Big Price Drop - New York to Greenland 8/17/2020

Syracusefan

I have had this 16 day cruise to New York City to Greenland (8/17/2020) cruise booked for almost a year.  My original booking price for an interior stateroom was $2300 and Princess dropped the price today to $1149.

Due to the price drop I ended up moving to an obstructed midship ocean view stateroom for only $1323.

I am keeping my fingers crossed this cruise won’t get cancelled since these prices are amazing for a 16 day cruise.  Only time will tell with regards to this or any other post COVID19 cruise.

88895E33-4D27-4ADE-A04B-1DF7170AC9CE.png

• Like 1

10 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

I am booked on the Aug 2021 cruise and have been looking at the amazing price for this year before a vaccine is released for covid 19. I'll not gamble with my health and wait another year to go. 

Although we can be optimistic, even though many companies/labs are working on developing a vaccine for Covid-19, there is no guarantee that one will ever be developed.

They have been trying to develop a vaccine for the virus that causes AIDS without success for well over a decade.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Syracusefan said:

I have had this 16 day cruise to New York City to Greenland (8/17/2020) cruise booked for almost a year.  My original booking price for an interior stateroom was $2300 and Princess dropped the price today to $1149.

Due to the price drop I ended up moving to an obstructed midship ocean view stateroom for only $1323.

I am keeping my fingers crossed this cruise won’t get cancelled since these prices are amazing for a 16 day cruise.  Only time will tell with regards to this or any other post COVID19 cruise.

May want to look again. Current pricing for mid-ship obstructed oceanview is lower with Princess Savers price is $964 + the taxes.

However, unobstructed oceanview pricing is even lower. Midship Princess Savers price is $955 + the taxes.

• Like 2

I hope for you this cruise goes, but I sincerely doubt any of the Greenland ports will be open.  I would keep a close eye on the situation.  Canada closed all arctic ports for the year (not sure if St. John’s is included) and most of these small, remote towns are very reluctant to have any visitors, let alone a large cruise ship arrive because of a lack of medical facilities.  

Cruise lines can significantly change their itineraries (as in not go to Greenland) and you are still on the hook for the cruise.  

5 hours ago, wolfie11 said:

I hope for you this cruise goes, but I sincerely doubt any of the Greenland ports will be open.  I would keep a close eye on the situation.  Canada closed all arctic ports for the year (not sure if St. John’s is included) and most of these small, remote towns are very reluctant to have any visitors, let alone a large cruise ship arrive because of a lack of medical facilities.  

Cruise lines can significantly change their itineraries (as in not go to Greenland) and you are still on the hook for the cruise.  

I am surprised Princess is taking a cruise ship to Greenland, with its limited infrastructure, at this uncertain time due to the corona virus.

We took this cruise in 2020, and it was wonderful. Yes, there were drawbacks as to Greenland’s infrastructure to handle a cruise ship as large as the Caribbean Princess, but those limitations only applied to one out of three of Greenland’s ports. Princess entertainment was also a disappointment, but looking back, the disappointments fades away, and only the memories of a magical country like Greenland remain. I hope you are able to make the cruise. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mackenzie1 said:

We took this cruise in 2020, and it was wonderful. Yes, there were drawbacks as to Greenland’s infrastructure to handle a cruise ship as large as the Caribbean Princess, but those limitations only applied to one out of three of Greenland’s ports. Princess entertainment was also a disappointment, but looking back, the disappointments fades away, and only the memories of a magical country like Greenland remain. I hope you are able to make the cruise. 

Did you mean 2019??

Theo

• Like 1

If Princess offered me a suite for $1.00, I would not be interested in a cruise set for August of 2020 round trip from NYC.

Perhaps people interested in a cruise this Summer have not been affected by the Covid-19 making much of an impact on their lives and don’t realize the serious effects of the disease.  My DH and I are faced with the reality everyday,living in a small community on Eastern Long Island ( Suffolk County)where,today, the reported cases of the virus is 268. We have lost two wonderful neighbors and our lives are very different in that we are trying to maintain our own health,while respecting the well-being of others in the community by staying home.

NYC is a hot spot for the virus. Consider the statistics of reported confirmed cases and deaths for City residents and those in the tri-State area. Those numbers are high indicating that the disease continues to be present in those areas.

How will Princess screen passengers for Covid-19, recognize that some passengers are asymptomatic, maintain high sanitary conditions and ensure that passengers maintain social distance on such a cruise ?

Until there is a proven treatment and /or a vaccine for Covid-19 and the number of cases are extremely low to none, my DH and I will not be taking any cruise from any port  for any itinerary. This is unfortunate as we did enjoy cruises. We are Platinum on Princess,very close to being Elite. However,our health and well+being trumps any reduced fare that Princess could offer anytime soon.

• Like 6

And just like that a 16 day cruise turned into a 30 day cruise.  With this in mind I wouldn't book any category lower than a balcony. I live on Long Island in Nassau County and you couldn't pay me to book a cruise leaving from New York in August.  Covid isn't going anyplace over night.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

And just like that a 16 day cruise turned into a 30 day cruise.  With this in mind I wouldn't book any category lower than a balcony. I live on Long Island in Nassau County and you couldn't pay me to book a cruise leaving from New York in August.  Covid isn't going anyplace over night.

I can not imagine NYC allowing a cruise ship in their city by August.

• Like 1

We were on the Greenland cruise in 2019, got it for $700 each interior, wait until the last minute, especially at this uncertain time.   

Having said that, and this is partially joking and partially serious..........we think we got a version of coronavirus on that cruise!!  We have never been so sick(80% of the passengers were sick coughing by the end). We were sick for 2 months after the cruise.  My husband and I  jokingly say that we cruise passengers brought the infection from Greenland!! Despite numerous visits to the doctor after the cruise, there was no diagnosis.  

Anyway, the ports to Greenland were great, but the CB is too darn crowded. There would be 0 chance of ever being 6ft away from anyone.  And sitting in the theater for 1 hour before the show(like we did every night) with all the sick people would be a covid night mare.  I would not go again for $100.  

• Like 1

We’ve taken 30+ cruises, are 70 years old, and VERY healthy. But, if we took this cruise we wouldn’t have to worry about the virus killing us ... our kids would kill us before we even left home just for considering the idea of cruising this summer!!

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, SeaDog-46 said:

2021 is the last summer the large cruise ships will be allowed into any Greenland port.

January 1st 2022 the Polar Code comes into force.

Glad we've been able to stop in Greenland twice (Nuuk twice, Qaqotoq once) in 2009 and 2010, both on fall TAs.  Was intrigued to see this summer's itinerary out of NYC that stops there.

22 hours ago, SeaDog-46 said:

2021 is the last summer the large cruise ships will be allowed into any Greenland port.

What is the polar code?

15 hours ago, FlorenceItaly said:

I can not imagine NYC allowing a cruise ship in their city by August.

I don't think there'll be any cruising anywhere by August. Can you imagine if a cruise line recommences cruising and they get the Corona virus going through the ship. This company would go out of business so I think all companies are going to be extremely cautious about starting up again. 

• Like 1

On 4/23/2020 at 7:18 PM, SeaDog-46 said:

Are they actually enforcing that?  I have seen many Cruise lines schedule drive bys in 2022.  We originally booked a 2021 drive by assuming it was the last year, but cruise lines seem to be ignoring it.

14 hours ago, leck57 said:

I don't think there'll be any cruising anywhere by August. Can you imagine if a cruise line recommences cruising and they get the Corona virus going through the ship. This company would go out of business so I think all companies are going to be extremely cautious about starting up again. 

Princess is already the poster child for Covid on board a cruise ship. I would imagine that they will be very cautious when starting up again. Carnival Cruise lines canceled all sailing from NYC this summer so I just don't see this Greenland sailing happening.  Why anyone would want board a ship from the epicenter of the virus is beyond me and if Princess decides to do so this summer, they deserve to be sued and go bankrupt if they get into a quarantine situation again.

I was on the Greenland cruise last year 2019. Loved the cruise. As someone mentioned, there was some kind of Cruise Crud on board. It hit me the last two days of the cruise although our friends got it much sooner. So sick. I didn't leave the cabin. Then I had to get on an airplane. Fortunately we flew home Business class and wasn't squeezed in infecting  others. My husband never got it.That cruise was incredible even with the sickness on board.I would do it again in a heartbeat. Sailing from and back to NY beautiful.