Just in case anyone had doubts about whom Celebrity are targeting with their "Always Included" &" New Luxury" branding

AtlantaCruiser72

On 11/14/2020 at 6:49 PM, ipeeinthepool said:

They won't be able to sustain these prices for non-suite guests unless Princess and HAL also raise their prices dramatically I don't see that happening.  The view Virgin as their closest competitor for the suite guests, so they think they can charge Virgin prices.  I don't think the ship within a ship concept will work to capture the Virgin audience.  

speaking virgin, have you seen their beds, i saw a pic of the cabin and wondered where the bed was. didnt realize the sofa slides to make a bed. who wants that? i can have that in my friends basement, the pricing did not reflect that crazy notion of that bed

4 hours ago, Roz said:

The Boomers still have a lot of cruising left in them, but of course any business has to look towards cultivating the next generation(s) while retaining current customers.

1 hour ago, wrk2cruise said:

I don't think anyone thinks it's not smart for Celebrity to try to expand it's customer base by including GenX.   But why alienate their loyal customer base?

Why indeed? It seems to me that the introduction of AI by Celebrity is being construed by some here as somehow being anti-Boomer. While it may be more attractive to Gen X passengers, I don't think that Celebrity ever considered it as a way to get rid of we Boomers. I'll reserve judgement on the whole AI program until we get a better idea of its impact on pricing and its associated changes to the Captain's Club benefits. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, SolocruiserMA said:

I'm a Gen X'er who is Platinum Plus with NCL. Realizing about a year ago I was growing tired of NCL, I decided that I'm finally in a financial position to look at a more premium cruise line. So, I booked a Celebrity Edge voyage, a voyage on the Scarlet Lady, and MSC Yacht Club to try to find my new preferred line. 

I suspect lots of my generation are in a similar position, having student loans gone, a house with equity, and a career with 10 years of seniority. It's only natural to start to explore. 

Celebrity would be negligent not to try to capitalize on that reality. 

I agree. As an older Gen-X'er, I have to say that many of the "assumptions" posted here may be truer of younger members of this generation. I get 37 paid vacation days per year, having worked for the same company (through two mergers!) for 20 years, and I am well compensated. My child's education is paid for and he is launched with job and mortgage of his own. 

For almost 10 years now I have had the time and wherewithal to take 3 vacations annually, at least 1 of which (and sometimes two) are cruises, none for less than 10 days (and most are not in the US).

And as ship wifi continues to improve, Gen-X and millennials know how to keep in touch with work while traveling -- we are used to it, it doesn't "ruin" our vacations...

(P.S.  Most marketers say Gen X'ers are also very brand loyal, once you've won their loyalty....)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

one things for sure. x ,knows how to stir the pot. got a group of people going good here. i always thought rewards tiers were silly as i read thousands of posts on this forum about people bragging and expecting superior service because of status. i think everyone on the ship deserves great service. i'm anti ad in general. go to lengths to avoid them so their ads wouldnt affect me but i guess the money proves ads must work and the sheep will follow who spends the most money otherwise no one would spend money. cant wrap my head around that mentality. i prefer to believe we are independent thinkers.  as far as brand loyalty, we are taught to switch cell/cable/electricity/gas etc etc suppliers when theres a better deal. consumer reports has proven staying loyal to your car insurance company is foolish as they raise rates if you stick with them longer. i dont see any point in being loyal to a cruise line. now if you like it, you like it thats fine. but i think loyalty tiers are probably a PITA for cruise like managers so they woudl be happy if they ever disappeared. but how do you get rid of something thats been engrained so much?

• Like 1

OMG with all the whining. This Gen X focus from Celebrity is on MARKETING. All the people posting here are already active Celebrity cruisers so this is kind of irrelevant to all of us. I am in the heart of Gen X but Celebrity will not be going hard for me in their marketing as they already have me as a regular customer. If I drift away for a couple years then yes, they will probably ramp up the marketing focus to me over a Boomer who has drifted away for a couple years. But none of us here are in that situation so not sure why people are acting like the sky is falling. It's not like they are banning people from traveling on the cruise line if they are over 57.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Pinboy said:

I guess we have a different sense of humor ?  

Perhaps you noticed my comments were not directed at anyone in particular and I would never make fun of anyone.

A Leafs fan by any chance ?

4 hours ago, Pinboy said:

In my post I said " For a little humor " --- no intention to offend anyone , nor would I. 

LOL--- What did you say about screen names ???? 

Nothing wrong with sharing your own personal experiences and nothing wrong with you making fun of yourself. Hopefully you didn't get offended by those having a goodtime at your expense.  🤣

Edited by davekathy

14 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Hopefully you didn't get offended by those having a goodtime at your expense.  🤣

LOL--No bad feelings toward anyone.

However, not so sure they were having a  " good time ", more like giving me a " butt kicking ".

I was just having a little fun with observations we have all seen over the years on cruises.

Actually, I really miss the great times we had cruising and as I've mentioned many times , I hope to meet many CCers on future cruises. 

2 hours ago, Baron Barracuda said:

Might be coincidence but in 2014 RCL rolled out it's double-double program which set goals of doubling earnings in just 3 years and achieving double digit return on capital.  They hit those targets and paid out $80 million in bonuses.  Growing earnings at the Royal division was aided by the addition of four mega-ships but X received no new ships.  Therefore the only way X could improve performance was through fare increases and expense cuts.  That's when LLP took a machete to the business.

Bingo. The double/double program was when Celebrity started the downturn away from the old standard.  There were a lot of threads about it at the time.  I had forgotten about it until you reminded me.  It was no coincidence. 

22 hours ago, LGW59 said:

I am truly asking honest questions here.  If one has sailed for X number of years on Celebrity, and enjoyed those cruises, that is wonderful.  How does the decision to market to another demographic change the wonderful cruises you have had?  I get the upset with AI, well sort of, but how is that changing our experience?  Many, though not all, of the posts seem to be directed personally against the younger demographic.  Specifically, I have cruised this way for x number of years and how dare you change it on me now.  I don't get it.  I am a boomer, welcome many diverse demos on the ship, for me, makes it an even better experience.  No need to answer, there will be too many who are mad at me, or a few who agree with me, just saying what I am thinking.  There is room for all...

I'm not against having a younger demographic on board and they can market to whoever they please.  I enjoy making friends in all age ranges.  I do object to the current pricing plan.  So, we shall see what they come up with.  I've just barely got my money back from all my Celebrity cancelled cruises this year.  Still waiting for a refund from the MSC YC one.  I am not booking anything until things settle down.  I have other travel alternatives.  Tired of giving my money to the cruiselines and then fighting to get it back.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Baron Barracuda said:

Working folks receive a limited number of vacation days each year so  If X is serious about focusing on younger cruisers they will likely have to shorten most sailings to 7 nights or less.   That would be a shame as we have always enjoyed longer itineraries.  Really miss the 14 night Southern Caribbean sailings they used to offer on Eclipse.

Ditto.  I did three of those.  Loved them!  I hate 7-night cruises.  You just get comfortably settled and it's time to get off.  Maybe we need to find a cruiseline that will cater to those of us with time to cruise and money to spend on cruising.

• Like 1

Bottom line, whether it's a tramp steamer freighting cargo around the Pacific, the African Queen wandering rivers in the Congo, or the Reflection visiting Scandinavian ports in the North Sea, If I want to go I'm going to go, whether personally solicited or not. I will gladly be welcomed aboard and treated with the respect I deserve. It matters not who or what age my fellow passengers are. Although, I will say it would have been very nice to sail with Captain Bogart and First Officer Hepburn. Or, Captain Hepburn and First Officer Bogart, if I'm being politically correct.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I could no care less at which age group X is directing it´s marketing- I am Generation X- when I first sailed X - now almost twenty years ago- I was in my early 30´s and among the younger bunch on board- and enjoyed every minute on board. Not once did I feel " out of place"!

What I couldn´t brave even back then where does Party ships -  very popular even 20 years back.

I haven´t booked anything up to September 2021- I wait and see what happens in 2021- it is not that at turn of the years- the " Capther Covid" is closed, over and done with!

• Thanks 1

I've identified the market that Celebrity is targeting with this new pricing structure.  They really are not favoring one age group over another, as others have pointed out that just wouldn't be smart.  It really is a simple target market.  At these prices Celebrity is targeting people with more money than brains

Perhaps they will be successful with new cruisers but they will lose experienced and educated veterans. 

Good Luck Celebrity 

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, ipeeinthepool said:

I've identified the market that Celebrity is targeting with this new pricing structure.  They really are not favoring one age group over another, as others have pointed out that just wouldn't be smart.  It really is a simple target market.  At these prices Celebrity is targeting people with more money than brains

Perhaps they will be successful with new cruisers but they will lose experienced and educated veterans. 

Good Luck Celebrity 

The marketing people convinced Celebrity that it can market itself as a Luxury cruise line (Like Regent and Silversea) if it kept everything the same but forced everyone to buy three "amenities" by increasing the cruise fares to include the price of the amenities. Yes, they really do think we are that stupid.

1 hour ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Good Luck Celebrity 

Funny- many of us would choose money over brains I think.😀😀

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, basenji56 said:

126025660_10225623760481110_485405191983791452_n.jpg?_nc_cat=102&ccb=2&_nc_sid=dbeb18&_nc_ohc=KAqtxjG699wAX91xeh4&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-2.xx&oh=a6965a613ea3a70574e553217656ce96&oe=5FD8D471

A marketer actually sold that line to X??  We choose to sail Celebrity for what it offers and fits with our enjoyment;  however, at no time do we think we need to CULINARY explore, experience HOLISTIC wellness, or become more FULFILLED, CURIOUS, AND OPEN as a result of sailing with them.  And it's ONLY AVAILABLE ON CELEBRITY???  huh??

Whichever poster said they're keeping everything exactly the same but charging more is spot on.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Oceangoer2 said:

need to CULINARY explore, experience HOLISTIC wellness , and become more FULFILLED, CURIOUS, AND OPEN ,  

LOL---- That's what I've been told I needed for " Years "  !!!  But, I don't know what the h--l it means ? 

Sounds like I might not get to meet so many of you after all. 

Edited by Pinboy
spelling mistake

3 hours ago, basenji56 said:

The marketing people convinced Celebrity that it can market itself as a Luxury cruise line (Like Regent and Silversea) if it kept everything the same but forced everyone to buy three "amenities" by increasing the cruise fares to include the price of the amenities. Yes, they really do think we are that stupid.

Regent and Silversea are luxury - no way that X is that (or will ever be) as it is two steps up and they know that. X wants to poach the Viking Ocean crowd (Premium) that is looking for a big boat experience (big shows, multiple specialty restaurants etc) but can retreat to their own private area.  X has Azamara for those looking at a smaller ship experience

Most pax would don't know what lines are slotted where by pecking order.  No one wants to be HAL these days - price driven, older, non revenue producing pax. Why try to slog it out with Princess for the same customer ?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Oceangoer2 said:

A marketer actually sold that line to X??  We choose to sail Celebrity for what it offers and fits with our enjoyment;  however, at no time do we think we need to CULINARY explore, experience HOLISTIC wellness, or become more FULFILLED, CURIOUS, AND OPEN as a result of sailing with them.  And it's ONLY AVAILABLE ON CELEBRITY???  huh??

Whichever poster said they're keeping everything exactly the same but charging more is spot on.

Ever sat in a marketing presentation?  These are common words, but that doesnt mean that is the marketing plan.  Simplified it means, they want to have a variety of food options, like to use the spa for more than a massage and want to come back if the value proposition is fulfilled

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, tfred said:

Regent and Silversea are luxury - no way that X is that (or will ever be) as it is two steps up and they know that. X wants to poach the Viking Ocean crowd (Premium) that is looking for a big boat experience (big shows, multiple specialty restaurants etc) but can retreat to their own private area.  X has Azamara for those looking at a smaller ship experience

Most pax would don't know what lines are slotted where by pecking order.  No one wants to be HAL these days - price driven, older, non revenue producing pax. Why try to slog it out with Princess for the same customer ?

I sure wish Celebrity went back to buying shows rather than creating them in house.  I walk out on half of those shows. All they are is a bunch of modern pop songs strung together into something they call a show.  No real narrative.    

• Like 2

Celebrity has been wanting to enter the luxury market for years In fact, the planning of the design for the Edge class was based on attracting a "luxury crowd". The fact that they are trying to appeal to a younger crowd is also not new. Remember the DJs and complaints about the level of "noise" on the M Class ships?  What is new is their apparent move to all-inclusive and perhaps a redefinition of the Captain's Club program which I might learn more about tomorrow. We all see things through our own filters, but for me it is a major misanalysis of their consumer base that will come back to bite them. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

We'll that's probably a good question.  But if you what luxury passengers you need to change the product, not just the marketing.

i think the thing is luxury means different things to different generations.

There is overlap, but I think there are significant differences.

kind of like how airlines for a while have been unbundling first class and business class.  people may be willing to pay for the physical seat, but find the extraneous "luxury" service overpriced.

Edited by UnorigionalName