CDC Requires Masks on Ships

Crazy For Cats

The CDC announced late yesterday that masks will be required for passengers.  This starts on February 1.  This is a link to the article:   https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/24289-cdc-order-to-require-passengers-to-wear-masks-on-ships.html?fbclid=IwAR2JlRGNkY1q_YRfdC6fwcF5zZYxwn3BdpXF19tHrk2vs8bJlwIo59eR2qk

• Thanks 1

Thanks Jake.

No surprise really right now.  Masks are required here everywhere so I would expect the same on a cruise ship. 

As time goes on this will be an evolving thing and we will all have to wait until closer to our cruises (or final payment) to see what the requirement is at the time.

• Like 2

The article says the cruises in Europe that happened all required face masks, so it's not surprising. It also mentioned that some lines distributed free face masks everyday. I smell a marketing opportunity - splash the HAL logo on the masks. Maybe have logo facemasks as the trivia prize instead of those metal pins 😁

• Like 1

I'm OK if masks are required, just so the same rule is applied for everyone aboard.  I plan to wear a mask on planes and at the Main Stages or other crowded venues of my future cruises, whether required or not. Not just because of Covid. I'm tired of getting the "cruise crud" on our travels from so many people coughing as the trip progresses. We got a bad case of cruise crud last January after a Caribean cruise, before the Covid became an issue. Over the past year wearing masks and distancing we haven't been sick once, and I think the masks really helped.

• Like 13

Just now, Mandalay1903 said:

I'm OK if masks are required, just so the same rule is applied for everyone aboard.  I plan to wear a mask on planes and at the Main Stages or other crowded venues of my future cruises, whether required or not. Not just because of Covid. I'm tired of getting the "cruise crud" on our travels from so many people coughing as the trip progresses. We got a bad case of cruise crud last January after a Caribean cruise, before the Covid became an issue. Over the past year wearing masks and distancing we haven't been sick once, and I think the masks really helped.

You sure it wasn't Covid?  It was a thing before it was officially a thing.  We took a Caribbean cruise in Feb and both got a bad case of the "Crud" too.  We now think it may have been Covid.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, kevingastreich said:

You sure it wasn't Covid?  It was a thing before it was officially a thing.  We took a Caribbean cruise in Feb and both got a bad case of the "Crud" too.  We now think it may have been Covid.

Yup. We got ourselves tested after the fact with "negative" as the result.

1 hour ago, kevingastreich said:

Same with us.  We had a horrible cough and felt terrible.  It lasted 2 weeks.  We were both diagnosed with bronchitis (which neither of us has ever had), but I have had my suspicions that it was covid.  I have never been sick like that. It was awful

Having had Covid, our family had it over the holidays, and having always worn a mask (zealously) and restricted our movement to only essential tasks while masked (dh work, son's trade school in person classes 2x's a week and work, minimal grocery store trips, dr appts), we get the mask thing. But we still GOT THE 'RONA. I got it first and I am a stay at home mom who for the last 6 mos goes nowhere. A trip to the dentist is like a holiday.... yes, the dentist. Notably I have a fantastic dentist who is hilarious. He makes going to the dentist fun. But still.

Thankfully our Covid cases were moderate for dh and myself and the kid's cases were literally the sniffles for a day. Also thankfully we passed it on to NO other family members and no coworkers. We had no fever, no chest congestion, or chest type cough. It was more like the worst sinus infection ever, incredible waxing and waning fatigue for 2 weeks, horrible headaches, and NO smell or taste for about 3 days which was incredibly weird and disconcerting. And the smell/taste thing happened literally over night like a switch had been flipped. That was the symptom that sent me to get tested, waking up and not being able to smell or taste my coffee!! That's like "the best part of waking up!!" I still don't feel like my sense of taste and smell are quite right.

All that said, no cruising for us until vaccine, period, full stop. 

Edited by fatcat04
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, fatcat04 said:

Having had Covid, our family had it over the holidays, and having always worn a mask (zealously) and restricted our movement to only essential tasks while masked (dh work, son's trade school in person classes 2x's a week and work, minimal grocery store trips, dr appts), we get the mask thing. But we still GOT THE 'RONA. I got it first and I am a stay at home mom who for the last 6 mos goes nowhere. A trip to the dentist is like a holiday.... yes, the dentist. Notably I have a fantastic dentist who is hilarious. He makes going to the dentist fun. But still.

Thankfully our Covid cases were moderate for dh and myself and the kid's cases were literally the sniffles for a day. Also thankfully we passed it on to NO other family members and no coworkers. We had no fever, no chest congestion, or chest type cough. It was more like the worst sinus infection ever, incredible waxing and waning fatigue for 2 weeks, horrible headaches, and NO smell or taste for about 3 days which was incredibly weird and disconcerting. And the smell/taste thing happened literally over night like a switch had been flipped. That was the symptom that sent me to get tested, waking up and not being able to smell or taste my coffee!! That's like "the best part of waking up!!" I still don't feel like my sense of taste and smell are quite right.

All that said, no cruising for us until vaccine, period, full stop. 

You’re kind of like the saying that bad things can happen to good people.  You do things right and still get it.  Glad it was not a severe case.

• Like 1

We will skip cruising if we had to wear masks in public  . how do you truly social distance all the time on any  ship that has maximum pax ?  what about dining ?  

Imo if we had to wear masks on any cruise ship we would not go  until we all got back to normal . We are in our 80s &   in  the highest category  for this virus .Now with  all the variant strains attacking & even more  infectious   ,a cruise ship environment is not a great place for us  . We di hope that  future boosters & or remade vaccines will stamp out this virus  & it does not raise its head like the annual flu

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mandalay1903 said:

Omg me too! I was sooo sick after 3 weeks on the Koningsdam last Feb. Still often wonder if it was Covid.

14 hours ago, Mandalay1903 said:

I have wondered the same thing.  On virtually every long cruise we do, the crud appears. It’s so bad they have a write up in the medical center on it.  We seem to get it about half the time and end up taking antibiotics to get rid of it.

Following the discussion in this thread, and I have read the linked orders.  I tried to find the fine print that covers unique situations like cruise ships.  The way I read this order, you have to wear a mask at all times except the few things like eating, taking meds and talking to a lip reader.  So.... would this include while in your stateroom or on your balcony during the cruise?  Rules written for an eight or ten hour flight don't translate well to a two week transatlantic trip.

What am I missing here?

2 hours ago, CNSJ said:

So.... would this include while in your stateroom or on your balcony during the cruise?

I was going to say "highly doubtful", but am changing that to "absolutely not if you are alone or with your traveling partners".  That wouldn't even make sense. 

• Like 1