Mandatory that Doc is on board!

USCcruisecrazy

The Cruise Passenger Protection Act was updated (if the Bill becomes Law) making it mandatory that cruise ships originating their cruise from a US Port have a certified Doctor on board.  The last time the Cruise Passenger Protection Act was updated in 2010 it only required that a Registered Nurse be on board.  I imagine this is a reaction to the COVID-19 situation.  Thoughts?? 

• Like 1

Having had to visit the medical center on a Princess cruise,  we learned that there were multiple doctors.  My wife was treated by an MD, but not the "Senior Doctor" identified in the list of Ship's Officers.  It was a "Well, duh" moment.  With 3,000 passengers and 1100 (or whatever the number is) crew and officers to care for, it would be reckless to have a "single point of failure."

There are several small lines and river cruises in the US that may be impacted. I know on my river cruises in Europe a doctor was not on the ship. I am thinking the lines that maybe affected would be American Curise lines, Pearl Seas cruises, Viking River cruises (when they start sailing in the US), American Queen Steamboat company, etc...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, USCcruisecrazy said:

Me neither...but this is across the board for all cruises originating from a US Port.

The IMO requires a medical doctor onboard any ship that carries more than 100 people (pax or crew), and engages in a voyage of more than 3 days.  This has been a requirement for years.  Also, not quite sure of the legality of this "law" on foreign flag ships under maritime law.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Potstech said:

If they want to sail out of a US port when allowed they will meet the requirements. Otherwise no permission to dock would be given by the ports. Do not see anyway around it initialy.

For the most part, a "port state's" jurisdiction only extends while the ship is in the waters of the port state.  And, in common maritime law, the port state's jurisdiction is only applied to actions "outside" the ship (like taxes and customs duties, as these are international commerce), or if the "security or well being" of the port state is threatened, while in port.  While this may pass into law, and as you say it may become a requirement to clear for entry into the US, I have my doubts that it would hold up to a legal challenge in the courts, under maritime law.  In particular the part where the US government decides how many medical staff are required.  As a signatory to the IMO, the US has agreed that foreign ships calling in the US need only meet the international standards set by the IMO, and can only enforce those standards.  The IMO allows member nations to pass stricter requirements, but these will only apply to ships that fly that member nation's flag.  I.e., there are two sets of USCG regulations, one for foreign flag ships (SOLAS, MARPOL, etc) and one for US flag ships (which tend to be stricter).

• Like 2

I never imagined that there wouldn't be a medical doctor (MD not provider as in NP or PA) onboard!! I understand that we have learned to zoom / Skype / FaceTime for consults but I'm just a little stunned that MDs on duty onboard at all times wasn't the norm

Edited by Ombud

Its not just having a doctor on board, its also having good up-to-date medical equipment.  Forty-five minutes on a stationary bike on a Transatlantic trigger Afib...  Went to the medical center to confirm and the first EKG machine was inoperable.  The second one worked - but a very dated machine.  In another case my wife dislocated her knee falling on a wet deck - no warnings posted.  Nothing available to stabilize the knee except a hip to foot plaster cast.  Very dated medical practices.

2 hours ago, Coral said:

There are several small lines and river cruises in the US that may be impacted. I know on my river cruises in Europe a doctor was not on the ship. I am thinking the lines that maybe affected would be American Curise lines, Pearl Seas cruises, Viking River cruises (when they start sailing in the US), American Queen Steamboat company, etc...

Makes sense.  A river cruise has many more alternatives avbl than a ship far out at sea.

1 hour ago, Ombud said:

I never imagined that there wouldn't be a medical doctor (MD not provider as in NP or PA) onboard!! I understand that we have learned to zoom / Skype / FaceTime for consults but I'm just a little stunned that MDs on duty onboard at all times wasn't the norm

Like you, I always assumed the medical staff included at .least one doctor. 

3 hours ago, memoak said:

I have never been on a Princess cruise where there has not been a doctor 

Same here and I have done Princess and other cruises worldwide from North American, Australian and European ports. I always thought it was mandatory to have a medical doctor on board. Princess ships general carry 2 doctors and 3 or 4 nursing staff.

Edited by NSWP

10 minutes ago, LawDog61 said:

I am pretty sure that Princess and all CCL brands view medical as a profit center.   They are usually pretty busy, price charged directly to your cruise account.

Oh yeah, they charge well, I have had a few visits down to the medical centre.  I have always found the staff, Drs and Nurses very good.

Edited by NSWP

1 hour ago, Tak8 said:

Growing up with The Love Boat, I assumed all cruise ships had a doctor on board.   Maybe not one that mingled as much with the female passengers as Dr. Bricker, but still on board.

that’s what I was thinking. Just don’t require a gopher. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, USCcruisecrazy said:

The Cruise Passenger Protection Act was updated (if the Bill becomes Law) making it mandatory that cruise ships originating their cruise from a US Port have a certified Doctor on board.  The last time the Cruise Passenger Protection Act was updated in 2010 it only required that a Registered Nurse be on board.  I imagine this is a reaction to the COVID-19 situation.  Thoughts?? 

Don't think that there is anything new here. Princess has doctors onboard their ships. 

Royal Princess in February of this year had 3 doctors, basically one for each shift. They overlapped hours, and a few times I saw them working concurrently.

Dr. Timothy Platt was the senior doctor, and was from South Africa. (He was quite excellent when he took care of me!)

---

Edited by RSS from SF
  • Like 1

At the same time, Royal Princess had at least 3 nurses manning the medical center, one for each shift, in addition to someone who was perhaps a nursing assistant who did intake in addition to other duties.

Princess ships have two doctors on board with the possible exception of the Pacific. They handle both passengers and crew. No matter how the laws are written Princess already is in compliance. For information the doctors are in a corporation pool and may be assigned to any Carnival Corp. ship.