Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

3 hours ago, Momof3gurlz said:

I feel significantly better today Greg, thanks for asking.  Just some minor congestion.  I haven’t had a fever at all and the only headache I had was the sinus pressure type.  I hope you continue to improve and hope Linda stays negative.  Andy’s still fine.  

Same here and so far Linda is fine. Seems like you may be 1 or two days ahead of me. I’ll be anxious to hear when you test negative.

• Like 6

55 minutes ago, DaniDanielle said:

@BonTexasNYI hope your eye stops hurting🤞🙏

My daughter spent her anniversary looking at wedding pictures, don’t know if that was a good idea or not.  Once we get through the holidays all the firsts will be over so maybe things will get a little better.

Dan passed 2 days after Thanksgiving last year. Can't believe it's been almost a year  I'm having a bit of a downturn as the first anniversary is coming soon 

• Like 28

On 11/7/2022 at 11:32 PM, aussielozzie18 said:

Re cake cutting.  When my parents renovated their house, a long steel ceremonial sword immaculate in  it’s sword case was discovered by the builders.  My dad displayed it in the house on the wall.  When we were planning our wedding, dad suggested we use the sword to cut the wedding cake.  Mum was very quick to nix that idea!

My son and DIL used her grandfather's sword. He was a Colonel in the The Royal Engineers 

20210807_201739.thumb.jpg.569dfc83e720cd3a980eabc9701d907a.jpg

• Like 20

1 hour ago, BonTexasNY said:

The saga of my eye continues.  My doctor visit on Wed., a day after cataract surgery determined that a scratch in my eye was causing me so much pain every time I blinked, which was rubbing against the scratch.  He explained how the scratch probably happened but not sure why he couldn't see it at the conclusion of the surgery.  He numbed my eye, put a contact lens in so that my lid would not rub against the scratch and I walked out pain free.  However, as the day progressed I experienced pain again but not as severe as before. 

This is not the positive experience everyone I spoke to had.  All said no pain after.  Surgery was Tues and I still have pain and can't see clearly out of that eye.  Yet, here I am typing.  AND I have to go through this again in 2 weeks to have the other eye done, hopefully with no scratch.

On a happy note, my foot (ankle surgery) is much better!  Yay!

I skimmed through over 10 pages on here and I know I missed a lot.  I did note that Greg and Deb have covid and hope both have very mild cases.

Marietta, your daughter's beautiful wedding picture saddened me.  Continued hugs to the whole family.

So sorry for your eye pain...  I hope you feel better soon.

Also sorry for bringing Covid discussion into this thread @dani negreanu and others.  It was my response to @Sea Dog that precipitated it. It was inadvertent and done without malice but inappropriate. I'd delete it if I could. Sorry.

Edited by Tree_skier
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Arzeena said:

Good Morning Debbie,

Some time back you had mentioned an excursion in Nassau Bahamas that you and Eric had done, that you highly recommended. Can you please post that again. We will be there in a few days and want to look into it. Thanks.

Yes, Clifton National Heritage Park.    

https://www.google.com/search?q=clifton+national+heritage+park&rlz=1C1GCEU_enUS1026US1026&oq=clifton+national+he&aqs=chrome.0.0i355i512j46i175i199i512j69i57j0i22i30l3j0i390l4.5364j0j9&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

appears their website is currently down.    We had made arrangements via email to have their shuttle pick us up outside of the British Colonial Hilton.    They gave us a guided tour of the plantation, snorkel tour - beautiful area and a nice grilled lunch with some private time on their beach and private time to snorkel.    We brought our own snorkel gear but they do provide, if you need.   They have facilities to change clothes, bathrooms, etc.    We really enjoyed our day and they take good care of you.    The package included free shuttle back to the cruise port too!     We were there end of March and I think we paid something like $79 or $89 pp.    It was a nice ride to the park as I hadn't seen that side of the island before then.    

If unable to arrange for their shuttle to pick you up I think the other option is a taxi as their bus service doesn't go to that end of the island.  

I hope are you able to enjoy.    

• Like 1

We've got a few areas in our house that are 95% complete, waiting on one or 2 final touches.  Sometimes that's because Micheline has not yet found the perfect thing for the space, sometimes it's because it will cost a good chunk of money and is not yet a financial priority, and sometimes it's due to supply chain issues that still exist.  In the latter category, we finally received the undercounter refrigerator that we ordered almost 11 months ago.  Our beverage area is complete for now.

APC_3644.thumb.JPG.de6dada548ed4dde7858f886b4349eea.JPG

I'm thinking of maybe replacing the cabinet under the coffee machine with an ice maker, but we don't go through a lot of ice unless we have people over or are making frozen drinks.  I'm afraid the ice might get "stale" for normal use. I'd at least get away from relying on my Samsung fridge for ice.  I need to do some research first.  Anyone have a separate ice maker and can comment?

• Like 11

56 minutes ago, molly361 said:

Dan passed 2 days after Thanksgiving last year. Can't believe it's been almost a year  I'm having a bit of a downturn as the first anniversary is coming soon 

Hugs, never easy but seems more difficult around the holidays.

My father in law passed on Thanksgiving day almost 20 years ago, the holiday has not been the same since.  On the up side my grandson was born on the 15th anniversary of his passing.  Grandson's middle name is my FILs.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, aussielozzie18 said:

5DEB4EE5-5F5F-41D7-8CB8-8B02D65750A6.thumb.jpeg.8bd5c842df481d43fd90bb46e0a5b6d8.jpeg

This the three blondes - me, DS & DD.  

We are currently road tripping together.  DS is the driver, DD is the navigator and I’m chilling in the back, occasionally passing over snacks.

Wonderful photo, how great is that to have a road trip with your grown up children 😀 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, aussielozzie18 said:

5DEB4EE5-5F5F-41D7-8CB8-8B02D65750A6.thumb.jpeg.8bd5c842df481d43fd90bb46e0a5b6d8.jpeg

This the three blondes - me, DS & DD.  

We are currently road tripping together.  DS is the driver, DD is the navigator and I’m chilling in the back, occasionally passing over snacks.

Wonderful photo, how great is that to have a road trip with your grown up children 😀 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So this lovely sight greeted me this morning.  

image.thumb.jpeg.323aefc247e45457a04aa753f201377d.jpeg

Beautiful snow on the mountains.  This is in Southern California. The local ski area, Big Bear Lake is not opening yet but they are surprisingly close considering the date.  However, back home in central California, my SIL let me know that the season is about to begin.  

image.thumb.png.87ff7dab76fc1c6e2c379de669950769.png

SIL is on his way up right now to scope out the conditions.  Sadly I won't be home until the week of Thanksgiving.  Hopefully I can slide on up the day before turkey day. The day after turkey day I fly to Hawaii.

As an ex-pat Canadian one of the things that I miss living in the USA around this time of year is the ubiquitous poppys you see almost everyone wearing in Canada.  When I moved to the US in 2016 I had a couple of the traditional poppys sold in every establishment and sponsored by the Royal Canadian Legion.  

I wore it proudly every year in the week leading up to Nov 11 and it would often spark interesting conversations with people curious about it when they saw it. Sadly, a couple of years ago the last one I had fell apart. Last year felt genuinely weird without wearing one. However, this year I made sure from now on I will have one I can to wear proudly for years to come.  This one is solid metal with gold etching.

I've had lots of conversations this week.  I know for most on this thread tomorrow is Veterans Day.  For me it will always be Remembrance Day.  I thankful for my heritage and proud of my former home and native land's history and contribution to freedom and liberty around the world.

image.thumb.jpeg.479e175fd1dd433401a08ff9852f6167.jpeg

• Like 21

9 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I think because there have been various strains in the last 3 years is why people have had covid more than once.  Not sure if they ever determined how long natural immunity lasts, same goes for boosters.

My Doc told me wait a min. Of 90 days from from my covid recovery before getting my 3rd booster.

My sister in law has had Omicron twice, once in Feb 22 and once last month. At least I think the second one is Omicron, they've stopped the NHS testing now but I don't know of any other variant doing the rounds, may be a sub variant

• Like 2

5 hours ago, helen haywood said:

Well, as I said, in our case there was no mortgage.  We did pay $22.75 in recording fees.  I realize different states do things differently…but this has been the case with all house purchases we’ve made in Georgia, and now Florida, when paying cash.

That is great you have never had to pay closing agent fees, title insurance, transfer taxes, etc.   That is rare for even cash buyers.   

5 hours ago, Momof3gurlz said:

I feel significantly better today Greg, thanks for asking.  Just some minor congestion.  I haven’t had a fever at all and the only headache I had was the sinus pressure type.  I hope you continue to improve and hope Linda stays negative.  Andy’s still fine.  

Glad your feeling better, hope you make a speedy recovery 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

How are you feeling today. I feel a tiny bit better but still feel tired and doing some coughing and blowing my nose. I do t think I’ve ever had a fever. Made a call to my Dr. to see if I can get a prescription for Paxlovid to speed up recovery process.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery Greg

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

As an ex-pat Canadian one of the things that I miss living in the USA around this time of year is the ubiquitous poppys you see almost everyone wearing in Canada.  When I moved to the US in 2016 I had a couple of the traditional poppys sold in every establishment and sponsored by the Royal Canadian Legion.  

I wore it proudly every year in the week leading up to Nov 11 and it would often spark interesting conversations with people curious about it when they saw it. Sadly, a couple of years ago the last one I had fell apart. Last year felt genuinely weird without wearing one. However, this year I made sure from now on I will have one I can to wear proudly for years to come.  This one is solid metal with gold etching.

I've had lots of conversations this week.  I know for most on this thread tomorrow is Veterans Day.  For me it will always be Remembrance Day.  I thankful for my heritage and proud of my former home and native land's history and contribution to freedom and liberty around the world.

image.thumb.jpeg.479e175fd1dd433401a08ff9852f6167.jpeg

Gary always sells poppies leading up to remembrance day, usually outside our local supermarket. He often takes Molly the Collie who patiently sits on a blanket next to him and he always has lots of interesting conversations with people.  This year people have been particularly generous and hopefully he has raised around £500 for The Royal British Legion. 

They brought out a special 40th Anniversary pin this year for the Falklands conflict 

His dad served as a flight engineer in WW2 and later in the 50s, 60s and 70s for the Canadian Forces, mainly in search and rescue whilst stationed in Canada

20221110_210758.thumb.jpg.ce88230f4b78e3d68157fe4f6ebd719b.jpg

Edited by sgmn
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Yes, Clifton National Heritage Park.    

https://www.google.com/search?q=clifton+national+heritage+park&rlz=1C1GCEU_enUS1026US1026&oq=clifton+national+he&aqs=chrome.0.0i355i512j46i175i199i512j69i57j0i22i30l3j0i390l4.5364j0j9&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

appears their website is currently down.    We had made arrangements via email to have their shuttle pick us up outside of the British Colonial Hilton.    They gave us a guided tour of the plantation, snorkel tour - beautiful area and a nice grilled lunch with some private time on their beach and private time to snorkel.    We brought our own snorkel gear but they do provide, if you need.   They have facilities to change clothes, bathrooms, etc.    We really enjoyed our day and they take good care of you.    The package included free shuttle back to the cruise port too!     We were there end of March and I think we paid something like $79 or $89 pp.    It was a nice ride to the park as I hadn't seen that side of the island before then.    

If unable to arrange for their shuttle to pick you up I think the other option is a taxi as their bus service doesn't go to that end of the island.  

I hope are you able to enjoy.    

Thank you!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bobmacliberty said:

We've got a few areas in our house that are 95% complete, waiting on one or 2 final touches.  Sometimes that's because Micheline has not yet found the perfect thing for the space, sometimes it's because it will cost a good chunk of money and is not yet a financial priority, and sometimes it's due to supply chain issues that still exist.  In the latter category, we finally received the undercounter refrigerator that we ordered almost 11 months ago.  Our beverage area is complete for now.

APC_3644.thumb.JPG.de6dada548ed4dde7858f886b4349eea.JPG

I'm thinking of maybe replacing the cabinet under the coffee machine with an ice maker, but we don't go through a lot of ice unless we have people over or are making frozen drinks.  I'm afraid the ice might get "stale" for normal use. I'd at least get away from relying on my Samsung fridge for ice.  I need to do some research first.  Anyone have a separate ice maker and can comment?

Very nice beverage area.  I know nothing about separate ice makers, but from experience I know that Samsung refrigerator ice can’t be counted on.  Would a countertop model work?