Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

14 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

That is sad to hear.   We were there in 2019 too.    I always make a trip to Marigot market on french side and buy something fun from the locals.   This area used to be thriving with a beautiful marina, hotel, upscale shops, etc.    There was cafe that had delicious chocolate croissants I used to stop in and take a couple back with us (snuck on them on the ship - ssshhh!).    last we were there in 2019 that whole area was in disrepair and almost everything was closed, just a few locals with tables at the market, but nothing like in the past.   Very sad to hear they are still in disrepair.     

Are you talking about Sarafina's?  I've read that they have reopened in a new location.

9 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

Just for kicks...

image.thumb.png.fe0af63ac5b207a2e4d1631196cd5b00.png

I'd still be missing New Mexico.  Either way, 52 hours in a car, ain't gonna happen.  Either my wife would kill me partway there, or my back would lock up so badly that I couldn't walk for days.

Very few north-south running highways through the middle of the US.

I don’t mind driving, as evidenced by my twice yearly trips to Florida and back from Toronto so I actually looked at driving to Seattle next year for our Alaska cruise.  38 hours instead of 22.  Nope, we are flying.  The one day straight through to Florida is fine but that’s the limit unless it was a road trip with days of driving mixed in with days of stops to see the sights. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

Same with cruises.  We went from two cabins with kids to one cabin without.  We could sail in a JS and still save money!

The kids were mad at Christmas when I told my wife we were doing a Baltic cruise in a GS (no kids).  Wait till next year when they find out that our first March break cruise without them is in an OS

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

41 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

Are you talking about Sarafina's?  I've read that they have reopened in a new location.

Yes, that's the place.  They have many delicious pastries, but my favorite is ther chocolate croissant.  Good coffee too!  That's make me happy to hear they opened a new location.  I will definitely find them next time I'm in st marten.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

The kids were mad at Christmas when I told my wife we were doing a Baltic cruise in a GS (no kids).  Wait till next year when they find out that our first March break cruise without them is in an OS

If your kids are like mine, the reply will be "no fair!".  Yup...life's not fair.

• Like 1

On 1/22/2021 at 6:49 PM, dani negreanu said:

The sun is back, and not a moment too soon 😁

On a clear day, we can say a sliver of sea from our balcony -- 

_DSC3053.JPG

On 1/22/2021 at 8:29 PM, grapau27 said:

Lovely view Dani.

My DH suggested that I have to show other "sides" of our balcony too:

_DSC3061.thumb.JPG.be90217734cf98fe39867ad6ad490156.JPG

(we used to have uninterrupted view until Tel-Aviv, but now -- huge building going on)

_DSC3065.thumb.JPG.3c52b97ba2b6afd7821f68077a6cde5f.JPG

Edited by dani negreanu
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, dani negreanu said:

My DH suggested that I have to show other "sides" of our balcony too:

_DSC3061.thumb.JPG.be90217734cf98fe39867ad6ad490156.JPG

(we used to have uninterrupted view until Tel-Aviv, but now -- huge building going on)

_DSC3065.thumb.JPG.3c52b97ba2b6afd7821f68077a6cde5f.JPG

Lovely to have an outside balcony Dani.

6.8 million vaccine jabs now been given to people in the UK.

Sadly 100,000 deaths have now been attributed to covid19 in the UK.

We are now in the middle of total gut out of the main bathroom...ugg...getting too old for this crap.  Luckily have the guest bathroom as replacement...but almost didn't. 

Couple weeks ago Bucky noticed the plastic drain pipe in the guest bathroom looked odd...was starting to break down and crumble.  Sure enough rotten, plus the little sink was not attached to the wall correctly.  Soooo while we were waiting for custom cabinets we ordered to come in (takes 12 weeks!!) for the main bathroom...we luckily just got the guest bathroom done (and looking good!!)  Total remodel in there that was unplanned!  Thank you Lowes and Amazon for getting us through that with in stock supplies!! 

The new cabinets for main bath coming in tomorrow.  Whew!!  

• Like 5

52 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Sadly 100,000 deaths have now been attributed to covid19 in the UK.

Very sad indeed, it was in our news too.

The medical teams are confused by this "British" variant -- with the successful roll out of the vaccines, the number of new cases and sick was supposed to drop day by day.... but it's not.

Many youngsters are now sick, very different from the other "waves".

Bad luck too that the factory in India, which manufactured millions of A-Z vaccines, burned down.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, island lady said:

We are now in the middle of total gut out of the main bathroom...ugg...getting too old for this crap.  Luckily have the guest bathroom as replacement...but almost didn't. 

Couple weeks ago Bucky noticed the plastic drain pipe in the guest bathroom looked odd...was starting to break down and crumble.  Sure enough rotten, plus the little sink was not attached to the wall correctly.  Soooo while we were waiting for custom cabinets we ordered to come in (takes 12 weeks!!) for the main bathroom...we luckily just got the guest bathroom done (and looking good!!)  Total remodel in there that was unplanned!  Thank you Lowes and Amazon for getting us through that with in stock supplies!! 

The new cabinets for main bath coming in tomorrow.  Whew!!  

Every DIY project we do now or hire out we say, at our age this is the last time for  this project as we hope to be dead before it needs to be redone. Hang in there. It could be worse. You could have a contractor doing the job for a lot more money, taking a lot longer, dealing with that headache and not looking any better than what you and Bucky are doing. At least it's almost HH. Cheers.🍷

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 4

49 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

Very sad indeed, it was in our news too.

The medical teams are confused by this "British" variant -- with the successful roll out of the vaccines, the number of new cases and sick was supposed to drop day by day.... but it's not.

Many youngsters are now sick, very different from the other "waves".

Bad luck too that the factory in India, which manufactured millions of A-Z vaccines, burned down.

The new cases have dropped from 50,000 to 20,000 this week.

35,000 people are in hospital with Covid19 in the UK compared to 18,000 on Christmas Eve.

Over 1600 deaths in the last 24 hours sadly.

39 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Every DIY project we do now or hire out we say, at our age this is the last time for  this project as we hope to be dead before it needs to be redone. Hang in there. It could be worse. You could have a contractor doing the job for a lot more money, taking a lot longer, dealing with that headache and not looking any better than what you and Bucky are doing. At least it's almost HH. Cheers.🍷

Yeah, I convinced Bucky to let us have a local contractor do our shower (just the shower)...knew it was going to be a total PIA.  He has never stopped bitching about their incompetent work.  But luckily I did insist someone else do it...since the twosome had to to pull the ugly plastic shower combo out, but found they also had to pull out the marble wall slabs that were hiding under it before they could do the full tile walk in we wanted.  OMG...glad we didn't try to tackle that...no way we could have muscled that out with our bad backs and shoulders.  😮  

Sooo back to DIY for all the rest (we also gutted and remodeled our kitchen a few years ago, totally on our own).    I designed it in my head during many nights of insomnia.  😉  I think that was kitchen remodel number 12 or 13 over the years for me....not including the new ones in the new houses.  

And yes....that wine is calling my name.  Best thing for an aching back...and pretty much everything else as well.  🍷 😄 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, grapau27 said:

The new cases have dropped from 50,000 to 20,000 this week.

35,000 people are in hospital with Covid19 in the UK compared to 18,000 on Christmas Eve.

Over 1600 deaths in the last 24 hours sadly.

That is what they are attributing our big spike to also.   CDC begged people here to not travel, instead to stay home over the holidays...but did they listen?  NO   Very sad.  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

I guess it was at a plant although that article does state they don’t think production will be effected.

The story I read started off by saying production wouldn’t be affected so I assumed that it wasn’t at a production  facility.

Still appears that despite the fire that there should be a minimal impact. 

3 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Still appears that despite the fire that there should be a minimal impact. 

Ken, you're right.

I went back to CNN, to read the article again. I think that the 1st news, saying that the production of millions and millions of A-Z vaccines was affected, was amended later.

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/01/22/asia/india-fire-vaccine-serum-institute-intl-hnk/index.html

I'm GLAD the production will proceed as usual.

• Like 2