What do other cruise lines do that you wish Royal Caribbean would do?

time4u2go

33 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

And can Oasis even dock there. And I mean board, not day trips

I seem to recall seeing someplace what the size limitations were.  NCL's Breakaway-class ships were about the max length ship that terminal could handle.

Found it, berths are 1,000 feet long - https://www.panynj.gov/port-authority/en/help-center/passenger-cruise-ships.html#:~:text=The Manhattan Cruise Terminal%2C owned,in the heart of Manhattan.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, yogimax said:

Well said!  Originally, RCCL marketed Bayonne as "New York," leading many to book flights into JFK or LGA.  The West Side piers would be a great benefit to the millions living in most of NYC and Long Island.

Ha!  Even worse than sailing out of Bayonne is having to pick visitors up in Newark during rush hour because they saved $10 on the airfare instead of flying into JFK!!!

6 hours ago, davekathy said:

Not sure what you mean by stackable but any OBC is appreciated by me. The OBC also is more than just the dollar amount. 

6 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Combinable with other discounts or OBC

This.

On 1/16/2021 at 2:08 AM, Ashland said:

This shouldn't be based on loyalty it should be all cabins ready upon boarding.

Be careful what you wish for! P&O UK took this from surveys and now boarding doesn't even start until 1pm and most now don't board until 3.30pm, that's from southampton uk. Would rather be able to get on board and begin my cruise adventure and access cabin at 1pm

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

Those are some of the best ideas so far. Maybe add interline rate transferable to TA.

I sometimes book through an interline travel agent but some of the covid deals aren't valid on their prices. Like best price guarentee, and lift and shift. I wanted to shift my Allure Sept 2020 booking to Harmony Sept 2021 (exactly the same cruise) but it wasn't allowed 

Edited by sgmn
  • Thanks 1

On 1/15/2021 at 6:29 PM, firefly333 said:

1. Go to coco cay again from Galveston.  I dont care if no key west and only 2 ports.

2. Guys burgers and guys bbq like carnival. I really like carnivals lunch options.

The BBQ on Oasis was pretty good. 

We did love the Guy's Pig & Anchor Smokehouse/Brewhouse on Carnival Horizon. A Lot!

21 minutes ago, Mikew0805 said:

Pool/Beach towels placed in cabin, and replaced in cabin when they need changed.

NCL did this in April 2019, but had stopped by October 2019 when I sailed again.  Between that and towel animals being stopped, they said it was both for cost savings and environmental (less water/detergent used by not having to wash the extra towels placed).

1 hour ago, Mikew0805 said:

The BBQ on Oasis was pretty good. 

We did love the Guy's Pig & Anchor Smokehouse/Brewhouse on Carnival Horizon. A Lot!

I like the bbq best on conquest class up where fish and chips was. I'm on vista in sept where its outside and not in a quiet ac place. But it has the other good lunch spots, the mexican salads for lunch in a shell, Mongolian wok, etc. 

Wish we had allure next year but I got transferred to liberty. Getting to florida takes more time, but I guess that's my best choice if they dont get busy on terminal 3. Not ready to fly again yet.

I liked ourusualbeach suggestions, let us on rcl stack obc, if a fcc is more than the cost of paying off the balance let us get obc and use up fcc. I forget his other 2.

VIP debarktion for loyalty levels like carnival does. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Will Anthem fit?

Anthem is 70 feet longer than NCL's Breakaway and 50 feet longer than Bliss, both of which have home-ported at the MCT.

Does that mean she'll fit?  no idea, but she also pulls a deeper draft than either of those ships.

The other thing to consider - RCI would have to boot one of the existing lines from the MCT, there probably isn't capacity to add RCI cruises from there.  After building the new terminal in Bayonne I doubt Royal is eager to move to MCT...

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

You might be able to ask suite attendant for beach towels

I just asked my husband if he remembered how we got pool  towels and he thinks we got them on the suite sun deck, but can’t remember which ship. It is so sad that we can’t remember cruise details, feels like it has been Forever since we were on a ship. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, sandebeach said:

I just asked my husband if he remembered how we got pool  towels and he thinks we got them on the suite sun deck, but can’t remember which ship. It is so sad that we can’t remember cruise details, feels like it has been Forever since we were on a ship. 

Yes, Oasis ships have towels up there.

I'll grab a couple early in week

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sgmn said:

I sometimes book through an interline travel agent but some of the covid deals aren't valid on their prices. Like best price guarentee, and lift and shift. I wanted to shift my Allure Sept 2020 booking to Harmony Sept 2021 (exactly the same cruise) but it wasn't allowed 

Consistency is not Royal's strong point for L&S. I was shocked when they let us L&S from our Nov 2020 Allure to Symphony.

10 minutes ago, Big_G said:

Consistency is not Royal's strong point for L&S. I was shocked when they let us L&S from our Nov 2020 Allure to Symphony.

The reason the poster you quoted wasn't allowed was because they had booked under an interline (deeply discounted rates for airline employees).  Royal is quite clear that those as well as TA rates and other net rate fares cannot be shifted.  In this case they were consistent with their terms.

Difference in ships did not matter as long as it was within 4 weeks either way, was the same itinerary type and the same number of days.  I did lots of ships from Empress and Majesty to Oasis class as well as Odyssey

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hallux said:

Anthem is 70 feet longer than NCL's Breakaway and 50 feet longer than Bliss, both of which have home-ported at the MCT.

Does that mean she'll fit?  no idea, but she also pulls a deeper draft than either of those ships.

The other thing to consider - RCI would have to boot one of the existing lines from the MCT, there probably isn't capacity to add RCI cruises from there.  After building the new terminal in Bayonne I doubt Royal is eager to move to MCT...

Have sailed from Manhattan (CCL, VO), Brooklyn (Princess) and Bayonne.  Manhattan is a real pain with little parking and gridlocked traffic.  Bayonne much simpler.

Seem to remember that in order to obtain PA funding for new Bayonne terminal RCG guaranteed a level of passenger traffic that required stationing an Oasis or Quantum class ship there.  

On 1/15/2021 at 7:14 PM, pcur said:
  2. Have refundable deposits like Princess cruises.
  3. Have longer itineraries like Princess and HAL.

RCCL does already offer refundable deposits.  That is what we always book.  You just have to wait til the last pages of booking online to click that box (price usually goes up about $50 per person, but for us has actually been less than the NRD on a few cruises and gone down). Alternatively, use a good travel agent and it is really easy to just ask them for the refundable rate.

RCCL typically goes after the family market.  Most of them do 7 or 8 days maximum when cruising.  If you want longer cruises, you have to go to the cruise lines that typically have older clientele.  RCCL does seem to offer a few longer ones though (14 days out of Barbados for one example just released).

On 1/16/2021 at 10:01 AM, dplusd said:

1. Offer MDR lunch on embarkation day.  Crowded Windjammer is terrible way to start a vacation.

2. Improve poolside dining options like a good pizza place and fresh grilled burgers and dogs.

We always love the MDR on NCL cruises for lunch on embarkation day.  Great service and never busy.  RCCL should do this.

Also keep a portion of the Windjammer open later in the evenings.  Not everyone wants only pizza after 9 pm.

While mentioning this, do not close down the Windjammer at all during the day.  Close one side down while the other one is turned over for the next meal.  We have arrived in ports at 11 am before and people wanted a snack before going ashore for the day.  There had to have been over 500 people in line for the Promenade Cafe.  Similar in the afternoon at 3 pm...do not fully close the Windjammer when people re-board the ship from a port.  The only option this time of day is Sorrentos or a sandwich in the Promenade Cafe.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Travelling2Some said:

Ha!  Even worse than sailing out of Bayonne is having to pick visitors up in Newark during rush hour because they saved $10 on the airfare instead of flying into JFK!!!

It's not about the airfare.  It's about the travel from the airport to the port.  You must not live in NYC.  Getting from JFK to Bayonne can take well over an hour, depending on time of day and is quite costly.  Newark is much more convenient.