Just in case anyone had doubts about whom Celebrity are targeting with their "Always Included" &" New Luxury" branding

AtlantaCruiser72

image.png.1ac13e2b0ea62003cb7ddeb3977684a0.png

Gen-X: Celebrity’s Ideal Guest, Huh?

So Jack Dorsey, the billionaire from Twitter, Jeff Bezos, the richest man in the world and these other people are now Celebrity’s Gen-X target demographic? Bezos isn’t even a Gen-Xer, he was born in ‘64, so he’s a Boomer. And if that last picture is Gloria Estefan, I can’t really tell, she’s one of the Oasis’ godmothers and was born in ‘57, so she’s a Boomer too.

That aside, there are 120 million Boomers and Traditionalists, contrasted with 45 million Gen-Xers. Who put this slide together? Can you even say research? I particularly like the $5.1T addressable market number, really where did that come from as we climb out of a recession? Maybe pull Dorsey, Bezos, Zuckerberg and some other Tech Entrepreneurs and entertainers out to recalculate. Those uber-wealthy types fly and cruise private anyway, so their wealth shouldn’t be in there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, docruth said:

So Jack Dorsey, the billionaire from Twitter, Jeff Bezos, the richest man in the world and these other people are now Celebrity’s Gen-X target demographic? Bezos isn’t even a Gen-Xer, he was born in ‘64, so he’s a Boomer. And if that last picture is Gloria Estefan, I can’t really tell, she’s one of the Oasis’ godmothers and was born in ‘57, so she’s a Boomer too.

That aside, there are 120 million Boomers and Traditionalists, contrasted with 45 million Gen-Xers. Who put this slide together? Can you even say research? I particularly like the $5.1T addressable market number, really where did that come from as we climb out of a recession? Maybe pull Dorsey, Bezos, Zuckerberg and some other Tech Entrepreneurs and entertainers out to recalculate. Those uber-wealthy types fly and cruise private anyway, so their wealth shouldn’t be in there.

I think the lady is Angelina Jolie not Gloria

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, emmas gran said:

I think the lady is Angelina Jolie not Gloria

You may be right! I only ran it through Tineye, and it gave me a high probability for GE post-surgery.

Pretty sure cruising on a megaship, no matter how luxxe, is not her regular vacation though ... 😂 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, docruth said:

You may be right! I only ran it through Tineye, and it gave me a high probability for GE post-surgery.

Pretty sure cruising on a megaship, no matter how luxxe, is not her regular vacation though ... 😂 

Quite the mock-up....would have to pay these folks mega $$s to use their photo in marketing X.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, docruth said:

For goodness sake, talk about nit-picking!  

Anyone familiar with these generational "buckets" for marketing knows that there is some fluidity in exactly what years are included. For example, some say the post-war baby boom ended in 1960; others say 1965. I would say for someone born in between those years, it depends more on where they would place themselves in terms of their characteristics.  I mean, it's not like Celebrity is going to refuse to let you read or watch their advertising if you are not a Gen X'er....

The photos are an attempt to help sellers (e.g., travel agents) identify the brand and brand characteristics -- not to try to lure Angelina Jolie or Jeff Bezos onboard a Celebrity ship. I'm sure they would pick out other steller well-knowns to "represent" boomers, or millennials. And if you pull the "wealthy" Gen X'ers out of your calculcation, then you'd also have to pull out wealthy Boomers like Bill Gates, Oprah Winfrey and many of the Walton family members.

• Thanks 1

On 11/17/2020 at 7:12 PM, MarinerBoy said:

You never see older people on social media, because they are not relevant

If I were a " bettin man " I'd put my money on the fact that there are more sr citizens on social media than ever before.  As for myself, I have a eye phone  ( LOL ) that I can use when I'm at Tim Hortons discussing " important " stuff , like " When is the NHL going to restart ?".

" Sr Citizens are not relevant "--- Ok, nice try !!! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

50 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

If I were a " bettin man " I'd put my money on the fact that there are more sr citizens on social media than ever before.  As for myself, I have a eye phone  ( LOL ) that I can use when I'm at Tim Hortons discussing " important " stuff , like " When is the NHL going to restart ?".

" Sr Citizens are not relevant "--- Ok, nice try !!! 

Last year we were sitting in a fast food restaurant in Glasgow. Next to us were two American students and one came out with the statement that old people should not be allowed to vote as they would soon be dead. Nice.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

Anyone familiar with these generational "buckets" for marketing knows that there is some fluidity in exactly what years are included. For example, some say the post-war baby boom ended in 1960; others say 1965. I would say for someone born in between those years, it depends more on where they would place themselves in terms of their characteristics.  I mean, it's not like Celebrity is going to refuse to let you read or watch their advertising if you are not a Gen X'er....

The photos are an attempt to help sellers (e.g., travel agents) identify the brand and brand characteristics -- not to try to lure Angelina Jolie or Jeff Bezos onboard a Celebrity ship. I'm sure they would pick out other steller well-knowns to "represent" boomers, or millennials. And if you pull the "wealthy" Gen X'ers out of your calculcation, then you'd also have to pull out wealthy Boomers like Bill Gates, Oprah Winfrey and many of the Walton family members.

Mind you, it fits well with Gwyneth Paltrow and her hook up with Celebrity. Perhaps Gen X appreciate her Goop and modern lifestyle brand 😂

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

The celeb photos are a 'google grab' ...notice the bottom id as "images taken from google image".  Not part of X marketing and not legit.  Poster having fun with us.

Edited by Oceangoer2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Oceangoer2 said:

The celeb photos are a 'google grab' ...notice the bottom id as "images taken from google image".  Not part of X marketing and not legit.  Poster having fun with us.

The OP, who originally posted the slide, said it was from a travel agent webinar and having become familiar with their posts I tend to believe it...

• Like 1

Its not true at all that celebrities don't cruise public or fly public. In fact many celebrity sightings occurs on 1st class transatlantic flights, on 5 star hotels in Maldives, on premium cruise lines etc.. these travel modes are "first class" the peak of society and accessible only to the rich who can afford them, including celebrities. So it's not at all unusual for billionaires, movie stars etc to enjoy the same high end cruises planes and resorts we can too.

On 11/21/2020 at 10:23 AM, yorky said:

Last year we were sitting in a fast food restaurant in Glasgow. Next to us were two American students and one came out with the statement that old people should not be allowed to vote as they would soon be dead. Nice.

Typical ignorance of skulls-full-o'-mush youngsters!

Chances are good that the oldtimers whom they now disrespect will outlive one or both of these morons.

For me the bottom line is price.  They can adjust their marketing all they want, and rework what's in and what's out, what's included, what's not.  If the landing prices I see in the booking window available remain (which I have focused on Caribbean for comparison) then i will not be sailing Celebrity.  If other cruise lines fall in behind the same then I won't be cruising any of them.  

I priced a 12 night veranda on the Reflection for 2022 (similar ship/itinerary I had booked for 2021 but cancelled) and the final cost to get the same perks I had is now $9,600 CAD.  The cancelled cruise was $4,200 CAD.  I have friends that did the lift and shift to move the 2021 to 2022 and they are equally blown away and thankful they did because they would not have considered that cost either. 

Coming out the other side of all this is going to be tough and I'm not sure selling the same product as something different with a really high cost is going to be their magic bullet but I wish them luck. 

I've said before, I just hope that over time things settle again to a reasonable price point or it looks like I need to build a company to compete with Amazon ... my acting skills won't cut it and age is not on my side  🙂  That said I don't expect anyone will see Jolie or Bezos on their Celebrity cruise.

Edited by poffles
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Whilst not a celebrity cruiser I have read with interest that they

have seemingly declared their ideal clients to be in the 40-60 range.

Many have said they will not cruise celebrity again in view of that.

If wishing for an early restart with  more people on board they

seem to have shot themselves in the foot.   

They have now alienated many of their loyal customers in the 60+

group  so they wont be travelling although vaccinated  and the new

found  40-60 group will not be able to cruise for months as they

are way down the group list to receive the vaccine.  

It will be interesting to see how that progresses.

• Like 2

And do not forget X's love in affair with Gwyneth Paltrow's "Goop".

Where did that go, hah!

X should decide what is their product offering and target market is.

It will not work for everyone, but really, X get a hold of yourself.

55 minutes ago, Roz said:

I can't access the article without signing up for a subscription.  Could you summarize it for us?

Those that are promising refunds are doing so to avoid looking bad to future customers, he said. Meanwhile, the cruise lines continued to take payments for scheduled cruises that have later been canceled as the pandemic drags on, he said.

“It’s a giant Ponzi scheme,” he said. “The cruise lines are marketing and selling cruises knowing they will be canceled. Then they hold onto the money and offer future cruise credits.”

A newly formed organization called Global Cruise Activist Network, which is pushing the industry to improve how it treats the environment, port communities and consumers, released a video on Dec. 2 urging consumers not to accept future cruise credits when their trips are canceled.

If eligible, they should request cash refunds instead, network co-founder Karla Hart says. That’s because many large cruise lines have revised their cancellation policies and are no longer offering refunds for rebooked cruises that get canceled. Plus, many cruise lines are letting future cruise credits expire if you don’t use them within 12 months, potentially leaving consumers with nothing, she said.

Cruise lines are urging refund-eligible consumers to rebook future cruises not just so they can keep the cash to fund current operations, Hart said. They also need to keep future bookings at high levels to keep prices high, she said.

• Like 1