SAGA announces mandatory vacancies

8 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

At the rate the vaccines are happening it may be 2022 before those under 65 will be fully vaccinated.

While there certainly have been bottle necks hasn’t the vaccine distribution always been projected to be rolled out on a very sharply increasing curve both due to production ramping up, different vaccines becoming available and working the bugs out of the system as opposed to a flat line rate.  I still feel that there is the potential to have everyone (who wants it) vaccinated this year. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Iamcruzin said:

I hope so too and I hope they pay out commission because it isn't anyone's fault if the cruise lines require the vaccine after someone booked before the vaccine condition was in place.

I know they won’t potentially pay out the commission unless the booking is paid in full which next to none would be. 

Its  been a tough year for many in the industry however many including myself do not rely on this as a sole source of income.  Travel and cruising will resume and those of us that stick this out will once again see better times.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, sandebeach said:

Jackson Health vaccination site in Miami is now requiring some type of proof to show U.S. residency. It is to deter “vaccination tourism” for people from other countries. 

I thought you had to be a Florida resident or own property here. I think there were a few exceptions also, but like you said no more tourist vaccines. Thank goodness.

54 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

I thought you had to be a Florida resident or own property here. I think there were a few exceptions also, but like you said no more tourist vaccines. Thank goodness.

Yes this is the new ruling that was just announced. 

3434C052-9D07-4E60-8CD4-DCEBF655BD19.png

When I type in Saga on google.com the first thing that comes up is Saga cruises then about halfway down the page Saga UK comes up. This encompasses, holidays, insurance, cruises etc. I live in St Marys, GA.

Edited by sheffield
Punctuation

1 hour ago, sheffield said:

When I type in Saga on google.com the first thing that comes up is Saga cruises then about halfway down the page Saga UK comes up. This encompasses, holidays, insurance, cruises etc. I live in St Marys, GA.

Probably because everyone has been Googling Saga, the cruise line. It moves up in Google search rankings then. :classic_tongue::classic_rolleyes::classic_biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Coralc said:

Probably because everyone has been Googling Saga, the cruise line. It moves up in Google search rankings then. :classic_tongue::classic_rolleyes::classic_biggrin:

I was thinking the same thing. 😁

Edited by broberts
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, broberts said:

Since it will be another year or so before vaccines will be approved for young children that would push cruise resumption back to mid  to late 2022.

Maybe for you if you have kids, but there is no way the cruise lines aren’t going to sail because kids can’t. It will eliminate that group of the population, but they will have plenty of others to fill some of the ships.

2 hours ago, sandebeach said:

Yes this is the new ruling that was just announced. 

3434C052-9D07-4E60-8CD4-DCEBF655BD19.png

That’s what I thought, but since you said earlier they just had to be U.S. residents I didn’t know if we were reading the same thing.

11 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

Maybe for you if you have kids, but there is no way the cruise lines aren’t going to sail because kids can’t. It will eliminate that group of the population, but they will have plenty of others to fill some of the ships.

That’s what I thought, but since you said earlier they just had to be U.S. residents I didn’t know if we were reading the same thing.

As of yesterday, Miami was going to start asking for proof of US residency. But the notice about proof of Florida residency is a brand new rule that came out today. I have no problem with it!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sandebeach said:

As of yesterday, Miami was going to start asking for proof of US residency. But the notice about proof of Florida residency is a brand new rule that came out today. I have no problem with it!

Since the federal government is paying for the vaccine, can a state refuse it to any US resident?

21 minutes ago, broberts said:

Since the federal government is paying for the vaccine, can a state refuse it to any US resident?

The problem is that the vaccine supply for each state was calculated based on the number of residents. Florida is now facing a vaccine shortage, and who knows when they will get more or get enough for all the Florida seniors who want to get vaccinated. 

33 minutes ago, sandebeach said:

So glad they changed to rules. People can get them where they are supposed to and not come here.

26 minutes ago, broberts said:

I would think so because each state is getting the amount of vaccines for the number of residents. In Florida you have to live here or own property here, but there are some exceptions. Glad our governor changed the rules and isn’t letting just anyone getting our vaccines that aren’t meant for them. They need to wait their turn in whatever state or country they live in and quit being so selfish. It’s unbelievable the amount of selfishness I have seen due to covid, especially on here regarding vacations because they are tired of sitting at home. Who isn’t?

Edited by ReneeFLL
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, sandebeach said:

The problem is that the vaccine supply for each state was calculated based on the number of residents. Florida is now facing a vaccine shortage, and who knows when they will get more or get enough for all the Florida seniors who want to get vaccinated. 

I guess we were typing at the same time. 🥂

Edited by ReneeFLL

14 hours ago, Bobal said:

I have to say I am shocked at the many posts I have read about 'vaccine tourism' and about hanging on the phone for hours in the hope of getting a vaccine slot in the US. We have many things for which we shouldn't be proud in the UK - not least the shocking death figures currently - but the way we are centrally managing vaccinations and the way they are being rolled out within set criteria is at least one thing we seem to be doing (almost) right.

I have recently recovered from Covid so apparently have around 5 months immunity (according to the latest research). However I am also confident that when my time comes I will be offered the vaccine in line with other people my age.

Sorry to hear you’ve had it.

Yes, the comments about calling to try and get an appointment made me smile.  As I wrote on a US friends social page... here we wait for the doctor to call you and tell you when your appointment is. What a novel idea!

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

The issue with Florida is that there are so many with dual residences. This is prime time for snowbirds to be living in Florida. Who knows where they were counted when distribution of the vaccine was being decided. 

This is true of the Snowbirds I know who have had both doses of the vaccine, they own property(ies) in Florida as well as in Ontario. 

1 minute ago, Mapleleafforever said:

This is true of the Snowbirds I know who have had both doses of the vaccine, they own property(ies) in Florida as well as in Ontario. 

My parents had friends (U.S.citizens) who left New York and had a home in Florida and Nova Scotia so it's not uncommon. 

8 hours ago, sandebeach said:

I don’t know how they figure distribution, but I am told that my mother, who is 92 and lives in New Jersey   should not expect to receive her vaccination before late March or early April. Simply not acceptable, but there is nothing I can do.  If she were well enough to travel I would take her to another state.   I am happy for all the 65 year olds in Florida (70 year olds in my state) that can be vaccinated, but frustrated that a 92-year-old in another state cannot. 

Some states are abandoning the elderly. m

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

I don’t know how they figure distribution, but I am told that my mother, who is 92 and lives in New Jersey   should not expect to receive her vaccination before late March or early April. Simply not acceptable, but there is nothing I can do.  If she were well enough to travel I would take her to another state.   I am happy for all the 65 year olds in Florida (70 year olds in my state) that can be vaccinated, but frustrated that a 92-year-old in another state cannot. 

My mother in NY was also told April  she will be 91 in July

3 hours ago, little britain said:

Sorry to hear you’ve had it.

Yes, the comments about calling to try and get an appointment made me smile.  As I wrote on a US friends social page... here we wait for the doctor to call you and tell you when your appointment is. What a novel idea!

Here in the U.S. we are more accustomed to looking after ourselves rather than waiting around for someone else, or the goverment,  to get around to taking care of us. It is called personal responsibility. What a novel idea!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Here in the U.S. we are more accustomed to looking after ourselves rather than waiting around for someone else, or the goverment,  to get around to taking care of us. It is called personal responsibility. What a novel idea!

Or another way of putting it is that the 'America First' ethos also translates into 'Me First' and let me elbow everyone else out of the way 🙄

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, molly361 said:

My mother in NY was also told April  she will be 91 in July

16 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

The VA originally told my 88 year old Dad April but he got a call yesterday for an appointment on Monday. Hopefully you mother’s will be vaccinated before April. DW had her second dose yesterday and had a slight reaction. She was achy and her head hurt when she coughed. My DIL who’s an NYC school teacher got the first dose yesterday. She had Covid last February.  I’m suppose to be able to get a vaccine because I work with the public but I have no idea where to even begin looking. I think I’ll wait for the smoke to clear.

16 minutes ago, Bobal said:

Or another way of putting it is that the 'America First' ethos also translates into 'Me First' and let me elbow everyone else out of the way 

Lol, your comment reminded me of Italy and the Italian idea of what standing in a line (cue) means.☺

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Lol, your comment reminded me of Italy and the Italian idea of what standing in a line (cue) means.☺

My son lived in Italy for a year and his good manners had to be shelved for that period as he learned the only way to catch a bus was to sharpen his elbows and launch in with everyone else 😂

• Haha 1