Well looks like we are looking at oct.

bikerunner

3 hours ago, Fouremco said:

@PTC DAWG preparing to board:

image.thumb.png.042afe1c122c7f8ecbf760646b4606fc.png

LOL, not me...eyes wide open..I still think it’s a no go...sadly, more worried about the “cure”;than the actually virus.  Tearing apart the travel industry sadly..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Argo. said:

Forget about it.

First Celebrity sailing probably Apex in September... perhaps the TA to Florida

and Edge to keep the most modern ships in circulation

Silhouette in November... that's it....

unless Australia opens for Solstice

Some crew still have not been able to get home... imagine getting them back for a maybe cruise.

Yes ... the Apex TA in October. We're looking forward to it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PTC DAWG said:

LOL, not me...eyes wide open..I still think it’s a no go...sadly, more worried about the “cure”;than the actually virus.  Tearing apart the travel industry sadly..

Yes, it's so sad to see the impact on all aspects of life as we know it, including travel. Hopefully the optimism you've shown over the last few months will prove to be well founded.

13 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Yes, it's so sad to see the impact on all aspects of life as we know it, including travel. Hopefully the optimism you've shown over the last few months will prove to be well founded.

My family has been directly infected by the shut down..trying to stay positive...

Edited by PTC DAWG

We cancelled our America's cruise on the Reflection in November.  Just didn't seem like everything would be in order by then.  We are hoping this is all straightened out by our Reflection Baltic cruise in August 2021.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kwokpot said:

There is absolutely no way the Apex will sail the TA with paying passengers.

Well, for those of us booked on it we are hopeful it will. No reason right now to think it won’t being 4 months away and knowing they need it in the Caribbean for the winter. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, WNcruiser said:

Well, for those of us booked on it we are hopeful it will. No reason right now to think it won’t being 4 months away and knowing they need it in the Caribbean for the winter. 

How do you propose getting there?

We cancelled our America's cruise on the Reflection in November.  Just didn't seem like everything would be in order by then.  We are hoping this is all straightened out by our Reflection Baltic cruise in August 2021.

Will cancel our Dec 4 Caribbean out of Ft. Laud. First time in the Caribbean for us so want the best experience poss

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, WNcruiser said:

I think the other thing to factor in for any TA in the near future is if the lines are willing to risk having passengers on board being that far away from land for so many days? I'm not sure they would take the risk especially if they have not been able to operate shorter sailings successfully first. At best it would be a liability and at worst it becomes yet another PR nightmare for the cruise industry.

Edited by prim8keeper
  • Like 2

I have no idea when cruises will restart. Like most, I hope sooner rather than later.  There's a lot if wishful thinking but to put some time line out there a series of events have to take place first

1 CDC and other country health agencies have to define the necessary health protocols which may all be different

2 ship processes have to be modified to meet those protocols

3 cruise lines have to modify itineraries to avoid closed ports and get their ships to the cruise start point 

4 they have to get crews back from Indonesia, India, Philippines etc into the countries where the cruise will start in sufficient time for them to meet any isolation conditions 

To my knowledge, talks with CDC , for example, have not even started and countries where many of the crews come from are showing the highest rates of Covid cases right now

Maybe we'll see cruises in some modified form by Oct but I'd say that's low probability. Logistically, the TA's may be the best bet. Eg a tightly controlled boarding at a single port in Italy or Spain, possibly stop at one or two more in Europe, extend Atlantic transit to say 9 days, private island  in the Bahamas then - the difficult bit- being able to disembark in the US

Crossings are going to be the most problematic if the CDC codifies the provisions of the No Sail Order and extends it.

Basically, any ship must have a mini-hospital onboard (including ventilators, e,g.) and have an evacuation plan that does not rely on US forces (CG, Navy).  Specifically:

If medical evacuation is necessary arrangements for evacuation must be made with commercial resources (e.g., ship tender, chartered standby vessel, chartered airlift) and arrangements made with a designated medical facility that has agreed to accept such evacuees. All medical evacuation plans must be coordinated with the U.S. Coast Guard;

Difficult to accomplish that on a crossing with 6 or 7 consecutive sea days.

For anyone hoping to sail in September or October with Aruba as one of their stops plan on that stop being cancelled. Waiting to see how things play out,  but with Aruba beginning to open next month they are requiring a Covid test within 72 hours of going there as well as insurance that covers it. Unless cruise lines can give everyone on board a test before porting it will be unlikely Aruba will be a stop. I can see these restrictions on many of the Caribbean islands.

Europe is planning to lift some travel restrictions in July but only for those living in countries with low infection levels.  So, that takes the US out of the running initially.  This week's stories are showing big spikes in infections in places like Texas and Florida where the states opened widely around Memorial Day.  We should start seeing increases related to the protests of the last couple weeks within the next week or so.  So until that subsides, forget about getting to the TA ports.  The resurgence of cases in China also doesn't give one much confidence in how this will progress.

1 hour ago, pumpkin 11 said:

OKAY mr. fortune teller

Obviously I am speculating and don't have any inside information. But I was a Business Analyst at one point in my professional career and putting on that hat and looking at all the information about cruises starting up does not point to a TA as one of the first cruises that would start up. If cruises started up now and there was a history of successful cruises with whatever mitigation strategies they will have then I could see a longer cruise such as a TA occur in October. But the way things are going it's more than likely the first cruises won't startup until October 1st at the earliest.  That doesn't give enough time to test out whether everything they will implement will be successful for The Apex TA which is October 22nd. 

I'm scheduled for November 15th on The Apex. I have left my reservation as is and will wait and see. 

Edited by kwokpot
  • Like 1

For those of you optimists who expect to cruise in October:

What do you forsee as being different between now and October that will allow cruises to go forth?

You think the CDC will just give up and throw up their hands and be like, you know what, y'all can get sick, we DGAF anymore, go do whatever you want.

You think there will be a second lockdown that will be even more strict and longer than the first to get cases to a trackable level?  I don't see that happening in the current political climate

You think that there will be such an explosion of cases that 85+% of the country will get infected by October and we will have herd immunity?

Don't think anyone even dreams that any of the vaccines will be released in October

Nothing gamechanging on the treatment side, maybe slight improvements here or there.