SAGA announces mandatory vacancies

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

SAGA is a tiny cruise line catering to old people.   I'm not sure much can be read into their decision.

But if one cruiseline puts that line in the sand so to speak don't the others have to follow?

7 minutes ago, Hammergirl said:

If Royal does move to requiring a vaccine, then I want my $1000.00 that is tied up in an FCC (non refundable suite deposit) back as cash. We do not plan on getting the vaccine anytime soon, at least not until I see the effects of the ones they are handing out right now. 

You won't have to worry about that for a long...long time.  No guarantees if and when cruising will start again this year.  So far...this year is not starting out so well.  Another round of cancellations are bound to happen...IMHO.  

Edited by island lady
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, island lady said:

You won't have to worry about that for a long...long time.  No guarantees if and when cruising will start again this year.  So far...not starting out so well.  Another round of cancellations are bound to happen...IMHO.  

Oh I agree. I think it is going to be a long time before cruising starts.  I was just stating that they should not be able to require something like a vaccine after someone books a cruise. There are many who will not or cannot get it and they should get their money back. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Hammergirl said:

Oh I agree. I think it is going to be a long time before cruising starts.  I was just stating that they should not be able to require something like a vaccine after someone books a cruise. There are many who will not or cannot get it and they should get their money back. 

These are unusual times...simply nothing is what it used to be any longer.  How many times you have you observed a "mask must be worn" sign at a store?  Health and safety will always come first.  

I don't like it...no one does.  Poop happens...we deal with it and hope it gets better soon.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hammergirl said:

If Royal does move to requiring a vaccine, then I want my $1000.00 that is tied up in an FCC (non refundable suite deposit) back as cash. We do not plan on getting the vaccine anytime soon, at least not until I see the effects of the ones they are handing out right now. 

I agree with you completely. This is one of my concerns as well. 

2 hours ago, Hammergirl said:

Only time, and active CV numbers. As new Admin has said will not Mandate the Vaccine would be up to Company. What about Kids that Royal has relied on last 20yrs, no Vaccine for them. Currently 26 average and 33% in some areas Medical/First Responder's been tuning down Vaccine, many as a wait and see. This worked for us where I'm at, thousands doses given out this week after only 250 once a week last 3 weeks. Took Mom in for her first this morning, though not needed now her reg Dr Office called this afternoon to come in tomorrow as they are available there. That one I was surprised about. So many not receiving theirs more likely get mine sooner. With 200 Million in US Phase One would been around June before was available for me and others in Phase Two, now maybe start in Spring

Edited by ONECRUISER

3 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

If they like to cruise they will get over it. Those people should be directing their anger at their home state for not rolling it out effectively.  It isn’t the industry’s fault.

Top that off with the fact that the lines won’t start to cruise until they feel enough of their base has been vaccinated.  They aren’t going to start sailing empty, just to start sailing. 

Correct for sure.  It is not  RCCL's fault folks can't get vaccinated. Some states are doing a better job than others.   

I don't  expect any cruises to sail for a while  (Fall), and hopefully  by then,  those who want a  vaccine can get one.   If a vaccine is mandatory, the issue might be those who elect NOT to be vaccinated (don't want it, don't trust it, religious reasons, allergy, etc)  and still want to sail.  I am vaccine allergy prone  and  had my vaccine first dose  this week, with Epi-Pen in hand.  Happy to report NO, issues, except a sore arm. 

M

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Correct for sure.  It is not  RCCL's fault folks can't get vaccinated. Some states are doing a better job than others.   

I don't  expect any cruises to sail for a while  (Fall), and hopefully  by then,  those who want a  vaccine can get one.   If a vaccine is mandatory, the issue might be those who elect NOT to be vaccinated (don't want it, don't trust it, religious reasons, allergy, etc)  and still want to sail.  I am vaccine allergy prone  and  had my vaccine first dose  this week, with Epi-Pen in hand.  Happy to report NO, issues, except a sore arm. 

M

So glad it went well for you, that must have been a little scary wondering if you would have a reaction. 

3 hours ago, Hammergirl said:

I feel the same way. If RCI requires proof of vaccination in order to cruise, then I want our two nonrefundable deposits refunded.

• Like 4

I may have to find a new way to spend out vacations. 

Just to get a flu shot I have to make an appointment at the hospital in case of a bad reaction. Hence why I don't get flu shots!! 

I know this is all speculation right now, and I would hope there are exceptions for those that can't get the vaccine. But it just seems like even with the vaccine there will be so many other problems before and during cruising that it might not be fun anymore...

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

.  I am vaccine allergy prone  and  had my vaccine first dose  this week, with Epi-Pen in hand.  Happy to report NO, issues, except a sore arm. 

M

Glad to hear that you are doing well.  

10 minutes ago, LilBlackDress said:

I may have to find a new way to spend out vacations. 

Just to get a flu shot I have to make an appointment at the hospital in case of a bad reaction. Hence why I don't get flu shots!! 

I know this is all speculation right now, and I would hope there are exceptions for those that can't get the vaccine. But it just seems like even with the vaccine there will be so many other problems before and during cruising that it might not be fun anymore...

Just having proper acceptable proof of vaccination would be difficult. As someone pointed it it would be easy to write on the cardboard card I have and fake it. That would worry me what you would need that would be acceptable proof.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Just having proper acceptable proof of vaccination would be difficult. As someone pointed it it would be easy to write on the cardboard card I have and fake it. That would worry me what you would need that would be acceptable proof.

This is the card I received today. I’m wondering if everyone is getting something similar? On the back, is when my 2nd dose is due.

E643DFE9-B458-453C-B8F7-D3898DC7F862.jpeg

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

From my understanding the airlines are working on a way to have a “vaccine passport” per say, so there is verification and you can’t game the system.

We went to Hawaii for NYE and they have many safeguards set up to verify your Covid negative status.   Including electronic verification.  We had to manually upload our test results to the Hawaii travel safe site and then they had to verify results.  The site specifically has a spot where it states “verified” or “unverified.” Under your Covid test results. Once verified it spits out the QR code you need to rent a car, get a hotel room, etc.  The people looking at the QR code’s we encountered were very thorough.  They wanted to see you manually log in to the site, then required a goverment issued ID to correspond your name to the QR code.  They would not accept screen shots.  They wanted to see me actually log in to prove I wasn’t gaming the system.

If Hawaii can do it so they can get visitors onto those islands, I have no doubt the Cruiselines may be able to piggy back on the airlines upcoming vaccine passport efforts or just come up with a verification system on their own.  They will pay whatever it takes to get those ships sailing at this point.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, crzndeb said:

This is the card I received today. I’m wondering if everyone is getting something similar? On the back, is when my 2nd dose is due.

E643DFE9-B458-453C-B8F7-D3898DC7F862.jpeg

Yes my card is the same, but they wrote in my information including name and date of birth. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, rimmit said:

From my understanding the airlines are working on a way to have a “vaccine passport” per say, so there is verification and you can’t game the system.

We went to Hawaii for NYE and they have many safeguards set up to verify your Covid negative status.   Including electronic verification.  We had to manually upload our test results to the Hawaii travel safe site and then they had to verify results.  The site specifically has a spot where it states “verified” or “unverified.” Under your Covid test results. Once verified it spits out the QR code you need to rent a car, get a hotel room, etc.  The people looking at the QR code’s we encountered were very thorough.  They wanted to see you manually log in to the site, then required a goverment issued ID to correspond your name to the QR code.  They would not accept screen shots.  They wanted to see me actually log in to prove I wasn’t gaming the system.

If Hawaii can do it so they can get visitors onto those islands, I have no doubt the Cruiselines may be able to piggy back on the airlines upcoming vaccine passport efforts or just come up with a verification system on their own.  They will pay whatever it takes to get those ships sailing at this point.

I agree. I hope after the second shot they will certify it somehow. Something digital and confirmed would be nice and easy.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Vera/Lee said:

I agree. I hope after the second shot they will certify it somehow. Something digital and confirmed would be nice and easy.

This is what the IATA (international air transport association) is working on.The IATA is the global trade association for the world's airlines.  They encompass almost 300 airlines.

https://www.iata.org/en/programs/passenger/travel-pass/

It will be digital.  Hopefully it will be nice and easy as well.  A roll out encompassing the world is gonna be interesting though.  Trying to get all the labs, clinics, and hospitals on the same page.....   it’ll be a ride.  Hope they can pull it off.

Edited by rimmit

24 minutes ago, sandebeach said:

Yes my card is the same, but they wrote in my information including name and date of birth. 

I went through a drive thru, so I’m wondering if they just didn’t want to hold up the flow of traffic and appt. times, by filling them all out.

16 minutes ago, crzndeb said:

I went through a drive thru, so I’m wondering if they just didn’t want to hold up the flow of traffic and appt. times, by filling them all out.

I also did a drive through, but you could be right about their desire to keep the lines moving. 

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

Yeah good luck with that. A given US State can't even get all hospitals and labs on the same page, none the less nationally or internationally.

Hawaii has managed to get 19 providers including Walgreens and CVS in the US onboard an electronic verification system.  A small number, I know compared to the thousands of providers.

The most likely scenario is there is a company that gets hired to verify uploaded results.  Each country has people who are working at home that are hired for no other purpose other than to call clinics and hospitals to verify vaccinations.  This would not be outside the realm of reason given we already have many people hired to do background checks for other reasons.

This person would verify your uploaded result.

The main incentive for countries would obviously be that the easier it is to get people into the country the more tourist dollars they can get.  

At this point it’s likely gonna be a race to open up safely.  We have traveled a lot during this pandemic, and every place we have gone, we went simply because it was one of the few open options.  When talking to most of these places (Hawaii, various national parks, tour agencies, local resorts) the destinations that are still open mostly say they have maintained the same level of business as before the pandemic (Disney being the main exception, but that is due to self imposed park limits at this point).

Logic dictates that the loss of some of the market due to Covid is counterbalanced by the fact that due to the lack of travel options people who would not have gone to these places otherwise are booking trips just because it’s open.

The faster a country can open, the faster they can get the economy running and resume their tourist industry.  That will be the main incentive for any country to get onboard with some international vaccine passport system.