The Daily for Thursday Jan 28, 2021

richwmn

Good morning all!

Another rainy day here, with a small chance of snow.  I don't give it much chance, with a high of 46 today, unless it comes tonight.

Family chuckle:  years ago when our son went for his first IT interview, he showed them how at-risk their data security was -- and they hired him on the spot.  😂  It has only been upward and onward since then and we're very proud of him.

I love the lamb served in the Pinnacle Grill, probably the only time/place I ever have it.  Also love, love love prime rib.  I don't know yet what dinner will be here, I haven't cooked in 5 days before we left for the get-away -- so I'm a bit spoiled!  😄

@ger_77I had a dead battery a couple weeks ago -- not for the same reason, it just was its time to go 😉  I hope I didn't jinx yours!

@cat shepardbest wishes for your procedure today!

• Like 13

Just checking in to say, all went well.  Hoping the pathology report gives an all clear.  The hardest part is being careful not to open the wound for the next 10 days. 

Can’t do anything that could raise my blood pressure. I need to be on a cruise!

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

Data Security--just got a notice this morning to do update on iPhone and iPad.  Saw it several times yesterday, but Norton gave the warning this morning. Update takes forever (as in over an hour)!

When I see pictures of the Grand Canyon, I always wonder if I am one of the few people living in the Western US that has never been to the GC?  @Overhead Fred I have enjoyed your pictures and the pictures of the train ride.  That is one train ride that my DH wanted to take, but we never got it done.  Closest I ever was to GC was in Flagstaff, but it was in winter, so we didn't go!

I pick up my new glasses today.  Biggest prescription change since my cataract operations, so wonder how that will be.  Guess I am going to find out soon.

@Horizon chaser 1957thanks for the Amsterdam mats, as I am sure we need the help more often than not.  Of course, when I worked I never had a problem figuring out what day was Friday.  This "being held hostage" currently doesn't help with knowing the day of the week.

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 17

I am another one that never heard of a Lamb Bake before. Although I love lamb I will not try the recipe, I'll wait until I can get the lamb aboard Zuiderdam in Nov. ( i am fairly certain that cruise will actually go. I had 4 cruises cancelled by HAL this year.)

Good news, I managed to snag a cancellation and got my 1st Covid vaccination yesterday. Only side effect, my arm is a bit sore at the injection site today. I will take that soreness gladly.

More good news, my friend, who will remain nameless because most of you know her and she hasn't given me the okay to identify her, has decided to join me on the Zuiderdam Thanksgiving cruise.

Is it just me or is today a much more upbeat day so far?

Jane

• Like 14

Good morning. Still in the single digits when the pups and I venture out for that first walk, but it is sunny and the ice seems to be melting so I can venture further from door. The ski resorts (and skiers) around us are really happy. Purgatory (yep, that is the name) got 37 inches of new snow and Wolf Creek got 4 feet!!!! I understand Highway Patrol has increased patrols between Durango and Purgatory due to the speeding to get to the slopes.

Starting sorting info for taxes yesterday... and hope to get it all done today so that I can tell if I need anything more. Speak about a job that just about puts me to sleep. And out to Humane Society to sign checks and look at pups, kittens and whatever else is there.... we never know. I understand we got a littler of Chihuahua puppies yesterday and no, I do not need one.

Susan

• Like 11

4 hours ago, cat shepard said:

93125FE9-5D18-455D-A9AF-10FDE957BE3D.jpeg

Love it!  Hope you are recovering nicely!  

The  joys of Italian,  we stayed near the town of Pitigliano,  and then there’s  Tignanello .....

people can pronounce Chianti but not Bruschetta.  Hmmmm....  

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!

@cat shepard Best wishes for best results!

It's in the mid 20's here this morning and they say breezy with winds increasing. Good reason to stay in and reminisce on warmer times, like in 2017 when we visited HMC for the first time..

A.thumb.JPG.0ed8339d83e22188950fc600fa41cc12.JPG

B.thumb.JPG.130036ce8fb913c6c4c60b02761a7fa1.JPG

C.thumb.JPG.f9a3e830b22d37732b99acc15b5219e8.JPG

Everyone stay safe and healthy until we can feel the sand between our toes once more.

Have a great day!

Lori & George

• Like 17

Thanks for the Daily Rich, Roy, Summer, Cat and all those participating and reading!  I love the quote! I always had fun at work. The last year of teaching was my most challenging, but I smiled and laughed every day. I loved every one of those kidlets, as difficult as they were. I think so many have resigned themselves to data privacy falls behind convenience. We have a kazoo in our house....DD is a music therapist. I have convinced the grandchildren, though, that they are an "outside instrument" [that and whistles, recorders and plastic flutes] 😄

Thanks for the well wishes for a good move. We're down to 3½ weeks now, and time seems to be flying by. I saw our weekly newpaper deliverer today and thought "Didn't you just bring the last edition 2 days ago?"

Our donation places are closed, but my childhood church is collecting donations to sell to a thrift store later this year. This is the first load that I was able to drop off today.  Sorry the pictures are sideways.  Consider them your neck exercises for the day. lol I have started the next load already. 😉

Blessings to all. Prayers for those on the list and cheers to those celebrating-especially @cat shepard for a procedure done.

Be well. Stay safe. Be kind. Wear a mask! 😷

IMG_6086.JPG

IMG_6085.JPG

IMG_6087.JPG

Edited by Dismomx5
  • Like 15

55 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Just checking in to say, all went well.  Hoping the pathology report gives an all clear.  The hardest part is being careful not to open the wound for the next 10 days. 

Good to hear!  You do NEED to be on a cruise,  brings back memories of DH’s melanoma surgery stitch removal onboard.   Couldn’t let that stop a cruise😅

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 6

👍Thank you for the Daily...I always enjoy reading it first thing in the morning besides .

😵 Lots more rain today! ☂️Have a safe weekend! 😷

It's probably a good idea to check your privacy settings on your devices. ✏️

16118553302664496552519199441919.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 8

1 hour ago, cat shepard said:

Glad it went well.  I hope you get an all clear soon 🤞 

• Like 8

Good morning everyone!  Thank you for the Daily Rich and thank you for your list Roy. 

@cat shepard Praying for an all clear report on the procedure you had today. 

@ger_77 The lamb bake recipe sounds interesting and I think it would be just fine to leave the leeks out because it already has onion in it. Let us know how it comes out. 

I need to catch up on yesterday’s Daily. Somehow I got caught up watching the History Channel episode of the Shackleton ship search. I was cleaning up the DVR and the program was old, from early December, so I either needed to watch it or delete it. Glad that I watched it, so interesting. I had read the Shackleton book many moons ago. 

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 10

Oh, my goodness, I am having so much fun painting today.   I did all the taping and started with the trim pieces.  The window trim went well for the first coat.  The door went well for the first coat.   I went back to do another coat on the window and tipped the paint can.  It ran down the side of the dresser and onto the wood floor.   Fortunately, that cleaned up well.   So, started painting again and the brush handle broke off.  Off to find a new brush and discovered that I had stepped in paint and tracked it all the way downstairs.  Another clean up job.  Put the second coat on the window and door trim and decided it was time to take a break from all that fun.  There are limits to even that.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

11 minutes ago, garlictown said:

16118553302664496552519199441919.jpg

A few years ago--within the first 12 months after the Alexa was released--there was, what I consider to be a hilarious, incident that occurred with an Alexa installed by a tech lover in (by my recollection} in Portland, OR.  Again, this person was a tech lover, and, so, his whole house was wired up for all kinds of automated capability--i.e., he used the Alexa for more than just listening to music, it was integrated into multiple systems.  One day the owner of the Alexa received a telephone call from a professional acquaintance in Seattle.  He was curious why he had received an email from the Alexa owner with a recording of the owner and his wife discussing their furniture.  Apparently, Alexa recorded background conversations, was able to access the owner's email contact list, and randomly picked out one and sent the recording.  As you can imagine, this caught Amazon by surprise and their technical people were very interested in checking out this rogue device.  Presumably, this "feature" has been removed from the software

• Like 11
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, dfish said:

Oh, my goodness, I am having so much fun painting today.   I did all the taping and started with the trim pieces.  The window trim went well for the first coat.  The door went well for the first coat.   I went back to do another coat on the window and tipped the paint can.  It ran down the side of the dresser and onto the wood floor.   Fortunately, that cleaned up well.   So, started painting again and the brush handle broke off.  Off to find a new brush and discovered that I had stepped in paint and tracked it all the way downstairs.  Another clean up job.  Put the second coat on the window and door trim and decided it was time to take a break from all that fun.  There are limits to even that.

OMG Debbie!  You made my painting nightmare humorous as only you could.  😅

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

Thanks for all the updates.  Lamb sounds great.  I haven't ever cooked it but sure enjoyed it on cruises.

Things are busy here.  Tried to snow a few days ago.  Now just a bit cold but thank goodness we didn't have any freezing rain.  

Good to see that more are getting vaccines.  It is an interesting process here.  

Take care everyone.  Stay well and safe and keep wearing those masks.

• Like 8

A rather late good morning.  Data security has always been observed here since DH had a software company for 32 years.  I think I would enjoy the lamb bake, but will wait to have lamb on a cruise.

We got our first shots yesterday afternoon. While my arm is slightly sore (maybe a .5-1 on a scale of 1-10) when I reach or lift it, I really can't say it's sore. 

We left early in case of road problems and were at the stadium about an hour early.  There were not many in line, so we went in and were out in about 45 or so minutes.  Everything went smoothly and we were impressed with the way it was handled.  Our next appointments for Feb. 21.  During the 15 minutes observation, we learned we got the Pfizer vaccine  

@dfish  I'm not a neat painter, but I've managed to miss that much fun!  😱

@cat shepard Glad the procedure went well and hoping the results say they got it all.  Be sure to take your large glass "medicinal" wine. 🤞

@lazey1  Did you have to go to the stadium, or did you manage to get an appointment closer to home?

Lenda

• Like 12

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily.

I'm on board with data privacy. I'm retired, so it's fun at home and never played a kazoo.

I like lamb, but rarely cook it other than lamb chops long ago. Growing up my mother made leg of lamb fairly often (with lots of garlic, not mint jelly).

That Midori Colada sounds good.

It's a cold 22F here with no plans to go above 32F until the Sunday, and then snow.

@cat shepard I'm glad it went well. Prayers on the path report. My BFF had one removed a couple of years ago, and has done well. Fortunately nothing other than the surgery was required.

@lazey1 Congrats on the shot!

@dfish Oh no, on the painting escapades!

Prayers for the care list and cheers for the celebration list.

Be safe everyone, social distance and wear your mask.

• Like 11

38 minutes ago, dfish said:

I believe those are clues that you need to STOP working. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

Good morning, all!  Nearly the end of January, where has the time gone?  Primroses were on sale at the garden centre today, so I went in and bought a dozen - they make me think Spring is around the corner, but of course, we have to get through February ("the cruellest month") first.  So I will keep them indoors for a bit and enjoy them.  

IMG_5439.thumb.JPG.0fde0cd51e757718e7c381cf90c8ac32.JPG

• Like 24