Bahamas closing its Doors

What I want to know is if this safe for transplant patients who are on immunosupressant drugs.  Having an immune system rear up can cause RA for some and possible organ rejections for others.
Oh geeze I never even thought of that nor am I smart enough to know the answer but I hope so. Let's see as more info, more tests, more trials go on.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

My wife is on her second kidney transplant and all is really good but she got the jackpot on getting a deceased donor match.  Because of the waiting time we have been told they don't list people over 70.  So we don't want to screw this one up.

• Like 1

My wife is on her second kidney transplant and all is really good but she got the jackpot on getting a deceased donor match.  Because of the waiting time we have been told they don't list people over 70.  So we don't want to screw this one up.
I understand, I hope all works out for you.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Dennis#1 said:

If you have the room, get rid of the bathtub and install one of those double walk-in jacuzzi like units.  We did this a few years back in our Virginia residence.

Cute...and a great idea...but we since we live in Florida, you and I have a free sauna anytime we walk outside right now. 😄 

We don't have a bathtub...have the now larger shower getting all tiled and set up for possible ADA needs and fixtures.  Which I hope won't be needed for a long awhile...but preparing for future needs.  

We sold the big house on the water, with the boats, docks, pool, jacuzzi, tropical landscaping, equaling way too much to take care of when we traveled.  

Edited by island lady
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, JAMESCC said:

Here is the story the Oxford University vaccine. Sounds really promising.

Oxford coronavirus vaccine induces strong immune response, early trial results suggest

NBC News
ERIKA EDWARDS, SARA G. MILLER, PATRICK SMITH AND KEIR SIMMONS
Jul 20th 2020 12:09PM

A coronavirus vaccine being developed by the University of Oxford and AstraZeneca is safe and shows signs of inducing an immune response, according to early clinical trial results published Monday in the medical journal The Lancet.

The trial did not look at whether the vaccine prevents coronavirus infection, however. That's a question that will be answered in trials that are currently ongoing.

The trial results found that it generated two "strong" immune responses: the production of both antibodies and T cells, which find and attack virus cells.

"We’re getting both sides of the immune system stimulated and that is fairly unusual for vaccines," Adrian Hill, director of the Jenner Institute at Oxford University, told NBC News.

The T cell response was noted within 14 days of receiving the vaccine. This immune response was detected for at least 56 days after getting the shot, though it's unclear how long it will last.

Wonder why AstraZeneca stock is down today when the market is flat to a bit higher at the moment.

• Like 1

Cute...and a great idea...but we since we live in Florida, you and I have a free sauna anytime we walk outside right now. [emoji1] 

We don't have a bathtub...have the now larger shower getting all tiled and set up for possible ADA needs and fixtures.  Which I hope won't be needed for a long awhile...but preparing for future needs.  

We sold the big house on the water, with the boats, docks, pool, jacuzzi, tropical landscaping, equaling way too much to take care of when we traveled.  

And that's why I'd like to move to Florida, lucky you. I want to walk outside of my house on Christmas day and it's 75 degrees. [emoji1787] I hate winter in NJ more and more every year and winter isn't nearly as bad it was when I was a kid.

• Like 1

Wonder why AstraZeneca stock is down today when the market is flat to a bit higher at the moment.
I'm not a stock guy so I have no idea. Seems strange to me on the surface with news they got today.

2 minutes ago, JAMESCC said:

And that's why I'd like to move to Florida, lucky you. I want to walk outside of my house on Christmas day and it's 75 degrees. emoji1787.png I hate winter in NJ more and more every year and winter isn't nearly as bad it was when I was a kid.

Nah..not lucky.  Planned!  😉  Left the cold winters of Michigan in the early 80s.  

Though I am not a fan of our hot and humid summers at all.  Normally we spend the summers in Maine...gosh I love Maine in the summer!!  😍   This year we cancelled our Maine plans to be able to travel to Alaska next month, doing 2 week land tour and B2B Radiance (so much for those cruises 😞 ).   

Still hoping the Bahamians open their doors back up for our Harmony December cruise to dock there.  I wouldn't even care if I got off the ship.  Just want to cruise again.  

• Like 2

Nah..not lucky.  Planned!  [emoji6]  Left the cold winters of Michigan in the early 80s.  

Though I am not a fan of our hot and humid summers at all.  Normally we spend the summers in Maine...gosh I love Maine in the summer!!  [emoji7]   This year we cancelled our Maine plans to be able to travel to Alaska next month, doing 2 week land tour and B2B Radiance (so much for those cruises [emoji20] ).   

Still hoping the Bahamians open their doors back up for our Harmony December cruise to dock there.  I wouldn't even care if I got off the ship.  Just want to cruise again.  
Ah that is a splendid idea. Maine summers and Florida winters! Maine is my favorite state I have visited, I just love it. We have taken 2 cruises to Maine/Canada, 1st was out honeymoon and I could have just unpacked and started forever. The fall is stunningly gorgeous.
Florida winters must be just incredible. As I said I'd love to walk out if the house on Christmas day and it be 70+ degrees.
We are planning to do another 9 day Canada/NE cruise with the rest of our FCC. Not sure we will be able to with the rules Royal Caribbean has on FCC. Just the dates don't mesh the deadline for using FCC.

37 minutes ago, JAMESCC said:

Ah that is a splendid idea. Maine summers and Florida winters! Maine is my favorite state I have visited, I just love it. We have taken 2 cruises to Maine/Canada, 1st was out honeymoon and I could have just unpacked and started forever. The fall is stunningly gorgeous.
Florida winters must be just incredible. As I said I'd love to walk out if the house on Christmas day and it be 70+ degrees.
We are planning to do another 9 day Canada/NE cruise with the rest of our FCC. Not sure we will be able to with the rules Royal Caribbean has on FCC. Just the dates don't mesh the deadline for using FCC.

We're hoping for a "snowbird migration" cruise from Canada down to Florida for 2022! Fingers crossed!🤞

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dennis#1 said:

If you have the room, get rid of the bathtub and install one of those double walk-in jacuzzi like units.  We did this a few years back in our Virginia residence.

That sounds delightful!

2 hours ago, zalusky said:

Wish your wife the very best.

2 hours ago, JAMESCC said:

And that's why I'd like to move to Florida, lucky you. I want to walk outside of my house on Christmas day and it's 75 degrees. emoji1787.png I hate winter in NJ more and more every year and winter isn't nearly as bad it was when I was a kid.

And the best part is we have NO income tax, and my county has very reasonable real estate taxes.  I moved to FL from PA in 1961 and never looked back.  Got tired of the snow and cold.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zalusky said:

Sure hope everything works out well with your wife’s kidney transplant.  The age limit of 70 is most unfair and discriminatory (and differs from state to state).  My cousin is a residence of Florida and at age 72 could not get a heart transplant (because Florida has an age 70 cutoff).  He temporarily moved to Massachusetts which has an age 75 cutoff.  He got his heart transplant in Massachusetts and now almost 3 years later is living a full active life.

1 hour ago, SilkySal said:

We're hoping for a "snowbird migration" cruise from Canada down to Florida for 2022! Fingers crossed!🤞

We'll be considering a "snowbird Migration" cruise in 2022 too!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Dennis#1 said:

Sure hope everything works out well with your wife’s kidney transplant.  The age limit of 70 is most unfair and discriminatory (and differs from state to state).  My cousin is a residence of Florida and at age 72 could not get a heart transplant (because Florida has an age 70 cutoff).  He temporarily moved to Massachusetts which has an age 75 cutoff.  He got his heart transplant in Massachusetts and now almost 3 years later is living a full active life.

Thank you!  She is very lucky.  I donated to her in 2007 and the transplant lasted 11 years.  We were not a perfect match and she is what they call highly sensitized.  Which means she will fight off most donors.  Her second stroke of luck happened in 2014 when they changed the rules and the hard to match people get extra waiting list points and go on a national list not just regional lists where you have to register everywhere.  She was effectively 100% sensitized where she would fight off everybody.  The waiting list points put her at the top of the list.  Then the question was how long before a match would be found.  It was found in just a couple of months and numbers are great.  However at any time she could get an infection or not manage her drugs properly and things can go down hill.  Which is why we need to know the Covid Vaccine will be safe for her.

3 hours ago, livingonthebeach said:

In the last week AZN increased from under 54 to almost 65 probably based on expectation of a favorable announcement. Short term traders are taking their profits now that the announcement has been made. Stock almost always over correct. 

3 minutes ago, TravelerThom said:

In the last week AZN increased from under 54 to almost 65 probably based on expectation of a favorable announcement. Short term traders are taking their profits now that the announcement has been made. Stock almost always over correct. 

Thanks -- makes sense.  

3 hours ago, JAMESCC said:

I have it mixed up. Last 8yrs spent my Cold Winters in Michigan and HOT Summer's in Arizona Deserts... Kid's in Az miss the 4 Season's, 3 of my 4 Grand Daughters never seen snow

We are thinking of moving to Virginia from NJ, Property Taxes are really low there compared to NJ........I'm wondering though are there other taxes people pay in Virginia I'm missing........compared to what I'm paying in NJ...........Anyone from Virginia out there know for sure?

30 minutes ago, soremekun said:

Related but unrelated:

Someone on these forums posted an article that stated Royal Caribbean purchased the island that we call CocoCay.  Does anyone have a link to that article?

I can't find the article, but Royal's annual report says this:

"We also operate two private destinations which we utilize as ports-of-call on certain itineraries: (i) an island we own in the Bahamas which we call CocoCay; and (ii) Labadee, a secluded peninsula we lease on the north coast of Haiti."

• Thanks 1