Just in case anyone had doubts about whom Celebrity are targeting with their "Always Included" &" New Luxury" branding

AtlantaCruiser72

9 minutes ago, markeb said:

That’s great, and I’m the same, but you can’t apply that if you’re targeting first timers. They probably won’t commit on your marketing, but hopefully they’ll follow up with family, friends, etc. But not that!

Oh, I know.

But this isn’t the first time that X has missed the mark with marketing, and it probably won’t be the last. We've been through this before.

Hopefully X will have some success with this current “metamorphosis”. I wish them luck.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, basenji56 said:

https://www.travelmarketreport.com/articles/What-Advisors-Need-to-Know-About-Celebritys-New-All-Inclusive-Fares

Celebrity built the new fares with the help of an outside consulting agency that helped them reaffirm what they already knew about their brand.

“We made the decision when we had to take this pause way back in March and April to use the time to get an outside consultant and really figure out where we should be, what we should be doing differently, who should we be marketing to, etc.” Ritzenthaler said.

“Usually we don’t have time to do these things. We hired a consultant and did a lot of things that validated what we already knew. We want the comeback to be stronger than the setback.”

Advisor commissions
Non-commissionable fare components have long been a thorn-in-the-side for travel advisors everywhere. With the new fares, Celebrity is now giving advisors the opportunity to earn commission on items that they were never able to before.

“It was absolutely a factor in the decision,” Ritzenthaler said. “Because we absolutely have the success of travel advisors as one of our pillars.”

“The customer loves it because it gives them choice, the advisor loves it because of what it does for the customer and because it’s financially better for them, and we love it because we get it right for both of those groups.”

With the new fares, Celebrity advisors will now be able to earn commission on tips, WiFi, and beverage packages, onboard credit, and shorex credit, depending on what package that client books, something that was never available before.

The link provided provided some insight into the "logic" behind the move. However, there was one quote which caught my attention:

“We’re really proud of the demand that we are generating for 2021 but obviously we want to keep our pedal to metal doing everything we can to keep to bookings coming in,” Ritzenthaler said.

I am convinced they are delusional.  The demand was artificially generated by offering FCC's at 125% of booking value, and then bumping the price to offset the FCC value. It is a game of smoke and mirrors.  These new prices should slow things down.

27 minutes ago, C-Dragons said:

Oh, I know.

But this isn’t the first time that X has missed the mark with marketing, and it probably won’t be the last. We've been through this before.

Hopefully X will have some success with this current “metamorphosis”. I wish them luck.

Over the past few years they have made so many changes and they probably don't have a clear understanding of which changes worked and which ones didn't

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MarinerBoy said:

Working folks? What is this the 1960s? Working class is long gone, millennial and gen-zs are entrepreneurs. Most of us make money online, social media, video gaming, streaming, drop boxing, owning business.. nonone works 9 to 5, people have freedom and flexibility. Oh and more money than any other generation, we can go on vacations as we please.. take a look what Virgin is doing and Celebrity is following suit. Younger people are richer and have more free time than ever in our history.

Must be a lot of child labour happening on the west coast, as Gen z is the youngest cohort, born between 1997 and 2015- most are still in their childhood and the leading edge is just reaching adulthood.

However, the Millennial cohort does have a higher median household income by about 33% than the genX and boomer cohorts; however, the debt load of the millennial cohort is significantly higher. I would propose that the relative relationship between the cohorts as to who is "richer" is not as large as you are suggesting.

If you want to check my facts...  https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/millennials-income-statistics-canada-1.5106460

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ScubesDad said:

Must be a lot of child labour happening on the west coast, as Gen z is the youngest cohort, born between 1997 and 2015- most are still in their childhood and the leading edge is just reaching adulthood.

However, the Millennial cohort does have a higher median household income by about 33% than the genX and boomer cohorts; however, the debt load of the millennial cohort is significantly higher. I would propose that the relative relationship between the cohorts as to who is "richer" is not as large as you are suggesting.

If you want to check my facts...  https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/millennials-income-statistics-canada-1.5106460

This article is over 1 1/2 years old, I’m guessing things have changed by now, and not for the better.

Pandemic is now in the 9th month.  I miss my former life. When restaurants were closed, people said when they reopen there will crowds. That did not happen. Now with covid increasing, restaurants are closing for inside dining again. Oh well. I’ve gotten used to cooking and even like it. Who knew that the highlight of my day could be making dinner. Trying new recipes and actually finding it fun to cook.  Before the pandemic, I was too busy to cook. Now with lots of time, I enjoy cooking.  When cruising stopped, lots of people said that they would jump onboard as soon as allowed.   I’ll bet that won’t happen so quickly. There will be fewer people traveling.  Not fun cruising worrying about getting sick.  I dream of traveling again. Not rushing to get out there until very safe.

I think that some people are living in a bubble.  Most of the young people see are working 9/5 or more hours.  Yes, there are a lot of techies, but I think that they are the exception. People stringing together various gigs while driving Uber.  I think most working people are still dependent on 2-3 weeks of vacation a year.  Not to mention the young people with kids who are even more limited.  

• Like 1

On 11/14/2020 at 5:07 PM, poffles said:

l will be curious where the prices land with this.  Doing true cost comparisons might become easier for all the pre/post promotions they have week to week (this one includes this, this one includes that, this one includes all, this one includes none) but they might soon 'always' be very highly priced.  I do tend to always opt for booking when the drink perk is included but I have never wanted Wi-Fi but I guess now that will be 'included' in the cost.  And I am not naïve to the fact that the 'free perk(s)' of yester days have not been free.  Nor am I their 'ideal guest' 🙂

Not sure if all this detail is elsewhere on CC (sorry if repeat) but here is an interesting read on this:

https://cruisetipstv.com/celebrity-cruises-unveils-always-included/

I checked the prices on some cruises under the new all inclusive that we don't want.

Prices are too Damn High.

It certainly is not me.  I just got banned from sailing on any celebrity or Royal branded ship for contravention of their guest conduct policy and I’m not even on a ship.  It seems they do not like my Who is aboard thread and reaching out to staff members dating back over a decade.

1 hour ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Celebrity could not be more clear in their target audience.

image.thumb.png.cb1c2368374641c064f76ae7456f4ba0.png

I will be 73 in a couple of months and both my parents grew up during the depression.  I learned waste not want not.  Value is what I look for in cruising.  I don't want perks.  We love Celebrity, but if Royal C. is a better value with the ports we want, we will go with Royal.

3 minutes ago, Arno. said:

It certainly is not me.  I just got banned from sailing on any celebrity or Royal branded ship for contravention of their guest conduct policy and I’m not even on a ship.  It seems they do not like my Who is aboard thread and reaching out to staff members dating back over a decade.

Whaaaaat??  didn't know there was a guest policy that I could ban me if I contravened it.  Also never saw your 'Who is aboard' thread so it couldn't have been that bad or most of us would have seen it along with the many pages attached to a bannable thread.  What did you say?  and how long are you banned for?  or are you pulling my leg, so to speak....!

Edited by Oceangoer2
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Arno. said:

??? You have been banned by Celebrity and Royal? For saying what? 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Arno. said:

I hear the Love Boat song in your future

43 minutes ago, basenji56 said:

I think that some people are living in a bubble.  Most of the young people see are working 9/5 or more hours.  Yes, there are a lot of techies, but I think that they are the exception. People stringing together various gigs while driving Uber.  I think most working people are still dependent on 2-3 weeks of vacation a year.  Not to mention the young people with kids who are even more limited.  

And many are still living in parents basement (I have 2).

1 hour ago, basenji56 said:

In all honestly I am a little confused on this comment. Most companies now offer more than 2-3 weeks of vacation a year and yes many “young” people work countless hours. But that is what we are used to and it doesn’t bother us.  

also I don’t think that many “young” people who are stringing together multiple jobs are going on X cruises. I think the folks that are going on Celebrity cruises are young professionals who love to spend money when they are vacations. 

On 11/15/2020 at 8:45 PM, Shadow9612 said:

Exactly. 

I don't mind Celebrity marketing to whomever they would like. I just wish they wouldn't dilute the  Captain club loyalty benefits.

2 hours ago, ScubesDad said:

The thing is Celebrity doesnt want or care about the "average or normal" the median 55k salary people, those people arent even on their radar and neither are they on mine. I am talking about the creme the le crop 10% of the elite Millennials, who obtain wealth through inheritance, family money, trust funds, tech startups, entrepreneurs. There are millions of these guys, millions of them around the world. Way more than enough to fill every Celebrity ship everyday for the rest of eternity and then some.

It doesnt matter how these kids got their money, fact is they have it. Look around you, see teenagers in high end cars? Girls on instagram with designer purses? People flying first class to Maldives, yep all kids, all youth. All social media is youth because social media shows you what typical life is like, and everyday life of a mellenial is splendid, spectacular, right out of a move. So dont be fooled by what the media is saying that kids are broke, or have debt, or working at gas stations, that is not at all what life is like in the big cities. New York, LA, Vancouver - these are mega rich powerful cities filled with rich kids. This is what Celebrity wants.

Keep in mind its not cool or hip to have 80+ year people in wheel chairs on pamphlets of cruise flyers. You never see older people on social media, because they are not relevant - companies like Celebrity understand this fact. Its not cool to be barely alive as a senior , cruising isnt about seniors anymore, its about adventure. Celebrity is marketing cruising as an adventure for social media followers, these are young people - we need alcohol, we need adventure hikes, we need mingling, we need make out spots, we need debauchery - we are taking over the cruise industry. I feel so good about that, and we are going to push all these seniors out, let them find some other way to travel. 

Edited by MarinerBoy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Arno. said:

It seems they do not like my Who is aboard thread and reaching out to staff members dating back over a decade.

Did they say specifically what part of the Guest Conduct Policy you violated?   I always appreciated the information in the Who is aboard threads.   Many guests have long term friendships with staff.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, MarinerBoy said:

The thing is Celebrity doesnt want or care about the "average or normal" the median 55k salary people, those people arent even on their radar and neither are they on mine. I am talking about the creme the le crop 10% of the elite Millennials, who obtain wealth through inheritance, family money, trust funds, tech startups, entrepreneurs. There are millions of these guys, millions of them around the world. Way more than enough to fill every Celebrity ship everyday for the rest of eternity and then some.

It doesnt matter how these kids got their money, fact is they have it. Look around you, see teenagers in high end cars? Girls on instagram with designer purses? People flying first class to Maldives, yep all kids, all youth. All social media is youth because social media shows you what typical life is like, and everyday life of a mellenial is splendid, spectacular, right out of a move. So dont be fooled by what the media is saying that kids are broke, or have debt, or working at gas stations, that is not at all what life is like in the big cities. New York, LA, Vancouver - these are mega rich powerful cities filled with rich kids. This is what Celebrity wants.

Keep in mind its not cool or hip to have 80+ year people in wheel chairs on pamphlets of cruise flyers. You never see older people on social media, because they are not relevant - companies like Celebrity understand this fact. Its not cool to be barely alive as a senior , cruising isnt about seniors anymore, its about adventure. Celebrity is marketing cruising as an adventure for social media followers, these are young people - we need alcohol, we need adventure hikes, we need mingling, we need make out spots, we need debauchery - we are taking over the cruise industry. I feel so good about that, and we are going to push all these seniors out, let them find some other way to travel. 

If they have all the money, and time, you say, the smart ones aren’t going to stoop down to the level of going on a mass market, run of the mill cruise line. The switch from the common people to the wet behind the ears snobs, would take too long, and it would be too embarrassing to their egos. From what I read, the only thing you are taking over is your parent’s basement and any entry level job you can find.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

ummmm...

just so everyone's on the same page.  We do realize right?

Gen X = ~40-55 yrs old

Millenials = ~25-40 yrs old

The youngest millenials are well graduated from college.  There are plenty of professionals in these age groups with plenty of spending power...  Pretty sure at 50 years old you don't have to be a trust fund kid to afford a celebrity cruise...

This thread got me wondering about if loyalty differs by generations or just older generations have had more time to build up to a status with cruises/resorts.

I know a lot of people my age (millennial) who do cruise, and apart from our Carnival loving friends from Florida, none of us have a cruise line we are loyal to. We have all sailed about 3-5 different lines each and have been happy with our choices. Some of us are UK and some of us are US. I even sought out a cruise line I couldn't book with in many UK channels (P&O Oz) and booked over the web because the price was so good. Totally worth the cruise hunting!

It begs the question that if lines like X are annoying their status accrued/older cruisers...are they planning to make enough money from the flitting cruisers that go by price and whats on offer that year?

Some industries make a lot of money from one time purchases.

Just a thought.

47 minutes ago, MarinerBoy said:

This is the demographic that Virgin Voyages is after.  I just don't see them being interested in Celebrity.  

1 hour ago, Dsciorti said:

In all honestly I am a little confused on this comment. Most companies now offer more than 2-3 weeks of vacation a year and yes many “young” people work countless hours. But that is what we are used to and it doesn’t bother us.  

also I don’t think that many “young” people who are stringing together multiple jobs are going on X cruises. I think the folks that are going on Celebrity cruises are young professionals who love to spend money when they are vacations. 

Yes, I think you are right.  Young professionals without kids.  But, I think these people are more interested in Virgin Voyages.  Those with less money are interested in Carnival.

8 hours ago, UnorigionalName said:

i think the thing is luxury means different things to different generations.

There is overlap, but I think there are significant differences.

kind of like how airlines for a while have been unbundling first class and business class.  people may be willing to pay for the physical seat, but find the extraneous "luxury" service overpriced.

Maybe you haven't flown lately.  You don't get anything extra in first class any more except a somewhat larger seat.  Oh, and booze.  I don't drink.  No food.  So I've quit flying first class and moved to the premium economy seats a few rows back.  For a lot less money I get basically the same service.  Not quite as much seat.  Whatever.  Saving a lot of money.