Chair hogs!

One of my favorite topics! 😄

Chair hogs abound, but no one ever admits to doing it!

The pandemic has caused a sea change (pun intended) in cruising. I think ships will be somewhat less crowded for the foreseeable future so hogging may be less of an issue.

I've never had any issue with chair hogs, unlike those reprobates who won't dress up for formal night. 🤣😂

Chair hogs are excellent early morning entertainment for me. I'm walking the track NLT 6:00 AM and walk until 7:30 AM. I have a birds eye view of the chair hogs quest on the pool deck still in their PJs with bed hair/head carrying arm loads of towels they secured the day before. Scouring around strategically moving lounge chairs and marking their territory with their towels. Then they slip away. On occasion I've seen pool attendant's remove towels that early in the morning and rearrange the lounge chairs. I'll whistle down to them and give them a big smile and two thumbs up.👍 🤣👍

• Like 5

47 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Chair hogs are excellent early morning entertainment for me. I'm walking the track NLT 6:00 AM and walk until 7:30 AM. I have a birds eye view of the chair hogs quest on the pool deck still in their PJs with bed hair/head carrying arm loads of towels they secured the day before. Scouring around strategically moving lounge chairs and marking their territory with their towels. Then they slip away. On occasion I've seen pool attendant's remove towels that early in the morning and rearrange the lounge chairs. I'll whistle down to them and give them a big smile and two thumbs up.👍 🤣👍

So funny!  I enjoy the "show" from up in the VCL looking down at the pool deck early in the morning.  Collecting my morning Latte and Bucky's wicked strong coffee, I check it out before I go to the cabin.  

Funny also to see them darting their eyes around to see if anyone is watching them.  Like it's not obvious.  😜

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

Better then the Hot Tub, "People Soup" haven't been in one myself since 80's

Ewww...agree there!  I also call it "bacteria soup".   I never use the hot tubs or pool on the ships.  

No problem with chair hogs for me....I keep my private reserved chair open for myself at all times...it's on my balcony. 😉   

• Like 4

On 1/14/2021 at 3:51 PM, vacationlover_mn said:

How much do you miss this topic?  I am so looking forward to seeing awesome chair hogging photos in the future 🙂  sigh

Last year on Oasis, there was a chair with a towel on it, and no person, for over an hour.  I took it, and an hour later, a mean german lady came and yelled at me about taking her chair.  Those were the days 🙂  The funny thing is that it was right behind a  "you can't reserve a chair" sign.

I never have a problem for the simple reason that I have yet to enter a ship pool.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/17/2021 at 12:36 PM, neverbeenhere said:

When cruising returns chair hogs will not be an issue, three coughs and the chairs will empty.

Cruising will return before before COVID completely is gone. Chairs will still be set up for social distancing, which means fewer chairs in total. Social distancing will not prevent chair hogs from doing their thing.

4 hours ago, VegasVic14 said:

Cruising will return before before COVID completely is gone. Chairs will still be set up for social distancing, which means fewer chairs in total. Social distancing will not prevent chair hogs from doing their thing.

But wearing masks and not being able to have a drink while sitting in the lounge chair will. I would be more worried about the bar stools being hogged.

A few years ago RCI started taking this a bit more serious on some of their ships. The pool staff was putting stickers on the bottom of pool loungers with the time written on them and after about an hour or so would remove towels and leaving any random article at the pool towel station. NICE :classic_biggrin:

• Like 2

I always find this topic funny.  I guess I just don't understand why it's such a freaking big deal to have a chair right next to the pool.  Are they afraid it's going to get full before they can get in it?  Once there are they going to wave their arms around in the water and say "Excuse me, but I'm saving this section of the pool for my friends/family members!"?  Do they think people are going to think they are special because they got a seat next to the pool?  Are they so incredibly lazy/drunk that they need to be close to the pool?  I would think it would be among the worst places to sit because so many people would have to go by your chair on the way to or from the pool.  "Excuse me, but you're dripping on my feet."  Ewww....

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Teeara said:

I always find this topic funny.  I guess I just don't understand why it's such a freaking big deal to have a chair right next to the pool.  

My ideal space is where I can get away from the noise around the pool area. The more people that want to be by the pool, the less competition for me to find a spot that I want.

• Like 3

Speaking with a old business friend from Squires last night, and somehow ended up discussing this.  His reaction to Hogs was to leave all the “reserving” articles, personal or otherwise, on the bed, then he and his wife lifted the required number of hogged beds, placing them well behind, replacing the removed beds with new ones for them.  The personal items were not touched.

As he said, beds may have been “reserved” but not their position.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On our Celebrity Equinox cruise last January, I noticed that the chair jogs have expanded their reach. I know seats are at a premium at Cafe Al’Baccio but ......

BC5D2937-9320-445B-85AA-F7B282F77E8C.jpeg

I waited about ten minutes, moved the towel, and sat down. 

mac_tlc

Edited by mac_tlc
  • Haha 1

On 1/17/2021 at 10:26 AM, lenquixote66 said:

I never have a problem for the simple reason that I have yet to enter a ship pool.

Me neither....if we use a deck lounger, it's Bucky looking for a place to stretch out in the sun with book (when we don't have sun on our balcony).  He always looks for a place as far from the noise of the pool deck as possible, usually on the aft or bow area upper decks.  

Me...no sun lounging for me.  Not worth it.  😮 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Teeara said:

I always find this topic funny.  I guess I just don't understand why it's such a freaking big deal to have a chair right next to the pool.  Are they afraid it's going to get full before they can get in it?  Once there are they going to wave their arms around in the water and say "Excuse me, but I'm saving this section of the pool for my friends/family members!"?  Do they think people are going to think they are special because they got a seat next to the pool?  Are they so incredibly lazy/drunk that they need to be close to the pool?  I would think it would be among the worst places to sit because so many people would have to go by your chair on the way to or from the pool.  "Excuse me, but you're dripping on my feet."  Ewww....

Agree totally.  And those are the same people that save seats at the shows/theater.  Really rude and inconsiderate of others...and the stated rules.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

My ideal space is where I can get away from the noise around the pool area. The more people that want to be by the pool, the less competition for me to find a spot that I want.

You have probably been sitting next to Bucky somewhere on deck then.  😉 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Teeara said:

I always find this topic funny.  I guess I just don't understand why it's such a freaking big deal to have a chair right next to the pool.  

Chair hogs also try to claim chairs in the solarium.  It frustrates me, because I love to sit with an awesome ocean view in a quiet place.

Edited by vacationlover_mn

5 minutes ago, vacationlover_mn said:

Chair hogs also try to claim chairs in the solarium.  It frustrates me, because I love to sit with an awesome ocean view in a quiet place.

I think they are worse in the Solarium than the pool deck...especially on sea days.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, island lady said:

Agree totally.  And those are the same people that save seats at the shows/theater.  Really rude and inconsiderate of others...and the stated rules.  

Agree. We consider that our preshow theater comedy entertainment as we always get to the shows early. Watching the Chair Hog trying to save multiple seats while trying desperately waving off others or trying to convince others the seats are reserved. Then the comedy really starts when others enter from the other direction when the Chair Hog has his/her/it's back to them. 🤣🍷👏

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, island lady said:

Me neither....if we use a deck lounger, it's Bucky looking for a place to stretch out in the sun with book (when we don't have sun on our balcony).  He always looks for a place as far from the noise of the pool deck as possible, usually on the aft or bow area upper decks.  

Me...no sun lounging for me.  Not worth it.  😮 

Nope,I learned the hard way.I was looking at a picture of myself today from  1981 when I was a sun worshipper.My skin was so dark at that time that nobody looking at my drivers license believed it was me.

• Like 1