Would you cruise in August

jp2746

5 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

There's a paragraph in the link you provided entitled "Why these numbers are different" that explains at least some of the discrepancy.

Thanks time4u2go.

There’s a seven day lag between the reported actual data and the reporting of the actual data whereas the estimated # is current to within a day.  

I think we’re better off to use the lower actual number and see how the estimated # from yesterday compares to the actual number as of yesterday when that gets reported next week on Fri.  

Its funny to me how many people are afraid of getting Covid.  

They don’t want to be on a ventilator, But they are smokers.

They are diabetic they are at higher risk,  but they keep eating unhealthy.
They are afriad because they have heart disease,  But will eat that hamburger.

we are a bunch of hypocrites,  we are so afraid, but we do the harm to ourselves.   
last week I watched a woman in the COSTCO parking lot wearing a mask, but lifted it up to smoke a cigarette on the way back to her car.  

if they were to test every citizen of the USA. They estimated that there would be 70% antibody positive results. We have mostly all been exposed already.   

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Penguin11 said:

If they were to test every citizen of the USA. They estimated that there would be 70% antibody positive results. We have mostly all been exposed already.  

New York State has done 3 rounds of antibody testing with progressively larger, random samplings.

The results are 13.9 %  14 9% and 12.5% have tested postive to having the virus at one point. 

On 4/17/2020 at 3:02 PM, JT1962 said:

We will not cruise again until there have been 2-3 months of multiple cruise ships sailing with no quarantine incidents or reports of multiple illnesses of passengers after returning home. 

I would cruise sooner, but my DH thinks the same way as JT1962 above. DH is the voice of reason in this house, me not so much, so i guess I need to acquire some patience.

Edited by Etta1213
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Etta1213 said:

I would cruise sooner, but my DH thinks the same way as JT1962 above. DH is the voice of reason in this house, me not so much, so i guess I need to acquire some patience.

I agree with your DH.  We will not sail until a couple of successful cruises have past.  However, a second wave of Covid is expected.  So hopefully a treatment and maybe an immunization will come soon.!  

While we are anxious to cruise- not anxious to get terminally ill.

Edited by Cruise a holic

Based on Carnival’s announcement this morning, it looks like most people won’t be cruising in August even if they wanted to. There will be 8 ships potentially cruising from port Canaveral, Miami and Galveston starting on August 1. All other cruises are canceled until the end of August, with some ships been canceled even later.

“the COVID-19 situation continues to evolve, we regret to inform our guests that Carnival Cruise Line is having to cancel the following sailings:

All San Francisco sailings through 2020

All Carnival Sunrise sailings through and including October 19, 2020

All Carnival Legend sailings through and including October 30, 2020

All Carnival Radiance sailings through and including November 1, 2020

All Carnival Spirit Alaska, Hawaii, & Trans-Pacific sailings through and including October 6, 2020

Carnival Breeze, Carnival Dream, Carnival Elation, Carnival Freedom, Carnival Horizon, Carnival Magic, Carnival Sensation, & Carnival Vista sailings through and including July 31, 2020

All Other Ships sailings through and including August 31, 2020

We truly value our guests and appreciate your patience and understanding. To that end, we want to provide flexibility as you think about your future plans. Below are two options for guests whose cruise has been canceled to consider, including a bonus value offer. We look forward to welcoming you on board, when the time is right for you.

https://www.carnival.com/health-and-sailing-updates

I always thought that August is the best month both to travel and to cruise. For some reason I somehow feel the ending of summer and I find the Sun on the beach to be most charming during this part of the year. Also I hate coming back from vacation and then finding that I have another month or two before going back to work (I finish work in May and start in September). I prefer coming back from vacation and starting working 

I am hoping that RC makes the same announcement at Carnival.  We have FCC on RC and Princess, but of course none on Carnival.  Princess has nothing going out of those ports for August, so I guess they are out.  We were on the March 7 cruise out of San Pedro.  We were in the terminal for seven hours waiting before they canceled.  Carnival, that was in Long Beach and was our other option, decided to sail the next day instead of cancel.  I was so mad that I mad the wrong decision and booked Princess instead of Carnival. 

Once RC announces, I may have to just suck it up and book on Carnival so we can get out before school starts if RC cancels further out.  I just hate spending MORE money after having funds tied up with two other cruise lines.  I soooo wish Princess FCC could be used on Carnival.  

If RC cancels further out, I guess I could just ask for a refund and put my money on Carnival.

14 hours ago, Penguin11 said:

If they were to test every citizen of the USA. They estimated that there would be 70% antibody positive results. We have mostly all been exposed already.   

I’m not sure where you heard this but this is definitely wrong. NY has found that approximately 14% of people have antibodies to covid-19. Other states will be significantly less since it is less widespread in the community.  Once we get to 70% we will start to see herd immunity play a role in preventing the spread of the virus but most major infectious disease experts believe that is 18-24 months away. 

Edited by megs193

We have Mariner booked for 17 August, 4-nights to CoCo Cay (twice) and Nassau. If the ship sails, I'll sail, if it gets cancelled, we will move it to 2021. I'm not going to live in a bubble and ready to cruise again.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, CatDad2012 said:

We have Mariner booked for 17 August, 4-nights to CoCo Cay (twice) and Nassau. If the ship sails, I'll sail, if it gets cancelled, we will move it to 2021. I'm not going to live in a bubble and ready to cruise again.

Same here, we have Indy end of June (guessing it will get canceled), Navigator for Aug/Sept, Freedom B2B Oct, Oasis and Indy in Dec.  We will cruise the minute they let us

1 hour ago, karena1 said:

Same here, we have Indy end of June (guessing it will get canceled), Navigator for Aug/Sept, Freedom B2B Oct, Oasis and Indy in Dec.  We will cruise the minute they let us

You might have a chance in December, but even those cruises aren't looking good............Good Luck though, I wouldn't want to be the first ones to cruise again until about 8 or 10 sailings go off without a hitch.

One can dream I guess................

• Like 1

3 hours ago, karena1 said:

Keep up the positivity!  I for one will go positive vs negative.  If we have to cancel a cruise, we will cancel and move on.  

Dreaming is what keeps me going with future cruise plans.....😊😊

• Like 1

I have the Empress on August 10th going out of Newark for.a New England/Canada cruise.  Portland, Maine has announced that their port will be closed and Bar Harbor may do the same thing.  Who knows what the other ports will do.  I am going to cancel this cruise and see what Royal does during the next 60 days.  Fortunately I was able to do six Royal cruises before Royal stopped sailing even though I was on a B2B in March the ended one week early.

My answer is very dependent on my personal circumstances as I think everyone's should be.

My husband and I had two cruises canceled already and were asked that we work through our planned time off since we obviously weren't going. We therefore have plenty of paid time off we can use if the ship quarantines. We've both already had Covid-19 according to testing. My work has already said they'll waive the requirement for quarantine after international travel or cruising since I already had it, and my husband can work from home for 2 weeks when we return.

However we still wouldn't cruise in August. That's because we've already got a cruise scheduled for our Anniversary in October. We have fingers crossed and plan to be on the ship if it sails. However, if we didn't have that cruise planned and there was a good enough deal in August we would cruise only because our own particular set of circumstances makes it reasonable. 

This doesn't mean I think it is reasonable for the cruise lines to resume in August. We just don't know enough. That doesn't mean the CDC or Carnival don't know enough, but I think we all need a little more information to make our own personal decision. 

1 hour ago, TravelinGert said:

My answer is very dependent on my personal circumstances as I think everyone's should be.

My husband and I had two cruises canceled already and were asked that we work through our planned time off since we obviously weren't going. We therefore have plenty of paid time off we can use if the ship quarantines. We've both already had Covid-19 according to testing. My work has already said they'll waive the requirement for quarantine after international travel or cruising since I already had it, and my husband can work from home for 2 weeks when we return.

However we still wouldn't cruise in August. That's because we've already got a cruise scheduled for our Anniversary in October. We have fingers crossed and plan to be on the ship if it sails. However, if we didn't have that cruise planned and there was a good enough deal in August we would cruise only because our own particular set of circumstances makes it reasonable. 

This doesn't mean I think it is reasonable for the cruise lines to resume in August. We just don't know enough. That doesn't mean the CDC or Carnival don't know enough, but I think we all need a little more information to make our own personal decision. 

How do you think you got COVID19?  Was any back tracking done?  Thanks

4 hours ago, WeMissSeaView said:

I have the Empress on August 10th going out of Newark for.a New England/Canada cruise.  Portland, Maine has announced that their port will be closed and Bar Harbor may do the same thing.  Who knows what the other ports will do.  I am going to cancel this cruise and see what Royal does during the next 60 days.  Fortunately I was able to do six Royal cruises before Royal stopped sailing even though I was on a B2B in March the ended one week early.

Empress is heading to the UK in May. I guess it might be back by August. http://crew-center.com/royal-caribbean-announces-major-crew-repatriation-plan

European, Canadian and all other nationalities will be transferred to Freedom, Empress and Majesty. All three ships will cross the Atlantic Ocean and sail to Southampton where charter flights will be organized for crew repatriation.

Empress and Majesty will depart Port Miami on May 15, and arrive in Southampton on May 28.

Freedom of the Seas will depart Port Miami on May 15, and arrive in Southampton on May 24.

• 1 month later...
On 4/27/2020 at 9:32 PM, atgood said:

Just b/c there are refrigerated trunks doesn’t mean they are actually filled with bodies.  If NY/NJ is so overrun with Covid-19 patients, why is the USNS Comfort leaving soon?  It was brought in for the anticipated overflow of non-Covid-19 patients b/c the hospitals were going to be overrun with Covid-19 patients.  It even ended up being used to treat a few Covid-19 cases due to the low number of non-Covid patients it received.  

As last “Tuesday, the ship -- with 1,000 beds, 12 operating rooms and a medical staff of about 1,000 -- had treated a total of only 179 patients” and a few were for Covid-19.  sourcehttps://www.military.com/daily-news/2020/04/25/underused-comfort-leave-nyc-prepare-another-pandemic-mission-if-needed.html/amp

I’ve seen where it is alleged that Covid-19 patients in NYC are being put on a ventilator, are left to die without virtually any other remedies attempted, and the staff seems not to care.  And no, I’m not giving the source on that one.  The patients are by themselves without any family members due to the no visitor policy and sign for the treatment.  Their family members have no clue what is happening.  The no visitor policy seems to have an ulterior purpose.  

If it is indeed true about the treatment, then heck yeah the refrigerator boxes will be needed. 

I found this video very informative.  Unfortunately, the situation is probably being repeated a lot more than we know.