Just in case anyone had doubts about whom Celebrity are targeting with their "Always Included" &" New Luxury" branding

AtlantaCruiser72

Clearly, their new luxury branding aims at excluding kids on board. I think they're forgetting that many folks in the younger generations have a kid or two in tow. We're GenX on the cusp of being Millennials.  We love sailing Celebrity and we stay in the Sky Suites. We just tried to book a 7-day cruise and they wanted $3,500 for our baby who will be under two at sailing. We've been charged around $1,000 when booking on past occasions (both with Celeb and HAL), which was palatable. Yes, we have money to throw around, but we aren't wasting that amount on a baby that will barely eat, won't drink or even be able to use the kids facilities. They're losing people like us (brand loyal with money to spend) while they are trying to chase unicorns. I'm fine with paying the "all-inclusive luxury" pricing for us adults, but it's insane for a baby. 

8 minutes ago, keysey222 said:

Clearly, their new luxury branding aims at excluding kids on board. I think they're forgetting that many folks in the younger generations have a kid or two in tow. We're GenX on the cusp of being Millennials.  We love sailing Celebrity and we stay in the Sky Suites. We just tried to book a 7-day cruise and they wanted $3,500 for our baby who will be under two at sailing. We've been charged around $1,000 when booking on past occasions (both with Celeb and HAL), which was palatable. Yes, we have money to throw around, but we aren't wasting that amount on a baby that will barely eat, won't drink or even be able to use the kids facilities. They're losing people like us (brand loyal with money to spend) while they are trying to chase unicorns. I'm fine with paying the "all-inclusive luxury" pricing for us adults, but it's insane for a baby. 

I do not think that is quite correct, as a few friends who travel with us have children between 4 and 12, all of whom love the Sea Camp.

The younger ones, to their parents chagrin at times, spend all day and evening in the club.

These parents believe that they are getting value for their 'family' fare, I understand that you do not and accept that accordingly.

A few of our boomer friends from time to time bring along their young grand children, as well, again believing that they are getting value, overall, from X through activities and the like.

Your comments are duly noted regardless.

bon voyage

3 minutes ago, keysey222 said:

I personally have never seen X marketing aimed at families with children of any age.

Our first cruise with them was in 2003. They got our attention via their clever TV ads featuring a smartly dressed man talking about his experience on board, and being “treated like Royalty”. We gave them a try and have been happy with them ever since.

I do agree with you that the price you've been quoted for your child does seem a little exorbitant.

23 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

I do not think that is quite correct, as a few friends who travel with us have children between 4 and 12, all of whom love the Sea Camp.

The younger ones, to their parents chagrin at times, spend all day and evening in the club.

These parents believe that they are getting value for their 'family' fare, I understand that you do not and accept that accordingly.

A few of our boomer friends from time to time bring along their young grand children, as well, again believing that they are getting value, overall, from X through activities and the like.

bon voyage

Bo, I believe you are correct pre Covid and pre always included.  However Celebrity has apparently changed how they now do business where two year olds are involved.  Keysey222 said they want $3,500 to bring her 2 year old.  That's how they're being anti children. It has nothing to do with the club.

Just tried to dummy book a 9 night Equinox for Sept Sky suite 2120 cost is 

2x £3096 plus £1876 for the 3rd person. There is no option for declaring the child age and personally I think it’s a disgrace for a small child to charge this amount.

Edited by emmas gran
Add

I tend to agree with keysey222. It is a difficult marketing strategy for Celebrity, trying to entice younger generations of cruisers while also dissuading the inclusion of younger children through pricing. Parent company, Royal Caribbean, prefers to steer young families in its direction, obviously providing more opportunities for children.

Comparing two seven day Western Caribbean cruises in a balcony cabin with the same basic location, Celebrity price was $3000.00 more than Royal.  The booking was for two adults and two children. Listed children’s ages were 5 and 7. The difference, X asks the number of children under 17, while RCI asks the number of children 12 and under and their ages. Big difference in per child price.

Whereas I understand the marketing strategies, I also understand the frustration for some in being asked to spend a much larger dollar amount from one cruise line to another, for basically the same offering.  

We enjoy RCI whether cruising ourselves or with grandchildren. Celebrity is our cruise line of choice and no grandchildren accompany us on X cruises. The vibes are totally different and we prefer the quieter more subdued ambiance for ourselves.    

Edited by Spif Barwunkel

54 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

bon voyage

With all respect...this is a 'baby' being overly charged IMO  and doesn't compare to young ones using the facilities, dining, etc.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Oceangoer2 said:

Pardon me for asking...but what was the GOOP CRUISE?

Look here: https://www.celebritycruises.com/ca/specialty-cruises/goop-at-sea

There were Goop Cruises planned for this year, until COVID-19 appeared. It looks like they plan on bringing them back for 2021.

There were long, lively threads on Goop, its founder and her candles, inter alia.

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

There were Goop Cruises planned for this year, until COVID-19 appeared. It looks like they plan on bringing them back for 2021.

There were long, lively threads on Goop, its founder and her candles, inter alia.

It's too bad X didn't see the (candle) light... 🕯

Edited by C-Dragons
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Oceangoer2 said:

With all respect...this is a 'baby' being overly charged IMO  and doesn't compare to young ones using the facilities, dining, etc.

This used to come up all the time on the RCI board. Haven't seen it much on the Celebrity board.

The baby counts against total capacity, so what you're really paying for, right or wrong, is lost revenue of a drinking and gambling age adult. Dissecting out whether under the AI pricing you're paying for AI probably isn't possible, and we can all debate whether it's a good business practice, but that ended up being the bottom line on almost every thread on RCI on this particular issue. RCI did have kids sail free promos (which usually jacked up the price of the adults, of course...).

Haven't looked at other boards for other lines, but I'm guessing it's similar. 

• Thanks 1

We just booked our first Celebrity cruise for Alaska 2022. (We have cruised on other lines... but will be Celebrity newbies)

We have friends who love Celebrity- so word of mouth was our first thing which made us consider the line. They all love the experience and the food. These friends are from multiple generations of ages. 

But

I must admit that we were, personally, very intrigued by the new format of "Always Included"...

So we booked Alaska 2022 with this in mind and did choose to do the "Elevate" package.

AND

We are are both, indeed, Generation X.

So... maybe Celebrity "has our number"... hehehehe.

(Looking so forward to the cruise)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChucktownSteve said:

Bo, I believe you are correct pre Covid and pre always included.  However Celebrity has apparently changed how they now do business where two year olds are involved.  Keysey222 said they want $3,500 to bring her 2 year old.  That's how they're being anti children. It has nothing to do with the club.

I understand, yet when our friends who travel with their 4 yo who only eats pasta morning, noon and night and only drinks water.. I find it to be somewhat similar.

Yet, they only travel in balconies/verandas vs suites, so pricing is not identical, yet would be proportionately identical vs cabin category, do you not think?

I do agree that a 2 yo would not avail themselves of the facilities as much or even close to that of a 4 yo.

I would not presume to know what the value of bringing children as young as these aboard vs the amount of work staff must do to accommodate the family and etc.

Your input is duly noted accordingly, thank you.

bon voyage

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, naturelovergirl said:

We just booked our first Celebrity cruise for Alaska 2022. (We have cruised on other lines... but will be Celebrity newbies)

We have friends who love Celebrity- so word of mouth was our first thing which made us consider the line. They all love the experience and the food. These friends are from multiple generations of ages. 

But

I must admit that we were, personally, very intrigued by the new format of "Always Included"...

So we booked Alaska 2022 with this in mind and did choose to do the "Elevate" package.

AND

We are are both, indeed, Generation X.

So... maybe Celebrity "has our number"... hehehehe.

(Looking so forward to the cruise)

Which Alaska sailing are you signed up for? Is it r/t out of Seattle or from Alaska?

I think you will enjoy it immensely.

bon voyage

• Like 1

2 hours ago, keysey222 said:

I'm fine with paying the "all-inclusive luxury" pricing for us adults, but it's insane for a baby. 

At least you would be hypothetically paying it for a "being" that actually exists.

Imagine how us solo cruisers feel; we have to pay the luxury surcharge for a phantom cabin-mate, on top of paying their full fare....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, markeb said:

This used to come up all the time on the RCI board. Haven't seen it much on the Celebrity board.

The baby counts against total capacity, so what you're really paying for, right or wrong, is lost revenue of a drinking and gambling age adult. Dissecting out whether under the AI pricing you're paying for AI probably isn't possible, and we can all debate whether it's a good business practice, but that ended up being the bottom line on almost every thread on RCI on this particular issue. RCI did have kids sail free promos (which usually jacked up the price of the adults, of course...).

Haven't looked at other boards for other lines, but I'm guessing it's similar. 

So that's on the premise there would be 3 in a cabin...considering there's *usually* 2, I can't see how it's lost revenue if it's a baby occupying the space.  Guess if you considered a crib and clean up there should be some charge but not what this poster is quoting IMHO.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

At least you would be hypothetically paying it for a "being" that actually exists.

Imagine how us solo cruisers feel; we have to pay the luxury surcharge for a phantom cabin-mate, on top of paying their full fare....

they definitely are discouraging solo travelers.  It is a risk/reward option for X.  

you probably have to look elsewhere for now, although I think man cruise lines are looking to maximize revenue 

Just now, Oceangoer2 said:

So that's on the premise there would be 3 in a cabin...considering there's *usually* 2, I can't see how it's lost revenue if it's a baby occupying the space.  Guess if you considered a crib and clean up there should be some charge but not what this poster is quoting IMHO.

Not the cabin. The ship. There’s a max safety limit, and the baby counts. Our resident Chief Engineer used to periodically go through this in detail on the RCI boards. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

CruiseMom,

I’m with you! And, I’m not impressed when they offer me a 60% discount on a Phantom cabinmate.

Now they need to lower passenger density, shouldn’t they be pursuing us as a demographic? 😉 

Big discounts for solo cruisers, now that would really be a development!

Cheers,

Doc Ruth

Just now, markeb said:

Not the cabin. The ship. There’s a max safety limit, and the baby counts. Our resident Chief Engineer used to periodically go through this in detail on the RCI boards. 

I see...good to know....baby would need a lifejacket and space in the lifeboat.

42 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

Which Alaska sailing are you signed up for? Is it r/t out of Seattle or from Alaska?

I think you will enjoy it immensely.

bon voyage

Sailing from Vancouver.

Visiting Hubbard Glacier
We love glaciers... We experienced our first in Norway three years ago... 

Hubbard is on our bucket list.

Celebrity offered us a good itinerary and things that we were looking for in a ship.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Fouremco said:

Look here: https://www.celebritycruises.com/ca/specialty-cruises/goop-at-sea

Oh good. I thought Goop was a hand cleaner mechanics used to get the grease off their hands.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3