Do you REALLY think we'll be cruising this year?

MarkWiltonM

1 minute ago, registrar said:

I think cruise lines should start with short cruises to nowhere. Nothing better than days at sea. 

For some, true.

For us, we would have zero interest in a short cruise to nowhere.  Especially with likely necessary safeguards in place.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

I know this is Cruise Critic so folks here are focused on potential cruise line vaccine policies.  But.... First let's see if a highly effective vaccine actually gets developed and when.  Second let's see how many hundreds of millions of doses can be manufactured and distributed worldwide.  And at what cost. Third let's see who gets limited access at least initially like health care workers and the immune compromised people.  Fourth lets see if countries will require vaccinations or other requirements to enter.  Finally and probably much later on, lets see if healthy cruise passengers will  be required to be vaccinated for their own safety, and see which passengers choose to get vaccinated.    Cruise passengers will not be high on the initial priority list to get the limited vaccine available.   This all sounds to me like years and not months.

I totally agree that this is a long haul deal, but lately in here I have been getting pushback for the “realistic” attitude toward  everything that is happening.

Good news on vaccines.  R&D is the most difficult part of vaccines.  Vaccines are very cheap compared to almost any medical therapy (why do you think insurance loves for people to get them), easily distributed and takes minutes to give a vaccine.  Eliminating small pox was done by vaccination and is one of the greatest achievements of mankind in the last 100 hundred years, so it gives me great hope that we can make a vaccine for Covid.  Will we eliminate Covid,  or likely,  but Historically, outside of HIV any communicable disease that we have Actually poured Immense amount of research dollars into We have been Able to make a vaccine for

It will definitely take a while To get everyone vaccinated that’s for sure, but we make 160 million flu vaccines A year just for the US alone and use most of them,  so the infrastructure is easily there to give vaccines and disseminate them, at least in the US.  

with everything happening, a vaccine is by far the thing I am most optimistic about.  I am have been somewhat realistic (or pessimistic based on how you take my posts) in my views of how this will unfold but vaccination is by far the one shining light I can see in this mess and a way to get the cruise ships moving with minimal restrictions in hopefully 18

months or so. 

We have an Alaskan cruisetour booked for this year and are scheduled to leave September 2. I Had planned to cancel yesterday afternoon and transfer the booking to May, 2021, even with a large price increase. However, the noon news brought the forecast of another outbreak of covid19 over the winter. I am thinking that if cruises were cancelled for May of this year for a winter outbreak, wouldn't cruises be cancelled again for May of next year? We already have 2-week b2b cruises booked for August, 2021, so July and September are not realistic options, and June is even more costly and likely to be cancelled again if there is a another winter virus outbreak.  We decided to hang on until final payment in June to see if the virus is dying down and/or if Celebrity extends Cruise with Confidence beyond September 1. We are also over 70 and not likely to both get clearance from our doctors if the fit-to-cruise letter is still required in September. Decisions, decisions, decisions...

Stay well friends!

Edited by Glendakayself
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BigAl94 said:

Italy closed to tourists until March 2021

This is conjecture, not yet fact.  We're closely watching travel to Italy as we have a family wedding there in September. Not been notified of any changes -- yet.

18 minutes ago, Glendakayself said:

I am thinking that if cruises were cancelled for May of this year for a winter outbreak, wouldn't cruises be cancelled again for May of next year?

There could be better treatments by May 2021 that would make traveling less risky.  I would certainly not book anything that has a nonrefundable deposit, though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Emirates recently became the first airline to initiate covid-19 finger ***** tests immediately before flights, for destinations requiring prior testing. 

Possibly something like a passenger certification- giving the date of your flu shot and if you have tested for Covid-19  -

an added page to your passport maybe? Would make it easy to keep track of if added to your passport & easy for security to read and would open up the workforce and world faster to have easy access to this information. If you don't want to share your health info that is your choice and you could not travel. 

9 minutes ago, bEwAbG said:

There could be better treatments by May 2021 that would make traveling less risky.  I would certainly not book anything that has a nonrefundable deposit, though.

Agree. We are RD all the way on all the cruises we have booked. Nothing is offered currently on the website for 2021 with NRD that I am seeing. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TLG40 said:

Emirates recently became the first airline to initiate covid-19 finger ***** tests immediately before flights, for destinations requiring prior testing. 

Possibly something like a passenger certification- giving the date of your flu shot and if you have tested for Covid-19  -

an added page to your passport maybe? Would make it easy to keep track of if added to your passport & easy for security to read and would open up the workforce and world faster to have easy access to this information. If you don't want to share your health info that is your choice and you could not travel. 

However, we risk exposure anytime we leave our house after the certification, and on the way to the airport, on the plane, on the way to the port, and then in every port visited. We would have to be tested and retested everyday. I love the idea of the dogs that they are training to sniff for the virus.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, TLG40 said:

if you have tested for Covid-19  -

And if it is shown that having it does not grant immunity OR if you are one of the people who do not store antibodies, then what? Being tested for having had it will do no good. And a test prior to embarkation day will do no good as you can easily have been exposed, test negative one day, and positive the next.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

And if it is shown that having it does not grant immunity OR if you are one of the people who do not store antibodies, then what? Being tested for having had it will do no good. And a test prior to embarkation day will do no good as you can easily have been exposed, test negative one day, and positive the next.

Very true.....lots of questions for the travel industry to answer.  

• Like 2

23 hours ago, dallasdan said:

I don't get a flu shot, so I wouldn't take a Covid 19 vaccine shot either.  So if they implemented a policy of requiring a vaccine to sail, then my cruise days would be over.  However, I don't see how they can implement a policy like that.  There are many different reasons why some people wouldn't get the vaccine.  Also, how would prove it.  A note from a doctor?  

The only circumstances I would said again is on the basis of full vaccine certification for all crew and passengers. So it very much suits me that you will not be sailing.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, farawayatsea said:

The only circumstances I would said again is on the basis of full vaccine certification for all crew and passengers. So it very much suits me that you will not be sailing.

Based on your own criteria it sounds like you are the one that won't be cruising. Bon Voyage. 🥂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Glendakayself said:

We have an Alaskan cruisetour booked for this year and are scheduled to leave September 2. I Had planned to cancel yesterday afternoon and transfer the booking to May, 2021, even with a large price increase. However, the noon news brought the forecast of another outbreak of covid19 over the winter. I am thinking that if cruises were cancelled for May of this year for a winter outbreak, wouldn't cruises be cancelled again for May of next year? We already have 2-week b2b cruises booked for August, 2021, so July and September are not realistic options, and June is even more costly and likely to be cancelled again if there is a another winter virus outbreak.  We decided to hang on until final payment in June to see if the virus is dying down and/or if Celebrity extends Cruise with Confidence beyond September 1. We are also over 70 and not likely to both get clearance from our doctors if the fit-to-cruise letter is still required in September. Decisions, decisions, decisions...

Stay well friends!

g - continue to keep the faith and rolling with the changes, really the changes, as we do not know where or what form these changes will take on.

I, for one, appreciate the desire to go as I badly want to do and soon!!!

In health and bon voyage

• Like 1

We will cruise as soon as one of our favorite lines start sailing.   That being said, neither my husband or myself have pre existing conditions that would make us seriously ill from any virus.   We have had all recommended vaccines, and see our doctors as required.     If “fit to sail” certificates are required we will get them as we have already discussed this with our doctors.   We no longer cruise on the large ships and Azamara and Seabourn are what we choose because of their smaller size.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

I think the decision is pretty easy for us. We have a cruise that is in nine months. If we were required to wear masks for our own safety or the illusion of safety...we will not go. 

I hear ya and am on your side -- We go on cruises to enjoy and have a good time -- meeting new friends, enjoying great service , great food, and just having fun. Never had a bad cruise .

With all the  " anticipated '' restrictions regarding wearing a mask , age qualification , proof of medical condition from your doctor , social distancing ( impossible because of the width of hallways, seating everywhere, elevator occupancy ) , everybody watching everybody whether they are conforming , etc---- I get knots in my stomach just writing this--- 

Doesn't sound like fun to me-- So, for the time being, we will wait and see before cancelling our November cruise.

No Bye, Bye, YET  from ------- you know who you are .

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, govanguy said:

That is simply a cut and paste of the sailings scheduled after the last pause.

No way there are extensive sailings in Italy in 6 weeks.  And since the crossings have been cancelled, how and when would the ships get to Europe?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pinboy said:

I hear ya and am on your side -- We go on cruises to enjoy and have a good time -- meeting new friends, enjoying great service , great food, and just having fun. Never had a bad cruise .

With all the  " anticipated '' restrictions regarding wearing a mask , age qualification , proof of medical condition from your doctor , social distancing ( impossible because of the width of hallways, seating everywhere, elevator occupancy ) , everybody watching everybody whether they are conforming , etc---- I get knots in my stomach just writing this--- 

Doesn't sound like fun to me-- So, for the time being, we will wait and see before cancelling our November cruise.

No Bye, Bye, YET  from ------- you know who you are .

After you board, go directly to The Martini Bar have a few and all will be forgotten and help you relax, for the most part! LOL

bon voyage

• Like 2

There is no overwhelming necessity for cruising to begin again at all. If it cannot be done safely, it won't begin.

We need to understand that there is no precedent by which to predict anything about Covid-19. It has an extended incubation period for some people, but not most. It seems to most severely affect older people and those with certain underlying conditions, but has also killed totally healthy youngsters and young adults. It usually takes about three weeks to progress to death, but has killed in a week and even after people were deemed recovered. It appears that some people may have had milder undiagnosed cases, implying it is not as deadly as feared, but testing has been woefully inadequate and inaccurate so no one knows for sure. And no one knows for sure if a recovered person acquires immunity, and if so, whether it lasts.

I am only reciting all these things because until these questions are reliably answered and the inconsistencies solved, no predictions can be made about far more than just leisure travel. We know all of those answers about most viruses, but none of those viruses present all of those problems simultaneously. 

Best case is we solve all these issues and an effective permanent vaccine is developed. Less desirable would be development of treatments that reduce severity and/or eliminate fatalities. Worst case is the continued spread and re-spread of the virus through the human race, randomly killing and maiming, resulting in extraordinarily corecive control measures making today's inconveniences seem like a parental grounding by comparison.

That last possibility seems the least likely due to the heroic efforts of health experts world-wide. Other viruses have eventually been controlled or have died out when they killed their hosts or created enough immunity to stop spread. But ultimately a permanent viral threat is what the virologists are seeking to prevent. While wishing for a return to normalcy, we need to remember that effort when we consider what we are willing to do to help, not hinder, the effort.

Edited by mayleeman
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, Glendakayself said:

Agree. We are RD all the way on all the cruises we have booked. Nothing is offered currently on the website for 2021 with NRD that I am seeing. 

Call your TA.  Mine offered space with RD on almost every cruise.  Would never buy from the website.  Again just my thought.