Would you get on a ship today?

Goodtime Cruizin

We have all read & in some cases re-read the suggestions of changes that RCL has sent to the CDC. Knowing what we know today.. and add to it the latest news of another uptick of covid infections across 40+ states and across Europe as well, would you get on a plane & fly to your RCL ship to take a 7 day or longer cruise today if you were allowed to?  

Nope. This past couple of weeks of surging cases has me questioning the late to mid February 2021 cruises I had booked. Have put out emails to find out what my options are for canceling prior to final payments. I don't see this all changing until we have vaccines and more therapeutics. Unless if we all buckle down and are really careful this isn't going to stop spreading anytime soon. With Thanksgiving, Christmas and covid fatigue I just don't see it.

• Like 3

Not a chance...today or the rest of this year.  Also considering moving a 12/21 cruise.  Next year may be very complicated:  a vaccine may be available mid year, then determination who gets it, then testing for antibodies....etc, etc....some may not trust the vaccine until many have it and they see it doesn't result in another physical problem.

• Like 1

The CDC has upgraded its travel advisories to “defer all cruise travel worldwide. The Level 3 warning was updated on October 21 due to, "widespread ongoing spread of coronavirus disease (COVID-19) has been reported in some countries. Other countries have reported sustained community spread. The CDC noted that it typically doesn't post advisories for forms of transportation (airplanes, trains, or ships), but because of the unprecedented nature of the coronavirus pandemic, and the increased risk of transmission of on cruise ships, the U.S. government is advising travelers to defer all cruise travel.”  We have cancelled our gym memberships, haven’t eaten inside a restaurant since March, and only gather with our neighbors outdoors and socially distanced. Avoiding cruises just seems like another logical precaution at this time. We love cruising, but not under the current veil of COVID.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, 81Zoomie said:

The CDC has upgraded its travel advisories to “defer all cruise travel worldwide. The Level 3 warning was updated on October 21 due to, "widespread ongoing spread of coronavirus disease (COVID-19) has been reported in some countries. Other countries have reported sustained community spread. The CDC noted that it typically doesn't post advisories for forms of transportation (airplanes, trains, or ships), but because of the unprecedented nature of the coronavirus pandemic, and the increased risk of transmission of on cruise ships, the U.S. government is advising travelers to defer all cruise travel.”  We have cancelled our gym memberships, haven’t eaten inside a restaurant since March, and only gather with our neighbors outdoors and socially distanced. Avoiding cruises just seems like another logical precaution at this time. We love cruising, but not under the current veil of COVID.  

This is not really new.  That travel advice is the same that was published in March.  Some minor tweaks have been made to the wording, including adding dates when no sail orders were made, but nothing new of substance.

I could not answer the original question without knowing how Celebrity will be handling situations where people get sick and/or exposed onboard.  We can assume a lot of things like mask wearing, lowered capacity, etc.., but we do not really know the details of the most important things, which are those related to those sickened or exposed to the virus itself.  If I get sick would I just be dumped at the nearest port that would accept me?  How would I get home?  If I were too sick to travel, what kind of care would I be getting and what about my traveling companions?  What if I get exposed onboard - am I going to be quarantined?  Where and how?  And the questions go on and on.  Answer those and I will answer the question.

• Like 3

No, but not because of Covid. Because nothing would be open. Treatment for the virus has greatly improved. It is still highly contagious, but not a death sentence. H1N1 was far more contagious, but not nearly as deadly. Did people cruise then? Of course. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Threedrones said:

No, but not because of Covid. Because nothing would be open. Treatment for the virus has greatly improved. It is still highly contagious, but not a death sentence. H1N1 was far more contagious, but not nearly as deadly. Did people cruise then? Of course. 

Sadly, for all too many it is indeed still a death sentence.  I realize the death rate is lowering, thank goodness.  But every day there are hundreds of people dying across the US.  Just this week a teenager in a town near me died.  A few weeks ago my girlfriend's mother died.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

We have all read & in some cases re-read the suggestions of changes that RCL has sent to the CDC. Knowing what we know today.. and add to it the latest news of another uptick of covid infections across 40+ states and across Europe as well, would you get on a plane & fly to your RCL ship to take a 7 day or longer cruise today if you were allowed to?  

No.  Too many variables still way beyond my control with too many consequences in too many categories hanging in the balance.  So, I'll stay at home and keep saving up what I'm not spending on travel.  Here's hoping for better trends in 2021.

- Joel

1 hour ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

RESOUNDING NO!!!!!!!!

Absolutely yes IF, the cruise was 1 week or less and did not stop anywhere outside the US other than private islands AND all passengers and crew are tested within 96 hours of boarding and at least randomly tested after boarding. Crew members would be isolated after boarding and prior to assuming duties.

I have been at work every day scheduled since this started, potentially exposed every day - I know how to protect myself and how to protect others from me, I'm willing to spend for a suite, and DH and I rarely participate in the higher risk activities.

This is assuming I'm driving to the port which is possible for me and that the overall occupancy of the ship is greatly reduced.

The CDC is completely correct in the statement that cruising is one of the highest risk situations, equivalent to living in a nursing home, BUT, all the data that brings them to that conclusion is based on NO ONE KNOWING THAT COVID EXISTS OR HOW TO PREVENT IT. Data since then would demonstrate that you can adequately protect yourself from infection, even if others are not.

The bigger question for me is would I have a good time (7 days or less, yes; over 7 days, not worth it yet) and would I have to quarantine when I got home.

• Like 4

Not a chance. The cruise lines have not explained how an eventual outbreak will be handled. They’ve done fine on all the fluff about masks, testing, social distancing etc. But when it comes to the most important question IMHO - What happens when someone gets sick onboard, they get a resounding F.  

• Like 1

It would be a no for us. Not worth the risk or the unknown. 

We would consider a resort stay before a cruise just for the amount of space to allow for distancing. However the photos I’ve seen of people at resorts leave the impression that most people have just drank away their COVID concerns. 

No for us..glad we did a lift and Shift for 2022 and cancelled all the others.

Fla gov is  apparently hoping cruising will start soon in his state....Source is a copyrighted WFLA news story that says it can't be shared so I will not post any quotes or links.