New vaccine

hollyjess

Just now, terrierjohn said:

Don't forget Selbourne, "Lies, Damn lies and Statistics".

Don’t tell me that you are adopting the ‘alternative facts’ approach John. That didn’t end well for the last fella who used that tactic for four years 😉 

9 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Don't forget Selbourne, "Lies, Damn lies and Statistics".

6 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Don’t tell me that you are adopting the ‘alternative facts’ approach John. That didn’t end well for the last fella who used that tactic for four years 😉 

Statistics can be misleading.

For example, 5 out of 6 people think Russian roulette is perfectly safe.:classic_unsure:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, kalos said:

For example, 5 out of 6 people think Russian roulette is perfectly safe.:classic_unsure:

And one person in three is Chinese.  In our family, I'm pretty sure my brother, Ho Chi Ming may not be British!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

16 minutes ago, kalos said:

7 minutes ago, wowzz said:

And one person in three is Chinese.  In our family, I'm pretty sure my brother, Ho Chi Ming may not be British!

4 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

Always remember the wise words of Abraham Lincoln - 

87.41% of statistics on the internet are false

I rest my case, never rely on statistics to prove anything, common sense is much more intuitive.😇

Just got back from getting my jab, I booked on the NHS app yesterday and got a slot for 09:05 this morning. After reading some of the comments about who was now eligible it seems odd that I got straight on and could book my jab, I am 64. I have mild asthma which I believe isn't now recognised as a qualifying factor for underlying health, I also have high Ferritin and have recovered from cancer neither of which are on the list. I am assuming therefore that my age allowed me to book. I used the John Smith stadium hub and had the AZ jab, it was well organised and we were in and out in minutes, I was advised not to drive for 15 min but the nurse stated that by the time I got back to the car the 15min would be up. I thought I would check again on the app and again got straight in but got the message below. So the system is still working for me. I do know our area is well ahead with jabbing but I would be surprised if the app recognises that, unless the built in algorithm recognises post codes.

image.png.e204aa54e82b8b1a8229d5fd3be9b0f8.png

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

Just got back from getting my jab, I booked on the NHS app yesterday and got a slot for 09:05 this morning. After reading some of the comments about who was now eligible it seems odd that I got straight on and could book my jab, I am 64. I have mild asthma which I believe isn't now recognised as a qualifying factor for underlying health, I also have high Ferritin and have recovered from cancer neither of which are on the list. I am assuming therefore that my age allowed me to book. I used the John Smith stadium hub and had the AZ jab, it was well organised and we were in and out in minutes, I was advised not to drive for 15 min but the nurse stated that by the time I got back to the car the 15min would be up. I thought I would check again on the app and again got straight in but got the message below. So the system is still working for me. I do know our area is well ahead with jabbing but I would be surprised if the app recognises that, unless the built in algorithm recognises post codes.

Interestingly I am 61 and tried a dummy booking with my NHS number and DOB and quite rightly it says I am not currently eligible to book.

1 hour ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Well, I’m completely gobsmacked.

The GP surgery never contacted my Group 5 husband for a jab, so he had his done at a vaccination centre about 12 miles away, on Saturday.

This morning, I received a text from the GP, inviting me in for my jab, and I’m in group 7 !  There was a link on the text, and I’ve booked for Friday morning. It took about 30 seconds.

I’m in shock, I honestly thought I was going to have to wait until at least mid March. 

At the start of the year we both emailed the surgery with our full contact details. A few weeks ago, I received a text from the NHS about Covid testing available in our area, but my husband didn’t, so I’m wondering if they didn’t record his mobile number correctly. I’ll get him to email the details again just in case.

My husband has one advantage in that he already has his appointment for his 2nd jab. As I’m now going by the GP route, I understand I’ll get my 2nd appointment later.

I’m feeling pleased.... but rather stunned 

Great news Dermotsgirl.

Pleased to hear that more and more people in group 7 are successfully making bookings and getting jabbed. My wife and I are in group 6. I’ve tried online again this morning and it still says that we are not yet eligible. I appreciate that Simon Stevens said yesterday that group 6 will be dealt with by GP surgeries but it seems wrong that we don’t at least have the option to make online bookings if we are willing and able to travel to a vaccination hub in order to get the jab sooner. 

• Like 4

Just now, Selbourne said:

Pleased to hear that more and more people in group 7 are successfully making bookings and getting jabbed. My wife and I are in group 6. I’ve tried online again this morning and it still says that we are not yet eligible. I appreciate that Simon Stevens said yesterday that group 6 will be dealt with by GP surgeries but it seems wrong that we don’t at least have the option to make online bookings if we are willing and able to travel to a vaccination hub in order to get the jab sooner. 

Which is exactly what I thought yesterday, there are clearly issues with some people who can't travel getting jabbed locally, this should ease as the younger groups are becoming eligible.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

Pleased for you Phil.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

My daughter (group 6) has tried again this morning, with no luck either.

• Like 1

Good luck to those getting jabs. It is a postcode lottery, no doubt about it.

As Selbourne states it is wrong that people who are willing to travel are having to wait for their for their GP surgery, it should be available online. I am surprised the media haven't made an issue of it, they like a story.

Edited by bobstheboy
Typo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dermotsgirl said:

The GP surgery never contacted my Group 5 husband for a jab, so he had his done at a vaccination centre about 12 miles away, on Saturday.

This morning, I received a text from the GP, inviting me in for my jab, and I’m in group 7 !  There was a link on the text, and I’ve booked for Friday morning. It took about 30 seconds.

I’m in shock, I honestly thought I was going to have to wait until at least mid March. 

At the start of the year we both emailed the surgery with our full contact details. A few weeks ago, I received a text from the NHS about Covid testing available in our area, but my husband didn’t, so I’m wondering if they didn’t record his mobile number correctly. I’ll get him to email the details again just in case.

My husband has one advantage in that he already has his appointment for his 2nd jab. As I’m now going by the GP route, I understand I’ll get my 2nd appointment later.

Brilliant news, Dermotsgirl. Well done!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bobstheboy said:

Good luck to those betting jabs. It is a postcode lottery, no doubt about it.

As Selbourne states it is wrong that people who are willing to travel are having to wait for their for their GP surgery, it should be available online. I am surprised the media haven't made an issue of it, they like a story.

The odd thing is that our county is running ahead of the national average in so far as vaccinations go and we have a very good GP surgery, but something has clearly gone wrong when those in group 7 (which has officially not started yet) are getting called up in large numbers when those in group 6 (which has started and is deemed to be a greater priority) cannot even make a booking. 

• Like 6

47 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Yes I was puzzled and concerned by the statement that Group 6 would be handled locally by the GP surgeries. It's great news for those whose surgery has been proactive and at the forefront of getting jabs done in the previous at risk groups, either as individuals surgeries or as part of a group.

I am not affected directly but I feel for those who are registered with practices who have been somewhat lax in their duties to their patients. As has already been noted, it must make sense to allow those in Group 6 who are able and willing to travel to have access to the general hub system. Hopefully it will be sorted soon.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Good news.  I too am in group 7, but have heard nothing.

• Like 1

Just for information only ... 

Last week to the day I got a text inviting me to book a covid jab ,which I did

and had on the last Friday .All done through the Drs hub under group 6.

Yesterday I also got a NHS letter inviting me to book at one of the larger Hubs

such as Sheffield arena , John Smiths stadium and a few more but I have

disposed of it as no need for it . Unless they have suddenly stopped the offer

of the bigger venues, some of you could still get both options sent to you .

17 minutes ago, arlowood said:

Yes I was puzzled and concerned by the statement that Group 6 would be handled locally by the GP surgeries. It's great news for those whose surgery has been proactive and at the forefront of getting jabs done in the previous at risk groups, either as individuals surgeries or as part of a group.

I am not affected directly but I feel for those who are registered with practices who have been somewhat lax in their duties to their patients. As has already been noted, it must make sense to allow those in Group 6 who are able and willing to travel to have access to the general hub system. Hopefully it will be sorted soon.

Plus it's a nonsense that group 6 are being handled locally because "their GPs understand their problems" (to paraphrase one of the experts at last night's press briefing) - in our area, and most I would imagine, a lot of practices are teaming up to do these vaccinations in one GP hub, often miles away, where the chance of seeing anyone who you've ever seen before in your life, let alone has any idea about your condition, must be just about zero.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yorkshirephil said:

I am group 5.

Tried before I got the letter, and the nearest offered locations would involve a 90 mile round trip, so I did not make any booking.

Tried after I got the letter, and received the above message - still only offering places a long way away. So I still have not made a booking.

Then found that the local NHS trust has updated their website stating that groups 5 and 6 are being vaccinated but must wait to be contacted by the GP- so looks like our local centres are not being made available on the main booking site.

• Like 1

Thought I'd try again....

The NHS website is currently experiencing technical difficulties.

We are working to resolve these issues. Thank you for your patience.

If you urgently need medical help or advice but it's not a life-threatening situation, call 111 free from any phone to speak to an NHS adviser. The 24-hour NHS 111 service can give you healthcare advice or direct you to the local service that can help you best.