Italy Closed to Visitors till Years End

1 minute ago, Heymarco said:

I don’t see any other new sources to confirm this information. Most other news sources are discussing Italy’s slow reopening plans. Fake news?

I don't think it's fake news. Italy has confirmed nobody is allowed to leave the region they live in... So tourism is not an option. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There will be plenty of confirmation coming soon when the EU and the various governments plans are all put into place and made official. Until then the news leaking out gradually about what the various governments are considering and what is being discussed at the European Union level are the only clues we have to go on. 

Most indicators have been looking at October being the earliest possible start for international tourism and with the cancellation of Oktoberfest last week that seems to indicate an end of 2020 date now to be the most likely. 

This article is based off of an article that does appear in Italy's La Repubblica a well respected 'traditional' newspaper. It is certainly not known as a source of 'fake news' 

https://rep.repubblica.it/pwa/intervista/2020/04/24/news/il_turismo_riapro_siti_e_musei_bonus_anche_per_gli_stabilimenti_no_al_plexigass_in_spiaggia_-254834719/

28 minutes ago, Heymarco said:

Why can’t I find any other sources to corroborate that Italy is closed for tourism through Dec 31? At this point it seems like clickbait until a better source confirms. Please post if you have one, otherwise it’s not true.

Yeah, 8+ months out, lot can happen between now and then

1 hour ago, MADflyer said:

There will be plenty of confirmation coming soon when the EU and the various governments plans are all put into place and made official. Until then the news leaking out gradually about what the various governments are considering and what is being discussed at the European Union level are the only clues we have to go on. 

Most indicators have been looking at October being the earliest possible start for international tourism and with the cancellation of Oktoberfest last week that seems to indicate an end of 2020 date now to be the most likely. 

This article is based off of an article that does appear in Italy's La Repubblica a well respected 'traditional' newspaper. It is certainly not known as a source of 'fake news' 

https://rep.repubblica.it/pwa/intervista/2020/04/24/news/il_turismo_riapro_siti_e_musei_bonus_anche_per_gli_stabilimenti_no_al_plexigass_in_spiaggia_-254834719/

Octoberfest is a little different. It brings in 6 million people to one small area.

2 minutes ago, EscapeFromConnecticut said:

A country tentatively easing the lockdown measures on its own citizens is utterly different than greeting international travel.

I agree. I personally hope our country follows suit.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, zonacruiser25 said:

The signs all seem to point to blocking international travel around Spain and Italy till around Christmas.  I hope cruises act quickly to help us out with proper and timely cancellations so we can change our plans. 

If they continue the trend of cancelling cruises in 30 day blocks once it becomes clear that countries will be shut down then it shows a total lack of respect for their customers.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

If they continue the trend of cancelling cruises in 30 day blocks once it becomes clear that countries will be shut down then it shows a total lack of respect for their customers.

And it's a way to hang on to cruisers $$$. I'm sure they know now that there are many cruises that will be cancelled but won't do it. We have Radiance Vancouver-Tokyo-Singapore Sept 4. I doubtful it will sail but don't see it being cancelled before final payment is due the first week in June. 

Edited by suzyluvs2cruise
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

And it's a way to hang on to cruisers $$$. I'm sure they know now that there are many cruises that will be cancelled but won't do it. We have Radiance Vancouver-Tokyo-Singapore Sept 4. I doubtful it will sail but don't see it being cancelled before final payment is due the first week in June. 

I feel really badly for folks like you facing a final payment date for a cruise that is not likely to happen. I'm not sure what I would do. If I paid and hung on I don't think I would enjoy one day of anticipation always wondering if it would get pull out from under me.

• Like 3

I'll not be paying final payment on June 28 for my Sep cruise... I'll take the FCC for the deposit if that offer is extended for Sep but I'm not risking the rest of the payment just for the chance of getting the deposit back as part of a refund.

Not throwing good money after bad.

I don't think any chance of cruising in Sep and mine is Baltimore to Bermuda.

Edited by twins_to_alaska
  • Like 7

None of the cruise lines are worried about loyalty problems in 2021, more concerned with making it to 2021.  Expect the continued 30 day cancellations going forward to keep as much of your money as long as possible.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

Spain is also closed until Christmas/the end of the year for tourism, according to recent reports. And I seriously doubt if there will be an announcement from the cruise line before final payment is due. 

Edited by Coralc

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

I feel really badly for folks like you facing a final payment date for a cruise that is not likely to happen. I'm not sure what I would do. If I paid and hung on I don't think I would enjoy one day of anticipation always wondering if it would get pull out from under me.

We would cancel now but have a NRD for b2b GS. When we booked we thought the only reason we might cancel was due to a health issue that would be covered by Insurance. How times have changed. If we could get a refund and not an FCC we'd cancel now. Hoping to know more by final payment date. 

Edited by suzyluvs2cruise

11 minutes ago, deepcman said:

Like me, you may have to pucker up and kiss that NRD good bye. At least mine was with Next Cruise so I'm only losing $200. I may open a claim with my credit card company for ships and giggles.

Too late to dispute with CC for us as it's been well over 60 days. 

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

The way Royal is rolling out cancellations is only win win for Royal. Disgusting. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

The way Royal is rolling out cancellations is only win win for Royal. Disgusting. 

Protecting shareholder value. 💰💰💰

Thought you were a big fan🤔

Or does that not count when it impacts you😉

🎤

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Like 3

Right now it is just becoming official, up until this point it was purely speculation that some of Europe would not be open this season.  Even right now it is not all of Europe that is confirmed to be closed.

There is no reason to think that Royal won’t do exactly as it did with Alaska when it was announced that the Canadian ports would be closed until July 1st.  It took a couple weeks however Royal did cancel those sailings more than 30 days in advance as they had confirmation that the ports would be closed.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1