Hong Kong

Sir PMP

Probably, especially if other cities in China are on them.

One thing seems for sure, Hong Kong as we have known it is gone. Soon, it will be just another Chinese city.

8 minutes ago, Sir PMP said:

What's going to happen to Hong Kong? Will it still be on the itineraries?

Most likely.   Keep in mind that China is also on many itineraries.  If the political situation in HK causes a lot of unrest the cruise lines might decide to bypass that port in favor of other Asian ports.

Hank

• Like 1

Carnival and other lines have built ships specifically for the Chinese market,  even designing restaurants for Far East style menus.   Will these lines pull those ships back ?

2 hours ago, TAD2005 said:

Carnival and other lines have built ships specifically for the Chinese market,  even designing restaurants for Far East style menus.   Will these lines pull those ships back ?

Some have.  NCL built the Norwegian Joy for the Chinese market.  Didn't work.  Both Diamond Princess and Sapphire Princess were built for the Asian market.  Diamond was still serving that market, I believe.  Sapphire?  Not so much; she has had at least one European season at least, I think.  Some small cruise lines specifically formed to try to break into the Chinese market folded.

The problem the cruise lines are having--if I understand the situation correctly--is not the ships that are used in the Chinese market as much as how to market and sell the cruises.  The Chinese vacation business model is totally different than the business model in the Western nations.  All of the cruise lines have had difficulty in determining what works and what does not work.    

2 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Most likely.   Keep in mind that China is also on many itineraries.  If the political situation in HK causes a lot of unrest the cruise lines might decide to bypass that port in favor of other Asian ports.

Hank

Not being able to spend a day or two during a cruise in Hong Kong would be a major disappointment.  It has been such an interesting place for a visitor.  And, a tourist friendly place for visitors as well.  

Surely, if the political issues continue in HK, then, avoiding the port is probably a sensible thing to do.  

I would miss going to Hong Kong, both on cruises and land trips.  If the protests die down in time it might be much more like Shanghai for tourists, so not much different than now.  My friends from HK here in Canada think it is good move as it will bring "law and order" to HK.  Hmm.

4 hours ago, Sir PMP said:

What's going to happen to Hong Kong? Will it still be on the itineraries?

Yes, unless there's a cold war (tit for tat) between USA and China. In which case, Americans could face restrictions entering HK, if HK residents have difficulty entering USA.

The main consequences of the loss of 'special status' (favored trade status) would be to plug the tariff loophole...

https://asia.nikkei.com/Economy/Trade-war/Hong-Kong-s-tariff-loophole-flourishes-in-US-China-trade-war

Plugging this loophole would have little consequence for the average HK resident, since HK produces relatively little to export. Production occurs in the giant special economic zones near HK.

Canada and the EU have no interest in a confrontation between China and USA.

In fact, USA does not need to make this a political agenda. Plugging the loophole would be a simple matter of tightening country-of-origin requirements.

A bigger problem for HK would be if the USA imposed financial sanctions (similiar to Iran) which would cripple the business and financial sectors in HK. This would be a declaration of war on China

However, no one else has any interest in another superpower conflict.

• Like 1

The current changes to the Independence of Hong Kong have nothing to do with visa free entry and the commercial advantages of Hong Kong compared to Mainland China. They are purely political, and tourists nor companies will see any changes, except because the White House has decided on imposing tariffs, which will not be permanent obviously as they are purely a means to achieve a deal.

I am currently in HK, and let me tell you, the local people are NOT amused by the US President’s latest Stable Genius decision, although on a personal level, I do see his reasoning at this time.

1 hour ago, Despegue said:

The current changes to the Independence of Hong Kong have nothing to do with visa free entry and the commercial advantages of Hong Kong compared to Mainland China. They are purely political, and tourists nor companies will see any changes, except because the White House has decided on imposing tariffs, which will not be permanent obviously as they are purely a means to achieve a deal.

I am currently in HK, and let me tell you, the local people are NOT amused by the US President’s latest Stable Genius decision, although on a personal level, I do see his reasoning at this time.

Hong Kong has a pro Chinese government..

• Like 1

15 hours ago, TAD2005 said:

So how do these ships differ?

1 hour ago, ger_77 said:

We're just grateful to have visited last year before the protests, etc., began. 

We last visited in Spring 2017. I fear this beautiful city will never be the same. We as visitors may not notice significant changes, but those who make their home there, life has most certainly changed.

Edited by 2inSETexas
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, SilvertoGold said:

I would miss going to Hong Kong, both on cruises and land trips.  If the protests die down in time it might be much more like Shanghai for tourists, so not much different than now.  My friends from HK here in Canada think it is good move as it will bring "law and order" to HK.  Hmm.

Sounds more like suppression!

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Despegue said:

Are Hong Kong residents "amused" by the Chinese government's efforts to suppress dissent and quash civil liberties? 

• Like 4

23 hours ago, DFD1 said:

Probably, especially if other cities in China are on them.

One thing seems for sure, Hong Kong as we have known it is gone. Soon, it will be just another Chinese city.

Back in 1968 I took my R&R in Hong Kong during my tour of duty in Vietnam. Looking back over the years I thank my lucky stars that I chose wisely picking HK for my R&R. It was British Colony in those days but what a great place to visit with friendly people, beautiful scenery and unbelievable prices on goods and services. It's breaking my heart that the place will probably be as you said just another Chinese city.

Edited by MISTER 67

16 hours ago, Sir PMP said:

That doesn't mean it has a pro Chinese population.  The government in Beijing decides who can be on the ballot in Hong Kong.

26 minutes ago, DaveSJ711 said:

Are Hong Kong residents "amused" by the Chinese government's efforts to suppress dissent and quash civil liberties? 

No, but there are other ways to tackle this than to punish the people themselves even more by subjecting HK to the same embargoes and tariffs as Mainland.

The opposite should be done according to my friends here in HK.

but hey, the Stable Genius has gotten his diversion from domestic disasters so well done.

in any case, tourism is in no way affected by all of this, and HK is one of the World’s most fascinating cities, and truly the gem on Asia’s crown.

12 minutes ago, Despegue said:

No, but there are other ways to tackle this than to punish the people themselves even more by subjecting HK to the same embargoes and tariffs as Mainland.

The opposite should be done according to my friends here in HK.

but hey, the Stable Genius has gotten his diversion from domestic disasters so well done.

in any case, tourism is in no way affected by all of this, and HK is one of the World’s most fascinating cities, and truly the gem on Asia’s crown.

So what "other ways" exist to "tackle" the Chinese government's suppression of Hong Kong?

You say that tourism is in no way affected by the suppression.  I couldn't disagree more.  I visited Hong Kong just last November (my third visit).  The sense of unease during the protests was palpable.  That unease carried over to the retail and tourism industries, which were both hurting badly during my visit.  Please don't sugarcoat this reality.       

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/13/world/asia/hong-kong-protest-economy.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/28/world/asia/china-hong-kong-crackdown.html

he Stable Genius has gotten his diversion from domestic disasters

Well, no, I don't think so.  There are daily attempts to divert our attention from domestic issues.  But, they still keep coming.  Case in point:  the Minneapolis tragedy.

tourism is in no way affected by all of this,

As a potential tourist to Hong Kong, thinking that I might find myself in the midst of some type of protest, I would be reluctant to visit this wonderful city.  

I follow the news from HK as well as I can and I am relatively sure that some of the residents' protests have been in areas of the city where I have visited.  

17 hours ago, Sir PMP said:

I believe in the last election the democracy  backing candidates actually won a majority of the seats, even after a number of potential candidates were not allowed to run.

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/11/24/asia/hong-kong-district-council-elections-intl/index.html

Landslide victory for Hong Kong pro-democracy parties in de facto protest referendum

20 hours ago, HappyInVan said:

Yes, unless there's a cold war (tit for tat) between USA and China. In which case, Americans could face restrictions entering HK, if HK residents have difficulty entering USA.

The main consequences of the loss of 'special status' (favored trade status) would be to plug the tariff loophole...

https://asia.nikkei.com/Economy/Trade-war/Hong-Kong-s-tariff-loophole-flourishes-in-US-China-trade-war

Plugging this loophole would have little consequence for the average HK resident, since HK produces relatively little to export. Production occurs in the giant special economic zones near HK.

Canada and the EU have no interest in a confrontation between China and USA.

In fact, USA does not need to make this a political agenda. Plugging the loophole would be a simple matter of tightening country-of-origin requirements.

A bigger problem for HK would be if the USA imposed financial sanctions (similiar to Iran) which would cripple the business and financial sectors in HK. This would be a declaration of war on China

However, no one else has any interest in another superpower conflict.

Taiwan might.

So might several countries dealing with Chinese claims around the south China sea.

India might as well with the increasing issues along it border with China.

4 hours ago, T8NCruise said:

Sounds more like suppression!

Agree!  I was shocked but they see things differently, in that if you just behave yourself, don't do anything wrong, you are fine.  They are of the opinion that this new law will only affect the criminals.   They see dissent as bad and this will fix that.  Well, we'll see. 

Edited by SilvertoGold

2 hours ago, USN59-79 said:

That doesn't mean it has a pro Chinese population.  The government in Beijing decides who can be on the ballot in Hong Kong.

Indeed not. In the only free local district election last year, the pro democracy/anti China alliance won 90% of the seats. The election result speaks for itself.