The Daily for Friday Aug 7, 2020

richwmn

today is National Lighthouse Day and Professional Speakers Day

Man is the only animal that can remain on friendly terms with the
victims he intends to eat until he eats them.
        -- Samuel Butler

Meal suggestion for today - Caprese Salad

Wine of the day - Terra Santa Île de Beauté White vintage 2017

At Sea Atlantic
Rotterdam destination Rotterdam eta 8/10

At Sea Indian
Volendam destination Durban eta 8/18
Westerdam destination Mombasa, Kenya eta 8/12

At Sea Mediterranean
Amsterdam destination Gibraltar eta 8/10

At Sea Pacific
Gulf Bridge (Amsterdam Luggage) destination Panama Canal, eta 8/13
Ship is currently off Cabo San Lucas, Baja California

Balboa Panama
Koningsdam

Cochin
Eurodam
Nieuw Amsterdam

Jakarta Anchorage
Zuiderdam

Limassol
Maasdam

Piraeus Greece
Veendam

Punta Arenas
Oosterdam

Scheveningen NL Anchorage
Nieuw Statendam
Zaandam

Singapore Area
Noordam

0807Indian.png

0807Med.png

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for the Daily, Rich.  I always enjoy lighthouses and love a presentation by a great speaker.  I wonder how old the quote is; I think most of us are far from the food we eat these days.

My pipe dream for dinner,  Apple Cider-Brined Pork Chop with Cherry-Raisin Chutney, as served on the Prinsendam August 7, 2011.  My dinner will still be something soft.

Today's care list:

A smooth weaning from pain meds for me.  I have an opiate prescription I hope not to use.  The Doctor advised 3 ibuprofin every 5 hours for the 3 days but I'm going to try 2 this morning.

fatcat's MIL

Sharon's in-laws

Mrs. Vmax

Those in the path of wildfires

The passengers and crew of the Wilderness Adventrure

The people of Beiruit

and Krazy Kruizers

I wonder if we should start a list of celebrations.

Roy

Edited by rafinmd
  • Like 6

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! Morning everyone! There was almost a cool feeling to this morning’s air. There were intense storms all around us last night, but just gentle rain here. 

That quote is why I could never have survived as a rancher or farmer.

Lighthouses are such special structures. Beautiful in and of themselves, and then when you factor in the critical role they play - very special. Cheers to all the professional speakers!

The meal sounds wonderful, though I might need to add something to it, if I have it for supper. The wine sounds interesting and very inexpensive, too. Not sure if the 2017 vintage is still available. I found the 2019 online. Here is Wine Spectator’s description:

Blend: 60% Vermentino, 40% Chardonnay

Critical Acclaim - WS90.  A bright and distinctive white, offering lively lemon zest, honeysuckle, quinine and tangerine notes mixed together, with good zip. Drink now.

Prayers for everyone on the official & unofficial Care List. Roy, hope you had a good night.

Stay well everyone!

• Like 7

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

I love lighthouses too and especially the older ones from ancient times that guided ships centuries ago.  That quote is ever so true.  

Your dinner suggestion sounds wonderful.  I have to confess, I had never heard of tomato pie until you posted it yesterday.  I decided to look it up and then I decided to make it for dinner.  A big hit with DH 🙂. Thank you for the idea.

D6E25933-04B2-4216-BC4D-305BB1546A62.thumb.jpeg.489d0d1e2e66a2dc10e79c744006aaa1.jpeg

The wine sounds wonderful.  Wish we could get it here.

@rafinmd hope the pain eases with just the OTC’s and you don’t need the opioids but if you do, take them.  Just don’t operate any machinery when you do 😉 seriously.

I was so late planting my bulbs because of my foot that my callas had mostly bloomed in the house.  Sheesh!  I planted them just the same to give them a chance to feed their bulbs for next year and received a pleasant surprise:

12CBD38A-5D57-4778-8472-AD1F174BC086.thumb.jpeg.f09a70c0a88f8fc25d60e8241fecfe8c.jpeg

The plant is under the dahlias as I didn’t expect any blooms at all.

Just some flowers to brighten Friday:

43D2ADBE-A081-4ED1-B0BB-B7452DB03BAA.thumb.jpeg.c0d76d320d9df6f51654b998b75ba475.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on our Care list.  So glad Roy started that and maintains it for us.

Stay safe everyone and don’t forget your masks.

• Like 14

Today's sunrise photo is from my 2018 Grand Alaska Panama journey.  My segment from Vancouver included an overnight stop in Portland where I caught this on my walk:

dawn0807.jpg

While reviewing my August 7 blog entry I also noticed a sign that caught my fancy in the hotel lobby:

coffee.jpg

Roy

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

image.jpeg.3e67264ed359d7bda636d33cf86f23b4.jpeg

Good morning Rich. Thank you for the quote today, however true it is.. and I am with @cat shepard on her opinion..

The wine sounds interesting and I am putting it on my list.

Jacqui that tomato pie looks delicious! I am going to try making it too.

Good morning sisters Denise and Ann, hope you had nice evenings. Roy hope you are feeling better each day. Praying for all on our list and our friends and family.

The hummingbirds are bathing in the sprinklers this morning, flying thru the water and then to their feeders. I love those little critters!

Wishing everyone a wonderful day. Stay safe, wear your mask. Blessings!

• Like 10

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  I love lighthouses, because it means I'm by the sea, and we've usually gotten there by cruise ship.   @richwmn  I have to tell you, the tomato pie was a hit - although it looks burnt in the photo, it was just a crispy brown (or I wouldn't have served it).  There were only crumbs of pastry in the pie plate at the end of the evening. It's definitely going in my "make again" book.

image.jpeg.72b5e6ccd9ae9a9a2593dc7101349660.jpeg

Tonight's dinner is going to be a repeat of last night's, as there were lots of leftovers - when DH fires up the barbecue, we always make extra.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them, and even for those who don't think they do.  Be well, stay safe!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 10

Good morning everyone and thanks for the update.  The Rotterdam at it's home port, sadly.  That is where we would have boarded May 2021.  We make Caprese salad often, but with tomatoes from our garden it tastes even better.  A beautiful day here in Southern Ontario, LG!  

• Like 7

Good morning all!

Love the quote and love lighthouses. I always want to visit them wherever we go. 

Roy, I like the idea of a celebration list. Today is my brother’s 33rd birthday. He is a COVID 19 ICU nurse in Tucson so he’s spending his day working. He is an ultra marathoner and ran a 33 miles race for his 33rd birthday. He’s pretty special😊

• Like 12

1 hour ago, ger_77 said:

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  I love lighthouses, because it means I'm by the sea, and we've usually gotten there by cruise ship.   @richwmn  I have to tell you, the tomato pie was a hit - although it looks burnt in the photo, it was just a crispy brown (or I wouldn't have served it).  There were only crumbs of pastry in the pie plate at the end of the evening. It's definitely going in my "make again" book.

image.jpeg.72b5e6ccd9ae9a9a2593dc7101349660.jpeg

Tonight's dinner is going to be a repeat of last night's, as there were lots of leftovers - when DH fires up the barbecue, we always make extra.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them, and even for those who don't think they do.  Be well, stay safe!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Dinner looks delicious!

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Andi Land said:

@kazu your tomato pie looked wonderful too. I’ll have to look up the recipe. 

Thanks.  It was good.  This is the recipe I used in case it is of help - https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/tomato_pie/

Normally I make changes to recipes but for this one (Being new and unknown)  I didn’t do a lot change.  It was quite edible 😄 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Himself said:

The Rotterdam is on the way to Rotterdam.  Soon this ship will no longer be in the HAL Fleet.

I wonder when the actual handover will be, but I think then we should recognize the Rotterdam in Marghara, Italy.

Roy

Good morning! Or, if I don't type fast....good afternoon.  😉

I love looking at lighthouses, because as said above...I'm near the sea. Naturally, I'm most partial to the one at Peggy's Cove NS.

The quote is a good one! I ❤️ the dinner suggestion. I'll add some leftover sausage for DH.

@Andi LandHappy birthday to your brother.

It's another beautiful day here in southwestern Ontario! Thanks for all of the pictures. Be well. Stay safe. Be kind. Blessings to all!

Edited by Dismomx5
  • Like 6

53 minutes ago, Andi Land said:

He is an ultra marathoner and ran a 33 miles race for his 33rd birthday. He’s pretty special😊

You can say that again.  He will get a belated happy birthday tomorrow.

Roy

• Like 4