Carnival just sold 6 ships is Holland next??

20 hours ago, Lido deck main said:

Hi Drsel,

Of course it is all subjective.  We sail both lines, but mainly HAL.  For us, the staff are better, meaning the MDR, Lido and stateroom attendants are much more attentive on HAL lines, they all know your name by end of day one.  The shows itself I would say are the same.  The entertainment from the Crew Staff i.e. trivia, games, etc there is more on Princess, Princess usually has way more staff than HAL, Princess can have 5 staff in entertainment department, and we are lucky to get two entertainment staff on a HAL ship.  We usually sail longer voyages on HAL 28 plus days.  The itinerary's are better in my opinion on HAL.  Princess has the International Cafe and the Piazza which are both great, many times nice music in the piazza, great place to sit for coffee.  I am going to get flamed for this from some people, but I think the fellow cruisers on HAL are nicer than Princess.  Of course just my opinion again.  We have a great time on any cruise, but I do prefer the HAL product.  

Agree. Our second worst cruise was on Princess. It wasn't bad, but the level of service wasn't there. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, drsel said:

He already told you that they died of boredom on the HAL world Cruiseemoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.png

Nothing better than a boring cruise , a small band in the Ocean bar, relaxing with a cup coffee in the explorer's lounge, hanging around the aft pool or lounging on the lower prom deck, a nice boring dinner, a little bit of nightlife in the crow's nest, oh so boring, I can leave tomorrow...

• Like 4

2 hours ago, drsel said:

He already told you that they died of boredom on the HAL world Cruiseemoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.png

As long as he did not die of Covid 19, it does not count.

Can boredom be classified as a communicable disease? I do not think so.

3 hours ago, drsel said:

I believe them, but for some reason MY mind can't go there 😄 Boredom on a World Cruise? It says "can not compute, can not compute" LOL.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, cruzeluver said:

Nowhere in the article does it state that those specific ships are being sold. It lists them because the writer of the article wanted to identify the oldest class of Carnival ships as selling them would be the most obvious choice.

14 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

In the two articles I've read, the six ships are not specified. In one of them in particular, Donald says this class of ships (cited by you above) continues to be popular and book well. 

Did you find something else out there about this?

From 6/18 Cruise Critic news article: Of importance to note is that this announcement was made by Carnival Corporation, not Carnival Cruise Lines. Carnival Corporation includes 9 different passenger cruise lines, including AIDA, Carnival Cruise Lines, Costa Cruises, Cunard Line, Holland America Line, P&O Cruises, P&O Australia, Princess Cruises, and Seabourn.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5400/

Edited by cruises42

10 minutes ago, cruises42 said:

From 6/18 Cruise Critic news article: Of importance to note is that this announcement was made by Carnival Corporation, not Carnival Cruise Lines. Carnival Corporation includes 9 different passenger cruise lines, including AIDA, Carnival Cruise Lines, Costa Cruises, Cunard Line, Holland America Line, P&O Cruises, P&O Australia, Princess Cruises, and Seabourn.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5400/

Lots of lines with smaller ships.  Princess has one that I think is targeted sadly.

Who knows who pays the price but there is nothing saying they will all be HAL ships, I don’t think?

I’ll wait to see the announcements and then we shall see what we see.

5 minutes ago, kazu said:

Lots of lines with smaller ships.  Princess has one that I think is targeted sadly.

Who knows who pays the price but there is nothing saying they will all be HAL ships, I don’t think?

I’ll wait to see the announcements and then we shall see what we see.

The OP made it seem like it was all Carnival ships. I was just trying to show that it could be from any of the 9 Carnival Corp lines (not just Carnival). I'm sure it won't be all 6 from one line.

1 minute ago, cruises42 said:

The OP made it seem like it was all Carnival ships. I was just trying to show that it could be from any of the 9 Carnival Corp lines (not just Carnival). I'm sure it won't be all 6 from one line.

Totally agree - it will be spread out, hopefully.  Who knows.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sir PMP said:

Nothing better than a boring cruise , a small band in the Ocean bar, relaxing with a cup coffee in the explorer's lounge, hanging around the aft pool or lounging on the lower prom deck, a nice boring dinner, a little bit of nightlife in the crow's nest, oh so boring, I can leave tomorrow...

You forgot to add that every dam ship is dead by 2100 hrs due to an overabundance of prune juice consumption by its ancient pax  😎

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

We are 4* on HAL and Elite on Princess and both are our go to lines. It amazes me that people don't seem to appreciate the differences between the two. Both are wonderful, providing great but different experiences, isn't it ok to love 2 different flavors of ice cream without looking down your nose at one? Princess way out does HAL is some ways and HAL way out does Princess in others. Just enjoy and appreciate the differences instead of arguing about which is better, these times call for more open-mindedness not less.

• Like 6

We are 4* on HAL and Elite on Princess and both are our go to lines. It amazes me that people don't seem to appreciate the differences between the two. Both are wonderful, providing great but different experiences, isn't it ok to love 2 different flavors of ice cream without looking down your nose at one? Princess way out does HAL is some ways and HAL way out does Princess in others. Just enjoy and appreciate the differences instead of arguing about which is better, these times call for more open-mindedness not less.
That's interesting dear.
Since you are so experienced with both Cruise lines, kindly tell us in which departments does Princess outdo HAL and vice versa.
  • Like 1

Princess has such wonderful special dinner opportunities, the wine makers dinner, a reservation only, 4 course filet mignon dinner with course accompanied wines included, the Chef's dinner, again a by reservation only dinner, including appetizers and champagne in the galley with the Chef and maitre d, followed by a food extravaganza in a private room with each course introduced and explained by the chef, with appropriate wine served. In the Piazza, the world orchestra, a program of the ship's musicians and the lead singer s and dancers from the production/ stage side. Live music can be found in various venues every night. The international cafe, again in the Piazza, has a far more robust selection of pastries in the morning, soup and salads in the mid day, and desserts from mid day onwards. On some ships, Princess has Alfredo's, again in the Piazza, featuring freshly made pizza and a few other Italian dishes. All of the activities in the Piazza make for a center of activity, great for coffees and teas, and people watching. More live music, more entertainment staff. HAL service, from cabin staff, to MDR staff to bartending staff are just unbeatable. Generally, HAL itineraries are more to our liking, although our 49 day fll to la around south America on Princess was anazing. In my opinion, HAL is more personal in their approach to customer service. The Pinnacle Grill can be wonderful, as all onboard restaurants can be a little hit or miss, but mostly hits. The Sel de Mer pop up night is beyond belief, great food, great service, great wine. Both lines go out if their way to accommodate food preferences and the variety and quality is quite good we have going. HAL has improved the evening and night time activities recently, but we believe Princess still holds an advantage here. The BB King blues club is way fun and is doing a great job in adding energy and fun to the HAL night time line up. 

These are just a few observations that apply to us, others will have a very different and varied opinion depending on their likes and dislikes and what is important to them. For us atmosphere, food and general ambiance is what we look for and to us, both HAL and Princess fit that but in very different ways. I like both ice cream flavors and don't see any reason to dissparage one or the other. I guess you could say we are cheerleaders for both brands.

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Gail & Marty sailing away said:

Echoshipmate

I agree with you.  But Today we cheer for only  Holland America for one reason CREW . Captain down. Holland might not have the best ---- But the crew is hands down the best.

Maybe because of the hiring and training system in place.

Absolutely, positively!!  I made get flamed here, but I am a "golden senior with orthopedic challenges" who mostly sails solo, and for me, there is not another line on which I feel so comfortable as I do on HAL even given the fact I have Elite status on Princess.

Nothing beats walking into the MDR on the first night of a 30-day cruise, and when approaching the table, having a steward came rushing up explaining, "Miss DeeDee, do you remember me?  I was your steward on the Prinsendam in the fall of 2015, I'm Dede."  With that, he gave me a big hug!  Yes, I was aboard the Prinsendam for eight weeks back then, and as I stepped back, I did remember him and also remembered that his first child was born during that time.  Some of you here may consider his familiarity uncomfortable, but I was bowled over.  

I am on HAL because of the crew, and what I've related is not the first time such a thing has happened to me.  I also appreciate the itineraries offered by HAL, and lastly, I don't have to pay a 100% single supplement on Princess.

My aunt treated me to a five-week cruise on Seabourn, and from that experience, I'll choose the HAL crew anytime!

Be well, stay healthy, be safe, and I hope to see some of you on HAL ships in 2021.

• Like 7

On 6/18/2020 at 12:41 PM, drsel said:

What's the difference please, between Princess and Holland America?
I have read everywhere that Princess has better shows, activities and entertainment

Differences:

1. Ship design.  Princess ships are built out with little outdoor deck space. Most of the public area sq footage is indoors, like a large hotel. HAL ships have more outdoor public space, and less clutter in those areas (pool areas, wrap around Promenade Deck, etc.)  The outdoor sight lines allow views of the horizon.    

2. Passengers.

3. Shipboard atmosphere. Some say HAL is "calmer" (not older, just calmer). A traditional feel. 

Less bling and bright lights than Princess.

Which one is better ? Whichever one is better for YOU. 

• Like 4

23 hours ago, drsel said:

Thanks echo ship mate.
As far as I am concerned, entertainment, shows and activities are the most important to me, so I would go with Princess.

LOL....  Conversely, my wife and I could not care LESS about entertainment and shows.  It is a rare evening that we  make it to the show lounge.  Now where "activities" are concerned (Talking here about "enrichment" type activities, not the Hairiest man contest or limbo competitions)   HAL trumps Princess hands down. (IMHO)    

But it is the varied itineraries and more unusual ports that get us every time.   And while not exclusive to HAL (Our last cruise was a 21 day Mideast on NCL... GREAT cruise, marred only by Covid concerns that grew daily) HAL does seem to do it better than their other mass market brethren. 

Oh yeah, demographically we are "just" on the cusp of being "retired"  but not quite there yet.  

• Like 2

Oh this is sad!!   Ruth, we were just on the Zaandam and are booked for the Voyage of the Viking in 2021 but as I look at the pictures I do not see the picture of the beautiful clock in the atrium.  I do not recognize that picture they show.   Could this be the Volendam instead?  I am hoping so as we loved going to watch the clock every noon.  

Maybe someone that has been on the Volendam could give us their opinions and if I knew how to link a picture I would do so.  Such a beautiful and unusual atrium on the Zaandam.

• Like 1

On 6/18/2020 at 5:34 PM, Gail & Marty sailing away said:

You have not been to a ship that has Billboard and Rolling Stone.

Not to mention BB Kings and Lincoln Center.

Another point, we have sailed on both lines over 20 times each and have found that HAL ships are cleaner and better maintained than Princess ships.

Princess does a better job with perks based on your status. 

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, RuthC said:

The one pictured in the link is either the Zaandam or the Volendam, based on the funnel. 

I think it is the Volendam, I noticed  the atrium photos.

P1040607.thumb.jpeg.b3ecdf0706ceb8898c14f4efc0d232bc.jpeg

The Zaandam has that huge organ.

2071537430_IMG_03851.thumb.jpeg.7f95e8d57aeb8a07ffc7b0a7e11ee6fa.jpeg