Does anyone else feel cheated after having next years cruise cancelled?

arcticfox209

I can’t help but feel cheated by Royal Caribbean concerning their cancellations next summer.

i have never cruised before and my partner convinced me to try it out. We booked a 12 night Western Mediterranean cruise at the end of last year for this September along with various packages and excursions, air fare, hotels etc. Obviously and understandably this was cancelled due to Covid but they gave us the Lift and Shift option so we did that for an almost identical cruise next August. We felt quite happy at paying a similar price.

Next years cruise has now been cancelled, no lift and shift option, just an onboard credit that was similar to what we had already. There are no similar cruises next year to the one we were on, the nearest being 7 nights instead of 12 and missing out some places that we wanted to go and replacing them with one’s we’re not that bothered about.

So, Royal Caribbean have cancelled the cruise knowing that if people then rebook a new cruise they will do so at 2021 prices and not at the prices originally paid, therefore no point of having a L&S option for anyone like ourself booking a similar itinerary, a token amount onboard credit is hardly an incentive. Then, have a Cruise Planner sale just before announcing next years changes and taking people’s money off them then cancelling the cruise (you can still purchase packages and excursions for the cancelled cruise....stupid) but I guess it’s all about getting money in the bank.

I wonder how long the refunds will take, I don’t hold out much hope judging by the time it took to refund everything from my original cruise. I (like many others) feel cheated by Royal Caribbean who are cancelling cruises that seem filled up with people originally on cancelled cruises that used the L&S or other options and expecting their loyal customers to then pay more to book new cruise bookings.

I have never cruised before and I’m really not sure I will now.

• Like 1

We are in a similar boat (no pun intended). Did a L&S from Sept 2020 to Sept 2021. That cruise is now cancelled. ‘Cheated’ is probably too strong a term to describe how we feel. I recognise they felt they needed to make changes. I don’t understand why. I can’t see us getting a similar price for 2021 at this stage and I was disappointed that they didn’t recognise that and offer something to compensate. 

We’ll probably spend the money on a land based vacation instead. 

This is very unfortunate what happened to you and unfortunately these times are exceptional. I would strongly recomend you to give cruising a 2nd chance and possibly wait to book your cruise once things calmed down and get back to a more normal, I am sure you will not regret it then 🙂

• Like 1

Rcl made many changes that hit me. Dont expect sympathy here. Galveston was hit hard. Allure changed to Liberty. Next Feb 12 which was the 2nd leg of a b2b totally cancelled and others after that date changed from jewel to liberty. When I complained about feb 12 just being outright cancelled John told me it's all part of the same thing, like who cares. The only people that care are those hit. 

Then adventure a month or so later they said some days no place to dock, if your 5 day cancelled, choose another. 

The choices offered for feb 12 canc were to rebook a week earlier or a week later...and as I said this was booked as the 2nd leg of a b2b. 

I was really hoping for allure as I loved oasis and still hope it will come and I can find reasonable rates. 

I'm sure others have been hit, I only follow Galveston but we have been hit time after time. Did you post any sympathy for us? Just pointing out people dont care here if it's not them. Btw I never got a notice feb 12 was cancelled nor did my ta. I found out here on cc. 

My sympathy especially goes out to travel agents who arent getting paid for all these changes. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

It is disappointing to have your cruise cancelled for next year but the cruise line is dealing with unprecedented times.  The normal movement of ships from one market to another has not happened this year.  They don't know what markets are going to open when and what the restrictions will be when they can start sailing.  Unfortunately, your first cruise fell in the middle of this craziness.

I would take the refund and wait until things have stabilized and the world opens to business.  

• Like 4

Our 12 Night Baltic on Jewel 21 Jun 2021 was cancelled. Thankfully for us (not for RC) Celebrity has a nearly identical itinerary just a week later, so I went for it.  We've been trying do this itinerary for about 3 years, and I had already booked/reserved /planned EVERYTHING!! Still working on getting the excursions changed out, but I only reached out them on Thursday.. Other than that, I'm ready.

I do hope you'll give cruising another chance - we absolutely love it!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, arcticfox209 said:

I can’t help but feel cheated by Royal Caribbean concerning their cancellations next summer.

i have never cruised before and my partner convinced me to try it out. We booked a 12 night Western Mediterranean cruise at the end of last year for this September along with various packages and excursions, air fare, hotels etc. Obviously and understandably this was cancelled due to Covid but they gave us the Lift and Shift option so we did that for an almost identical cruise next August. We felt quite happy at paying a similar price.

Next years cruise has now been cancelled, no lift and shift option, just an onboard credit that was similar to what we had already. There are no similar cruises next year to the one we were on, the nearest being 7 nights instead of 12 and missing out some places that we wanted to go and replacing them with one’s we’re not that bothered about.

So, Royal Caribbean have cancelled the cruise knowing that if people then rebook a new cruise they will do so at 2021 prices and not at the prices originally paid, therefore no point of having a L&S option for anyone like ourself booking a similar itinerary, a token amount onboard credit is hardly an incentive. Then, have a Cruise Planner sale just before announcing next years changes and taking people’s money off them then cancelling the cruise (you can still purchase packages and excursions for the cancelled cruise....stupid) but I guess it’s all about getting money in the bank.

I wonder how long the refunds will take, I don’t hold out much hope judging by the time it took to refund everything from my original cruise. I (like many others) feel cheated by Royal Caribbean who are cancelling cruises that seem filled up with people originally on cancelled cruises that used the L&S or other options and expecting their loyal customers to then pay more to book new cruise bookings.

I wonder how long the refunds will take.

Requested a refund on a Tuesday, had the money back on my credit card three days later.

At this point I would not make any cruise reservations. There is no telling what is going to happen with ships and schedules over the next year or two. No telling what travel restrictions will be in place.

15 minutes ago, HaveWeMetYet said:

At this point I would not make any cruise reservations. There is no telling what is going to happen with ships and schedules over the next year or two. No telling what travel restrictions will be in place.

Exactly how we feel.  Jewel Oct 2021 cancelled after we shifted to it from Oct 2020.  Only bookings now are a B2B2B in January 2022.  We're not sending any money to any cruise line until Final payment for that.  If we do.....

I feel bad for the cruise lines, and really bad for their poor phone rep's.  But we're done planning cruises for now.

Edited by bouhunter
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

... The only people that care are those hit. ...

Did you post any sympathy for us? Just pointing out people dont care here if it's not them. ...

I don’t agree with your statements.  

Just because someone doesn’t post a response doesn’t mean they don’t sympathize with fellow cruisers’ cancelations. Your response infers we are all self-centered.

I feel sorry for all those whose dreams and plans are being canceled.  

Edited by BSocial
Clarify
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

My May 2020 cruise was cancelled...I rebooked for May 2021 but when given the opportunity I did a L/S to April 2022.

So glad I did as I have much more confidence that the 2022 will sail.

I have a 12 night July 30, 2021 British Isles booked with Celebrity and am feeling very confident that will sail.

A good portion of that sailing has been booked up for a seminar for Doctors specializing in infectious disease and immunology.

I think we'll be in good hands but if this group starts to cancel we'll know somethings up.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Billy Baltic said:

We are in a similar boat (no pun intended). Did a L&S from Sept 2020 to Sept 2021. That cruise is now cancelled. ‘Cheated’ is probably too strong a term to describe how we feel. I recognise they felt they needed to make changes. I don’t understand why. I can’t see us getting a similar price for 2021 at this stage and I was disappointed that they didn’t recognise that and offer something to compensate. 

We’ll probably spend the money on a land based vacation instead. 

I don't believe you.  That pun was totally intended.  🤭

Edited by soremekun
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, arcticfox209 said:

Cruising is a lot of fun and I wouldn't deprive yourself of the experience just because of what you mentioned. Remember ultimately you will be the one who suffers should you dig your heels in and refuse to book a cruise.

We are all just a faceless number to all cruise lines. Individually we cannot punish them by staying home when they screw us over as there are millions more willing to step into that cabin.  

If you would like to give the middle finger to Royal just book on NCL or one of the Carnival ships. Royal still won't care but if it makes you feel good...

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, julesbeara said:

I am really surprised we we're offered a lift and shift option, or some sort of compensation or future cruise credit.

I'm not a business expert, but I would think that Royal would want to hang on to as many bookings as possible.  If they cancel a cruise, why can't they just let the customer choose another cruise in the coming year that is a similar itinerary on a similar ship in the same category for the same price? Maybe have a few excluded sailings, that would be reasonable. I mean the customer has shown they want to cruise. If they outright cancel someone, now they have to convince someone else to book the cabin they could have just filled with the cancelled cruiser. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kands6191 said:

I'm not a business expert, but I would think that Royal would want to hang on to as many bookings as possible.  If they cancel a cruise, why can't they just let the customer choose another cruise in the coming year that is a similar itinerary on a similar ship in the same category for the same price? Maybe have a few excluded sailings, that would be reasonable. I mean the customer has shown they want to cruise. If they outright cancel someone, now they have to convince someone else to book the cabin they could have just filled with the cancelled cruiser. 

2022 bookings are not available past April for any ship in the RC fleet.  

10 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Rcl made many changes that hit me. Dont expect sympathy here. Galveston was hit hard. Allure changed to Liberty. Next Feb 12 which was the 2nd leg of a b2b totally cancelled and others after that date changed from jewel to liberty. When I complained about feb 12 just being outright cancelled John told me it's all part of the same thing, like who cares. The only people that care are those hit. 

Then adventure a month or so later they said some days no place to dock, if your 5 day cancelled, choose another. 

The choices offered for feb 12 canc were to rebook a week earlier or a week later...and as I said this was booked as the 2nd leg of a b2b. 

I was really hoping for allure as I loved oasis and still hope it will come and I can find reasonable rates. 

I'm sure others have been hit, I only follow Galveston but we have been hit time after time. Did you post any sympathy for us? Just pointing out people dont care here if it's not them. Btw I never got a notice feb 12 was cancelled nor did my ta. I found out here on cc. 

My sympathy especially goes out to travel agents who arent getting paid for all these changes. 

Why throw me under the bus. I've probably had more cancelled than you from what I can tell.

FWIW, you wouldn't even have a Feb '21 Jewel B2B if the Jewel Dubai season I had booked wasn't cancelled. 😉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Merion_Mom said:

2022 bookings are not available past April for any ship in the RC fleet.  

Oh I understand that. I just meant I thought it would be better if Royal just let them choose a cruise in a longer time frame than the exact same week. Some people have been saying they would like the opportunity to cruise rather than just get cancelled. 

1 hour ago, John&LaLa said:

Why throw me under the bus. I've probably had more cancelled than you from what I can tell.

FWIW, you wouldn't even have a Feb '21 Jewel B2B if the Jewel Dubai season I had booked wasn't cancelled. 😉

Just saying I respect and like you so your comment about that week getting cancelled hurt my feelings. I'm sure it was just a comment thrown off, and meaningless. I still like you and Bella. I was suddenly without my 2nd week after coco cay that lots of us women booked and suddenly no 2nd week. You were like well it's all part of the same thing in Galveston like that made it easier to swallow. We couldn't have predicted liberty would suddenly come in early and knock off our 2nd leg. It was disappointing as almost all out of Galveston are the same old. It's nothing, just remember the comment. Bella is still the cutest dog. I had Lhasa also dogs myself so I'm partial to bella.

I do know we have to keep rolling with the punches thru covid. .. and more to come. My pt to OP was just have to be ready for changes. These arent normal times. 

Sorry @John&LaLa

Forgive me. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Just saying I respect and like you so your comment about that week getting cancelled hurt my feelings. I'm sure it was just a comment thrown off, and meaningless. I still like you and Bella. I was suddenly without my 2nd week after coco cay that lots of us women booked and suddenly no 2nd week. You were like well it's all part of the same thing in Galveston like that made it easier to swallow. We couldn't have predicted liberty would suddenly come in early and knock off our 2nd leg. It was disappointing as almost all out of Galveston are the same old. It's nothing, just remember the comment. Bella is still the cutest dog. I had Lhasa also dogs myself so I'm partial to bella.

I do know we have to keep rolling with the punches thru covid. .. and more to come. My pt to OP was just have to be ready for changes. These arent normal times. 

Sorry @John&LaLa

Forgive me. 

I apologize if I came off as flippant the other day.

Have you stopped by the Bella thread?

Good times.

Edited by John&LaLa

Changing of itineraries, relocating ships, etc. A lot of these decisions are probably being made based on a financials of the cruise ship. For purely made up numbers, say your 12-night cruise only makes 12% profit but a 7-night cruise to different ports on the same ship makes 17% profit. They can also have 3 of these cruises at 17% vs 2 at 12%. It is a numbers game at this point and for the foreseeable future.

In such a downturn to the industry, which sailings are you going to prefer as a business with obligations to debt holders and shareholders? 

6 minutes ago, bigrednole said:

A lot of these decisions are probably being made based on a financials of the cruise ship.

All you say is true BigRed but the biggest factors are, of course, the 'new cruising' costs of additional cleaning/sanitizing/maintenance combined with reduced revenues from limited passenger numbers. On top of that the total number of cabins in the industry is now greatly reduced due to the reduction in cruise ship inventory. This all means less options available to cruisers until things 'get back to normal' ...

• Like 1

We canceled our early 2021 cruises.  We missed our March , June and August 2020 cruises.  We cancelled our January 2021 cruises, and hope to sail March 2021.  The cruise lines didn't announce January will be a problem (yet)   But health and safety come first.

I do not feel cheated, as we are in a deadly world pandemic.  I feel sad .  I do hope that we have a vaccine available and people take it.  I think we need to read what happened in 1918 and feel lucky that we have the technology to hopefully be able to cruise again.

• Like 3

Disappointed yes, cheated no.  

With so many businesses and individuals impacted by the pandemic my disappointment can be found in many areas of life beyond cruising.  Cruise lines are making many changes too but they are not making these changes trying to be malicious or greedy, they are making changes because they have to.  

I suppose it's easier for me given that I've cruised a lot.  A change in ship or itinerary for me may be easier to accept because I've sailed every class of ship and faced changes brought about by hurricanes or other factors that led to itinerary changes.  Throughout those events I've still had great cruises even though it wasn't what I had originally planned.

I can understand the disappointment for a new cruiser that has carefully and meticulously planned every detail only to have the rug seemingly pulled out from beneath them.  My only advice is to find the good.  There is opportunity to find the silver lining within all the chaos of the cruise industry and life in general during these times.   

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

We canceled our early 2021 cruises.  We missed our March , June and August 2020 cruises.  We cancelled our January 2021 cruises, and hope to sail March 2021.  The cruise lines didn't announce January will be a problem (yet)   But health and safety come first.

I do not feel cheated, as we are in a deadly world pandemic.  I feel sad .  I do hope that we have a vaccine available and people take it.  I think we need to read what happened in 1918 and feel lucky that we have the technology to hopefully be able to cruise again.

16 minutes ago, twangster said:

Disappointed yes, cheated no.  

With so many businesses and individuals impacted by the pandemic my disappointment can be found in many areas of life beyond cruising.  Cruise lines are making many changes too but they are not making these changes trying to be malicious or greedy, they are making changes because they have to.  

I suppose it's easier for me given that I've cruised a lot.  A change in ship or itinerary for me may be easier to accept because I've sailed every class of ship and faced changes brought about by hurricanes or other factors that led to itinerary changes.  Throughout those events I've still had great cruises even though it wasn't what I had originally planned.

I can understand the disappointment for a new cruiser that has carefully and meticulously planned every detail only to have the rug seemingly pulled out from beneath them.  My only advice is to find the good.  There is opportunity to find the silver lining within all the chaos of the cruise industry and life in general during these times.   

Agree with both of you. I am very disappointed to lose my cruise next summer. I spent countless hours planning for it. We've never been to Europe, so we were very excited. We got excellent room, good rates. Yes, we were disappointed. 

But, I truly believe that if they could have sailed, they would have. All these changes have to be for the greater good. And, right now, I will take my family being healthy and able to look forward to planning more cruises in the future... it's what really matters.

• Like 3