Would you get on a ship today?

Goodtime Cruizin

23 minutes ago, BigAl94 said:

You have just summed up why I say absolutely not.

We all need to make decisions we are individually comfortable with, so I have no problem with someone who would choose not to cruise today.

If you are saying your decision is because of my activity, I'll add that I'm regularly tested and have always been negative.  When I was in a highly infected region for several meetings I decided to self quarantine for 14 days just as a precaution, even though I had 2 negative tests within that 14 day period.  If I cruised today I am confident I would not be infected as I would also agree to all the requirements the CILA has indicated they would require, including a negative test to board.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, garyl62 said:

We all need to make decisions we are individually comfortable with, so I have no problem with someone who would choose not to cruise today.

If you are saying your decision is because of my activity, I'll add that I'm regularly tested and have always been negative.  When I was in a highly infected region for several meetings I decided to self quarantine for 14 days just as a precaution, even though I had 2 negative tests within that 14 day period.  If I cruised today I am confident I would not be infected as I would also agree to all the requirements the CILA has indicated they would require, including a negative test to board.

Completely agree, I have been tested multiple times, Health care also.   Now I do work at home more or less all the time.  I work at a Lvl 1 trauma hospital and was required to be tested even tho I had very minimal patient contact.  I would sail if it was available and proposed precautions are put in place.   This is overall a personal decision for everyone on there comfort/risk lvl and fear of the virus. 

NO I definitely would not board a cruise ship today or when the first cruises from the US start sailing.  I definitely would wait until a number of cruises have sailed with the new regulations and procedures in place.  And after I read all of the early reviews.  And after I see what takes place on ships with the 100% inevitable situation of positive COVID tests on board with passengers and/or crew.  I am actually less concerned about a sick ship or personally catching COVID.  I am mostly basing my decision on paying a lot of money for a mediocre vacation at best where I have to wear a mask at all times except in my cabin.  And being quarantined on ship or in a hotel after the cruise before I can travel home.  A lot to consider.  So no way for now.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

We have all read & in some cases re-read the suggestions of changes that RCL has sent to the CDC. Knowing what we know today.. and add to it the latest news of another uptick of covid infections across 40+ states and across Europe as well, would you get on a plane & fly to your RCL ship to take a 7 day or longer cruise today if you were allowed to?  

No way. I miss cruising but I’ll wait. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

No I wouldn't. Would you?  The question you ask has no answer and certainly can't be used to change anyone's mind. We all have our own circumstances. Not least our own health situation. So it's meaningless. 

Phil 

No... I wouldn't grt on a ship today. For the record, I'm not trying to change your mind or anyone's mind for that matter. I'm attempting to get a 'feel' from the real cruise enthusiasts on how they're feeling about cruising in today's world. Perhaps it's meaningless to you, but not to me. So just deal with it and move along. 

• Like 1

Not today , I had canceled our end of November cruise months ago , hoping it will be safe for our end of February cruise. Hoping CDC will not allow any ships to sail until it’s safe. Luckily we cruised in mid February this year before everything went nuts.

Edited by George C

15 hours ago, Threedrones said:

No, but not because of Covid. Because nothing would be open. Treatment for the virus has greatly improved. It is still highly contagious, but not a death sentence. H1N1 was far more contagious, but not nearly as deadly. Did people cruise then? Of course. 

The R naught (rate of infection) for H1N1 is similar to COVID so it was NOT more contagious. Though, admittedly, it's difficult to nail down R naught while in the middle of a pandemic. And, of course, the rate of death from COVID is much higher. What's different about the pandemic of 2008-2009 v.s. this one is the lack of social media then spreading rhetoric and misinformation. There were school closures then and repeated pleas to wear masks and practice good hygiene - we just don't remember.

Most definitely yes, and would happily fly to a port for embarkation rather than sail out of dreary Southampton.

We flew to Madrid for a holiday in August and were most impressed with the airline's Covid protocols. We also felt safer in Spain than in the UK as the Spanish do as they are told when it comes to face coverings and socially distancing.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Esprit said:

Most definitely yes, and would happily fly to a port for embarkation rather than sail out of dreary Southampton.

We flew to Madrid for a holiday in August and were most impressed with the airline's Covid protocols. We also felt safer in Spain than in the UK as the Spanish do as they are told when it comes to face coverings and socially distancing.

Well said ... the same here in Greece ... 98% compliance ... of course, if you are caught without a mask anywhere you will be cited for a E150 fine!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, floatn said:

The R naught (rate of infection) for H1N1 is similar to COVID so it was NOT more contagious. Though, admittedly, it's difficult to nail down R naught while in the middle of a pandemic. And, of course, the rate of death from COVID is much higher. What's different about the pandemic of 2008-2009 v.s. this one is the lack of social media then spreading rhetoric and misinformation. There were school closures then and repeated pleas to wear masks and practice good hygiene - we just don't remember.

According to the CDC, H1N1 had a rate of infection 10 times that of Covid19, though Covid 19 had a far greater mortality rate. As for school closures, a limited number of schools closed for days to weeks during that time...nothing to compare to the current closures. You are absolutely correct about the misinformation from social media, but also from the main stream media. This is, unfortunately, what happens when agendas take a back seat to facts.

2 hours ago, garyl62 said:

Absolutely yes! I can take care of myself and understand how to make good choices. I work in a health care environment that includes residential settings.  I've had staff members with offices close to mine who share rest rooms and a break room with me that have been infected, I've traveled to regions with very high positively rates, and regularly travel in the same vehicle with others, yet I'm diligent to understand my surroundings and take care to do things that will prevent infection. 

If you take proper precautions your exposure opportunities are extremely low. I'd love to be sitting on a balcony watching the waves go by for a week right now. 

When I read your comments, it makes me wonder if you are inferring that your staff members have not been taking care of themselves and making good choices.  Otherwise, based on your logic, they would not have caught the virus.  

You are certainly correct that taking appropriate measures can significantly reduce your chances of catching the virus.  But I know people who are very careful and yet caught the virus anyway - it is extremely contagious.  Assuming ships are as careful as they need to be, it is still almost a guarantee that there will be some instances of virus onboard some ships.  Testing is not 100% accurate, and likely won't catch people who picked up the virus on their travels to the ship.  To expect otherwise is naïve in the extreme. 

My biggest concern then is, what happens?  Maybe you have been very, very careful and you are well.  But they might contact trace an exposure to you (perhaps your waiter/bartender).  Are you then quarantined for the rest of the cruise?  Are you disembarked at the next port just because you've been exposed?  Are you allowed to fly home after having been exposed or are you expected to continue a 14 day quarantine?  And what if you do catch the virus despite all your precautions?  It is certainly possible.  Assuming you don't stay locked in your cabin all cruise, you will be around people in the dining rooms without masks while they are eating, and at the bars while they are drinking as two primary examples.  There are too many questions around that situation to list them here.  

• Like 1

Several have provided "live" reports on recent cruises and I thank them for their efforts. How many cases of Covid-19 have they reported on these cruises? The problem might be with ports of call. France and Spain may announce closings soon according to CNBC. 

1 hour ago, Cruise a holic said:

No.  Not at all.  Covid getting worse throughout the world.  The stress would make me very nervous.  We will wait until it is relatively safe- and we get immunization.  Then we will be very careful on a cruise.

Covid deaths appear to have peaked April 30th....Worldwide..sure cases are up, I know perfectly fine feeling people who get tested regularly, for no real reason, they get positives some days, negatives other days...see the great Alabama Coach Nick Saban for proof.  Also keep in mind the CDC in the US has said that only 6% of deaths are Covid only deaths...that means 94% or so had other factors involved.  1 death is too many,  I get it, but we aren't ever going to be at O deaths of a disease like this...we have shots for the Flu, folks still die from it.  Just making a few points, not trying to change your mind.  Govern yourself accordingly of course.  

https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=covid+deaths+worldwide&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

Covid deaths appear to have peaked April 30th....Worldwide..sure cases are up, I know perfectly fine feeling people who get tested regularly, for no real reason, they get positives some days, negatives other days...see the great Alabama Coach Nick Saban for proof.  Also keep in mind the CDC in the US has said that only 6% of deaths are Covid only deaths...that means 94% or so had other factors involved.  1 death is too many,  I get it, but we aren't ever going to be at O deaths of a disease like this...we have shots for the Flu, folks still die from it.  Just making a few points, not trying to change your mind.  Govern yourself accordingly of course.  

https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=covid+deaths+worldwide&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Just watching the news and they are not agreeing with you

1 hour ago, Threedrones said:

According to the CDC, H1N1 had a rate of infection 10 times that of Covid19, though Covid 19 had a far greater mortality rate. As for school closures, a limited number of schools closed for days to weeks during that time...nothing to compare to the current closures. You are absolutely correct about the misinformation from social media, but also from the main stream media. This is, unfortunately, what happens when agendas take a back seat to facts.

would you care to provide a link to those numbers. WHO shows an R0 of between 1.2 to 1.6 for H1N1. a study in the BMC Journal of infectious disease calculated it to be 1.46

The RO estimate for Covid-19 is currently estimated to be between 2 and 2.5.

21 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

and you have been told before, but you still continue to misuse and abuse the 6% figure from the CDC multiple mortality database. Covid kills by causing body systems to fail. if someone has covid and it causes a stroke that kills the person the database shows both, if the person develops pneumonia, it will show both  and so one. The 6 percent figure actually represents incomplete data because it should show what the covid did that resulted in patient death.

The database is used because it should how the disease actually kills people.

It is pure misuse and abuse of the data to imply that covid mortality is less because some people lack complete data and only show covid.

• Like 1

( I think I posted something similar a while ago ).

One question --- How much fun could it be ??

With social distancing , masks on everyone, possible 3 dining shifts, 1000's of people on board and guaranteed  many would be sick , quarantined in our cabin because of that,  mini regulation " enforcers " ( passengers ) , elevators , fewer lounges at the pools, and most important---- Is it " really " worth the risk and the expense when we have all cruised in the past ?? 

4 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

How do you come to that conclusion?  My chances of catching Covid-19 at home are minimal. Actually they are probably zero. If I get on a plane and cruise on a ship my chances are definitely not. 

Phil 

Sadly Phil, I have to disagree with your conclusion of “probably zero”.

Our mutual friend Michael, from Wales, never left his home, yet contracted Covid and passed away.

He would order items he needed and have them delivered to his home including groceries from Tesco. It is believed that that is how he contracted the virus.

Take care. Wash your hands and stay safe. ❤️

52 minutes ago, nocl said:

and you have been told before, but you still continue to misuse and abuse the 6% figure from the CDC multiple mortality database. Covid kills by causing body systems to fail. if someone has covid and it causes a stroke that kills the person the database shows both, if the person develops pneumonia, it will show both  and so one. The 6 percent figure actually represents incomplete data because it should show what the covid did that resulted in patient death.

The database is used because it should how the disease actually kills people.

It is pure misuse and abuse of the data to imply that covid mortality is less because some people lack complete data and only show covid.

My link is clear on when deaths peaked...

1 hour ago, nocl said:

would you care to provide a link to those numbers. WHO shows an R0 of between 1.2 to 1.6 for H1N1. a study in the BMC Journal of infectious disease calculated it to be 1.46

The RO estimate for Covid-19 is currently estimated to be between 2 and 2.5.

CDC.gov.. go to their report on 2009 H1N1 virus.   Then, still on CDC.gov, look at current numbers for covid19.   CDC reported 60.8 million cases of h1n1 from April 12, 2009 to April 12: 2010. Current Covid numbers are 8.7 million. Even adding a few million to make a full year would still show H1N1 being 5 or 6 times greater than Covid.

• Like 1