Do you REALLY think we'll be cruising this year?

MarkWiltonM

7 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Confused by your statement.  Are you saying that there are no vaccines developed and approved (except influenza) against any viral disease?  That is just not correct.

thanks, I posted the same thing & it somehow disappeared :)

On 4/22/2020 at 9:45 AM, dallasdan said:

I don't get a flu shot, so I wouldn't take a Covid 19 vaccine shot either.  So if they implemented a policy of requiring a vaccine to sail, then my cruise days would be over.  However, I don't see how they can implement a policy like that.  There are many different reasons why some people wouldn't get the vaccine.  Also, how would prove it.  A note from a doctor?  

I would hope that all airlines & cruise lines & countries would require it once it's available....  proof could be attached to one's passport just like Global Entry is.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Joeghartman said:

I could see the ships located in Florida sailing to their own private islands and that’s about it. If they did sailings to nowhere, I would definitely go to explore the Apex...since there’s no way I see our June 20 sailing happening.

That would all depend on whether the countries to which the islands belong decide to permit cruise lines to allow passengers ashore. Whether a cruise line owns or leases land in a foreign state, it is subject to that country's legislation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Joeghartman said:

I could see the ships located in Florida sailing to their own private islands and that’s about it. If they did sailings to nowhere, I would definitely go to explore the Apex...since there’s no way I see our June 20 sailing happening.

This is the way I see it slowly returning.  September maybe?  October?

Will accommodate those desperate to cruise but I think the limited interest would work to keep the ships at lower capacity, which will likely be essential at the beginning.  

When you say to their “own” private islands I hope you realize that the cruise lines don’t get to decide. The islands are not their “own”, they are in sovereign countries and those countries will have to allow the cruise ships to sail there. They might or they might not.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, yorky said:

There are no facts, but then much of the above is a prediction/talk of/warned of. That’s also not a fact.

15 hours ago, EscapeFromConnecticut said:

The facts tell us all we need to know about the odds for 2020 cruising:

Royal Caribbean laid off 26 percent of its workers, Hertz just laid off 10,000 in North America, Germany just canceled Oktoberfest 2020;

Cruise ships are sailing right now for one reason: To return crews members to their home countries;

CCL has publicly predicted "the substantial majority" of its fleet will be in "prolonged ship layup," California communities are already canceling July 4 fireworks, MLB is talking about playing the season in ballparks without fans;

No national concert tours are on schedule for 2020, there is no talk of international border restrictions being lifted, and the CDC this week warned of a second - more lethal - round of this virus starting this fall.

If there is evidence (genuine facts and science, not "optimism" and angry conjecture) to indicate cruise ships will sail again in 2020, let's see it.

No, you were indeed given facts.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ECCruise said:

This is the way I see it slowly returning.  September maybe?  October?

Will accommodate those desperate to cruise but I think the limited interest would work to keep the ships at lower capacity, which will likely be essential at the beginning.  

Exactly!!! Start with lower capacity and those who LOVE to cruise.  We will be back!! Slowly but surely. Don’t be so negative. Positivity! 
Hope Floats❤️ 🚢 🛳 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Confused by your statement.  Are you saying that there are no vaccines developed and approved (except influenza) against any viral disease?  That is just not correct.

My apology since I meant to say - no vaccine against influenza A, B, C, D viruses.

Wells Fargo is forecasting the cruise industry’s best case scenario is 25 to 30 capacity sailing later this year. Concerns to wreck even the best case scenario are an extension of the CDC no sail order and a predicted second wave of the virus.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

When you say to their “own” private islands I hope you realize that the cruise lines don’t get to decide. The islands are not their “own”, they are in sovereign countries and those countries will have to allow the cruise ships to sail there. They might or they might not.

Yea, I realize that. Didn’t think it would be taken literally as it was just a suggestion.

Yea, I realize that. Didn’t think it would be taken literally as it was just a suggestion.

I wasn’t sure you understand that. It is logical to assume that sailings to unpopulated private islands are more likely to be allowed than other sailings in the Caribbean when cruising can restart and it might very well happen that way.

11 hours ago, Retty2Go said:

No, you were indeed given facts.

How is a prediction, a fact ? Has the definition of the word “prediction” changed since I was at school.

Edited by yorky
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, PROCRUISE said:

My apology since I meant to say - no vaccine against influenza A, B, C, D viruses.

The influenza vaccine each year is made to protect against viral subtypes of the A and B strains which are the important human pathogens.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

The influenza vaccine each year is made to protect against viral subtypes of the A and B strains which are the important human pathogens.

Indeed, and A is the one that causes pandemics. However, the flu shot does not give one immunity to the flu in any given year. It is only an attempt to possibly giving one some protection. Take care, hope we can cruise sooner as opposed to much later. 🤗😊

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

If there are successful treatments for recovery that might be part of the solution.

The other solutions, social distancing on cruise ships and wearing masks are not enticing.

Here is my opinion for whatever it is worth.  If an effective and inexpensive drug therapy can be developed that would significantly reduce the COVID-19 hospitalizations and morbidity, and a resulting  significant decrease in mortality, then perhaps this disease could be effectively managed eventually just like most other human infectious diseases.  Even if no successful vaccine comes about. 

• Like 7

Social distancing and hygiene are essential and probably all that’s needed for the majority of the population under 60. Fatality rates are probably much lower than initial estimates. Unfortunately for cruise lines(and cruisers), a large percentage of their customers are in higher risk categories where simple measures may not be enough. Age and any underlying health problems may prevent us from cruising at all for quite some time!

23 hours ago, rimmit said:

I totally agree that this is a long haul deal, but lately in here I have been getting pushback for the “realistic” attitude toward  everything that is happening.

Good news on vaccines.  R&D is the most difficult part of vaccines.  Vaccines are very cheap compared to almost any medical therapy (why do you think insurance loves for people to get them), easily distributed and takes minutes to give a vaccine.  Eliminating small pox was done by vaccination and is one of the greatest achievements of mankind in the last 100 hundred years, so it gives me great hope that we can make a vaccine for Covid.  Will we eliminate Covid,  or likely,  but Historically, outside of HIV any communicable disease that we have Actually poured Immense amount of research dollars into We have been Able to make a vaccine for

It will definitely take a while To get everyone vaccinated that’s for sure, but we make 160 million flu vaccines A year just for the US alone and use most of them,  so the infrastructure is easily there to give vaccines and disseminate them, at least in the US.  

with everything happening, a vaccine is by far the thing I am most optimistic about.  I am have been somewhat realistic (or pessimistic based on how you take my posts) in my views of how this will unfold but vaccination is by far the one shining light I can see in this mess and a way to get the cruise ships moving with minimal restrictions in hopefully 18

months or so. 

rimmit, As someone who has spent a very large part of my career in vaccine R&D I certainly would not give you push back and I certainly share your enthusiasm and hopefulness for vaccines.  But the infrastructure requirement (manufacturing, packaging and distribution) are not as easy as you might suspect.  And unfortunately there are numerous examples beyond HIV/AIDS of no successful vaccines (yet) even after spending enormous efforts and money and time.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

rimmit, As someone who has spent a very large part of my career in vaccine R&D I certainly would not give you push back and I certainly share your enthusiasm and hopefulness for vaccines.  But the infrastructure requirement (manufacturing, packaging and distribution) are not as easy as you might suspect.  And unfortunately there are numerous examples beyond HIV/AIDS of no successful vaccines (yet) even after spending enormous efforts and money and time.

I Also deal daily with vaccines,  just not the R&D side, so I totally agree that some vaccines have yet to be made that we are working toward, RSV being one.  We have a monoclonal antibody that I am sure you are aware of, Pavlizumab, but no vaccine yet, but there are several  in trials right now for that.  EBV, CMV,  this list is big but no HUGE players in which the whole world is focusing their attention like HIV.

Vaccines can be typically distributed rather quickly often requiring dry ice or ice packs And a styrofoam container Via overnight shipping.  As long as they stay refrigerated from a distribution standpoint they do pretty well.  What other distribution problems are you referring too?  

I agree it’s definitely not as easy as many make it seem,  but it’s a lot better option than some IV therapy.

Edited by rimmit

5 hours ago, RICCruisers said:

All lighting on the ships will also be changed over from LED to Ultraviolet lights. Bedding will be Tanning Beds either Twin or Queen sized. 

Not how Ultraviolet lights would be used.  

Edited by shipshape sam