Celebrity will start sailing with only 50-60% capacity

terrydtx

22 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

If you felt their method of choosing cancellations was patently unfair (not saying it will be, just if), will you be one of the happy ones?

There is literally no method of allocating reduced space to existing bookings that would not result in "whining and moaning and complaining" by someone about how it "isn't fair."

If done by lottery, there will be people saying it should have been done by date of booking, or status, or category of cabin.

If done by any of those methods, others will say a different method should have been used.

All @Miaminice seems to be saying is that some method will be necessary if passenger load has to be decreased, and that mature adults will be disappointed but accept it.

I discovered as a judge for nearly two decades that peoples' ideas about "fairness" mostly reflect only whether they "win."

As for me and my wife, we are not desperate to cruise in our late October booking. If the virus situation allows it with little risk and inconvenience on board, we will go and enjoy it. If not, we will hope to be cancelled as part of the "unlucky" 50%, and use our money to do something more fun.

---- happens. Our losing a cruise booking is nothing compared to losing some of our friends from this particular ----.

Edited by mayleeman
  • Like 4

How do we even know if Celebrity has not already started a reduced booking policy by limiting the showing or disclosing the amount of unbooked cabins on cruises for this year? Case in point, when we rebooked our September Infinity cruise we wanted an adjoining cabin with my sister and BIL who booked with us. When we booked Celebrity showed no adjoining cabins available in our booking class, but they were able as they said" move around some bookings" so we ended up with adjoining cabins. We booked this cruise last month when Celebrity most likely knew they would be sailing with limited capacity this fall.

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When cruising resumes in somewhat normal fashion, that is a win for all cruisers, correct? Because I was not selected to be among the 50% on the boat does not lessen the significance of the event. Eventually, I'll be back on the water. Not because X owes me anything for past loyalty and current status but because my time, like everyone else, has finally come. 

To dwell on circumstances beyond one's control is to mitigate the enthusiasm for a return to normalcy. 

Edited by Spif Barwunkel
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

When cruising resumes in somewhat normal fashion, that is a win for all cruisers, correct? Because I was not selected to be among the 50% on the boat does not lessen the significance of the event. Eventually, I'll be back on the water. Not because X owes me anything for past loyalty and current status but because my time, like everyone else, has finally come. 

To dwell on circumstances beyond one's control is to mitigate the enthusiasm for a return to normalcy. 

Spif you are a wise man and I agree with you.  Unfortunately it is basic human nature to dwell or worry about circumstances beyond our control.

On 1/29/2021 at 11:41 PM, UnorigionalName said:

Force everyone to wear social distancing donuts.  Then you won't have problems with overcrowding in elevators!

As an accommodation, couples would be allowed to share a donut.

ap_20140080627055_custom-6eeef60fdc67b42

What a time to be alive 😆

Edited by sydbarrett

2 minutes ago, rmalbers said:

When another cruise line went thru having to cancel they did it in order of booking, the earliest bookings got selected first and the later bookings got dropped.  That seems fair.

which line and was this at the outbreak of pandemic, before they knew how horrible it would be?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TeeRick said:

So true!  Applies to a lot of things.  

Not necessarily  true.  There are many who respect the process if it is fair and applied fairly . Many  do not whine if they lose.   Think of sports.....

• Like 1

For us it would not be the fact of the cancellation itself,  or any sense of entitlement as a loyal X cruiser...but  rather loss of the great price for a suite,

Next booking is our first suite ever... had a great price on Connie, lifted and shifted to Reflection.  If we lose this booking, we could not get a suite upon re- booking unless they offered one more lift and shift.  We have pretty much exhausted  interest in  other categories other than maybe  AQ Class.

No Magic 8 or Crystal Ball..only time will tell.

On 2/2/2021 at 4:41 PM, rmalbers said:

When another cruise line went thru having to cancel they did it in order of booking, the earliest bookings got selected first and the later bookings got dropped.  That seems fair.

Perhaps only within a category.  I cannot imagine a cruise line selecting a lower priced inside cabin booking over a Balcony.  What cruise line are you referencing?

• Like 1

On 2/1/2021 at 12:38 PM, Miaminice said:

Certainly I would not be happy about my cruise being canceled. Just like I wasn’t happy about the cruises which were canceled already. However, you wouldn’t find me discussing and complaining about it here. It happened, I know why it happened... I move on.

Although we have “only” done around 30 long cruises you also wouldn’t find me feeling entitled to be treated any differently than a newbie. I guess that’s where we are apparently different.

If you want to live up to the “critic” in the forum’s name, I can’t keep you from doing it. Just like you can’t expect me to agree to it.

Just to clarify my point - no, I don't feel "entitled" to be treated differently just because I have cruised with them 50 times.  That is not what I meant at all, nor is it what I said for that matter.   I said I would expect fair and honest treatment - I did not say I would expect preferential treatment.  That's a big difference.  For that matter, I certainly would expect the same for someone new to Celebrity.  

If perhaps you are referring to my comment about people who have invested tens of thousands of dollars in keeping Celebrity afloat during this past year, then yes I absolutely feel Celebrity should take that into consideration when deciding who to "bump" and who not to.  I think people who have already been cancelled, lifted and shifted and so on multiple times but have kept their FCC with the intent of future sailings should indeed have priority over those who have not had to go through that.  To me that only seems fair.  

5 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

Just to clarify my point - no, I don't feel "entitled" to be treated differently just because I have cruised with them 50 times.  That is not what I meant at all, nor is it what I said for that matter.   I said I would expect fair and honest treatment - I did not say I would expect preferential treatment.  That's a big difference.  For that matter, I certainly would expect the same for someone new to Celebrity.  

If perhaps you are referring to my comment about people who have invested tens of thousands of dollars in keeping Celebrity afloat during this past year, then yes I absolutely feel Celebrity should take that into consideration when deciding who to "bump" and who not to.  I think people who have already been cancelled, lifted and shifted and so on multiple times but have kept their FCC with the intent of future sailings should indeed have priority over those who have not had to go through that.  To me that only seems fair.  

Ay, there's the rub. What seems fair to you might seem patently unfair to others. The thread is filled with many different suggestions for passenger reduction, each arguably fair, but each giving advantage to one segment of the passengers to the disadvantage of others.

On 2/2/2021 at 11:36 AM, terrydtx said:

How do we even know if Celebrity has not already started a reduced booking policy by limiting the showing or disclosing the amount of unbooked cabins on cruises for this year? Case in point, when we rebooked our September Infinity cruise we wanted an adjoining cabin with my sister and BIL who booked with us. When we booked Celebrity showed no adjoining cabins available in our booking class, but they were able as they said" move around some bookings" so we ended up with adjoining cabins. We booked this cruise last month when Celebrity most likely knew they would be sailing with limited capacity this fall.

I, too, noticed my July 2022 Infinity sailing seemed to have a lot of rooms at all categories booked up already. I am booked in a humble inside room so I guess I will be first on the chopping block. What would be "fair" to me is to extend my FCC indefinitely, should they decide to give me the chop as well as PLENTY of notice. Business is business, I get it.

27 minutes ago, UnorigionalName said:

Why is everyone on this forum so prone to hysterics?

There's not even an inkling of a plan now, why is everyone trying to work themselves into a frenzy over potential possibilities?

Who knows if it will even be an issue?

people have nothing to talk about other than what ifs  , its what the forum does. speculate and argue. bet 90% of threads are that these days. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

Ay, there's the rub. What seems fair to you might seem patently unfair to others. The thread is filled with many different suggestions for passenger reduction, each arguably fair, but each giving advantage to one segment of the passengers to the disadvantage of others.

You are completely correct.  I was mainly reacting to the "entitled" comment, as I had not said I felt entitled and don't like being accused as such.  I know I should let these things pass me by, but that is a particular pet peeve of mine🙂

On 1/28/2021 at 7:08 PM, stromer said:

I have a cruise from New Jersey to South Hampton on Aug 1 which includes Iceland on the Summit.  

If the ship sales at low capacity will they upgrade people to a higher category- probably not to keep the cabins socially distanced.  In Iceland I want to rent a car for my excursion - will they allow that?

Too many things can change over the next 6 months to predict what wil, happen. 

I keep hearing about this South Hampton place. Is it near Southampton? 😉 ( just joking with you.  I live near Southampton )

• Like 1

On 1/28/2021 at 2:26 PM, TeeRick said:

Thanks for posting this.  I'm not convinced yet that they will be cruising in May at any capacity.  We shall see.

Cant see cruising starting May in Europe for example. Think the summer season here only has a small chance.

I live in Southampton and if Stromer's cruise reaches the port from New Jersey I will be so ecstatic that I will go and collect him and give him a tour of the area!

P.S I have a cruise booked on Reflection Rome to Rome in September so if any nice Italians want to give me a free tour too!

Edited by hawkesbaynz
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, hawkesbaynz said:

I live in Southampton and if Stromer's cruise reaches the port from New Jersey I will be so ecstatic that I will go and collect him and give him a tour of the area!

P.S I have a cruise booked on Reflection Rome to Rome in September so if any nice Italians want to give me a free tour too!

Hope to be in Portsmouth at Easter (?). Would you like a tour of Gunwharf Quays. Let my DH off the hook. 

I remember reading about passengers in inside cabins on ships with outbreaks being allowed to leave their cabins for daylight and air.

Would make sense to close off inside cabins to start. 

Just in case of outbreaks or being denied disembarking. 

That would cut some capacity. And lower profit cabins. 

On 2/12/2021 at 4:51 AM, BigAl94 said:

TUI now had over 50,000 passengers sailing under the strict protocols over the past months.

FOUR were now infected. As much is known, not on the ship.
Four detected, isolated, contacs traced and isolated, none of them infected...

System seems to work just fine.

If 50,000 to 4 - let’s do the math: 0,00008 % - is not an acceptable ratio... well, we won’t cruise for years to come. In fact we never should have – that’s way lower than Noro virus etc..

I am not promoting cruising at the moment, but a little perspective helps.

PS: love the crappy translation “passengers desinfected...”

The letter says “the areas” not the passengers. So much for common sense...

Cruiselawnews at its best 😂

Edited by Miaminice
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Miaminice said:

TUI now had over 50,000 passengers sailing under the strict protocols over the past months.

FOUR were now infected. As much is known, not on the ship.
Four detected, isolated, contacs traced and isolated, none of them infected...

System seems to work just fine.

If 50,000 to 4 - let’s do the math: 0,00008 % - is not an acceptable ratio... well, we won’t cruise for years to come. In fact we never should have – that’s way lower than Noro virus etc..

I am not promoting cruising at the moment, but a little perspective helps.

PS: love the crappy translation “passengers desinfected...”

The letter says “the areas” not the passengers. So much for common sense...

Cruiselawnews at its best 😂

The numbers are low I admit however the outbreak was discovered on board when passengers were being tested at the end of the cruise prior to a flight home. That resulted in four passengers who tested positive along with nine other passengers and 11 crew  being taken ashore for quarantine in a hotel on the Canary Islands. 

No protocols will ever be 100% successful.

Edited by BigAl94