Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

1 minute ago, bobmacliberty said:

No.  We're in zone B.  The evacuation zones are A and D, which are right on the coasts and more susceptible to flooding.  Sounds like you might already know this, but here is the zone map for Nassau County if you want to check your new house location.  There's a more detailed map on the Property Appraisers web site.  Evacuation is for possible storm surge and flooding more so than wind.  Possible 3-5 feet of surge.  We're a half mile from the coast and are a few feet more elevated.  This is still fairly new for us, but I know many people who live at the southern end of the island in zone A and none have evacuated.  I don't think Floridians get nervous until at least category 2...maybe 3.  Nicole is still predicted to be a TS near us.

Those who live along the southeast coast of Florid (I think there are a few people here...maybe @molly361 Ellen?) where the storm is forecasted to make land probably have more to worry about.

Yes, I have the zone map.  On another thread someone posted that they were on the way to a conference at the Ritz on Amelia and it was closed and evacuated…so I wondered.

3 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

No.  We're in zone B.  The evacuation zones are A and D, which are right on the coasts and more susceptible to flooding.  Sounds like you might already know this, but here is the zone map for Nassau County if you want to check your new house location.  There's a more detailed map on the Property Appraisers web site.  Evacuation is for possible storm surge and flooding more so than wind.  Possible 3-5 feet of surge.  We're a half mile from the coast and are a few feet more elevated.  This is still fairly new for us, but I know many people who live at the southern end of the island in zone A and none have evacuated.  I don't think Floridians get nervous until at least category 2...maybe 3.  Nicole is still predicted to be a TS near us.

Those who live along the southeast coast of Florid (I think there are a few people here...maybe @molly361 Ellen?) where the storm is forecasted to make land probably have more to worry about.

I'm in New Smyrna Beach-  it's supposed to make landfall in Brevard County I believe.  I took in the patio chairs and that's about it.  Hoping for the best  I live out near I 95 not beachside

• Like 7

1 minute ago, helen haywood said:

Yes, I have the zone map.  On another thread someone posted that they were on the way to a conference at the Ritz on Amelia and it was closed and evacuated…so I wondered.

We live right across the street from the Ritz but on the other side of the magic line that separates Zone A from Zone B. 😁  We were planning on going to trivia night in one of their restaurants tonight with friends.  Nope.  Our club also closed until Friday.  I think both (and other businesses) are mandatory closings due to the county evacuation order.  If the evac order didn't exist, I don't think they would have closed.  I could be wrong as they may have closed just to be on the safe side anyway.  I wonder what they do with guests who are already there?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, bobmacliberty said:

We live right across the street from the Ritz but on the other side of the magic line that separates Zone A from Zone B. 😁  We were planning on going to trivia night in one of their restaurants tonight with friends.  Nope.  Our club also closed until Friday.  I think both (and other businesses) are mandatory closings due to the county evacuation order.  If the evac order didn't exist, I don't think they would have closed.  I could be wrong as they may have closed just to be on the safe side anyway.  I wonder what they do with guests who are already there?

We have a 7pm curfew here so I guess most restaurants aren't open or are only doing early bird dinners😇

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Thanks @Momof3gurlz to give me the idea to take a COVID test for my cold symptoms. Looks like the KC Whiskey Expo Saturday was a super spreader event. I just tested positive. First time in 3 years that I got COVID.

☹️ as others have said hoping you only have a mild case.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

Well at least now you have natural immunity which is the best.  I've had Covid 3 times.  Each iteration was less severe.  

I like the response from the Amish Elder when asked why covid didn't hurt the Amish community like other areas.  

"We don't have TV or computers" 🙂 

Wow aren't you the lucky one, 3 times !!   Any winners for you in yesterday's Powerball?

Guess your natural immunity didn't catch on yet.............Just how many times do you have to get it before you have the natural immunity?

Edited by Jimbo

16 minutes ago, helen haywood said:

Yes, I have the zone map.

"Helen", I'm curious about the process of selling a house in US, which is very different from the one here.

Definitely only what you'd like to share, if at all.

Like when Bob ( @bobmacliberty) shared that they had 54 views, and many offers above the asking price, without, of course, getting into numbers.

How it is going with "downsizing", packing, etc. 🌹

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, molly361 said:

I'm in New Smyrna Beach-  it's supposed to make landfall in Brevard County I believe.  I took in the patio chairs and that's about it.  Hoping for the best  I live out near I 95 not beachside

I am following posts on FB for the community my Mom's house in Florida is in.  There is already a sailboat into their pier.  She is up in NH but her Florida home is in Sebastian.

May be an image of ocean

May be an image of 1 person and body of water

• Like 6

33 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

Well at least now you have natural immunity which is the best.  I've had Covid 3 times.  Each iteration was less severe.  

I like the response from the Amish Elder when asked why covid didn't hurt the Amish community like other areas.  

"We don't have TV or computers" 🙂 

I’m bummed because I dodged it for so long. I figured if I got it I would get it on my last two cruises.

32 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

Shoot.  I was hoping that I could use whiskey as a Covid vaccine. 😁

Hope that you only have mild conditions.

So much for whiskey being a medicinal.

• Like 10

19 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

"Helen", I'm curious about the process of selling a house in US, which is very different from the one here.

Definitely only what you'd like to share, if at all.

Like when Bob ( @bobmacliberty) shared that they had 54 views, and many offers above the asking price, without, of course, getting into numbers.

How it is going with "downsizing", packing, etc. 🌹

When we listed our house  2 years ago we never had any open houses but we still had 2-3 showings a day for the 1st 10 days or so. That was when houses were selling like hot cakes and the interest for loans was low.

Interest rates are higher now , so sales have slowed down a lot.

Our offers were all at asking price or higher. Some were even  Cash offers, those offers were a little lower then asking price.

Some offers even came with no house inspections. People back then just couldn't buy a house fast enough..............Lots of Buyers and fewer house for sale.

It was one of the reason we thought the time was right for us to leave NJ and head south.

We actually sold our house for more money then we paid for it, we had that house in NJ about 13 years, we bought the house when prices were high and thought we would never get back for what we paid for it. But we did and then some 🙂

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, HBE4 said:

Wow, the turnout at my polling place was incredible. I've never seen a line so long, even in some of the more hotly contested Presidential elections. Granted, I went earlier today than usual - 5 pm rather than 7 pm (polls close at 9 pm) so maybe it's typical of that time frame.  Usually there is little to no line, today I waited 45 minutes. Same polling place, same amount of workers.

Everything was ground level so no access issues. But due to the long line, poll workers were encouraging the elderly, the handicapped and people with babies in tow to head right to the front of the line.  Nobody grumbled about it which amazed me, as there is always that one person!

Large turnouts are always good.When my wife voted there was only one person on line ahead of her.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Coralc said:

I thought vote by mail was kind of a cop-out when they first proposed it. We have always voted in person and chatted with neighbors. But it is awesome and so convenient. As I said previously, we don't mail them, but just drop them off in official ballot boxes. 

And you have a choice, vote in person, vote by mail (postage paid) or drop off at box. I didn't realize what we were missing. We have voted absentee before when we were away before. But this is so convenient. CA program, Ballot Trax, lets us know when our ballots have been received and recorded. 😃

That is what I will be doing from now on.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Momof3gurlz said:

Well this is a lousy cruise souvenir.

A7EF555E-2419-4E7A-9D91-5DE9DC4580CE.thumb.jpeg.cfef2b758b95d8a74a007c561515a625.jpeg

I just feel like I have a miserable head cold. Originally thought it was just allergy type symptoms from all the leaves & leaf blowing.  My Dr sent in a prescription for Paxlovid, since I’m “age eligible” LOL.  Andy feels fine and tested negative.  I guess it’s a good thing I still have lots of laundry to do, a book to finish and of course this thread to keep me entertained.  

Oh no Debbie.

I hope you only have mild symptoms.

Best wishes.

Graham.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, HBE4 said:

I'm pretty sure the only way to vote by mail in New York is to request an absentee ballot.  And you have to have a valid absentee excuse such as being away on vacation, home bound, in a hospital or jail (for a non-felony crime). However, I'm sure all that's a formality as every time I traveled over election day and requested an absentee ballot, I was never asked for proof that I was traveling. 🤷‍♂️

We also have 1 week of early voting. Between those 2 methods and the fact that polls are open from 6 am - 9 pm,  I still find it hard to believe that some people "can't find the time" to vote.

One day there will be a Tinder-like app for voting on your phone, just swipe right to vote. 😜

I was told today that I can request an absentee ballot in the future.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

Thanks @Momof3gurlz to give me the idea to take a COVID test for my cold symptoms. Looks like the KC Whiskey Expo Saturday was a super spreader event. I just tested positive. First time in 3 years that I got COVID.

Oh, no Greg.  Hope you have just the cold symptoms and nothing more.  You know, everyone keeps saying “stay hydrated” 😉😇!  
Unfortunately, I’m sticking to water since I’m taking Paxlovid.  

• Like 5