Are we the only one who hasn't received refund?

There was an interesting line item in RCCL's SEC filing today:

We also have agreements with two credit card processors that transact advance customer ticket deposits and onboard transactions related to our cruise voyages. These agreements allow the credit card processors to require under certain circumstances, including the existence of a material adverse change, excessive chargebacks and other triggering events, that we maintain a reserve which could be satisfied by posting collateral. The maximum reserve requirement under the agreements with the credit card processors is in aggregate $300 million. As of May 12, 2020, we were not required to post collateral under these agreements.

• Thanks 1

Received an email yesterday from my TA and then from my Allianz travel insurance company that they refunded the cost of my travel insurance , that was unexpected and a nice surprise .

If you purchased insurance and haven’t received a refund look into it

Edited by Midwestgal

As of this morning no refund for the cruise itself.  We were originally told 30 days (not business days), then received the e-mail apologizing for the delay and if we did not  receive the refund we would receive a follow up e-mail on May 6th, as others have reported we did not receive that e-mail.  We did however receive countless e-mails to book new cruises and other promotions.  Today is day 45 which is our new promised date to receive our refund, nothing as of this morning.  2 phone calls within this time period to Royal customer care have not been productive

What we have received:  All of our cruise planner purchases as we cancelled them about 3 weeks before Royal cancelled our Alaska cruise, those took 1-3 weeks to receive them all.  From other travel companies we have received refunds and credits either immediately or within a week including: All lodging, all airfare, airport parking, 3rd party travel insurance and all of our excursions.

I feel the disappointment and frustration that others have that have not received a refund yet from Royal.  As far as other cruise line refunds taking as long or longer I don't really care.  This is what was promised to many of us by RCI and not delivered again and again.  Some posters have said to just be patient as this has been a difficult time for Royal to process the amount of refunds.  I think most of us have been patient and understanding, this has been a difficult time for everyone, not just RCI. I think the way myself and many others have handled this situation so far is the very definition of patience especially when it deals with thousands of dollars that are owed.  The fact that our refunds are being delayed this long or the communication has been this poor to me in my opinion has become inexcusable.  

26 minutes ago, JeffT237 said:

As of this morning no refund for the cruise itself.  We were originally told 30 days (not business days), then received the e-mail apologizing for the delay and if we did not  receive the refund we would receive a follow up e-mail on May 6th, as others have reported we did not receive that e-mail.  We did however receive countless e-mails to book new cruises and other promotions.  Today is day 45 which is our new promised date to receive our refund, nothing as of this morning.  2 phone calls within this time period to Royal customer care have not been productive

What we have received:  All of our cruise planner purchases as we cancelled them about 3 weeks before Royal cancelled our Alaska cruise, those took 1-3 weeks to receive them all.  From other travel companies we have received refunds and credits either immediately or within a week including: All lodging, all airfare, airport parking, 3rd party travel insurance and all of our excursions.

I feel the disappointment and frustration that others have that have not received a refund yet from Royal.  As far as other cruise line refunds taking as long or longer I don't really care.  This is what was promised to many of us by RCI and not delivered again and again.  Some posters have said to just be patient as this has been a difficult time for Royal to process the amount of refunds.  I think most of us have been patient and understanding, this has been a difficult time for everyone, not just RCI. I think the way myself and many others have handled this situation so far is the very definition of patience especially when it deals with thousands of dollars that are owed.  The fact that our refunds are being delayed this long or the communication has been this poor to me in my opinion has become inexcusable.  

I recently contacted Royal and because I was through a TA, she told me that if my TA gives Royal permission to talk to me about our March 15th cancelled cruise then they can provide me with any updates. The main thing here as you mentioned they are dealing with unbelievable amounts of refunds yet all of us waiting, would like that money back on our CC's or use to pay toward another cruise. I can't add a payment to our April/May 2021 cruises because I am waiting on the credits. The 30 days extends to 45 then longer each time we talk to them. 

Had an April 18 and April 25 cruise booked that were paid in full at time of booking. I requested a refund the day after they were cancelled (March 25). I received the two most recently emails about your refund coming (April 29 and May 6). Finally this morning I have 6 pending refunds on my credit card that I can see online. They do total the total amount I paid on both cruises. 50 days for me.

Edited by skiierx131

My 16th March cruise was cancelled by Royal on 12th March, still no refund.  I've been told 14 days, 30 days, 30 business days, 45 days and now my T/A says up to 90 days!. Half expecting 120 days to be thrown in next. I wouldn't mind waiting if I was quoted a genuine rough date of payment - even if it was 6 months.  Want to book another cruise but not booking till I get this one back.

Good news today.  We can now see our refund as pending in our credit card.  Hopefully it will be posted tomorrow.  It took 33 business days for us to see this.  Called and asked for a refund on March 27th for our April 24 cruise.  

Now I have to decide if I want to pay final for a cruise in October ( due early July before cruising resumes) and possibly go thru this again or cancel ( refundable deposit) and book last minute in September after I see how things go.  Leaning toward last minute booking even if we pay more.  

Trust me, there are hundreds, maybe thousands of people waiting for a refund. The thing is that there is a certain sum of money the companies are feeling comfortable with. Some people got lucky and they got their money back quite fast. On the other hand other had or still have to wait till the end of the waiting period 90-120 days 

8 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

Trust me, there are hundreds, maybe thousands of people waiting for a refund

I agree with this completely

8 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

On the other hand other had or still have to wait till the end of the waiting period 90-120 days

My issue is what many of us were told by Royal: 30 days, 30 buisness days, apology e-mail with a promise of a follow up e-mail that never came, plenty of other e-mails to book a cruise,  then 45 days and all have passed without promised refund by Royal.  

6 minutes ago, JeffT237 said:

My issue is what many of us were told by Royal: 30 days, 30 buisness days, apology e-mail with a promise of a follow up e-mail that never came, plenty of other e-mails to book a cruise,  then 45 days and all have passed without promised refund by Royal.  

When I clicked on RCI's link on March 24th to request a refund for our cancelled May 2 cruise - the web site said 30 days. It has been 7 weeks, so I called my credit card company just now to ask about any pending credits from Royal Caribbean. They saw none.

By the way, other than the original cancellation email on March 24 - I haven't received any other communication from RCI.

Edited by NancyIL

33 minutes ago, JeffT237 said:

I agree with this completely

I emailed Aurora directly and then followed up with Carlos. I still don’t have my money but I have the specific list of the refunds and the cards they go to so I can share that with BoA. 

I got my $250 back today, now just need the other $4700

I also noticed that taxes and port charges are refunded as a standalone transaction, regardless of how you paid for them eg. I paid $264 one month but RC did the refund as $217.44 and $46.56-good thing I keep good records

1 hour ago, stompy said:

I emailed Aurora directly and then followed up with Carlos. I still don’t have my money but I have the specific list of the refunds and the cards they go to so I can share that with BoA. 

I got my $250 back today, now just need the other $4700

I also noticed that taxes and port charges are refunded as a standalone transaction, regardless of how you paid for them eg. I paid $264 one month but RC did the refund as $217.44 and $46.56-good thing I keep good records

I don't want to read every post, but who is Aurora and Carlos.  Am I able to contact them and possibly help in getting credited my taxes & fees and my cruise planner items to my CC.

30 minutes ago, nelblu said:

I don't want to read every post, but who is Aurora and Carlos.  Am I able to contact them and possibly help in getting credited my taxes & fees and my cruise planner items to my CC.

Aurora is the lady who sent out the May 6th apology email.  Carlos works for her

Carlos Jimenez | Sr. Manager, Guest Experience

tel: 954.628.9301 extn: 19301 | CarlosJimenez@rccl.com

Can someone post a copy of this mysterious email that some people have received regarding delayed refunds?

I booked through a TA and have not gotten any direct emails from Royal about delays in refunds. 

I got part of my refund on Monday in 4 chunks, but still waiting on the rest of it. 😞

57 minutes ago, stompy said:

Aurora is the lady who sent out the May 6th apology email.  Carlos works for her

Carlos Jimenez | Sr. Manager, Guest Experience

tel: 954.628.9301 extn: 19301 | CarlosJimenez@rccl.com

I also sent Aurora an e-mail requesting the status of our refund for our Serenade of the Seas cruise for April 3; that was cancelled by royal caribbean and refund requested by me on 3-14-2020. I received a very polite and courteous e-mail back that simply told me to contact our TA;    C---C--- as to the status of our refund. Of course, I have contacted my big box TA by e-mail on two different occasions with absolutely no feedback. We were booked within a group and I don't know if this is affecting our refund.

Another update- we received a partial refund this morning, so there’s hope 😀. The amount is for about 2/3 of the total. The total number of days for a partial refund to post from the request date is 50. 

They showed me the money!!!!!  I too received the 2 e:mails including the one from May 6.  The full refund was posted with a date of 5/6 but didn’t post to the credit until this morning.  Refunded full amount and it showed as 4 different credits. 

Received my refund today for my May 30th Cruise on the Adventure of the Seas from Bayonne

I think it was April 16th when Royal Cancelled this cruise

Edited by Greyfox50

We received our refund today in about 5 different credits.  Requested refund online March 24 for April 25 cruise.  All credits added up to correct total.  Now to work on Aer Lingus...

Got a refund this morning, am thinking it is for our 5/2/20 cruise, but none of the numbers make sense.  Two of them are the total amounts of our taxes and fees in total, three of them are for our total prepaid gratuities for both of us combined, and I have no idea where the other three numbers came from, but the total is not the total amount I paid.  Of course there is no indication for which of the 4 cruises I am being refunded, but 5/2/20 was cancelled by RCI first so it seems logical it would be the first refunded.  Will sleep on it and look at it again after breakfast, it is now 9 PM here, bed time.

On 5/12/2020 at 9:33 AM, SkierRobUMN said:

I got some refund amounts today on my credit card but not the full amount yet. I think I read they can come in chunks, but for those who have already gotten their refunds, how many days apart were the refund chunks spaced out when they appeared on your credit card?

I got the first partial refund (roughly 1/5) this morning for March 29 cruise. Not the full amount yet. Same question here - how many days apart were the refund chunks appear on the cc?