 3% of the people singing.  Not saying they aren't talented, but we are not capable of singing along.  Then they are going to evidently leap frog us and go to Dolly Parton.  Did the musicians of our college years party to hard.  Were the Grateful Dead ever even in the parade?

Switch from the parade to YouTube.  I was wandering aimlessly through YouTube the other day and found a live performance of David Gilmore signing Comfortably Numb.  Still an amazing guitarist.  There's also great stuff, some of it fairly recent, from Rush, GnR, AC/DC, The Eagles, Prince, Van Halen, Queen.  The singers may not be able to hit the high notes anymore, but the guitarists can still jam.  I found a fantastic 2012 performance of Stairway to Heaven by Heart, with Jason Bonham (son of John Bonham) on drums and a full choir backup, at a Kennedy Center Honors for Led Zeppelin.  If it was ever recorded on video, it's probably on YouTube.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

@Milwaukee Eight - For reference, how big is that bird?  I think you upgraded to the XL size Egg...correct?  I'm still thinking about getting one and trying to decide on size.

The bird was 15lb. I have two BGE. This one was on the XL. Don’t think it would fit on the Large. 

Egg size depends on the cook and for how many people. Have had the Large  for 5 years now. For just us, it was plenty.   However, it was really too small when we had others over. The large is pretty efficient with the lump coal. The XL takes a bunch more lump. I do have a divider I haven’t used yet on XL that is supposed to save lump coal. 

The XL seems to be a bit easier to regulate the temperature. Not sure that doesn’t come from my experience on the Large. 

It takes some time to master the vent settings on BGE. Once you get the hang, you’ll love it. 

Here is the secret to maintaining proper temperature. The Smokeware Vent Cap. Available on Amazon or Ceramic Grill Store. 

4EE3D62B-85B7-4352-B762-1DC5568F585B.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

Switch from the parade to YouTube.  I was wandering aimlessly through YouTube the other day and found a live performance of David Gilmore signing Comfortably Numb.  Still an amazing guitarist.  There's also great stuff, some of it fairly recent, from Rush, GnR, AC/DC, The Eagles, Prince, Van Halen, Queen.  

Love love love Queen. My biggest regret was not seeing Freddie Mercury before he died. Saw Adam Lambert with  Queen at The O2 last year

• Like 1

I've got the covid blues. I need more people interaction, not just my parents and sister. The highlight of my staycation was installing a new 65 inch tv at my parents where their neighbors came to help, with masks on. But just the interaction and laughter helped.

I'm chomping at the bit to just go anywhere, but going alone doesnt hold much appeal.

We are doing Thanksgiving today, yesterday my sister and her hubby went to his daughters. I told mom no sense cooking as they wouldnt be hungry. So I was home alone for Thanksgiving but will go out today. 

Maybe I'm crazy, but I've had about enough alone time right now. I want my life back. I cant go visit friends or relatives as they are my age and not mixing with people.

I'm sick and tired of covid. Felt ready to scream last night. Even driving to the beach doesnt appeal, somewhat, I get take out and bring to my hotel room or risk mixing? 

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, DaniDanielle said:

Go see my brother, he lives in Pearland.  Works in a Harley store occasionally so you could hang with him if you are close enough🥴

Is perarland by houston. Well I'd love to hang with anyone about now, even 6 ft apart. I think hes a 5 hour drive lol, but right now I'm ready to get in my car and just go. 

My friends in san Antonio arent comfortable with company. Either are my duplicate bridge friends. They are mostly older than me. I can call them, but it's not the same.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I've got the covid blues. I need more people interaction, not just my parents and sister. The highlight of my staycation was installing a new 65 inch tv at my parents where their neighbors came to help, with masks on. But just the interaction and laughter helped.

I'm chomping at the bit to just go anywhere, but going alone doesnt hold much appeal.

We are doing Thanksgiving today, yesterday my sister and her hubby went to his daughters. I told mom no sense cooking as they wouldnt be hungry. So I was home alone for Thanksgiving but will go out today. 

Maybe I'm crazy, but I've had about enough alone time right now. I want my life back. I cant go visit friends or relatives as they are my age and not mixing with people.

I'm sick and tired of covid. Felt ready to scream last night. Even driving to the beach doesnt appeal, somewhat, I get take out and bring to my hotel room or risk mixing? 

Hopefully today will be better for you.  I think a lot of people at one time or another this year have felt blue.  Everyone's situation is so different depending on where you live and what you were doing before.  Here in Florida everything is open and we have been going out to eat since May because we live far enough out of town that take out is just not worth it being cold by the time you get home and reheating is well reheated.  What makes me blue is when I think about travel since it seems like it will be such a long time before I get to go anywhere again.  Sigh

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DaniDanielle said:

Would love to see Adam Lambert with Queen.  We Will Rock You really got us hooked on Queen.  Back in the 80’s my kids were fans but I really didn’t pay much attention then. Now my granddaughter and I rock out!

My 80+ year old Mom was on one of our Anthem sailings with us and went to WWRY with us.  She absolutely loved it!  I was surprised how many songs she knew the words to and was singing along.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Keksie said:

Hopefully today will be better for you.  I think a lot of people at one time or another this year have felt blue.  Everyone's situation is so different depending on where you live and what you were doing before.  Here in Florida everything is open and we have been going out to eat since May because we live far enough out of town that take out is just not worth it being cold by the time you get home and reheating is well reheated.  What makes me blue is when I think about travel since it seems like it will be such a long time before I get to go anywhere again.  Sigh

They are threatening to close the bars. The bars here arent open except for the ones pretending to be restaurants if the area is above 15% beds for covid 7 days in a row. Seems like too low of a threshold to me at 15%. 

Yea the travel uncertainty also is driving me crazy, I need a trip. I think holidays make it worse. A little smart alecky cousins kid posted anyone complaining about not seeing your family on Thanksgiving obviously has never worked on Thanksgiving.  I posted back, after your work shift you can still see your parents, at our age, this might very well be our last Thanksgiving together. 

My moms older sister went I to a senior home just before covid hit she loved, and then covid. The good cook quit, now she just got out of quarantine so she is allowed out of her room to eat with others, someone where she lives got it. 

Idk if there is such a thing as the covid blues, but I got it.

6 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

They are threatening to close the bars. The bars here arent open except for the ones pretending to be restaurants if the area is above 15% beds for covid 7 days in a row. Seems like too low of a threshold to me at 15%. 

Yea the travel uncertainty also is driving me crazy, I need a trip. I think holidays make it worse. A little smart alecky cousins kid posted anyone complaining about not seeing your family on Thanksgiving obviously has never worked on Thanksgiving.  I posted back, after your work shift you can still see your parents, at our age, this might very well be our last Thanksgiving together. 

My moms older sister went I to a senior home just before covid hit she loved, and then covid. The good cook quit, now she just got out of quarantine so she is allowed out of her room to eat with others, someone where she lives got it. 

Idk if there is such a thing as the covid blues, but I got it.

Three years ago my mother 94 came to Thanksgiving.  She had broken her leg a month before and it was difficult to bring to the house but once there she was alert (she had dementia), she ate and she laughed the first time in a long time.  Two weeks later she died in her sleep.  That is why this year we had Thanksgiving with my son and are trying to live as much a normal life as we can.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

My 80+ year old Mom was on one of our Anthem sailings with us and went to WWRY with us.  She absolutely loved it!  I was surprised how many songs she knew the words to and was singing along.

Don't be too surprised. When your dear old mum was in her 20's, the Bee Gees were singing about Massachusetts and Led Zeppelin were selling out MSG..🤣

Edited by zap99
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Keksie said:

Three years ago my mother 94 came to Thanksgiving.  She had broken her leg a month before and it was difficult to bring to the house but once there she was alert (she had dementia), she ate and she laughed the first time in a long time.  Two weeks later she died in her sleep.  That is why this year we had Thanksgiving with my son and are trying to live as much a normal life as we can.

My mom is now also 94, and my dad 102. Both pretty much ok, but could be better. That's why I said you dont know when is your last holiday meal to those saying what is the big deal, one Thanksgiving meal. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, firefly333 said:

You have your friends on here if you want to chat.

Covid19 is affecting all of us not being able to go out and mix but hopefully a vaccine is close and we can get some normality back.

I have had 21 days with Covid19 and hopefully okay now so please take care and be thankful that you are avoiding this terrible virus.

Graham x.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2