Probably too late, but....why not capitalize?

YO....

Corona has dealt us a blow for cruising for 2020, missing both our Carribbean cruise AND our European cruise.  But curious...why haven't the cruise lines tried to capitalize a little bit?  Why not have a rotating docking schedule and open some of the restaurants.  Make tours of the ships at different ports (probably limited due to COVID) and make a little $.  (Something is better than nothing).  Just a thought.  A lot of people live near ports (Texas, NJ, FL, etc)....I know I'd drive down for a good meal and see a new ship.  Just a thought.  Might be too late now as we're hopefully 1-2 months away from opening it back up but....

My 2 cents.

YO

50 minutes ago, Yoitsbbg said:

YO....

Corona has dealt us a blow for cruising for 2020, missing both our Carribbean cruise AND our European cruise.  But curious...why haven't the cruise lines tried to capitalize a little bit?  Why not have a rotating docking schedule and open some of the restaurants.  Make tours of the ships at different ports (probably limited due to COVID) and make a little $.  (Something is better than nothing).  Just a thought.  A lot of people live near ports (Texas, NJ, FL, etc)....I know I'd drive down for a good meal and see a new ship.  Just a thought.  Might be too late now as we're hopefully 1-2 months away from opening it back up but....

My 2 cents.

YO

WOW! Fantastic suggestion. That would really be an experience for someone who never cruised or been on a ship. 

Biggest question would be if CDC or any health agency would allow it.

Been on Queen Mary in Long Beach, CA years ago and it was an experience. 

Let's see what happens on here. 

Stay Safe!

The CDC no-sail order prohibits anyone getting on or off the ships.

I will also add that the cost of berthing the ships (port fees) is prohibitively expensive.

Edited by Pratique
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Yoitsbbg said:

YO....

My 2 cents.

YO

Where would you suggest they dock?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

Where would you suggest they dock?

Id say the Dock of the Bay, but some guy is sitting there. On a more serious note, ship docks aren’t usually in convenient places to get to.  And even if allowed, it going to cost a lot of money for port fees, security, cleaning, etc. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Just wait. Wait till NY opens back up. 

Oh it's coming.  I'm already hoarding paper products for the second phase.  I'm still trying to figure out if this is phase one or two for Florida because it only seems to be bad now.  Did California even acknowledge phase 1? It seems never ending there.

• Like 1

Well, Taiwan is selling fake flights so people don’t go through what could be deemed withdrawal from not flying, so why not have people board a ship so they don’t go through withdrawal from not cruising?

https://metro.co.uk/2020/07/03/people-miss-flying-much-taiwan-offering-fake-flights-staged-check-ins-12939665/

Where in anyplace you live can you go to a restaurant and order a meal with ap, salad or soup, main and dessert for $50 that includes tip??  

Princess $25

RCI 7 nite unlimited $175

Celebrity 7 nite $217

These are just a few examples. 

Yes,  I realize some people tip extra. 

27 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Oh it's coming.  I'm already hoarding paper products for the second phase.  I'm still trying to figure out if this is phase one or two for Florida because it only seems to be bad now.  Did California even acknowledge phase 1? It seems never ending there.

It doesn’t seem to matter. COVID19 is out there. No cure yet. Treatment getting better. The virus doesn’t care what State your in. People come out, it’s going to infect. 

It’s unfortunate, can’t keep everything shut down, especially after the end of this month, when the Federal CARE money goes away. 

M8

• Like 1

As other's said, ships can't Dock and allow people on/off Ships. No money to be made and Cruise Lines dont want us to expose the Crew, for good reason. CDC wouldn't allow it and sure Gov't, State and Fed wouldnt allow the Tender's. Oh they might let you leave, but you won't be allowed back in the Country...Not going happen

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Oxo said:

WOW! Fantastic suggestion. That would really be an experience for someone who never cruised or been on a ship. 

Biggest question would be if CDC or any health agency would allow it.

Been on Queen Mary in Long Beach, CA years ago and it was an experience. 

Let's see what happens on here. 

Stay Safe!

My wife and I were on the Queen Mary in Long Beach for a tour many years ago.I cannot recall the cost.I believe beverages were included.

Just now, lenquixote66 said:

My wife and I were on the Queen Mary in Long Beach for a tour many years ago.I cannot recall the cost.I believe beverages were included.

Wasn't that fantastic? That was an experience before we ever thought of CRUISING.  Love Boat on TV was the closest cruise we did back then. We were very fortunate to meet Jack Jones,  his Dad and wife on a Princess cruise years ago backstage.

Stay Safe! 

YO...

Thanks for all the great responses.  It was a THOUGHT, guys.  Don't get too amped up over it.  I just thought it would be a cool way for a cruise ship to make a little $$ and people to see some of the newer ships if they lived close to a port.  Keep the numbers low.  What the hell is the difference if I take a 20 min tender social distancing out to a ship for dinner vs going over to a resort or sit down restaurant?!?!  We're not sailing anywhere!!

As for COVID...coming from someone on the front lines in a hot zone right now....WASH YOUR HANDS, WEAR YOUR MASK, DON'T TOUCH YOUR FACE, & SOCIAL DISTANCE!!  That's what ya gotta do.  Lets not turn this thread into a COVID Thread please.  

Anyway...just an idea for the cruise lines out there (if you're listening).  Probably cost prohibitive, but...hey...something is better than nothing cash wise.  They gotta be hurting!!  

YO