When Will We Feel Safe to Cruise Again

mcrcruiser

3 hours ago, Keksie said:

We have been dining out every week since restaurants opened in May and have had guests over for lunch.  I wear a mask to shop in the stores that require them.  These things are reality here.

Perhaps you are immortal. Those of us who have physical issues such as cancer asthma etc will continue to distance and where masks until there is a vaccine. We don’t want to end up in the hospital like Chris Christie and others 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, memoak said:

Perhaps you are immortal. Those of us who have physical issues such as cancer asthma etc will continue to distance and where masks until there is a vaccine. We don’t want to end up in the hospital like Chris Christie and others 

Not immortal.  Someday I will pass.  Just saying that it is possible to eat out and shop if you choose to.  It is also possible to not do any of those things if you don't want to.

• Like 4

Back on topic. Would you be comfortable sailing from Florida?

Current positivity rate 5% with no brakes on the disease. Apparently, contact tracing is so poor that only 40% of confirmed cases have an identifiable source. In fact, they seem to have lost track of the infected. No data about how many have been cleared after subsequent testing.

Lots of community spread. Lots of infected people walking around. It's just a matter of time.

Yes, I suppose that I could fly in and go straight to the cruise terminal. But, this is not the way I travel. Prefer to spread a few leisurely days exploring pre-cruise and after.

No, I think that I would rather board in NY or Hawaii. Spend my money there. Sorry.

• Like 1

We’ve decided to cancel our August 2021 cruise and re-book for 2022, same time.  Hopefully, by then we’ll have a vaccine and this virus will be under control.  And the protocol will be loosened up to make it feel more “normal.”

• Like 2

On 10/24/2020 at 1:05 AM, Linsifer said:

We’ve decided to cancel our August 2021 cruise and re-book for 2022, same time.  Hopefully, by then we’ll have a vaccine and this virus will be under control.  And the protocol will be loosened up to make it feel more “normal.”

Smart decision . We did not book our first post covid 19 cruise until Jan 15 ,2022  👍

We had bought CCL stock last week but ,a little birdie told us to sell Friday . stock Market melt down Oct 26th Monday   .Then the other issue of the Federal Judge requiring compliance  before CCL shops can sail in US waters  . Another big blow is the rise in covid 19 cases 

On 10/23/2020 at 10:09 PM, memoak said:

I am much more hopeful for the 2nd half of 2021. Not do much the 1st half 

Me too, so I booked a fly cruise in the Mediterranean for next July.

I have already flown to Spain last August and was impressed with the airline Covid protocols. Also prepared to accept some onboard restrictions and cruise only port excursions.

2 hours ago, Esprit said:

Me too, so I booked a fly cruise in the Mediterranean for next July.

I have already flown to Spain last August and was impressed with the airline Covid protocols. Also prepared to accept some onboard restrictions and cruise only port excursions.

Good luck with the cruise & flight 👍

• Like 1

Question : When will  I feel safe to cruise  ???

Answer When the ship it waiting for me at port and i have booked and payed for it...                                                                                                                                                                 

If you want a date..... come back later........ or pick one   lets say 5th November 2021...                                                                                                                                                                     Don

Edited by getting older slowly

When cruise lines resume cruising, when the CDC says that it is safe to cruise, and when we actually board a cruise ship are three very different dates.  We do not really care (or trust) what the cruise line industry has to say.

We are in no hurry to cruise.  I mean really, not cruising is not even on the hardship list when it comes to the impact of covid on many people and many families.  I would be somewhat embarrassed to admit that my biggest covid issue was my inability to take a cruise.

• Like 5

The CDC date for cruising is now Oct 31,2020  but there is a Federal judge that has told Carnival Corp that they must certify 30 days before any ships can sail from US Ports that they have cleaned up their dumping  into the ocean  . Seems to us that realistically ,there won't be Carnival corp cruise ships sailing much before Jan or later   .That would be even better once the vaccines start coming & folks get the vaccine shots    .No real rushing ,imo is better for  folks safety sake   going on any cruise ship 

4 hours ago, GottaLuvCruising said:

I just cancelled our May 2021 Alaska booking and made a Caribbean one for Christmas 2021.   We just won't cruise while covid-19 is still an issue.  

I cancelled our June Alaska cruise tour today and transferred the deposit to a 2022 Caribbean.  Rep asked me why I was making the change. Uh -- covid?? 

• Like 2

I haven't posted here in a while, so lots of catching up to do.  I have a March 2021 caribbean cruise booked, are folks expecting those to be cancelled or should I just plan to cancel myself at this point?  Seems like we won't have this under control for at least a few more months.  Advice?

Because a big winter wave looks inevitable, I think a vaccine will be necessary before cruises can restart.  Ironically, the initial rollout of a vaccine could delay a restart by creating a reason to wait "just a few more months."  If scarce vaccine supplies are  only available to a few, that will not feel like the right time.  There will be a sense to wait until the vaccine is widely available.  I have heard people estimate that could happen in a broad range from like Feb to June, but I have no idea.  

From what I read ,there is supposed to be two vaccines out before the  end of the year ; however ,distribution   will be done by the army to get it out fast & to the first line responders & then the very high risk & from there down the line . We also hear that 100 million doses on the first go round  . Should people be receptive to the vaccines coming & at least 70% get it ,cruising should be in full bloom by the 3rd qtr of 2021  ,This still may mean wearing protective masks  .The cruise lines will mandate the safety protocols  in accordance with the CDC  regulations at that time 

Edited by mcrcruiser

6 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

From what I read ,there is supposed to be two vaccines out before the  end of the year ; however ,distribution   will be done by the army to get it out fast & to the first line responders & then the very high risk & from there down the line .

The distribution by the army is to state designated warehouses.

It is up to each state to have a plan for getting it from the warehouses into people's arms.

7 hours ago, junglejane said:

Because a big winter wave looks inevitable, I think a vaccine will be necessary before cruises can restart.  Ironically, the initial rollout of a vaccine could delay a restart by creating a reason to wait "just a few more months."  If scarce vaccine supplies are  only available to a few, that will not feel like the right time.  There will be a sense to wait until the vaccine is widely available.  I have heard people estimate that could happen in a broad range from like Feb to June, but I have no idea.  

I believe you post sums it up for many people.

We're willing to wait until they've developed a vaccine & it a requirement on a cruise line to even board.

We'll also be waiting for many test cruises to have sailed without ANY problems before we'll venture back again.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MissP22 said:

I believe you post sums it up for many people.

We're willing to wait until they've developed a vaccine & it a requirement on a cruise line to even board.

We'll also be waiting for many test cruises to have sailed without ANY problems before we'll venture back again.

Same here because things are definitely getting worse and not better in the US.  

The airlines are practicing very safe protocols for travelers, requiring masks full flight, extensive cleaning of planes and several recent studies have shown how Covid -19 spread is almost non-existent on airplanes yet they are still having a hard time getting flyers to travel with great prices being offered.  

We cannot see how cruise lines are going to succeed where the airlines have failed.  I still think people will be lucky if they are cruising by late 2021 and then of course the question is "where too?"  The world does not appear too eager to have a boat load of possible Covid-19 spreaders show up on their shores.  Love all the wishful thinking though of others.....it is certainly entertaining in these times!!!!!

I expect if things do not improve we will probably be looking at regional or maybe even a national shut down again next year to stop the spread of Covid-19 especially if vaccine trials turn out to be a bust.

Edited by PrincessLuver
  • Thanks 1