Just in case anyone had doubts about whom Celebrity are targeting with their "Always Included" &" New Luxury" branding

AtlantaCruiser72

15 hours ago, Arno. said:

It certainly is not me.  I just got banned from sailing on any celebrity or Royal branded ship for contravention of their guest conduct policy and I’m not even on a ship.  It seems they do not like my Who is aboard thread and reaching out to staff members dating back over a decade.

What??? Really?  Was it out of the blue or were you having some sort of running conversation?  Can they just ban anybody from sailing for social media posts - even if not sailing one of their ships at the time?  This sounds like a First Amendment violation.

Normally we do prepaid gratuities and a drink package but have no desire or need for wifi.  I'm about to retire from a 40+ year IT career and I can't wait to disconnect from the grid - though I know that's not 100% possible.  But I want to option to choose or not to choose.  For example, we have had a couple of cruises that were so port intensive that a drink package was not cost effective.

22 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

What??? Really?  Was it out of the blue or were you having some sort of running conversation?  Can they just ban anybody from sailing for social media posts - even if not sailing one of their ships at the time?  This sounds like a First Amendment violation.

Might need a Congressional hearing.

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, Arno. said:

It certainly is not me.  I just got banned from sailing on any celebrity or Royal branded ship for contravention of their guest conduct policy and I’m not even on a ship.  It seems they do not like my Who is aboard thread and reaching out to staff members dating back over a decade.

That is alarming.  The "Who is aboard thread" is a great reference tool and I have used it several times, as have 100's of other people.  I am sure many of us have also contravened the "Guest Conduct Policy" for some of our comments on social media.  Well I am sure many shareholders will sleep well knowing that RCI has so many clients banging on the doors that they can toss aside the loyal ones.

Hopefully you can resolve the issue; that is, if you want to.

48 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

In another post he mentioned 'after a number of staff complaints' about him reaching out to crew personally. Like they say, there are two sides to every story, but I doubt we get the full story here. I don't have any idea who he is, doesn't matter to me, but I doubt Celebrity just bans random guests without solid reason.  

• Thanks 2

51 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Their ships and they can decide who can cruise and who cannot! Others have been suspended in the past and they received the word as Arno did. No warning, just a ban! It's certainly within their rights to do that, but it might not be the best PR especially when it comes to a popular cruising couple. In one case I know of the one year suspension turned into a lifetime suspension, but that's a different case.

1 hour ago, basenji56 said:

Go to the Celebrity website to book a cruise.  There is no option to decline the amenities.  I am not making this up.

I have heard that travel agents can sell you a cruise without amenities but I am not positive about this.  

Yesterday, I had options to take or not, today there is the basic AI option and two (2) additional upgrade options available.

As such, I do apologize for the point concerning not being forced to take the bundle were one intent on sailing X, yet if there is no intent or interest in taking any of X's bundles our option(s) remain the same, we can move on to a line which does not force or is AI already, provided we see value.

Thank you for pointing this out.

bon voyage

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

What I find curious, is why would anyone be seeking information about who's on board any ship, as none of them are sailing, or will be in the near future. And how could anyone confirm anything as everything is subject to change especially in the current environment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, ScubesDad said:

That is alarming.  The "Who is aboard thread" is a great reference tool and I have used it several times, as have 100's of other people.  I am sure many of us have also contravened the "Guest Conduct Policy" for some of our comments on social media.  Well I am sure many shareholders will sleep well knowing that RCI has so many clients banging on the doors that they can toss aside the loyal ones.

Hopefully you can resolve the issue; that is, if you want to.

The decision was not based on social media comments. It was based on direct contact with the cruise line's employees.

• Like 1

In February 2020 we booked the following Celebrity cruise, age demographics and economic status and marketing strategy notwithstanding. We were fortunate to get a really great deal, in our minds, but unfortunately this cruise will not go with a departure date of April 19, 2021 from Lisbon.

11 Night Portugal, Spain & France Cruise on Silhouette, disembarking in London.

Our typical veranda cabin on deck 8 mid/aft.

All four perks including premium beverage package.

Total cost - $4150.00 including taxes and fees with a $50.00 deposit

Today’s cost on the website - $6195.00 including taxes & fees and “Always Included” package with $900.00 deposit.

Here is the point I am making, even if Covid19 had not happened. If we had not taken advantage of the 2/20 price point for this cruise (for whatever reason), the 11/20 price point would not have dissuaded us from booking. Why, because we still enjoy X, the itinerary is very attractive to us (especially Le Havre and beaches at Normandy), and we do like the perks offered with AI. The additional cost is worth it to us, age demographics, economic status and marketing strategy notwithstanding.

If conflicted with the pricing of any goods or services, only I can determine if the value is worth the expenditure. No one else makes that decision for me.   

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, C-Dragons said:

What I find curious, is why would anyone be seeking information about who's on board any ship, as none of them are sailing, or will be in the near future. And how could anyone confirm anything as everything is subject to change especially in the current environment.

The "Who's Onboard" thread has been going on for a very long time, so it's not a recent thing. I have chastised posters who complain here, but never spoke to those who were targets of their anger. Those who were complaining about Arno's actions at least should have talked to him before complaining . Now, they may have and I have no proof either way. Celebrity absolutely has the right to ban passengers, it's how they may have done it that I am questioning. I know and like Arno and JoAnne and have never seen him out of control or disrespectful to anyone. He does complain, but lots of people complain.

4 minutes ago, C-Dragons said:

The decision was not based on social media comments. It was based on direct contact with the cruise line's employees.

Thanks for the additional information.  I read the comments subsequent to my comments and there is certainly more to the story.  I know from my time in the corporate world, my personal telephone number was unlisted and it was my decision who had access to it.  I remember a client calling our home one Saturday morning, I was out with our son and the client essentially demanded my wife find me and have me call him back.  Didn't happen.  I called him back late that evening and essentially shifted him from my desk to a colleague's desk.  Then again, I have several past clients who are good friends now and we regularly socialize .  The employee controls the relationship.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

In February 2020 we booked the following Celebrity cruise, age demographics and economic status and marketing strategy notwithstanding. We were fortunate to get a really great deal, in our minds, but unfortunately this cruise will not go with a departure date of April 19, 2021 from Lisbon.

11 Night Portugal, Spain & France Cruise on Silhouette, disembarking in London.

Our typical veranda cabin on deck 8 mid/aft.

All four perks including premium beverage package.

Total cost - $4150.00 including taxes and fees with a $50.00 deposit

Today’s cost on the website - $6195.00 including taxes & fees and “Always Included” package with $900.00 deposit.

Here is the point I am making, even if Covid19 had not happened. If we had not taken advantage of the 2/20 price point for this cruise (for whatever reason), the 11/20 price point would not have dissuaded us from booking. Why, because we still enjoy X, the itinerary is very attractive to us (especially Le Havre and beaches at Normandy), and we do like the perks offered with AI. The additional cost is worth it to us, age demographics, economic status and marketing strategy notwithstanding.

If conflicted with the pricing of any goods or services, only I can determine if the value is worth the expenditure. No one else makes that decision for me.   

We've cruised in Northern Europe and Iberia and they were fantastic.  Hope you make it when all this passes.

17 hours ago, Arno. said:

Quite a long-delayed knee-jerk reaction, though in some ways predictable. Perhaps through your enthusiastic hard work you became too popular with the CC community and less popular with RCI. Not every business appreciates a non-employee currying favor by providing- -dare I say - "guarded" information. Although I believe it's overkill, it is indeed their action to invoke.

I guess "Who's Not Onboard" is out of the question.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Ozzmund said:

Agree completely. Unless you are going overseas, First Class is not worth the $$.

As long as Delta blocks the middle seat, Economy Plus us just fine for a flight of less than 4 hours.

Yup.  I was referring to domestic flights.  There aren't many countries that will let us in these days, so overseas seats in first class are not in the running.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, CruiserRob said:

Fares with no perks are still available from some travel agents so I don't see what the issue is.

Robert

This is the big question.  If it is true, this will help travel agents.  I haven't seen a definite answer.

Edited by basenji56

10 minutes ago, basenji56 said:

This is the big question.  If it is true, this will help travel agents.  I haven't seen a definite answer.

It is true with at least two on line agencies that I have used in the past.  I don't know if others are also offering the same non perk prices as they were the only ones that I did a before and after comparison.

Robert

• Like 1

5 hours ago, terrydtx said:

My wife and I are both retired Boomers (70 years old) and do not care who Celebrity markets too, it makes no difference to us.

Agree. It's all about choices. We are two baby boomers that are very happy RDINKs. 🍻😎

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, terrydtx said:

My wife and I are both retired Boomers (70 years old) and do not care who Celebrity markets too, it makes no difference to us. We can because of savings and aggressive financial investments while working,  afford to travel first class and almost as often as we want. So we have both the time and discretionary income to travel.

We choose to sail with Celebrity because we like the current product and for us the ability to book a great cabin (AQ or higher)  with a private dinning room  and get the 4 perks package for a little more but less than if bought individually, are what's important. If the Celebrity ships being filled with more Gen X or even Millennials, means the line stays profitable and in business, that is a good thing. As long as Celebrity keeps this current model we will be happy to sail with them for many years to come. Loyalty programs are nice but in the scheme of things not that important for us. We have 180,000 miles with American Airlines that we may never use because of covid and the drop in the AA product quality.

I don't think anyone here believes first class travel "any time" we want is available to 99% of posters here..  last time I checked a transatlantic first class tickets goes for 8k per person, traveling that 2x ppl several times a year will set you back a cool 50k a year just in air tickets. No one here has the type of retirement money to blow 50k a year purely on air, no one. 

So please ease off on the bragging and gross over generalizations we know when it comes to dollars and real figures peoples claims don't add up.

Edited by MarinerBoy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, MarinerBoy said:

I don't think anyone here believes first class travel "any time" we want is available to 99% of posters here..  last time I checked a transatlantic first class tickets goes for 8k per person, traveling that 2x ppl several times a year will set you back a cool 50k a year just in air tickets. No one here has the type of retirement money to blow 50k a year purely on air, no one. 

So please ease off on the bragging and gross over generalizations we know when it comes to dollars and real figures peoples claims don't add up.

Oh boy, I have to say that I know at least 3 couples in my extended family in a financial situation  to be able to do this. I'm not saying they do this, but they easily could.

If someone is retired, has their home and vehicles paid off and no major bills, and have been frugal with their savings this is very possible. Just because someone is retired doesn't mean they don't have income coming in from pensions, investments, rental properties, inheritance, business sales or other sources. If travel is how people spend their savings this is their choice.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• LauraS locked and unlocked this topic

OK I will take the bait, we travel Business class on any flights over 5 hours and yes we sometimes use air miles/ loyalty point. Don’t question people’s situation. It is not bragging merely the truth

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I don't think anyone here believes first class travel "any time" we want is available to 99% of posters here..  last time I checked a transatlantic first class tickets goes for 8k per person, traveling that 2x ppl several times a year will set you back a cool 50k a year just in air tts. No one here has the type of retirement money to blow 50k a year purely on air, no one. 

You just don't know some of the people I've met on these boards and I can tell you that some, not many can easily afford private planes let along first class tickets several times a year to Europe or Asia. They just keep it to themselves about their wealth. Cruise enough and I'm sure you'll get to know these very fine people. I should add that many are "thrifty" with their money and some stay in inside cabins.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MarinerBoy said:

Before you start lambasting anyone who prefers to fly to Europe on Business class, know your facts. I am not bragging but making a point. We are flying in May 2021 from San Antonio to Venice RT on Delta Business class for $2760 per person. Our Business class seats in August from SAT to Barcelona and home to SAT from Lisbon are $2300 pp RT. I would never pay 8K per person. So for 4 RT Business class seats we are paying a little over $10K no where near the $50k you quoted. Both Delta flights next year are a little less than $1000 pp over coach or Delta Comfort fares, which is very easy to afford. We booked both also through Celebrity Air and saved a couple hundred dollars over the Delta online pricing. We also booked early when the flights first opened and the prices were the lowest. I will be waiting for your apology.

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 1