What are chances we go on Caribbean Cruise in Sept ?

7 hours ago, Ronin23 said:

Reports are when cruises do return that at least initially passengers will be required to wear masks, amongst other safety initiatives.

Now, why anyone would want to go on a cruise under these conditions is beyond me.

Where did you see that ?

7 hours ago, Ronin23 said:

Reports are when cruises do return that at least initially passengers will be required to wear masks, amongst other safety initiatives.

Now, why anyone would want to go on a cruise under these conditions is beyond me.

Regarding passengers wearing masks - please site the source of this.  Have never heard it and have been paying close attention as I have three more cruises booked this year, and two in early January.  Have heard perhaps staff wearing them, but not passengers.

1 hour ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Your cruise in September might be a cruise to nowhere.  Islands will not accept cruise ships for fear of infection.  Cruise ships might not want to land at islands that show evidence of infection.  Flying to meet the cruise ship will also pose problems.  

A limited number of ships might cruise at some point to the islands owned by the cruiselines once cruising starts up.

9 hours ago, Ronin23 said:

2 hours ago, yorky said:

Where did you see that ?

2 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

Regarding passengers wearing masks - please site the source of this.  Have never heard it and have been paying close attention as I have three more cruises booked this year, and two in early January.  Have heard perhaps staff wearing them, but not passengers.

There have been endless threads discussing what cruising will look like when it finally restarts, including the measures that Celebrity will take. These vary from dockside temperature taking to crew serving meals in the Oceanview Cafe to social distancing. One of the frequently mentioned possibilities has been the requirement to wear masks. However, while many cruise lines have indicated their commitment to maintaining safe, clean environments when cruising restarts, none to my knowledge have formally announced what specific steps they plan to take. So, many speculative posts but no official reports AFAIK.

9 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

There have been endless threads discussing what cruising will look like when it finally restarts, including the measures that Celebrity will take. These vary from dockside temperature taking to crew serving meals in the Oceanview Cafe to social distancing. One of the frequently mentioned possibilities has been the requirement to wear masks. However, while many cruise lines have indicated their commitment to maintaining safe, clean environments when cruising restarts, none to my knowledge have formally announced what specific steps they plan to take. So, many speculative posts but no official reports AFAIK.

I really can't believe that they would REQUIRE passengers to wear masks !

Guess we will all have to just wait and see 🙄 

7 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

That’s the problem when speculation is more or less reported as fact. We had a poster stating Italy was closed to tourist until next  March which was just untrue, we have this with face masks. We are all looking at what we do with future cruises and I can pretty much guarantee that passengers having to wear face masks will put many off including us. If it’s stated as going to happen we need to know where that information has come from because it’s the difference between cancelling and not.

3 minutes ago, GreenValleyDogWalker said:

I know in another thread Disney was brought up (theme parks in this case) with a strong feeling that their strategies for reopening may indicate the path cruise lines will follow. They have announced that cast members AND guests WILL be required to wear masks in the parks when they reopen. Again, this is just the theme parks as Disney leadership has indicated the cruise line may likely be the last part to open.

We shall see what the cruise lines end up doing.

Edited by WrittenOnYourHeart
  • Thanks 1

Must read: repatriation of crews on this board and on RCL - most crew are being returned to their home countries, almost all with expired contracts. All the cruise lines are going to need crew before there able to sail again, from where?

We still have a booking for 10/17 from Boston on the Summit, final payment is 7/1/20, Celebrity will cancel after that date holding our money and hoping we take the fcc. That seems to be the pattern so far, why have cruises for June - September that there still taking reservations and final payments when there is only a slight chance of sailing during this time.
This week BC(Vancouver port)  had an announcement that prohibits ships with greater than 50 people, yet Celebrity still has Alaska listed.

Hal

5 hours ago, sanger727 said:

Have you looked to see if there’s any options for Sept 2021 to move your ‘great deal’ under the new cruise with confidence plan? If there is, I would seriously consider doing that before the offer expires. I agree with the others that it’s unlikely that your cruise will go; and if it does that most to all of your ports will be open and unchanged. 

Yes - have indeed looked for options for 2021 - Celebrity only shows a March 2021 for 12 days on their web-site for now...with a very similar itinerary - that won't work for us - (already have a transatlantic booked for April 2021) 

Some TA's show some 12 day cruises - but none that are EXACTLY the same - 

Our current Sept 2020 booking is for 11 days)

My notes to myself is that if we want to book the "great deal" - same cruise - same price - same promotion - we need to do by August 1, 2020 - so will make a note on my calendar - and (I guess) contact Celebrity on July 31st !

15 minutes ago, GreenValleyDogWalker said:

There are many jurisdictions in the US, Canada and elsewhere that have or had this requirement. But while I personally have no issue with the requirement at home and gladly wear one when heading out to do the grocery shopping, I seriously doubt that I would ever take a cruise wearing a mask.

12 minutes ago, HS2BS said:

This week BC(Vancouver port)  had an announcement that prohibits ships with greater than 50 people, yet Celebrity still has Alaska listed.

You are confusing a couple of issues here. On March 13, the federal government announced the closure of all Canadian ports to cruise ships that are capable of carrying 500 or more persons, including both passengers and crew members. That remains in place until June 30 and is subject to being extended.

The BC government's announcement earlier this week on the phases of reopening the province included limiting social group sizes to 50 people. This was in no way directed at cruising.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

There are many jurisdictions in the US, Canada and elsewhere that have or had this requirement. But while I personally have no issue with the requirement at home and gladly wear one when heading out to do the grocery shopping, I seriously doubt that I would ever take a cruise wearing a mask.

In an email from a Danish Cruise Travel Agency last Tuesday, they provided the following information:

«Only safe destinations are selected.

• Both guests and crew receive measured temperature when boarding.

• Cleaning will be performed "all the time" and "all places", e.g. every two hours in corridors and

restaurants and after every show in the theater. This also applies in terminals.

• End with a "take yourself buffet" - there will be employees serving food and drinks.

• All guests must spray / wash before entering restaurants.

• Staff use masks and gloves.

• Air filtration on the ship will be improved.

• Social distance - maximum number of guests in theater, bars, etc.

• All lifts are serviced by personnel.

• All ships must be checked and approved by relevant health authorities before departure.

Of course, other measures may come, as there may be differences between the shipping companies.»

Personally, my family and I will not book any new cruises until we hopefully sometime in the future, again will bee able to experience a more "normal and relaxing cruise experience" aboard.

• Like 1

We're booked on Equinox for a Sept 4 ABC.  Been on our bucket list for a while.  If all the planets and stars line up and it happens that's great. If it doesn't we've already researched 2021 cruises for transfer.  There will be some industry changes but this isn't the end of the world regardless of what we see on the "news".   Improvise, adapt, overcome. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

Thanks @jakob71. Not something to look forward to. By moving our March 2021 cruise to March 2022, we are hoping that some of these measures will no longer be necessary.

In a long interview here on Cruise Critic News, on May 8, President and CEO Frank Del Rio of Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings said, among other things the following:  

«But as the world learns more about COVID-19 and technologies emerge to help people adapt, these measures might naturally change. We're going to throw the kitchen sink at it because we need to establish confidence. We don't know everything about this virus, so we're going to throw everything at it. And over time as we learn more, as technologies improve - as vaccines, therapeutics, testing come online much better than they are today -- then some of those things, we'll be able to reduce or eliminate.»

I really cross my fingers that he gets right in his assumptions!

Think cruising in September all depends on what year!  Can only think 2020 - close to zero.  2021 probably 80%.  2022 good to go.

Cannot come up with a scenario where the cruiselines would risk starting with a vaccine.

3 hours ago, jakob71 said:

In an email from a Danish Cruise Travel Agency last Tuesday, they provided the following information:

«Only safe destinations are selected.

• Both guests and crew receive measured temperature when boarding.

• Cleaning will be performed "all the time" and "all places", e.g. every two hours in corridors and

restaurants and after every show in the theater. This also applies in terminals.

• End with a "take yourself buffet" - there will be employees serving food and drinks.

• All guests must spray / wash before entering restaurants.

• Staff use masks and gloves.

• Air filtration on the ship will be improved.

• Social distance - maximum number of guests in theater, bars, etc.

• All lifts are serviced by personnel.

• All ships must be checked and approved by relevant health authorities before departure.

Of course, other measures may come, as there may be differences between the shipping companies.»

Personally, my family and I will not book any new cruises until we hopefully sometime in the future, again will bee able to experience a more "normal and relaxing cruise experience" aboard.

Don't really see us paying money for such an experience.  We love cruising but not that important to us.

Plus, some are, for us, non starters.

1) Temperature checks do nothing for asymptomatic spreaders.  Only takes one.

2)  Air filtration is shared between cabins.  How do you "improve" that without tearing the ship apart?

3) "Safe destinations": ports can change their entry approval within hours.  That happened to us 6 times in March, including disembarkation port.

We will wait I think.  Waiting for them to cancel our 2 September (Japan and Asia), 1 November (crossing) and 1 December (South America) cruises or we will cancel on our own before final.

January, February and April cruises will wait to see how things shake out.

12 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

It was referenced in an interview in this very site with Frank Del Rio from NCL.

Early on at least it’s expected that masks will need to be worn.

https://www.cruisecritic.com.au/news/5340/

Edited by Ronin23

16 hours ago, bouhunter said:

I agree.  Even if ships are actually sailing in 3-4 months I doubt it's somewhere we'll want to be.  Yesterday we used the new "lift and shift" to move our October RCCL cruise to October 2021.

Could someone please give the link to the "Lift & Shift" conditions as I cannot find it on X website.

A small possibility you might see some ships doing very short cruises to private islands.  Most likely not the itineraries most people have booked.

I suspect the odds of even that happening in September is low.