More Cancellations Imminent?

Sleeptastic

15 minutes ago, wowzz said:

In extremis, I imagine that the Government will have to bail out ABTA when/if Carnival  fail. However,  I can see the refunds for Princess, Cunard, P&O,  Seabourne  taking much longer to come through than the current 60 days.

I just cannot see why people are so desperate to book a cruise  with a company that is on the brink of bankruptcy.  

Get your money out while you can,  and book another cruise once the financial situation is clear.

We need to book on launch to secure the adapted cabin we want, and I can't see us changing that practise wowzz, we have 4 others to come, which is why my FCC from the deposit won't be used until summer 2022 is launched.  Always assuming that P&O are still operating.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

We need to book on launch to secure the adapted cabin we want, and I can't see us changing that practise wowzz, we have 4 others to come, which is why my FCC from the deposit won't be used until summer 2022 is launched.  Always assuming that P&O are still operating.

I can understand why you would book early, given your particular circumstances.  

However, I do not understand the general frenzy to book a bog standard cruise to,  for example,  the Canaries, in May next year,  at an inflated price, on a financially precarious cruise line, with unknown social distancing restrictions. Why not just take the money now, and see what happens?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We are sad that our October cruise has now been cancelled. We wouldn’t have been able to travel to the UK for it anyway with Australia’s strict travel restrictions. We were lucky that we hadn’t paid the full fare yet. Now we have to try and get a refund or flight credits for our very expensive flights from Perth. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Britboys said:

Pleased to say that is the case for me. I was due on Aurora departing 12th October. Definitely pleased I haven't had to think about paying the final balance. Disappointed but relieved.

Yes I was on that too and was a bit concerned about paying the balance as it was an expensive cruise, booked onboard 2 years ago with a £50 deposit. I was really looking forward to it but at least the uncertainty is now over.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, drsel said:

The carnival family is most likely going to survive along with the Royal Caribbean group.
Carnivals profit last year was over 3 billion dollars

Carnival had to borrow $6bn at a silly rate of interest to keep going. Their cash runs out at the end of the year, so things are looking bleak.

They may have made $3bn last year, but that counts for nothing when you are losing $1bn a month.

3 hours ago, drsel said:

I have a P&O cruise booked end October 2020.
I hope it will sail as scheduled.
I paid a deposit and the balance amount will be automatically deducted from my credit card in July

I am the same, but won't be paying the balance for Arcadia 18th October.  However, I will be stuck as to what to do with the FCC for the deposit, as I have 2 booked for 2021.

For the benefit of anyone making calls about cancellations and FCCs - both of the 03 numbers are chokka as you would expect and I couldn't join a queue.  

If you are wishing to redeem a FCC from the latest cancellation batch then a call is needed as the FCCs have not, in the main, yet been added to cancelled bookings - certainly in my case.  This will protect against current price inflation and allow transfers whilst the 5pc not 15pc offer is in place for most cruises.

Calling the lesser known 7p a minute number I got straight through when I wanted to transfer my small cancelled deposit, - not a full balance of course - to a short cruise at the end of 2021.  All done in 15 minutes - yes I know this cost me a little, but less aggro.  

Only 89 days, 23 hours and 40 minutes (ish) less than the likely refund time...🤔

0845 642 0174 was the one that I got through on - very helpful I must say, good service for a change.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, drsel said:

Kindly post the toll free numbers of P &O

O800 052 3840

0345 355 5111

Try the  0800 one first. My friend had problems with 0345 yesterday even phoning at 9.15.  Good luck

Avril 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, mercury7289 said:

I think the opposite, I would wait until the itinerary is properly known, and then that you are happy, that you can get insurance, and also until the new brochure is out.

Do not see the need to rush in.

Looking at Roll Calls Azura A016, cruise on 9th Aug '20. Poster 'Padcomp' cancelled (2 months ago) and transferred from Azura to Ventura N116, cruise on 22nd Aug '21. It's gone up by 25% in the last 2 months.

About one month ago CC interviewed a CO of one of the major cruise lines and asked "What will dictate prices for 2021" The reply was simple "Demand".

IMHO there are other factors that could increase prices :- Insurance the cruise-line pays. Breaks in supply chains - food and employees. Bailout loans from Banks. A demand for (healthier) balconies. A surplus of folk with FCC's burning holes in their pockets.

On the other hand, I'm skeptical about the reduced capacity claims, there's an element of Health & Safety hype about it and if they come up with workable anti-virus, folk will be happy to fly and sail again. However, I think it's a brave person who defers their FCC's too long.

24 minutes ago, Bertie Doe said:

N116, cruise on 22nd Aug '21. It's gone up by 25% in the last 2 months.

That's  because the FCC included an extra 25% as a sweetener. There's always a catch. If it looks too good to be true, it usually is.

Avril 

54 minutes ago, Bertie Doe said:

Looking at Roll Calls Azura A016, cruise on 9th Aug '20. Poster 'Padcomp' cancelled (2 months ago) and transferred from Azura to Ventura N116, cruise on 22nd Aug '21. It's gone up by 25% in the last 2 months.

About one month ago CC interviewed a CO of one of the major cruise lines and asked "What will dictate prices for 2021" The reply was simple "Demand".

IMHO there are other factors that could increase prices :- Insurance the cruise-line pays. Breaks in supply chains - food and employees. Bailout loans from Banks. A demand for (healthier) balconies. A surplus of folk with FCC's burning holes in their pockets.

On the other hand, I'm skeptical about the reduced capacity claims, there's an element of Health & Safety hype about it and if they come up with workable anti-virus, folk will be happy to fly and sail again. However, I think it's a brave person who defers their FCC's too long.

Sorry still do not agree, fully understand the points that you have made but not with the conclusion.

At this time the package is unknown, as is, how regimented the new protocols will be.

Once known, they may well lesson the cruise experience for some guests.

Currently free and easy with all choices possible on board.

But what will the future be?

Demand, is always a driving factor in any business, so the CO was not exactly imparting words of wisdom.

As far as your thoughts, on what factors increase prices, again, this is part of life, nothing new.

I believe that there will be much much, better value to be had by holding onto your FCC.or in fact your cash cruise pot.

Just my opinion

• Like 1

3 hours ago, drsel said:

Kindly post the toll free numbers of P &O

Click on 1 for booked direct because if you click on 2 for booked through TA they tell you to contact your TA then cut you off.

Edited by grapau27

9 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

I am the same, but won't be paying the balance for Arcadia 18th October.  However, I will be stuck as to what to do with the FCC for the deposit, as I have 2 booked for 2021.

Jean, I am in the same position as you but as I understood the announcement you can only convert the deposit to an FCC for departures up to and including 15th October.  Have you managed to convert yours to an FCC ?

I was thinking that I would have to lose my deposit or move it to another later cruise.

2 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

Jean, I am in the same position as you but as I understood the announcement you can only convert the deposit to an FCC for departures up to and including 15th October.  Have you managed to convert yours to an FCC ?

I was thinking that I would have to lose my deposit or move it to another later cruise.

Move your deposit to any cruise in 2021, and then move it to a 2022 cruise when the new brochure comes out.

1 minute ago, wowzz said:

Move your deposit to any cruise in 2021, and then move it to a 2022 cruise when the new brochure comes out.

That is what I am planning to do but I was asking Jean because she said that she was taking FCC for her deposit for an October 18th cruise.

20 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Have P&O confirmed you can do that.

They have said that you can move your deposit as many times as you like, and I'm not aware of any time limitation.

"If you are sailing on or after 16 October 2020 then you can take advantage of our free flexible transfer policy up to 90 days prior to your holiday. This means that if you have a Select Price or Early Saver booking sailing after 16 October 2020, you can:

• Transfer your booking to any P&O Cruises holiday currently on sale (and not just to those within the next 12 months).
  • Transfer your booking to a cruise of higher or lower value (and not just of a higher value, as is usually the case).
  • Transfer your booking an unlimited number of times (and not just once).
  • Transfer your booking free of charge."

Whilst the announcement refers to cruises currently in sale, I seem to recall that P&O have stated that "new" cruises will also be eligible. Perhaps someone can confirm. 

Edited by wowzz

FWIW,regarding 0800 numbers.From overseas on a mobile it is not available or it is chargeable.It works perfectly ok on Skype,I've done it a few times from here with various companies.There are a few here that live overseas ie. Gibraltar.Cheers,Brian.