Just in case anyone had doubts about whom Celebrity are targeting with their "Always Included" &" New Luxury" branding

AtlantaCruiser72

49 minutes ago, docruth said:

Essential item for any home repair that gets messy!

Well, I learned something new today, definition of Goop in the dictionary.
Sounds messy too. 😉

noun Slang.

a viscous, sticky or semiliquid substance; goo.

Edited by C-Dragons

42 minutes ago, C-Dragons said:

Well, I learned something new today, definition of Goop in the dictionary.
Sounds messy too. 😉

noun Slang.

a viscous, sticky or semiliquid substance; goo.

Mechanics didn't need water to clean their hands.  Those were in the days of the "shade tree" mechanics.  For you Gen Xers, they were called that because they pulled the car under a tree to fix it so they would be out of the sun.

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

Yup, and it's been around since 1949. No idea why Paltrow chose to use an existing brand name.

Gwenyth.....o...o...Paltrow.  Any idea what the double O might represent?  Must be co partners....You'd think the name brand would have been patented and she would have been liable for infringement?  Name wouldn't entice me to the spa....

23 minutes ago, Oceangoer2 said:

Gwenyth.....o...o...Paltrow.  Any idea what the double O might represent?  Must be co partners....You'd think the name brand would have been patented and she would have been liable for infringement?  Name wouldn't entice me to the spa....

From Wikipedia:

According to Paltrow, the company's name came from someone telling her successful internet companies have double O's in their name, and she "wanted it to be a word that means nothing and could mean anything."

She was still living in the UK and married to Chris Martin of Coldplay at the time. Doubt either of them had ever seen (or needed? A jar of Goop...

16 minutes ago, markeb said:

From Wikipedia:

According to Paltrow, the company's name came from someone telling her successful internet companies have double O's in their name, and she "wanted it to be a word that means nothing and could mean anything."

She was still living in the UK and married to Chris Martin of Coldplay at the time. Doubt either of them had ever seen (or needed? A jar of Goop...

yes, both to the manor born!

6 hours ago, ChucktownSteve said:

I thought Goop was a hand cleaner mechanics used to get the grease off their hands.

Correct-- There isn't a machine shop that doesn't use it or something similar.

" It tastes bad, but it works "      ( Where did I hear that phrase " ??? )  

36 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

Correct-- There isn't a machine shop that doesn't use it or something similar.

" It tastes bad, but it works "      ( Where did I hear that phrase " ??? )  

How does one get grease in one's mouth or should I not ask?😮

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

LOL- My mechanic said  " It tastes bad, but it works "  and offered me a taste when I was complaining about his bill.  

( There's a tv commercial for a cough syrup that uses " It tastes bad, but it works " as a punch line )

• Haha 1

On 11/16/2020 at 9:20 PM, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Ditto.  I did three of those.  Loved them!  I hate 7-night cruises.  You just get comfortably settled and it's time to get off.  Maybe we need to find a cruiseline that will cater to those of us with time to cruise and money to spend on cruising.

Agree that longer cruises are nice.  Lots of people still working don't want more than a week off.  

• Like 1

On 12/6/2020 at 12:00 PM, markeb said:

This used to come up all the time on the RCI board. Haven't seen it much on the Celebrity board.

The baby counts against total capacity, so what you're really paying for, right or wrong, is lost revenue of a drinking and gambling age adult. Dissecting out whether under the AI pricing you're paying for AI probably isn't possible, and we can all debate whether it's a good business practice, but that ended up being the bottom line on almost every thread on RCI on this particular issue. RCI did have kids sail free promos (which usually jacked up the price of the adults, of course...).

Haven't looked at other boards for other lines, but I'm guessing it's similar. 

I can appreciate this argument and I fully expect to pay something to bring her on. I've booked and rebooked quite a few cruises thanks to COVID and in the past Celebrity always charged around $1k for our daughter. We have an 11-day South Pacific booked for 2022 and we paid $1k, which is reasonable. These are all Sky Suites. Once Celeb went to "all-inclusive" pricing, we tried to book a 7-day Norway cruise and the price jumped to $3,500. They can have their reasons for the exorbitant pricing, just as I have my reasons for moving our Norway cruise to HAL.  

• Like 2

On 12/6/2020 at 10:20 AM, C-Dragons said:

I personally have never seen X marketing aimed at families with children of any age.

Our first cruise with them was in 2003. They got our attention via their clever TV ads featuring a smartly dressed man talking about his experience on board, and being “treated like Royalty”. We gave them a try and have been happy with them ever since.

I do agree with you that the price you've been quoted for your child does seem a little exorbitant.

I agree, it's not marketed towards kids at all. We enjoy sailing Celebrity and prefer it to ships with waterslides, go-karts and such. My point was that it seems silly to target a younger market when that younger market often has kids to bring on board. 

20 hours ago, markeb said:

From Wikipedia:

Except that the company that owns Google is called Alphabet Inc (no double oo there).  I wonder if she knew that?

On 12/6/2020 at 10:16 AM, Bo1953 said:

I do not think that is quite correct, as a few friends who travel with us have children between 4 and 12, all of whom love the Sea Camp.

The younger ones, to their parents chagrin at times, spend all day and evening in the club.

These parents believe that they are getting value for their 'family' fare, I understand that you do not and accept that accordingly.

A few of our boomer friends from time to time bring along their young grand children, as well, again believing that they are getting value, overall, from X through activities and the like.

Your comments are duly noted regardless.

bon voyage

True, I don't believe that charging an under- 2-year-old $3500 is any kind of value. She isn't old enough at that point to use the Kid's Club or any services for children. Again, it's their decision to charge what they choose and it's our decision whether or not to sail. We still love sailing with Celebrity and hope to find more reasonable prices for our daughter with them in the future. We will always check. At least we are locked in with her for $1k on a 2022 cruise with them. It seems like a deal now!  I still believe if they aim to target my generation, they need to be a bit more reasonable with the cost of babies and kids on board. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Except that the company that owns Google is called Alphabet Inc (no double oo there).  I wonder if she knew that?

I'm guessing The Scientist told her if she'd only keep her eye on the Clocks and Don't Panic, pretty soon, she'd be going at the Speed of Sound and her company would be out of Trouble, her products might seem Yellow, but they'd Fix You, and you'd be on your way to Viva la Vida...

Of course, if you throw in a little Pepper Potts, they might eat through an Ironman suit!

(Went through a brief Coldplay phase. I recovered. Had to look those up on Google.)

Edited by markeb
Clarity...
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, keysey222 said:

I agree, it's not marketed towards kids at all. We enjoy sailing Celebrity and prefer it to ships with waterslides, go-karts and such. My point was that it seems silly to target a younger market when that younger market often has kids to bring on board. 

Yes, that seems like a pretty basic question that should have been considered.  

17 hours ago, lyndarra said:

Ever worked under a car? You wouldn't need to ask...  😀

(Another reason I choose to pay people to do things to my cars...)

• Haha 1

On 12/6/2020 at 1:22 PM, ChucktownSteve said:

Oh good. I thought Goop was a hand cleaner mechanics used to get the grease off their hands.

Goes right up there with Go Jo and Lava soap for ripping the skin right off your hands. Used way too much in my teen years and decided that I'd much rather prefer to figure out how to make a living without getting my hands dirty.

Edited by ORV

I believe that once things return to normal, post virus, you will begin to see the “kids sail free” cruises.   Personally, we avoid them.   We were seated next to a couple with a two year old who needed a booster seat.   At every meal food was flung from the table necessitating three adjacent tables remain unoccupied.   The floor required vacuuming and liquid carpet cleaner after each meal.     We learned to avoid the restaurant when this family was eating.   I can understand the extra charges for children.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Covepointcruiser said:

I believe that once things return to normal, post virus, you will begin to see the “kids sail free” cruises.   Personally, we avoid them.   We were seated next to a couple with a two year old who needed a booster seat.   At every meal food was flung from the table necessitating three adjacent tables remain unoccupied.   The floor required vacuuming and liquid carpet cleaner after each meal.     We learned to avoid the restaurant when this family was eating.   I can understand the extra charges for children.

And the absolute worst dining experience we ever had on a cruise was when we found ourselves seated adjacent to a table of 10-12  "adults" who chose to be entitled for the entire cruise (RCI, not X). Arrive late, arrive in small groups, badger the waiters for drinks, the one night the waiters chose to have the drinks they always ordered on the table, they no-showed on them. Sent back entrees. Shorts in the MDR. Etc.

Maybe there should be extra charges for adults who can't be? When I've seen the situation you're describing, the parents have almost always done everything in their power to minimize the impact of the situation. If they did, I feel for them; if they didn't see my example above...

(Oh, we'd already moved after the first night. We had been seated at a 8 or 10 top and no one else showed. About as awkward as possible. And the waiters at the second table (RCI had put a ring of 2 tops pretty much adjacent to the 10 top) were great!

• Thanks 1