Would you get on a ship today?

Goodtime Cruizin

Definitely no at this point. Two factors in play. I'm not convinced anyone has a handle on controlling the pandemic especially on a ship. There needs to be a lot of meaningful progress in that direction. Secondly, while I love to cruise and hope to return to 5-6 cruises/a year someday in the future, I will not cruise just to cruise. Masks, limited pool areas, dining, shows etc. have to be where they were SAFELY before COVID before I'll consider cruising. 

Also, have flown a few times-no fun with mask. Would not fly more than an hour so that rules out Europe (when we can return) and most other places we'd consider sailing from.

2 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Looks like Celebrity won't have any problems getting to a reduced capacity.  I'll be on the ship

In 2022

2 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Looks like Celebrity won't have any problems getting to a reduced capacity.  I'll be on the ship

In 2022, sure you will, happy sailing.

1 hour ago, Lady Arwen said:

NO!  We cancelled our April and May 2021 sailings and booked Silhouette November 2021knowing that it could also be cancelled.  Right now?  Not if you paid me plus a free cruise.

I am thinking if Nov 2021 gets cancelled there will be little left of the cruise lines in their current state. In fact April or May cancellations things will be extremely dire for them. If  you are worried about April or May being cancelled - which I am - I would keep my money in the bank.

I understand some people have FCC they have to use or lose though. 

• Like 1

After two cruises in the midst of the Pandemic and feeling very safe on both- one four nighter one seven nighter-  I got my this years cruise fix. I would not hesitate to go again though. Only tested people on board- no mingling with foreginers on excursions- if they are possible- a right bubble. Of course a 100% saftey net is not possible in these troubled times.

I fear though due to sky rocketing of cases here that cruise line may have to pause again.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cangelmd said:

Absolutely yes IF, the cruise was 1 week or less and did not stop anywhere outside the US other than private islands AND all passengers and crew are tested within 96 hours of boarding and at least randomly tested after boarding. Crew members would be isolated after boarding and prior to assuming duties.

I have been at work every day scheduled since this started, potentially exposed every day - I know how to protect myself and how to protect others from me, I'm willing to spend for a suite, and DH and I rarely participate in the higher risk activities.

This is assuming I'm driving to the port which is possible for me and that the overall occupancy of the ship is greatly reduced.

The CDC is completely correct in the statement that cruising is one of the highest risk situations, equivalent to living in a nursing home, BUT, all the data that brings them to that conclusion is based on NO ONE KNOWING THAT COVID EXISTS OR HOW TO PREVENT IT. Data since then would demonstrate that you can adequately protect yourself from infection, even if others are not.

The bigger question for me is would I have a good time (7 days or less, yes; over 7 days, not worth it yet) and would I have to quarantine when I got home.

I would have to disagree.  the cruise line certainly did not demonstrate the ability to manage covid on crew only ships, even after the passengers left. Even after masks and distancing became standard in many countries. Covid outbreak on crew only ships continued into August and September based on testing required by home countries when crew members disembarked.

If they cannot control outbreak with only crew on board months after the passengers, how can we count on them to be able to do so when crew staffing is ramped up and passengers added.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, nocl said:

as far as the OPs question my answer in no. I would fly cross country, but not board a 7 day cruise.

Funny I'm the other way round. I would cruise today BUT we have to fly to cruise at the moment and that's something I would like to avoid

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

We have all read & in some cases re-read the suggestions of changes that RCL has sent to the CDC. Knowing what we know today.. and add to it the latest news of another uptick of covid infections across 40+ states and across Europe as well, would you get on a plane & fly to your RCL ship to take a 7 day or longer cruise today if you were allowed to?  

No I wouldn't. Would you?  The question you ask has no answer and certainly can't be used to change anyone's mind. We all have our own circumstances. Not least our own health situation. So it's meaningless. 

Phil 

Well, as much as I want to cruise right now I doubt it will be safe and entertaining. I want to wait until all the limitations are down so that I can go safely and do things I like to do on board the ship. Another thing I want to talk about is that its better to book a cruise for 21-22 - it will be much cheaper and safer 

There is no location that is ever completely "safe" from COVID-19, including your own home.

The recent dramatic increase in COVID-19 in countries worldwide is with virtually no cruise ships involved.

The cruising industry has implemented significant procedural changes that make it now one of the 

least likely places to acquire COVID-19. 

Once a vaccine is finalized there will be a dramatic increase in cruising but until then there are enough

safeguards in place to make 2021 a realistic time to again enjoy cruising.

We are looking towards the 2nd quarter of 2021.

Happy Travel to All!

Absolutely yes! I can take care of myself and understand how to make good choices. I work in a health care environment that includes residential settings.  I've had staff members with offices close to mine who share rest rooms and a break room with me that have been infected, I've traveled to regions with very high positively rates, and regularly travel in the same vehicle with others, yet I'm diligent to understand my surroundings and take care to do things that will prevent infection. 

If you take proper precautions your exposure opportunities are extremely low. I'd love to be sitting on a balcony watching the waves go by for a week right now. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, GlobalMethod said:

There is no location that is ever completely "safe" from COVID-19, including your own home.

How do you come to that conclusion?  My chances of catching Covid-19 at home are minimal. Actually they are probably zero. If I get on a plane and cruise on a ship my chances are definitely not. 

Phil 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, garyl62 said:

Absolutely yes! I can take care of myself and understand how to make good choices. I work in a health care environment that includes residential settings.  I've had staff members with offices close to mine who share rest rooms and a break room with me that have been infected, I've traveled to regions with very high positively rates, and regularly travel in the same vehicle with others, yet I'm diligent to understand my surroundings and take care to do things that will prevent infection. 

If you take proper precautions your exposure opportunities are extremely low. I'd love to be sitting on a balcony watching the waves go by for a week right now. 

You have just summed up why I say absolutely not.

• Like 3