Celebrity will start sailing with only 50-60% capacity

terrydtx

Interesting, looks like Celebrity will try to start sailing in May according to Senior Vice President of Sales, Trade Support & Service Dondra Ritzenthaler but with limits on capacity. 

Here is the cruise blog about this:

Celebrity cruise ships will sail at about half capacity when they restart and increase capacity every month | Cruise.Blog

Edited by terrydtx
  • Thanks 1

It would be good to know where on X's cruise map ships will sail. Caribbean only? Europe, and if so with advertised itineraries and excursions still in place? Simply put, the whole story would be very helpful in deciding whether to cruise or not to cruise.   

Edited by Spif Barwunkel
  • Like 2

Some interesting tossaway lines there.

If they plan to start at 50% capacity, I wonder how they will deal with bookings that already exceed that?

I also am not thrilled with their "weasel wording" about the shore excursions. It seems they realize a fair number of people will not be happy if told they cannot get off the ship other than on a Celebrity shore excursion. So they are hedging their bets/stringing us along by not making it clear what the situation will be until it is too late to change plans or cancel...

4 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

5 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

If they plan to start at 50% capacity, I wonder how they will deal with bookings that already exceed that?

Good question, we are booked on a September Infinity cruise that is already over 75% booked.  I don't see how they can be profitable at 50%, will they sail with only 50% of the crew and officers?

25 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Some interesting tossaway lines there.

I also am not thrilled with their "weasel wording" about the shore excursions. It seems they realize a fair number of people will not be happy if told they cannot get off the ship other than on a Celebrity shore excursion. So they are hedging their bets/stringing us along by not making it clear what the situation will be until it is too late to change plans or cancel...

I imagine a good deal of people will still voluntarily cancel. They don't want to be a guinea pig, still aren't comfortable traveling, the excursion restrictions don't work for them and so on. Won't they still have the option to cancel up to 48hrs prior to sailing? Not ideal but you aren't locked in. If someone booked nonrefundable air or hotel, that was unfortunately just poor planning. 

18 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

Good question, we are booked on a September Infinity cruise that is already over 75% booked.  I don't see how they can be profitable at 50%, will they sail with only 50% of the crew and officers?

I imagine if they can resume safely, if operating at a loss versus not operating at all results in less of a loss, they'll do it. There is also the optics of simply having the confidence to move forward. They aren't going to be rolling in the cash for quite some time and they eventually have to move forward in some way.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

My best logical guess not based on any inside knowledge.

Celebrity will need to maximize revenue per passenger while operating at 60% or less capacity. They would then need to cancel or limit bookings in the lower cost per passenger categories, like inside and OV cabins, then perhaps some standard verandah cabin bookings. It would make sense to keep all Concierge class  and above cabin bookings untouched.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

Celebrity will need to maximize revenue per passenger while operating at 60% or less capacity. They would then need to cancel or limit bookings in the lower cost per passenger categories, like inside and OV cabins, then perhaps some standard verandah cabin bookings. It would make sense to keep all Concierge class  and above cabin bookings untouched.

I would hope that some consideration, though, would also be given to those of us who have been canceled, rebooked, shifted etc.  

I have a cruise on Infinity in the Med that was just rebooked following the cancellation of Constellation, which was a lift and shift from 2020, which was a move-over/itinerary change from Celebrity even before COVID when they decided to bring Constellation to Tampa in the winters after I had already booked.

I have stuck with Celebrity through three changes. If they cancel me now because my "status" isn't high enough, I am pretty sure I won't be back.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I would hope that some consideration, though, would also be given to those of us who have been canceled, rebooked, shifted etc.  

I have a cruise on Infinity in the Med that was just rebooked following the cancellation of Constellation, which was a lift and shift from 2020, which was a move-over/itinerary change from Celebrity even before COVID when they decided to bring Constellation to Tampa in the winters after I had already booked.

I have stuck with Celebrity through three changes. If they cancel me now because my "status" isn't high enough, I am pretty sure I won't be back.

You have had a similar experience to us! I lift and shifted  my Constellation b2b from September 2020 to Connie September 2021then once those cruises were cancelled moved the bookings to Infinity September, this is beside 6 other lost cruises over the last 12 months, I would be very disappointed if they cancelled us off these remaining cruises too. Dianne

55 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

LLP said last September that when X returned to service ships would sail at reduced capacity. She also mentioned that the E class ships are more fuel efficient than the rest of the fleet, so they could sail at 50-60 % of capacity and still make a profit.

Imo, they have been monitoring and controlling inventory on their ships since then. Inventory for each ship shows a specific amount of cabins have been “sold”, but in actuality some of those could just be blocked by X.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

Without a doubt they are going to ensure as many high margin cabins will be sold as possible. They need to maximize cash flow.   Also, they need to get as many outstanding FCC's utilized and off the books.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, kasowell2 said:

I too wonder about those already booked. If they have to lower capacity I wonder how they would choose. I'm assuming lowest fare first. 

Although it seems at times they loathe members of the Captain's Club, consideration of membership level will have to be a consideration to ensure they do not alienate loyal cruisers, who are the ones required to carry them through this difficult time.

I can see the discussion around the table...I see your 2 Classics and 1 Elite, but raise you 2 Elite Plus....

(no disrespect intended  to any members at any level)

What a can of worms they are going to open

• Like 1

Can of worms indeed.

I wonder if they'll also take into consideration when bookings were made. It would be most unfortunate if someone who booked an OV cabin when the itinerary first became available was bumped in favour of someone who booked a balcony cabin a few months before embarkation.

Not to worry, I'm sure the IT team will come up with a flawless program to resolve the issue to everyone's satisfaction. :classic_cool:

• Like 6
  • Haha 7

Presumably the reason for sailing at reduced capacity is to allow for better distancing on the ship.  
If the lower cabin categories are reduced and the upper level left at full capacity that would result with in most  passengers on 2-3 decks.  On S class most suites are decks 11 & 12, Aqua is entirely on Deck 11 and 95% of deck 10 is Concierge.  Those decks would be full but decks 2, 3, 6, & 7 empty.  Luminae,  the Retreat Lounge & Aqua would be problematic if they sail at 100% capacity in those cabins but need to keep the venues at 50% to distance .  Elevators would be another challenge, many will walk up  or down 2-3 decks but not many will walk for deck 3 or 4 to 11 or 12.

We all know that just because someone is in a Suite, Aqua or CC doesn’t mean that they actually paid more than someone who is in a veranda.

3 minutes ago, kasowell2 said:

Just to start a brew ha ha. 🙂 but would those that are vaccinated get priority? It could be a consideration. 

Can we have one thread without a discussion on the pro and cons of getting vaccinated?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

Can we have one thread without a discussion on the pro and cons of getting vaccinated?

It seems like a reasonable consideration when discussing how to reduce the passenger load. In fact, Ms. Ritzenthaler mentions it at least twice in the article upon which you based your OP, so you opened this particular door.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Thanks for posting this.  I'm not convinced yet that they will be cruising in May at any capacity.  We shall see.

Had a long discussion with Celebrity yesterday.  Started about emails welcoming me on board for cancelled cruises and moved into communications about resumption of cruising.  They are waiting for the next meeting of the CLIA representatives and the CDC, HHS secy, White House rep etc to get clarification of the guidelines.  The thought is the meeting will happen in a few weeks.

I remember the CDC wanted a longer suspension of cruising last October and was overruled by the WHouse.  With new players what will the new group suggest?

The main sticking points seem to be getting port agreements to prevent ships from sailing about looking for a port that will allow docking and evacuation of ill passengers.  That obviously requires COVID infections to be at a lower (undetermined) level.

Next is the issue of getting crews to the ships as travel from or thru many countries is complicated to impossible.

Then with the likely large number of untrained crew, how long to train in basic duties AND COVID protocols?

Certainly seems this will take at least several weeks once the process begins.

I agree with TeeRick that cruising is still months off as port agreements will be difficult until vaccination levels rise significantly.  Most countries in the Caribbean, for example Jamacia with 30 ICU beds according to the WHO, are capable of handling very few COVID cases from a cruise ship.

19 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

Would like to hear how you think COVID can be minimized or eliminated on board ships since masks and social distancing have not worked.

Also without vaccinations how ports can control COVID transmission.  Until ports are not concerned about passengers infecting the locals; how do we have a place to cruise?  If you doubt this read a few comments by Dr Bonnie Henry the British Columbia medical officer on restricting travel to keep BC COVID case numbers low.

39 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Can of worms indeed.

I wonder if they'll also take into consideration when bookings were made. It would be most unfortunate if someone who booked an OV cabin when the itinerary first became available was bumped in favour of someone who booked a balcony cabin a few months before embarkation.

Yes, I will be especially ticked to get bumped since my cancelled cruise was a balcony in a great location and thanks to the increased prices my re-booked cruise is an inside next to an elevator...and I still have to pay $1000 more for the room over and above FCC! I just hope if they boot people, they do it with plenty of notice so we don't have to start cancelling flights and hotels.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I think I posted this months ago, but if they have to involuntarily remove people from a sailing....the posts on here will be a real life soap opera! I can see the "LLP is a heartless wench!" already  followed by "I'm an ______ level CC member" and "I've had this cruise planned for __ years celebrating ______" so why am cancelled! 🤣

• Like 3
  • Haha 4